What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The deficit is over a trillion dollars a year. (2 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/govt-agency-predicts-trillion-dollar-deficits-for-the-foreseeable-future.amp

Under the last few years of Obama, after sequestration and the bipartisan tax increase, we managed to lower the deficit to about $400 million a year. Not great but it was still going down when he left office. 

Now it’s exploded. Tax cuts plus military spending. Over a trillion a year. And we’re not even spending it on infrastructure or fighting climate change. 

This is stupid, stupid, stupid. 

Military spending needs to be scaled way back. I'm talking 40-50%. The world has been at peace since WWII and we keep spending on military. Last I checked, diplomacy doesn't cost much of anything. I'd bet much of the 40-50% of the cost in military spending is on private contractors. Get rid of them... all of them... money saved.

I agree. It’s sad. $1,000,000,000,000 and what are we spending it on? Dismantling the ACA, ruining the environment, and giving millionaires more money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/govt-agency-predicts-trillion-dollar-deficits-for-the-foreseeable-future.amp

Under the last few years of Obama, after sequestration and the bipartisan tax increase, we managed to lower the deficit to about $400 million a year. Not great but it was still going down when he left office. 

Now it’s exploded. Tax cuts plus military spending. Over a trillion a year. And we’re not even spending it on infrastructure or fighting climate change. 

Well, duh.

You should have know when you saw the Tea Party rioting in the streets and voting for Democrats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, duh.

You should have know when you saw the Tea Party rioting in the streets and voting for Democrats.
The Democrats don’t exactly get a break here. While this current situation is on Trump, I don’t hear too many of the Democratic candidates talking about this issue. To the contrary: Warren and Sanders are proposing massive new spending. 

The next politician from either side who says “let’s stop spending and raise taxes until we get this debt under control” will be the first. 

Trump's biggest error was not focusing on infrastructure, while he had the house. There would've even been bipartisan support and something to show for the deficit. And more ROI.

And we have 7 million more without health insurance in a good economy.

Trump's biggest error was not focusing on infrastructure, while he had the house. There would've even been bipartisan support and something to show for the deficit. And more ROI.

Winning? 

Republicans have been sharing the news that federal receipts have risen by 3% this year, but spending is up by 8% so, spending is the real issue as it's outpacing the money coming in.

Nope.  It's 100% GOP.
do you have links to the voting etc? 

this is Trump's administration, it all falls on him .... and while GOP/DNC controls a House or Senate on deficit's / budgeting etc its often bipartisan isn't it ? I mean national debt has increased every year for the last how many decades? 

our Elected Govt officials spend, spend and spend more because they're not held accountable really. 

But we are moving towards getting a Space Force, having Soviet style military parades, and are preparing to purchase Greenland, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

who's voting all this in ? 

I suspect GOP and DNC actually are all doing it
What is "all this"?  The primary driver of this deficit is the tax breaks for the wealthy and large companies.  I really hope you know who voted for and against that legislation.

History of the vote if you really care to educate yourself on how it went down.

Exactly...600 billion more per year by the above numbers...and no infrastructure...no improved healthcare.  That should easily be the Democratic Candidates campaign ads.

do you have links to the voting etc? 

this is Trump's administration, it all falls on him .... and while GOP/DNC controls a House or Senate on deficit's / budgeting etc its often bipartisan isn't it ? I mean national debt has increased every year for the last how many decades? 

our Elected Govt officials spend, spend and spend more because they're not held accountable really. 
The deficit you're seeing came to be when the GOP held the Presidency, House and Senate.  Nothing really "bipartisan" about this particular issue.

The amount of spending is not a primary driver?
I don't understand the question...spending over and above what we can afford is what creates a deficit.  When I have $10 to spend and I spend $20, I create a deficit of $10.  With the tax bill, we didn't have the trillions it was going to cost to enact the cuts, so now we are running a deficit.  It doesn't matter that I spent my budget of $30 billion on projects x,y,z....that money was accounted for.

The Democrats don’t exactly get a break here. While this current situation is on Trump, I don’t hear too many of the Democratic candidates talking about this issue. To the contrary: Warren and Sanders are proposing massive new spending. 

The next politician from either side who says “let’s stop spending and raise taxes until we get this debt under control” will be the first. 
It’s a bull#### premise. This country has the collective wealth to have nice things and not break the budget. 

Exactly...600 billion more per year by the above numbers...and no infrastructure...no improved healthcare.  That should easily be the Democratic Candidates campaign ads.
Plus healthcare and reasonable gun control laws, climate issues. So much they could run on.

Plus healthcare and reasonable gun control laws, climate issues. So much they could run on.
Sure...those are their proposals and should be put side by side with...sure the other side will say it costs too much and contrast with the deficit and how it came to be this high.

That is what is puzzling to me.  Sanders wants tax payers to pay off all college debt, then he was a taxpayers to fund college so nobody has to pay.   I work hard for my money and am not a rich FBG.  This has to hit me in the wallet too. I worked my way through college and it took me over 6 years with 2 years at a community college.  I have a little debt but not much.   Had I decided at 18 I wanted to Arizona or ASU for 4 years I would be saddled with a ton of debt.  So will I get a rebate from being aware of my financial situation.

Military spending needs to be scaled way back. I'm talking 40-50%. The world has been at peace since WWII and we keep spending on military. Last I checked, diplomacy doesn't cost much of anything. I'd bet much of the 40-50% of the cost in military spending is on private contractors. Get rid of them... all of them... money saved.
Just get out of the Middle East. 

(Is Afghanistan considered Middle East?)

The deficit you're seeing came to be when the GOP held the Presidency, House and Senate.  Nothing really "bipartisan" about this particular issue.
what do you credit the 9 trillion in added national debt under Obama? Deficit looked nice, national debt went berzerker

or does one matter and the other not ?

That is what is puzzling to me.  Sanders wants tax payers to pay off all college debt, then he was a taxpayers to fund college so nobody has to pay.   I work hard for my money and am not a rich FBG.  This has to hit me in the wallet too. I worked my way through college and it took me over 6 years with 2 years at a community college.  I have a little debt but not much.   Had I decided at 18 I wanted to Arizona or ASU for 4 years I would be saddled with a ton of debt.  So will I get a rebate from being aware of my financial situation.
no you will not

you earned your way - congratulations, now you can pay people's way who don't want to earn theirs

This free college is a silly issue.  It’s not a right. College isn’t for everyone. Quit acting like it is. We need electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc. much more than we need Communications majors.  Maybe incentivize and subsidize people that get into teaching or math/computers and sciences. 

This free college is a silly issue.  It’s not a right. College isn’t for everyone. Quit acting like it is. We need electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc. much more than we need Communications majors.  Maybe incentivize and subsidize people that get into teaching or math/computers and sciences. 
Maybe free community college and voc schools only. 

I don't like the free college proposal either.  I would like to see it be more affordable though.  It's a little outrageous now.  I also agree with more trade schools and I think it's already trending more in that direction.  I think a lot of it starts with parents around my age.  We are at the age where we've seen that spending all that money on college wasn't all that beneficial and that there are plenty of high paying jobs that don't require much college or any at all.  I think over the next 10 years we'll see a major swing.

what do you credit the 9 trillion in added national debt under Obama? Deficit looked nice, national debt went berzerker

Both matter to me.  I know that's a novel concept to many of you, but that's how I approach it.  That said, the circumstances under which we accumulated the debt under Obama were significantly different than the circumstances we are accumulating debt under Trump.  The circumstances are incredibly important in understanding what's going on.  Not only that, the trends are very different under each.  

Both matter to me.  I know that's a novel concept to many of you, but that's how I approach it.  That said, the circumstances under which we accumulated the debt under Obama were significantly different than the circumstances we are accumulating debt under Trump.  Not only that, the trends are very different under each.  
I don't know why this continues to get ignored.

I don't like the free college proposal either.  I would like to see it be more affordable though.  It's a little outrageous now.  I also agree with more trade schools and I think it's already trending more in that direction.  I think a lot of it starts with parents around my age.  We are at the age where we've seen that spending all that money on college wasn't all that beneficial and that there are plenty of high paying jobs that don't require much college or any at all.  I think over the next 10 years we'll see a major swing.
The college bubble is going to bust soon.  Affordability is key.  Saving for 2 kids now.  The forecasted costs in 10 years are astronomical even for in-state public schools.  

of course its different - if you don't like Trump its especially important even though the debt hasn't risen at nearly the % rate in this administration ... that's important because this Govt can add 5 trillion to national debt each if they so choose - there is nothing for accountability :(  

i've said it since day 1 .... if each year of national debt addition is only equal to the last year Obama added ... that's huge success

uh ... do just the opposite

get a few hundred grand in debt RIGHT NOW because the Democrats will eventually get all 3 branches and forgive all student debt

its the easiest half million in debt you will ever get erased I promise
If so, I can use my 529 for other things.  I can’t trust anyone to fix that mess. 

I would like to see it be more affordable though. 
The easiest way to make college more affordable is to get the government out of the student loan business.

However, if the government wasn't providing loans to almost everyone, the number of disadvantaged people who could attend college would be severely curtailed. This would bring cries of both racism and classism. It's a dangerous proposal.

I seem to remember a certain Democrat named Walter Mondale who said if elected he would raise taxes to get the debt under control in 1984.

He won Minnesota and the District of Columbia.

Deficit spending makes some sense in a recession. Not so much when the economy is doing well. That's simple economics.

If we are going to spend money - I'd rather it go to the masses, than to the military industrial complex.
I don't disagree, but we're already spending a lot of money on the masses. 3.3T on entitlements to 800B of military in 2019. Spending Review 
Reducing military by 50% is barely a 10% increase to entitlement spend. 

What tangible benefits do you get for spending 37% of the world's total defense spending, compared to, say, 25% (which is still more than China, India, Russia and Saudi Arabia, combined)?
I prefer the wisdom of Patrick Ewing here, "People complain that pro athletes the USA makes a lot of money; but what they don't understand is that we need a lot of money because we spend a lot of money."

When you look at military spend as a % of GDP, we're not in the top-20. Of the countries you listed we're already spending less as a % of GDP than Russia and Saudi Arabia and cutting military spend by 50% would put us behind China and India. 

Users who are viewing this thread