What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Draft spot in league of 12...... (1 Viewer)

Best Draft Position

Votes: 19 20.7%

Votes: 5 5.4%

Votes: 29 31.5%

Votes: 9 9.8%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 4.3%

Votes: 5 5.4%

Votes: 6 6.5%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 11 12.0%

• Total voters
I like the 1st or 12th position. You can nab top RB with the first and still nab two more stud running backs on the turn around. Wide receiver position is so deep you can then go next 4 rounds and get best receiver available.

12th you can do the same but with receivers. Get two studs and then on the turn around get two pretty solid running backs. From there on you can take best WR/RB for a couple rounds then pick up a QB and TE.

I like the 1st or 12th position. You can nab top RB with the first and still nab two more stud running backs on the turn around. Wide receiver position is so deep you can then go next 4 rounds and get best receiver available.

12th you can do the same but with receivers. Get two studs and then on the turn around get two pretty solid running backs. From there on you can take best WR/RB for a couple rounds then pick up a QB and TE.

Agree with the above.

But in MY LEAGUES (which are generally start 3WRs) and close to standard scoring, I like dropping to the back and drafting in the later slots if I can.

I tend to think since our depth is a mandatory starting of 3 WRs, I like my teams a TON  better if I get two absolute studs at WR....which I routinely do with later picks.

In fact, I have done countless mocks this year going WR-WR-WR-QB and I love how my teams shake out like that.

Imaging starting out JULIO JONES, TYREEK HILL, AMARI COOPER, AND DESHAUN WATSON .   (I actually like going Julio, JuJu and another top end WR if I can too)

I feel like I am elite and a league winner at 4 starting positions, and I can mix and match my way to strong RB production. As the weeks go on, and the guys get hurt, many are looking to the wire for help at RB anyway.  Staying ahead and on top of those wire gems, makes my teams turn out extremely strong near the end of the fantasy season generally.

In our biggest league, we just pulled our draft slots lottery last night. We essentially pull names out of a hat, and say you get pulled #1. You don't get #1, unless thats what you want....you essentially get YOUR CHOICE of slots. Then we go down the list and the next pulled gets their choice of slots available, and so on, and so on.

I got pulled 6th, and I went straight back and took slot #12.

(I also saw this happen, which I thought was odd.  The first guy pulled took spot #1 and is almost certainly going Saquon Barkley. The second guy to get pulled, whom i thought would take the slot #2, instead said "put me down for slot #5".   :ph34r: )    That pretty much shocked everyone in our league.

Anyhow,  everyone has their preferences.  I would think anyone who gets #1 overall will indeed get Barkley.  Its pretty damn rare where you see virtually everyone in the industry admitting someone is basically #1 on most everyone's boards.   I know it depends on a multitude of things, keepers, ppr, settings, etc. etc.

I'm assuming the OP has his choice of spots......?  I'd like to see his league format before just automatically taking #1.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I always try to get as close to 12th as possible in my one league, this year I wound up with 9th and started David Johnson, Lev Bell as my 1st and 2nd round pick. Which, if we assume players play up to their potential in their offenses... to me? That's way better than starting say Saquon + Julian Edleman or something like that. DJ + Bell have it in them and have proven to have the ability to both be #1 overall player in your league. Saquon has proven that too but that guy you're getting at the 2/3 turn, most definitely hasn't proven that. Even from the 12 hole though you could be going something like Tyreek/James Conner which I also like more, I almost always prefer the look of my team from the later parts in the draft.

Personally, if I were to 'rank' my choices though I'd go like 12, 11, 10, 9, 1, 2, 3, 8, 4, 7, 5, 6

Those middle spots in the round can be BRUTAL as it almost always feels like you're reaching for someone there once you escape the 1st round.

Well, you guys are making me feel better about pulling the 12th pick for the 2nd year in a row! (though I did win from that spot last year)

Personally I always want one of the top 3 or 4 picks so I can nab a stud RB, but if not I'll take 10-12. Find myself having a hard time choosing in the first two rounds when I pick from anywhere in the middle.

I know a lot of people like going WR-WR from the 12 spot, but I hate having a weak RB1. I also think that in PPR, WR2 is the easiest position to fill. As long as I get one stud WR early I'm happy.

Edit: The other thing I realized about the 12 spot, at least in my league that means I am first in waiver priority after week 1 which can be huge.

Agree with the above.

But in MY LEAGUES (which are generally start 3WRs) and close to standard scoring, I like dropping to the back and drafting in the later slots if I can.

I tend to think since our depth is a mandatory starting of 3 WRs, I like my teams a TON  better if I get two absolute studs at WR....which I routinely do with later picks.

In fact, I have done countless mocks this year going WR-WR-WR-QB and I love how my teams shake out like that.

Imaging starting out JULIO JONES, TYREEK HILL, AMARI COOPER, AND DESHAUN WATSON .   (I actually like going Julio, JuJu and another top end WR if I can too)

I feel like I am elite and a league winner at 4 starting positions, and I can mix and match my way to strong RB production. As the weeks go on, and the guys get hurt, many are looking to the wire for help at RB anyway.  Staying ahead and on top of those wire gems, makes my teams turn out extremely strong near the end of the fantasy season generally.

In our biggest league, we just pulled our draft slots lottery last night. We essentially pull names out of a hat, and say you get pulled #1. You don't get #1, unless thats what you want....you essentially get YOUR CHOICE of slots. Then we go down the list and the next pulled gets their choice of slots available, and so on, and so on.

I got pulled 6th, and I went straight back and took slot #12.

(I also saw this happen, which I thought was odd.  The first guy pulled took spot #1 and is almost certainly going Saquon Barkley. The second guy to get pulled, whom i thought would take the slot #2, instead said "put me down for slot #5".   :ph34r: )    That pretty much shocked everyone in our league.

Anyhow,  everyone has their preferences.  I would think anyone who gets #1 overall will indeed get Barkley.  Its pretty damn rare where you see virtually everyone in the industry admitting someone is basically #1 on most everyone's boards.   I know it depends on a multitude of things, keepers, ppr, settings, etc. etc.

I'm assuming the OP has his choice of spots......?  I'd like to see his league format before just automatically taking #1.

TZM
I’ve been experimenting with RB zero & like it from the 10th spot. I like either end (1-3 or 10-12) but too often this year I felt like I was taking leftovers instead of BPA. Doesn’t feel like there’s any edge to just taking the player at the top of my draft list.

For example, typical mock starts out with 7 RBs and 2 WRs. Big 3, Elliott, DJ and two of Bell/Connors/Chubb. Do I feel good about taking Cook or Mixon over the next 3 WRs? Pretty much compelled to take Julio or Thomas or OBJ. Which means the 15th pick it’s Gurley or Gordon (nope), Kelce, JuJu or Hill. By the time the third round comes around I’m looking at Fournette as my RB1 & Ingram or Jacobs as my RB2. More compelling than that if I’ve started WR-WR is to take Cooper/Hilton/Diggs/Cooks and then Watson at the 39th pick.

But drafts are fluid. You have to adjust based on what’s there, I’m never rigid about “I’m def doing this or that.”

ETA: we start 3 WRs AND a W/R/T flex plus 2 RBs (e.g., 10 starters), so it’s a little different than most leagues. Full PPR so I’m content filling out my backfield with satellites.

3 - lock in that stud RB and then get an early 3rd as well before the drop-off.

You could end up with Kamara/Chubb/Evans or something like that if things fall right.  3 picks in the top 27 is going to be a nice advantage this year, IMO.

3- If Zeke is holding out.

4- if Zeke signs.

Irrespective of format, there are four players, all of whom are RBs, that stand above the crowd this year. Order them how you like. If you get one, I feel that sets you apart from everyone in the 5-12 spot. 

I like the 12 - 13 spots. That way I can holler as the 13 owner at the owner of the 12 for taking too long to decide.

You could end up with Kamara/Chubb/Evans or something like that if things fall right.  3 picks in the top 27 is going to be a nice advantage this year, IMO.
This is my thinking as well. About the best spot. You get a stud RB and I have always felt there is a big drop from the beginning of round 3 to the end of round 3.

I had the 4th pick in a  12 team no ppr.

Zeke Beckham and kittle to start. Ended up with Michel and Lockett. Wilson and newton.  Pretty happy as long as Zeke signs 

If you had to chose in a ReDraft league.  

What draft spot would you choose?
Don't over think it... in non ppr, 1 is the best this year hands down.  Then 2.  Then 3.  Then 4.  After that you can debate it. 

Agree. #3 is solid.  You get Barkley, Kamara or CMC with 1.03 and your next two picks are usually solid performers as well.  If Kelce is there at 3.03 I would be tempted.

Agree. #3 is solid.  You get Barkley, Kamara or CMC with 1.03 and your next two picks are usually solid performers as well.  If Kelce is there at 3.03 I would be tempted.
2 weeks ago it was #4 that was the best as it was a big 4.  I hate taking the gamble that all 3 of your 'targets' will be uninjured by the time the draft rolls around. We just did a derby draft 2 weeks ago and the top guy picked slot 4 because he wanted any of the big 4 rb's.  He's kicking himself hard right now for doing that.

If you like all three of those rb's the same, take pick 2 to be safe and get the one you really want.  22 isn't that much better than 23, and you get an earlier 3rd too.

3- If Zeke is holding out.

4- if Zeke signs.

Irrespective of format, there are four players, all of whom are RBs, that stand above the crowd this year. Order them how you like. If you get one, I feel that sets you apart from everyone in the 5-12 spot. 
Yes, this is hoe I feel. That is a big leg up if you have one of those first 3/4. 

I drew 10 and traded it to the guy who drew 6.  So now I am in the 6 spot by design.

Depends on your league but I like being in the middle in some leagues, whenever someone does something wacky I can suck up valued from both ways.

I’ve mocked several times from every spot now. 

My 1.12 teams have consistently been among the best. 

1.10 & 1.11 as well. 

The draft seems a little deeper in the first ~18 picks this year. Some question marks sprinkled throughout for sure, but it’s a fine year to pick 10-12. 

Assuming getting 2 stud WRs or a stud WR+Chubb 1-2 is a great start to a team. And then there’s some value in the 3/4 rounds at RB/WR as well.

i like 3, as does the majority it seems, but there’s definitely a bit of a drop-off between rounds 2 & 3 from “elite” to “near elite” on my draft board. 

10-12 you’re nailing down 2 blue chip players. 

We do KTS, so we pick our draft positions as we pull names. 

I have a hard time turning down a 1-3 draft spot, but after that, 12 is my pick. 

Tempted to take 3 if I draft #1. The value of being at the bookend & getting back to back picks is legit though. 

I drew 10 and traded it to the guy who drew 6.  So now I am in the 6 spot by design.

Depends on your league but I like being in the middle in some leagues, whenever someone does something wacky I can suck up valued from both ways.
One of the best drafts I’ve ever had was from 6. And you summed it up perfectly - players slip, and you can be the stopper. 

It takes a little more work, but you should have value fall to you both directions. 

The only downside is the # of picks between picks makes it difficult to plan your next moves.

1st is one of the worst picks. Kamara 4th then Evans. Boom!!
I'd take first every time. Barkley is a generational talent and I think the Giants line is gonna be better and QB play because of this should be better. I don't love the choices at the end of the second but sometimes someone good falls do to mistakes made by other owners.

One of the best drafts I’ve ever had was from 6. And you summed it up perfectly - players slip, and you can be the stopper. 

It takes a little more work, but you should have value fall to you both directions. 

The only downside is the # of picks between picks makes it difficult to plan your next moves.
I ended up with  

Hopkins

JuJu

Henry

Michel

Engram

First five from this spot so I'll take it, like being able to capture slippage from both directions.

I ended up with  

Hopkins

JuJu

Henry

Michel

Engram

First five from this spot so I'll take it, like being able to capture slippage from both directions.
Juju was an absolute steal at 2.07, and Michele a solid value at 4.07

i like it. I’d like it more if I was a Henry fan, but the Titans scare me as a whole. 

Revoting today now that Zeke has signed, I'd pick #4.  Guaranteed one of the big 4 RBs, and an earlier 2nd round pick

Juju was an absolute steal at 2.07, and Henry a solid value at 4.07

i like it. I’d like it more if I was a Henry fan, but the Titans scare me as a whole. 
Unless I'm missing something he got Henry with his 3rd rounder, which is a little on the aggressive side IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread