What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking - Andrew Luck to retire (1 Viewer)

As I said the bylaws don't cover it. They allow for any player listed as IR or Out, to be placed on our IR. But this is a spirit of the law vs the letter of the law situation as I see it. Last year Bell was listed as OUT and we had to have a vote to disallow it. IR should definitely not be used for holding retired players. 

Granted, I can add some language in the bylaws that will cover this, but if the Colts just cut him it will make my life easier.
I think the grey area in your rules makes this a pretty difficult situation (thank you Captain Obvious) and while it surely stinks a little I think the letter of the law has to rule out. I think you have to suck it up until MFL changes their designation. Perhaps contact them and see if you could help motivate them to do the right thing.

As I said the bylaws don't cover it. They allow for any player listed as IR or Out, to be placed on our IR. But this is a spirit of the law vs the letter of the law situation as I see it. Last year Bell was listed as OUT and we had to have a vote to disallow it. IR should definitely not be used for holding retired players. 

Granted, I can add some language in the bylaws that will cover this, but if the Colts just cut him it will make my life easier.
Our league is in a similar situation, but concerning Telvin Smith (LB for Jax).  MFL lists him as "out" (same as Luck), so the owner put him on his IR spot.  Rules state that only players on the NFL IR, or "out due to injury" are allowed in the spot - but MFL just lists the player as either out/O or injured/I, and the system will allow the move.  Last year an owner put Everson Griffen on his IR spot, even though the team didn't put him on any injured list at all.  I view it as more of a system issue.  It will list a player as suspended/S, and not allow that player on the IR spot - but anyone with an O or and I is eligible, and people take advantage of it.  Heck, I put Josh Gordon on my IR spot the day after hoodie put him on the NFI list (non-football injury) a week ago.  I have to remove him from the list on the 15th day (assuming he's healthy, which he is).  But the owner with Telvin Smith can theoretically keep him there all year if he's still designated as "out".

I can't see them tying up a 53-man roster spot at this point.  But IDK if they might I-R him before then. As of now, he's not listed on their roster page at all.

Found a Rotowire report that "The Colts placed Luck (calf/ankle) on the reserve/retired list Sunday"

Seems like this is a case of the league site (MFL) being behind reality, still listing him on IND with a status of "Out". IDK at what point MFL changes his status, but after the 53-man roster deadline Saturday seems like a good guess.

I don't think they have to if he retires. He goes to the reserve/retired list so they can maintain his rights if he returns.
Ok, thanks. So he would then still be listed as a Colt in the MFL database presumably. And probably listed as OUT. We voted last year to disallow Bell on IR even though he was listed as OUT. It would be awfully strange if Zeke and/or Gordon held out, and we applied the precedent from last year to disallow them on IR, but then to allow Luck? Makes no sense and I believe a commissioner can stand behind a fair interpretation of the spirit of the law (which would be that retirees don't count). 

Gronk retired last year and is listed in MFL as a FA, but I'm not clear on whether his contract/rights situation is different than that of Luck. Seems the Patriots would want to retain Gronk's rights as well.

Ok, thanks. So he would then still be listed as a Colt in the MFL database presumably. And probably listed as OUT. We voted last year to disallow Bell on IR even though he was listed as OUT. It would be awfully strange if Zeke and/or Gordon held out, and we applied the precedent from last year to disallow them on IR, but then to allow Luck? Makes no sense and I believe a commissioner can stand behind a fair interpretation of the spirit of the law (which would be that retirees don't count). 

Gronk retired last year and is listed in MFL as a FA, but I'm not clear on whether his contract/rights situation is different than that of Luck. Seems the Patriots would want to retain Gronk's rights as well.
I can't remember if Gronk was under contract or not (I assume he was but not sure). MFL designations aren't exactly official though.

The Colts placed Luck (calf/ankle) on the reserve/retired list Sunday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Analysis: This backs up Luck's comments on the record from Saturday evening, namely that he's "going to retire." While this hypothetical is unlikely for a variety of reasons, he would have to pass through waivers unclaimed to return to the Colts if he wanted to play at some point this season. With the transaction official, the Colts will move on with Jacoby Brissett as their starting quarterback.

I can't remember if Gronk was under contract or not (I assume he was but not sure). MFL designations aren't exactly official though.
He had a year left.

If Gronk decides to unretire during the regular season his cap number would be $9 million (his base salary) divided by 17 (the number of weeks in the regular season) times the number of weeks remaining in the season plus $46,875 times the remaining number of games. So let’s say Gronk unretires with nine weeks and nine games remaining in the season. His salary would then be $4,764,706 and his cap number would be $5,186,581.

He's on the reserve/retired list as well.  If he wants back in the league, he'll be owned by the Pats.
I'd guess Luck will change to show "FA" at some point soon like Gronk does.  As noted above MFL isn't "official" and may have their own timetable for when to update that status.

I'd guess Luck will change to show "FA" at some point soon like Gronk does.  As noted above MFL isn't "official" and may have their own timetable for when to update that status.
It might be like position designation changes (big in IDP leagues).  There should be one more before the start of the season, at which point those are locked in.

He's on the reserve/retired list as well.  If he wants back in the league, he'll be owned by the Pats.
Yeah that's what I thought. But Gronk is a FA in the MFL database and therefore ineligible for IR. Luck is still in the db as a Colt, and by chance he is actually injured so he has a sort of remnant IR status. I'm just going to disallow him there and move on. I appreciate the input though. 

Yeah that's what I'm hoping because our cuts are deep and come Sunday night. 

Our league is in a similar situation, but concerning Telvin Smith (LB for Jax).  MFL lists him as "out" (same as Luck), so the owner put him on his IR spot.  Rules state that only players on the NFL IR, or "out due to injury" are allowed in the spot - but MFL just lists the player as either out/O or injured/I, and the system will allow the move.  Last year an owner put Everson Griffen on his IR spot, even though the team didn't put him on any injured list at all.  I view it as more of a system issue.  It will list a player as suspended/S, and not allow that player on the IR spot - but anyone with an O or and I is eligible, and people take advantage of it.  Heck, I put Josh Gordon on my IR spot the day after hoodie put him on the NFI list (non-football injury) a week ago.  I have to remove him from the list on the 15th day (assuming he's healthy, which he is).  But the owner with Telvin Smith can theoretically keep him there all year if he's still designated as "out".
I think MFL has a setting for this. 

Player Must Be Classified As Before Being Deactivated:Ir

Can a player be deactivated when he is listed as "Suspended"?No

In case of an IR violation, prevent owner from submitting lineup?No

Yes, and ours is set to allow players whose status is either IR or OUT. In Luck's case, and in Bell's last year, they are designated as OUT. But this is a setting, not a rule. Bylaws, in our league, often supersede the capabilities of the MFL settings. We have many facets of our league that are so customized that it requires manual intervention on my part as commissioner. The settings will not allow for our playoff format for example. So I manually compile and post the results. People still set their lineups and manage their rosters on the site, but I post the results. Anyway. In our case with Luck, the bylaws are not quite sufficient, and there is no setting in MFL that can fix this for us, unless we completely overturn the bylaw rule that *injured* players labeled as OUT can go to IR. And that would be a worse precedent to undo since that has been the rule for 5 years now. 

But we want any injured player to be eligible, not just those on Ir.  Take AJ Green right now for instance, he’s out.  We’d like him to be able to be on IR so long as he’s missing games

Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted a warning to "any NFL team" contacting retired QB Andrew Luck.​

Irsay's tweet came just minutes after an ESPN article published by Commanders beat writer John Keim suggested the team "even phoned about retired Andrew Luck, just in case" as they began their quarterback search last offseason. This could prove problematic for the Commanders, as the Colts still hold the contractual rights to Luck, despite the former No. 1 overall pick being retired for the last six seasons. Since Keim's article was posted, ESPN has reported the Colts are "seeking to learn more about what exactly transpired and whether any tampering occurred." Irsay has been more than public about his disdain for the Commanders, and more particularly, owner Daniel Snyder. Any proven case of tampering could result in the loss of future draft picks, as we saw with the Dolphins and their 2023 first-round pick.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
May 8, 2023, 11:49 AM ET

Best part of this is the return of Capt. Andrew Luck on Twitter

https://twitter.com/CaptAndrewLuck
@CaptAndrewLuck
May 8

Dearest mother — It warms my beard to write you. A dispatch arrived at my home far within the Appalachians stating I'm once again the topic of conversation inside the periodicals. Fascinating. I hope you received the basket of salted raccoon toes and lemon mouse cakes. — Andrew

Best part of this is the return of Capt. Andrew Luck on Twitter

https://twitter.com/CaptAndrewLuck
@CaptAndrewLuck
May 8

Dearest mother — It warms my beard to write you. A dispatch arrived at my home far within the Appalachians stating I'm once again the topic of conversation inside the periodicals. Fascinating. I hope you received the basket of salted raccoon toes and lemon mouse cakes. — Andrew

These are so awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread