What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

Will Steelers be the team to bring Kap aboard like they did with Vick?? 

They say they want to grab a vet, not sure who is out there??

i would laugh if they brought Landry Jones back. 

Ben is a big man, a man who appears to maybe enjoy his food.  I am wondering if he is out for a season whether he might balloon up and decide, at his age, things are just over he would rather eat and recreate than work his ### off.  I don't know what this propensity will be, but I wonder.  I do note that if this is the end he can be proud of his on field accomplishments. 

After all the drama from the last year I would be shocked if they brought Kaepernick in. Can you imagine the media circus it would create?  

Idiot Boxer said:
Let the Mason Rudolph era begin.  

In all honesty, he looked better in 1/2+ than Ben did in 1 1/2.  

Cut Moncreif.  Resign Eli.  Add a ww QB.

Beat 9ers.
I'm not quite ready to cut Moncreif yet.    Maybe the broken finger is causing issues but I would keep him for now. 

I would rather see Switzer cut and Eli signed since it looks like Johnson may be the punt returner going forward and Switzer brings very little to the table IMO. 

He makes the most sense.  He was on the team for 4 years so he knows the system.  

Landry Jones 🤢 

I’d rather see Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich come out of retirement and I’m only quasi joking. Think Kurt Warner still wants a shot?

Landry Jones 🤢 

I’d rather see Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich come out of retirement and I’m only quasi joking. Think Kurt Warner still wants a shot?
Let's face it.  If Rudolph goes down or fizzles does it really matter who the QB will be after him?

Let's face it.  If Rudolph goes down or fizzles does it really matter who the QB will be after him?
Which is why they should just make it Hodges and hold their breath. Zero point of pretending some vet is going to come in and save them. That ship has pretty much sailed. There are vets I wouldn’t mind taking the chance on and Jones is not one of them. Arms that come to mind: Trade for Tyrod Taylor (only if Rudolph isn’t your starter and QB of the future. I doubt this.), Cardale Jones (huge arm, why not, looked really good this preseason), Logan Woodside (enjoyed his play and efficiency coming out, D.Johnson had best college season with him). 

Which is why they should just make it Hodges and hold their breath. Zero point of pretending some vet is going to come in and save them. That ship has pretty much sailed. There are vets I wouldn’t mind taking the chance on and Jones is not one of them. Arms that come to mind: Trade for Tyrod Taylor (only if Rudolph isn’t your starter and QB of the future. I doubt this.), Cardale Jones (huge arm, why not, looked really good this preseason), Logan Woodside (enjoyed his play and efficiency coming out, D.Johnson had best college season with him). 
Fair enough.  I don't have a strong opinion either way but if it were me I would probably sign the veteran.

ETA:  Just found out that Jones can't be signed by the Steelers because he is contractually bound by the XFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Ben is truly done, but doesn't retire then we'd have to cut him and pay him $25 mil next year instead of $21 mil. We would save $15 mil overall for the cap but wouldn't really see that until 2021.  Not sure if this surgery is something he can bounce back from and be 100% next year. 
I quoted you because I felt like instantly when he came off the field that he was done. I've always admired the way Ben played on the field and his command of the offense in general. His ability to hang in the pocket a little longer, very Marino-like in that regard but I thought...you've watched Luck walk away and you have a lot more including $225M over his career including $45M this season, 3 SB trips, 2 rings, many playoff runs, what is there left for him to prove? I might be wrong but I seem to remember Bradshaw finally having to retire because of his elbow but I might be wrong. 

I think Ben might be done for good, just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong. I've enjoyed watching him play for a long time even though i don't root for the Steelers. 

I quoted you because I felt like instantly when he came off the field that he was done. I've always admired the way Ben played on the field and his command of the offense in general. His ability to hang in the pocket a little longer, very Marino-like in that regard but I thought...you've watched Luck walk away and you have a lot more including $225M over his career including $45M this season, 3 SB trips, 2 rings, many playoff runs, what is there left for him to prove? I might be wrong but I seem to remember Bradshaw finally having to retire because of his elbow but I might be wrong. 

I think Ben might be done for good, just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong. I've enjoyed watching him play for a long time even though i don't root for the Steelers. 
You are 100% correct, it was Bradshaw's elbow.   He had missed the entire 1983 but did come back for the final game against the Jets.  The Steelers needed a win against the to make the playoffs and the starter that year was Cliff Stoudt who started off okay but slumped badly down the stretch.

Bradshaw threw 2 TDs in the fist half but on the second one he heard a pop in the elbow and he knew he was done. 

ETA:  The jets game was actually the second to the last game of the 1983 season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Steelers should sign Kyle Sloter from the Cards practice squad. Solid preseason, if they don't believe in Hodges why not give another guy a shot. 
Good call. Sloter is a guy both Denver and Minnesota’s fan base fell in love with from his preseason play.

You know there is a team in Miami that is really really really trying to lose games.   I wonder if we can work a trade for Josh Rosen.  Probably have to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him and maybe he isn't as good as Rudolph but he would be a better backup 

You are 100% correct, it was Bradshaw's elbow.   He had missed the entire 1983 but did come back for the final game against the Jets.  The Steelers needed a win against the to make the playoffs and the starter that year was Cliff Stoudt who started off okay but slumped badly down the stretch.

Bradshaw threw 2 TDs in the fist half but on the second one he heard a pop in the elbow and he knew he was done.  
And somewhere today if he hasn't already is Terry Bradshaw on the phone talking to Ben and walking him thru this. I don't think Ben needs to make a hasty decision and I'm not discounting all the money that Pitt handed over to him which does two things...first he can take his time, in fact I think Pitt wanted to make sure he was away rest of the season, both sides can think about what they want to do next couple years. 

Pitt might not be able to get in the Tua sweepstakes but Trevor Lawrence will be coming out in 2021 Draft, both of those names are Prime Targets next couple years and a few other QBs look to be franchise types. It's a great time to turn the page on guys like Manning or in this case Rothlisberger and decide what you want the franchise to look like in 2020 or 2022 etc...some teams are going to change the arc of their franchise for the next decade with some of these QBs, you can prosper or watch others lock them up.  

And somewhere today if he hasn't already is Terry Bradshaw on the phone talking to Ben and walking him thru this. I don't think Ben needs to make a hasty decision and I'm not discounting all the money that Pitt handed over to him which does two things...first he can take his time, in fact I think Pitt wanted to make sure he was away rest of the season, both sides can think about what they want to do next couple years. 

Pitt might not be able to get in the Tua sweepstakes but Trevor Lawrence will be coming out in 2021 Draft, both of those names are Prime Targets next couple years and a few other QBs look to be franchise types. It's a great time to turn the page on guys like Manning or in this case Rothlisberger and decide what you want the franchise to look like in 2020 or 2022 etc...some teams are going to change the arc of their franchise for the next decade with some of these QBs, you can prosper or watch others lock them up.  
Or maybe Mason Rudolph works out and the Steelers get the 32nd pick in the 1st round ;)

I'm not quite ready to cut Moncreif yet.    Maybe the broken finger is causing issues but I would keep him for now. 

I would rather see Switzer cut and Eli signed since it looks like Johnson may be the punt returner going forward and Switzer brings very little to the table IMO. 
I would 1000% rather have Switzer than Moncreif.  

1st Ballot but know some will argue against him. Some of it stems from his off field problems from about a decade ago? 

2 Super Bowl rings, threw for over 5,000 yds his last season 36 yrs old. 

6x Pro Bowl

Kurt Warner went in 1st ballot I believe, Ben's body of work is impressive and steady over a long period of time spanning about 15 years. 

Won 2 Super Bowls in the AFC which has been dominated by New England for 2 decades now, that's impressive. 

That's like Ken Stabler winning a ring when Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw and Roger Staubach were winning Super Bowls, that '76 SB ring is one of the biggest accomplishments by any NFL team ever, they won in a conference that had 6 Super Bowl rings spread amongst Miami and Pitt in the 70s. 

Who would people rank ahead of him during the last 15 years? Think about the writers who vote vs the people who post around here... 

Also have to realize the number of HOF quality QB right now.  There are at least 3 guaranteed that could retire soon (Brady, Brees, Rodgers).  Then you have 2 or 3 questionable ones (Ben, Rivers, Eli).   Unless they decide to put a bunch of QB in at once then Ben might have to wait in line.

Also have to realize the number of HOF quality QB right now.  There are at least 3 guaranteed that could retire soon (Brady, Brees, Rodgers).  Then you have 2 or 3 questionable ones (Ben, Rivers, Eli).   Unless they decide to put a bunch of QB in at once then Ben might have to wait in line.
Looked into this recently.  In the early 1970s, we actually had 10 or 11 HOF QBs playing for a period of 5 years, including Blanda, Unitas, Starr, Jurgensen, Dawson, Tarkenton, Namath, Griese, Staubach, Stabler and Bradshaw. 

So right now we have 5 or 6 HOF QBs playing, I'm fine with that.  Luck ain't making it now.  The next guys in line, should they continue on current trajectory would be Mahommes and maybe Wilson?

You know there is a team in Miami that is really really really trying to lose games.   I wonder if we can work a trade for Josh Rosen.  Probably have to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him and maybe he isn't as good as Rudolph but he would be a better backup 
Hell no. Plus we don't have a 3rd next year yet and that second might be a top 40 pick. 

OPTIMISM BACK BABY!

Mason is Big Ben 2.0. Instead of getting knocked out the first game of the season, it's game 2. But he goes on to win 14 in a row and win a playoff game before unfortunately falling to the Pats in the AFC Championship. Then he wins us the SB next year. Calling it now. 

Eli Rogers tweeted he was not there to sign. Rather he was there to thank Rooney for the opportunity before moving home.  Says would welcome another chance. 

so did that ligament just tear on its own from that throw?  (obviously must have been wearing down over time.)
I heard a blurb on the radio that Rudolph says Ben's elbow was sore after the NE game. Might have started there and popped it when he tried to throw hard on Sunday.

Big Ben out for season but Conner says he's OK https://es.pn/2ZYiLM2
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

"

Later Monday, Roethlisberger said in a statement that the news was "shocking and heartbreaking" and that he feels "like I am letting down so many people." The quarterback said he plans to return to play next season.

"The Steelers committed three years to me this offseason and I fully intend to honor my contract and reward them with championship-level play. I will do all I can to support Mason (Rudolph) and the team this season to help win games. I love this game, my teammates, the Steelers organization and fans, and I feel in my heart I have a lot left to give," he said."

Redskins, Cowboys, Chiefs, Steelers, Eagles, and Seahawks as teams buzzing on Minkah Fitzpatrick.

He is expecting to be traded by Thursday.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

TRADE: Steelers are trading a 2020 first-round pick to the Dolphins for DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, league sources tell ESPN.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

TRADE: Steelers are trading a 2020 first-round pick to the Dolphins for DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, league sources tell ESPN.
Boy, I sure hope they’re right. If this team takes a crap with Ben’s injury that’s a high price to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread