What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VMAs 2019...anyone? (1 Viewer)

ARTIST OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
Cardi B 
Billie Eilish 
Ariana Grande 
Halsey
Jonas Brothers
Shawn Mendes

ARTIST OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
Cardi B  - who?
Billie Eilish - who?
Ariana Grande - the donut licker is still relevant? I couldn't name a single song of hers.
Halsey - Saw an Imagine Dragons concert a few years ago where Halsey was the opener.  I didn't think it was too bad, but did not inspire me enough to stay tuned in.
Jonas Brothers - I know the name, but couldn't name a single song
Shawn Mendes - again, I have heard the name, but I got nothing
All things considered I vote for myself.

Please use spoiler tags.  It's tape delayed on the West Coast.

:bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardi B was a hard pass for my crew at Bonnaroo this year.  I heard a minute of her set walking to a different show and that was enough for me.

Pretty sure that Eilish will be a headliner next year.  Not sure what to think about that.

I'm getting old.

Cardi B was a hard pass for my crew at Bonnaroo this year.  I heard a minute of her set walking to a different show and that was enough for me.

Pretty sure that Eilish will be a headliner next year.  Not sure what to think about that.

I'm getting old.
Ship already sailed...Her headlining tour was sold out almost instantly this year, with resale tickets at insane markups. I like her, but the wife and son really wanted to go. I wasn't paying a grand for two tickets in the back.

I have a very hard time believing someone who admitted to going to an Imagine Dragons concert doesn’t know who those other performers are. You’re swimming in the same pool. 
My pool has lane lines, bud. 

Actually, I didn't have much Imagine Dragons experience back then either.  Took my then 11 year old as a birthday gift.

I watched it for the 1st time in a long time being i grew up a few blocks away.

Wasn't bad.

I know the cool thing to say is you don't  recognize any of this new crap...

Yea you had your typical younger performers/presenters who look out of place but i actually was surprised by the lizzo chick. She seems very talented. 

The host was meh but par for the course.

I checked out after the girl who's performance ended with her in basketball shorts?

I know it's corny pop music but last night was some good performances.

Jonas brothers,  lizzo, taylor, shawn mendes and the chick. The other chick from Barcelona. Missy Elliott was good.

:shrug:

what can i say...I like to have lawn parties?

I watched it for the 1st time in a long time being i grew up a few blocks away.

Wasn't bad.

I know the cool thing to say is you don't  recognize any of this new crap...

Yea you had your typical younger performers/presenters who look out of place but i actually was surprised by the lizzo chick. She seems very talented. 

The host was meh but par for the course.

I checked out after the girl who's performance ended with her in basketball shorts?

I know it's corny pop music but last night was some good performances.

Jonas brothers,  lizzo, taylor, shawn mendes and the chick. The other chick from Barcelona. Missy Elliott was good.

:shrug:

what can i say...I like to have lawn parties?
lizzo's awesome. as is billie eilish (she might be "the chick"). 

I didn't watch any of it, just know those two. the rest are interchangable to me. 

:thumbup: she's great.  And your instincts were right about the talent.  Although these days who isn't a singer/rapper/classically trained flautist.
Yea, i heard that song and that she was a large woman.

So I stereotyped her ad a fat black angry lady rapping. 

Thn I saw the opening of her performance and what looked like sir mix a lot but props and was like yep...nailed it.

However her performance was creative, she had a lot of range and delivered her message very well.

I hope she has a lot of success

what an awful show.  lil nas x is a thing?  i mean, he didn’t even try to speak or sing,  that jonas brothers thing went on for like an hour, for the jonas brothers?  my tv got hepatitis c when whore d b “spoke”.  i also needed more screen shots of queen latifah and the babib sisters or whatever they are.  ugh

what an awful show.  lil nas x is a thing?  i mean, he didn’t even try to speak or sing,  that jonas brothers thing went on for like an hour, for the jonas brothers?  my tv got hepatitis c when whore d b “spoke”.  i also needed more screen shots of queen latifah and the babib sisters or whatever they are.  ugh
Lil Nas X has the record for song at #1 for the most days in a row for Old Town Road. I don't know if he's any good, but he's definitely is "a thing".

I don't know how Cardi B is still relevant after straight up admitting that she has drugged and sexually assaulted guys. 

Does VMA still stand for "Video Music Awards"?  Do they even make or show videos anymore to award them for?

I have a 10year old daughter so I have heard of most of the acts., but still didn't watch.

The movie awards used to be the better award show.  

Does VMA still stand for "Video Music Awards"?  Do they even make or show videos anymore to award them for?

I have a 10year old daughter so I have heard of most of the acts., but still didn't watch.

The movie awards used to be the better award show.  
It looks like they do...the bigger question is done MTV air them or are they on other sites?

This and the Grammys not too long ago cemented to me that I’ve gotten old (44).  I literally didn’t know 1 single “artist” on the commercials that were running for them.  Not one. 
Yep. I know someone up thread mentioned it being "cool" to not know or watch or some such. But the fact is, I simply know none of these artists. If they had some rock acts, then maybe. But I am absolutely clueless about the pop scene and I am ok with that. So I really don't get the whole "you are trying to be cool" thing.

I wonder what music will actually hold up from all of this, though. My bet is not too much. I don't think it's my age informing that, I think there are many things, such as a fracturing of pop culture, the waning interest in an entertainment medium like music (yes, music writ large), and a general corporate attention to algorithms and internet web hits, trying to disguise corporatism under different banners.

It's all really upside-down, this pop culture stuff. I'm stunned MTV even has the VMAs. They're certainly the cutting edge of nothing these days...

All I know is my daughter is not quite into boys yet but if Shawn Mendes asked her to marry him, she would leave this family and go

All I know is my daughter is not quite into boys yet but if Shawn Mendes asked her to marry him, she would leave this family and go
That's on the precipice, anyway. Good luck the next few years. 

BTW, who is Shawn Mendes? 

/lol

I wonder what music will actually hold up from all of this, though. My bet is not too much. I don't think it's my age informing that, I think there are many things, such as a fracturing of pop culture, the waning interest in an entertainment medium like music (yes, music writ large), and a general corporate attention to algorithms and internet web hits, trying to disguise corporatism under different banners.

It's all really upside-down, this pop culture stuff. I'm stunned MTV even has the VMAs. They're certainly the cutting edge of nothing these days...
IMO Taylor will hold up very well. Jonas brothers i think will. Billie Elish is a sleeper. She has a distinctive sound that is pretty unique. 

Cardi B will hold up....a liquor store in 4 years

I don't know how Cardi B is still relevant after straight up admitting that she has drugged and sexually assaulted guys. 
I do. The #metoo/sexual assault awareness movement over the past two years has not elevated men victimized by this stuff to come forth and speak freely. Part of that is the remnants of masculine cultural standards, part is that nobody takes it seriously. Whatever the case, it was always pretty clear that there was, if not a double standard, then at least muted aspersions cast towards the female aggressor when it came to male victims.

Users who are viewing this thread