What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mixon at 1.05? (1 Viewer)

Rhythmdoctor

Footballguy
I'm getting ready to draft in another high stakes league and again I got the 1.05.  Last time I took Hopkins.  I really want a RB and assuming Zeke is gone, I'm seriously considering Mixon at 1.05.  He's sort of flying under the radar of the top 5 RB discussion.  The below order is kind of how I see it as of now.  I'm putting stock in that I believe Zeke will sign sooner than later.  But really, Mixon seems like the surest bet after the top 4.  Thoughts?

Barkley

CMC

Kamara

Zeke

Mixon

David Johnson

Conner

Cook

Bell

Gurley

Last edited by a moderator:
Refer to the “am I crazy to take Dalvin Cook” topic. Take 87% of my responses & sub-in the name “mixon” & add the qualifier that i believe the Bengals are cursed, and you have my best advice.

but do what you want. There will be many, many, many people who will sensibly try to talk you out of this.

you aren’t obligated to listen to them. But it’s probably good advice. :)  

I'm happy taking Mixon.  Need to mix it and I want to go RB heavy.  Tons of WRs with upside now with offenses spreading more etc... I just think Mixon has a really safe floor and top 5 upside.  Bell took a year off and is on a new team.  David Johnson has a new coach, QB, best WR is 35, tons of question marks. 

Here's how my draft shook out:

1.05 - Mixon

2.08 - Mike Evans (I love Evans this season. See him in the top 5 for WRs)

3.05 - Fournette (don't love it but screams value if he actually has got his head on straight.  Trent Richards or Marshawn Lynch?)

4.08 - E. Engram (I think he's squarely in the top 5 TEs this year)

5.05 - M. Ingram (starting RB on a grind it out defensive team as my RB3? Yes please)

6.08 - W. Fuller (I have a motto: draft explosive players. When healthy he's been a beast)

7.05 - Robby Anderson (He and Darnold starting clicking late last year IIRC)

8.08 - LeSean McCoy (don't love it, wasn't targeting him but starting RB in the 8th)

9.05 - S. Shepard (WR1 by default. Don't love having him with Engram but he's a bench player for me, so no biggie)

10.08 - K. Hunt (With my RB depth, I can afford to wait 1/2 season and see what happens)

11.05 - Rivers (Mr. reliable. Every. Season.)

12.08 - D. Metcalf 

13.05 - Ronald Jones II

14.08 - N'Keal Harry

15.05 - Greg Olsen (former perennial top 5 TE.  He could get close if healthy)

16.08 - RAVENS DST (Always solid)

17.05 - Arcega-White

18.08 - D. Carr

19.05 - Elliott (PK)

20.08 - AJ Brown

Refer to the “am I crazy to take Dalvin Cook” topic. Take 87% of my responses & sub-in the name “mixon” & add the qualifier that i believe the Bengals are cursed, and you have my best advice.

but do what you want. There will be many, many, many people who will sensibly try to talk you out of this.

you aren’t obligated to listen to them. But it’s probably good advice. :)  
The challenge is that I was adamant about not taking a WR here since I'm trying to balance my teams.  So with that in mind, IMO, Mixon is the best RB option at the 1.05 spot.  If I had only 1 draft this season and faced with the 1.05 and assuming top 4 RBs off the board, I'm going WR most likely.  In this case, however, I'm trying to hedge my team structure so RB is what I was targeting.

I'm happy taking Mixon.  Need to mix it and I want to go RB heavy.  Tons of WRs with upside now with offenses spreading more etc... I just think Mixon has a really safe floor and top 5 upside.  Bell took a year off and is on a new team.  David Johnson has a new coach, QB, best WR is 35, tons of question marks. 

1.05 - Mixon

3.05 - Fournette (don't love it but screams value if he actually has got his head on straight.  Trent Richards or Marshawn Lynch?)

5.05 - M. Ingram (starting RB on a grind it out defensive team as my RB3? Yes please)

6.08 - W. Fuller (I have a motto: draft explosive players. When healthy he's been a beast)

8.08 - LeSean McCoy (don't love it, wasn't targeting him but starting RB in the 8th)

9.05 - S. Shepard (WR1 by default. Don't love having him with Engram but he's a bench player for me, so no biggie)

10.08 - K. Hunt (With my RB depth, I can afford to wait 1/2 season and see what happens)

12.08 - D. Metcalf 

13.05 - Ronald Jones II

14.08 - N'Keal Harry

17.05 - Arcega-White

18.08 - D. Carr

19.05 - Elliott (PK)

20.08 - AJ Brown
Not exactly sure what the point of this topic was. 

You were clearly set on taking him, yet there’s a question mark in the topic title. 

Why not title it “I’m taking Mixon 1.05 - suck it everyone! Haha!”  

I’m not a fan of your resulting team. Don’t love your WRs, and your RB depth isn’t great. Both Mixon & Fournette play on what should be below average offenses & both have had trouble staying healthy. 

But it’s not my team, so that’s all perfectly ok. I’m glad you like your team. 👍🏼

Good luck with that. 

The challenge is that I was adamant about not taking a WR here since I'm trying to balance my teams.  So with that in mind, IMO, Mixon is the best RB option at the 1.05 spot.  If I had only 1 draft this season and faced with the 1.05 and assuming top 4 RBs off the board, I'm going WR most likely.  In this case, however, I'm trying to hedge my team structure so RB is what I was targeting.
There are several RBs I’d rank higher than Mixon, but each to their own. 

Not exactly sure what the point of this topic was. 

You were clearly set on taking him, yet there’s a question mark in the topic title. 

Why not title it “I’m taking Mixon 1.05 - suck it everyone! Haha!”  

I’m not a fan of your resulting team. Don’t love your WRs, and your RB depth isn’t great. Both Mixon & Fournette play on what should be below average offenses & both have had trouble staying healthy. 

But it’s not my team, so that’s all perfectly ok. I’m glad you like your team. 👍🏼

Good luck with that. 
I think RB depth is my strength.  My 4th RB is McCoy who is a starting RB, albeit an aging one.  Then I have Hunt and Jones who could be starting or have significant roles by year end.  WR is where I have the least certainty but I love Fuller and if he can put together a healthy season, it's gonna be fun to watch.

List them.  Why not?
Again, you already drafted, rendering this topic moot. Better if it just quietly dies off the front page. 

But if you insist, David Johnson, Chubb to start, also Connor & Bell. Also Possibly Cook & maybe even Gurley. 

But none of that matters because you took Mixon. Best of luck. 👍🏼

I had the #3 pick in my PPR redraft this year and felt obligated to take whoever fell out of CMC, Saquon, and Kamara, but Mixon was the next name on my list.

One of the best three down backs in the league and, while the Bengals might not be great, the other RBs on the board all have their share of issues. Literally every guy has some type of issue you can nitpick if you want to. When in doubt, I go with talent.

Again, you already drafted, rendering this topic moot. Better if it just quietly dies off the front page. 

But if you insist, David Johnson, Chubb to start, also Connor & Bell. Also Possibly Cook & maybe even Gurley. 

But none of that matters because you took Mixon. Best of luck. 👍🏼
Why is the topic moot?  I wasn't asking for advice.  The thought dawned on me and I pulled the trigger.  There will be many others who will decide RB at 1.05 so this topic is still relevant.  You seem grouchy.

I had the #3 pick in my PPR redraft this year and felt obligated to take whoever fell out of CMC, Saquon, and Kamara, but Mixon was the next name on my list.

One of the best three down backs in the league and, while the Bengals might not be great, the other RBs on the board all have their share of issues. Literally every guy has some type of issue you can nitpick if you want to. When in doubt, I go with talent.
Exactly my point and why I took Mixon.  Arrow pointing up.  Going into his 3rd season, Green aging and out for a few weeks.  Seems like the perfect storm for tons of RB action, sort of like Saquon last season.

And that’s what makes this a great game. Everyone can believe whatever they like. 

But for sure. Mixon has as many questions as anyone after The big 4 (assuming an Elliott deal gets done). 

In addition to a depleted passing game, a mediocre QB & potentially a bottom 5 OL, Mixon has had soft tissue injuries & concussions. He’s played just 28 Games in 2 years, and started 20 of them. 

I understsn his upside, but I hate his situation, 3 downs or not. 

I’d rather spend a later on Montgomery than overpay for Mixon.

but again, that’s the beauty of FF...we can all rate players differently.  :shrug:  

Why is the topic moot?  I wasn't asking for advice.  The thought dawned on me and I pulled the trigger.  There will be many others who will decide RB at 1.05 so this topic is still relevant.  You seem grouchy.
It’s just weird to start a topic as a question when OP doesn’t care about the answer.  Never seen that before. 

Not particularly grouchy, or at least no more so than usual....just not really seeing the point of this exercise. 

Best or luck to your team.

out of curiosity, what exactly defines “high stakes” here? 

Let me chime in here.......... I actually see both sides.

But no way in damn Hell am I burning a top 5 pick on Mixon.

(Just FTR - I was extremely high on Mixon and CMC  BOTH last year)  I think they are too expensive this year. Mixon is obviously the cheaper of the two, but his OLine is a shambles.... he has similar offensive questions as he did last year.

The question is do you really think he will repeat as the AFC rushing leader, as he did last year?  If you do, then I can ALMOST understand the top 5-ish pick. I just don't see it happening.

I spend my time thinking about who are the next "BIG RBs" you can get cheaper/later rounds.

TZM

It’s just weird to start a topic as a question when OP doesn’t care about the answer.  Never seen that before. 

Not particularly grouchy, or at least no more so than usual....just not really seeing the point of this exercise. 

Best or luck to your team.

out of curiosity, what exactly defines “high stakes” here? 
Imagine a world where we are engaged in a real conversation at a bar and I say: What about Mixon at 1.05?  Would that not start a discussion?  Are we not on a discussion message board?  I think you're the one who is being 'weird'.  Even weirder is that you have the most posts in here besides me 😂

I honestly think your resulting draft was meh.  In general, I'd rather brag about how late I got someone that everyone likes than brag about how early I reached for someone I particularly like.  

The whole draft feels forced--outside of Evans in the 2nd and Fournette in the 3rd.  

You take Mixon a round ahead of ADP.  

Engram routinely goes in the 5th--and the late 5th a lot of times.  But since you believe he's a top 5 tight end, you reach and take him a round early.  The problem is--wait for it--everyone thinks he's a top 5 tight end.  And the rest of the world is paying that 5th round price for him.  But this is where you force it.  And this is where it really turns south for me.  

5th round Ingram is a fine pick--but you've got 1 WR and are probably better served getting #2 at this point.  

You take Will Fuller in the 6th round when his ADP is in the 7th/8th.  You use your little motto of draft explosive players and he's a beast when healthy--but he's never healthy.  Even if you completely believe him staying healthy this season--you could have gotten him 2 rounds later.  This is a completely forced pick and again devoid of value.  

Robbie Anderson in the 7th was good.

Lesean McCoy in the 8th--I hate it on so many levels.  He's over the hill.  They went out and added Gore, Yeldon, and even Singletary in the draft.  The 8th round still has a lot of upside guys.  The Ferarris and Porches are gone.  There's some Mustangs left, some Camaro's.  You went and grabbed Pappaws 1992 Buick Lesabre and you're telling me it will get you from point A to point B. 

I honestly think your resulting draft was meh.  In general, I'd rather brag about how late I got someone that everyone likes than brag about how early I reached for someone I particularly like.  

The whole draft feels forced--outside of Evans in the 2nd and Fournette in the 3rd.  

You take Mixon a round ahead of ADP.  

Engram routinely goes in the 5th--and the late 5th a lot of times.  But since you believe he's a top 5 tight end, you reach and take him a round early.  The problem is--wait for it--everyone thinks he's a top 5 tight end.  And the rest of the world is paying that 5th round price for him.  But this is where you force it.  And this is where it really turns south for me.  

5th round Ingram is a fine pick--but you've got 1 WR and are probably better served getting #2 at this point.  

You take Will Fuller in the 6th round when his ADP is in the 7th/8th.  You use your little motto of draft explosive players and he's a beast when healthy--but he's never healthy.  Even if you completely believe him staying healthy this season--you could have gotten him 2 rounds later.  This is a completely forced pick and again devoid of value.  

Robbie Anderson in the 7th was good.

Lesean McCoy in the 8th--I hate it on so many levels.  He's over the hill.  They went out and added Gore, Yeldon, and even Singletary in the draft.  The 8th round still has a lot of upside guys.  The Ferarris and Porches are gone.  There's some Mustangs left, some Camaro's.  You went and grabbed Pappaws 1992 Buick Lesabre and you're telling me it will get you from point A to point B. 
If your arrogance had substance, it wouldn't bother me as much.  I'm not sure where I came off as bragging but I'm definitely not bragging about anything.  

Most of your points are not accurate based on 3 high stakes drafts I used as my reference for ADP.  And speaking of ADP, lf I were looking at generic ADP lists from MFL or something, I'd much rather look at the range of draft position than the average itself.  Will Fuller may have an AVERAGE draft position of 7th/8th (per you, it's actually 6th) but he's gone as high as 5.04 (MFL) which is important to know, especially if he's a target.  The goal is to draft the players you are targeting, not go by ADP and hope for the best.  

For the record, Will Fuller's ADP per MFL with appropriate filters is 6th round.  

In 3 high stakes drafts:

Mixon went 1st round in all 3 (mostly late 1st except for my pick).

Engram went 5th in all 3 (top 3 TEs all went in round 3)

Fuller went 5th round once and twice in the 6th including my pick. This pick was not forced, he was a target of mine.

LeSean McCoy - I'm not thrilled with him but he's a starting RB as my 4th option. I can always drop him for a ww pickup if he's terrible.

I have no problem with drafting the way you did. Mixon would not have been there round 2 and you got Evans. Engram was appropriate. I like targeting Fuller.

If you draft by ADP then just set yourself to auto draft. what's the point in looking at a list and taking guys you're supposed to take because that's where everyone else has them? I use ADP to give me an idea of about where guys I like go. then I go get them, and maybe it's a half a round early but who cares? I'd rather draft a guy I really want a half a round early than miss out completely 

I have no problem with drafting the way you did. Mixon would not have been there round 2 and you got Evans. Engram was appropriate. I like targeting Fuller.

If you draft by ADP then just set yourself to auto draft. what's the point in looking at a list and taking guys you're supposed to take because that's where everyone else has them? I use ADP to give me an idea of about where guys I like go. then I go get them, and maybe it's a half a round early but who cares? 
agree 

1.05 - Mixon

12.08 - D. Metcalf 

13.05 - Ronald Jones II

14.08 - N'Keal Harry

17.05 - Arcega-White

18.08 - D. Carr

19.05 - Elliott (PK)

20.08 - AJ Brown
I would have guessed you motto is draft players from teams with really bad offenses.

He reminds me of Stewart.

Imagine a world where we are engaged in a real conversation at a bar and I say: What about Mixon at 1.05?  Would that not start a discussion?  Are we not on a discussion message board?  I think you're the one who is being 'weird'.  Even weirder is that you have the most posts in here besides me 😂
Imagine a world where someone at a bar starts talking to me about their magical football team & asks a question they have no interest in hearing the answer to.

Then moments later that same person stands up on the bar & announces to everyone the team they just drafted, after literally no one asked for that. 

i believe they’d politely ask that person to leave the bar, so the rest of us could enjoy our discussions. 

Analogies are fun! 

Shark pool seems exceptionally snarky lately. Damn
Lately?

Shark pool has been snarky since long before I joined this forum. :lol:  

I guess we could all hold hands & sing kumbaya with everyone agreeing about everything.  I mean, to a point. As a giants fan I probably won’t say “go dodgers” though. I think that’s fair. 

:shrug:

Agree. Personally this whole “reach” thing is starting to get annoying. It’s such an artificial concept.
Well, there is a reach, then there is a reach.  I recently did a high stakes draft from the 1 spot, and here is what I ended up with:

1.1 - Juju Smith-Schuster (I think he is gonna have a monster season, start 2RB/3WR PPR league, so I went with my top WR)

2.12 - Julian Edelman (another target hog like Juju, may have pulled the trigger a bit early, but he is my guy)

3.1 - Derrick Henry (liked how he ended 2018, expect him to pick up where he left off)

4.12 - Mike Williams (oh, the potential - it's oozing)

5.1 - Lamar Miller (made sure to grab my second RB before a drop off)

6.12 - Russell Wilson (not alot of passes, but very efficient, and a great runner too)

7.1 - David Njoku (CLE is gonna be an offensive juggernaut, and I want a piece)

8.12 - Royce Freeman (was surprised to see him still there - big things in store for 2019)

9.1 - CHI D (it worked well for me last year, so I went back to the well being the first to take a D)

10.12 - Greg Zuerlein (a great kicker on a great offense, in great weather)

11.1 - Kyle Rudolph (wasn't gonna wait and get a lesser TE2)

12.12 - Jamison Crowder (taking 3 great WR's allowed my to wait on a 4th)

13.1 - Josh Allen (was time to back up my stud QB)

14.12 - Kenny Stills (he's got mad skills)

15.1 - CJ Anderson (just rounding out my team)

Well, there is a reach, then there is a reach.  I recently did a high stakes draft from the 1 spot, and here is what I ended up with:

1.1 - Juju Smith-Schuster (I think he is gonna have a monster season, start 2RB/3WR PPR league, so I went with my top WR)

2.12 - Julian Edelman (another target hog like Juju, may have pulled the trigger a bit early, but he is my guy)

3.1 - Derrick Henry (liked how he ended 2018, expect him to pick up where he left off)

4.12 - Mike Williams (oh, the potential - it's oozing)

5.1 - Lamar Miller (made sure to grab my second RB before a drop off)

6.12 - Russell Wilson (not alot of passes, but very efficient, and a great runner too)

7.1 - David Njoku (CLE is gonna be an offensive juggernaut, and I want a piece)

8.12 - Royce Freeman (was surprised to see him still there - big things in store for 2019)

9.1 - CHI D (it worked well for me last year, so I went back to the well being the first to take a D)

10.12 - Greg Zuerlein (a great kicker on a great offense, in great weather)

11.1 - Kyle Rudolph (wasn't gonna wait and get a lesser TE2)

12.12 - Jamison Crowder (taking 3 great WR's allowed my to wait on a 4th)

13.1 - Josh Allen (was time to back up my stud QB)

14.12 - Kenny Stills (he's got mad skills)

15.1 - CJ Anderson (just rounding out my team)
Did....did you forget to finish your post? 

Love Mike Williams this year. Huge upside, great price in the 4-5 rounds. 

Overall I don’t love your team, but it’s your team, so like the OP’s team-brag topic, it doesn’t really matter if I love it or not.  

But like DrOck said - there’s really no such thing as a reach. I agree with that to a point. There are players you like & there are draft styles. We all like different players we all have different drafting styles. 

If you want to take Juju 1.01, I’m not gonna stop you. If you wanna spend a 2nd on Edelman, I may hate the pick, but it ain’t my team. Go for it. 

Maybe it'll work & you’ll hoist a trophy. Or maybe after the season you’ll think back to this moment and realize how terribly wrong it all went. Maybe it’ll be somewhere in between. But if you love your team, that’s all that matters right now. 

Maybe had you taken CMC or Barkley instead you coulda traded for Juju & another piece since the tools we have available indicate that you’re an outlier in valuing that player that highly, and others might see a top 3 RB as a piece to target.

So there kind of also is such a thing as a reach in that context. I guess it’s about big picture vs small. 

I love Juju this year too. If I’m at 11-12 he’s my target for sure. I’d happily pair him with a Chubb or Beckham or Evans or (through gritted teeth) TyHill. 

It’s ballsy taking him at 1.01,  but that’s not a terrible reach. It’s just not what I would do. 

Question: could you have traded 1st round draft position? Because that would seem to be the best way to maximize on your draft capital. Move down, get the player you want + a better 2nd or 4th? 

Overall I don’t love your team, but it’s your team, so like the OP’s team-brag topic, it doesn’t really matter if I love it or not.  

But like DrOck said - there’s really no such thing as a reach. I agree with that to a point. There are players you like & there are draft styles. We all like different players we all have different drafting styles. 

If you want to take Juju 1.01, I’m not gonna stop you. If you wanna spend a 2nd on Edelman, I may hate the pick, but it ain’t my team. Go for it. 

Maybe it'll work & you’ll hoist a trophy. Or maybe after the season you’ll think back to this moment and realize how terribly wrong it all went. Maybe it’ll be somewhere in between. But if you love your team, that’s all that matters right now. 

Maybe had you taken CMC or Barkley instead you coulda traded for Juju & another piece since the tools we have available indicate that you’re an outlier in valuing that player that highly, and others might see a top 3 RB as a piece to target.

So there kind of also is such a thing as a reach in that context. I guess it’s about big picture vs small. 

I love Juju this year too. If I’m at 11-12 he’s my target for sure. I’d happily pair him with a Chubb or Beckham or Evans or (through gritted teeth) TyHill. 

It’s ballsy taking him at 1.01,  but that’s not a terrible reach. It’s just not what I would do. 

Question: could you have traded 1st round draft position? Because that would seem to be the best way to maximize on your draft capital. Move down, get the player you want + a better 2nd or 4th? 
He’s being sarcastic.

I made that fictional team up - was just trying to show how crappy a team could be by reaching.  It's OK to go with your gut at times, but to ignore ADP is silly.  Almost every player I chose would not have been available at the comeback, but I surely did not get value.  At some point, we need to figure out how far to "reach" before it becomes ludicrous.

I made that fictional team up - was just trying to show how crappy a team could be by reaching.  It's OK to go with your gut at times, but to ignore ADP is silly.  Almost every player I chose would not have been available at the comeback, but I surely did not get value.  At some point, we need to figure out how far to "reach" before it becomes ludicrous.
Wow you got me. 

See how polite I was being though? 

I really wanted to rip that team to shreds but I was trying to be sensitive to your fee fees. 

So by “high stakes” we’re talking what, like $11.58? 

See how polite I was being though? 

I really wanted to rip that team to shreds but I was trying to be sensitive to your fee fees. 

So by “high stakes” we’re talking what, like $11.58? 
I was hoping for snarky, and got the kumbaya treatment

Honestly, I'm down to only one $50 redraft league with coworkers every year now.  It's a boring league, because no one gloats, and trades are near non-existent.  I now have the most fun with the FBG subscriber contest - got booted in week 11 last year when the KC/LAR game went haywire and I had no players.  I chose Rivers and his week 8 bye over Mahomes and his week 12 bye.   :bag:

If your arrogance had substance, it wouldn't bother me as much.  I'm not sure where I came off as bragging but I'm definitely not bragging about anything.  

Most of your points are not accurate based on 3 high stakes drafts I used as my reference for ADP.  And speaking of ADP, lf I were looking at generic ADP lists from MFL or something, I'd much rather look at the range of draft position than the average itself.  Will Fuller may have an AVERAGE draft position of 7th/8th (per you, it's actually 6th) but he's gone as high as 5.04 (MFL) which is important to know, especially if he's a target.  The goal is to draft the players you are targeting, not go by ADP and hope for the best.  

For the record, Will Fuller's ADP per MFL with appropriate filters is 6th round.  

In 3 high stakes drafts:

Mixon went 1st round in all 3 (mostly late 1st except for my pick).

Engram went 5th in all 3 (top 3 TEs all went in round 3)

Fuller went 5th round once and twice in the 6th including my pick. This pick was not forced, he was a target of mine.

LeSean McCoy - I'm not thrilled with him but he's a starting RB as my 4th option. I can always drop him for a ww pickup if he's terrible.
I guess when I draft--I'm looking for value rather than fixating on one guy.  I've got several guys that I want in each round.  

I want Kerryon Johnson.  There was a time I was getting him in the 3rd in mocks.  And even then, if Keenan Allen rolled back to me, I might just take him.  Now Kerryon seems to routinely go in the 2nd.  There are a lot of 2nd rounders I like over Kerryon--including Evans who seems to always go near the end of the round.  But at no point am I going to say that it HAS to be Kerryon in the 2nd because I'm targeting him.  

Users who are viewing this thread