What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Phrases and Cliches You're Over (1 Viewer)

What are some "fantasy phrases" you're tired of hearing? Whether they fit into the topic being discussed or not, I'm sick of hearing "too many mouths to feed" and "quietly" (as in quietly having a good season or quietly putting up good numbers).

What are some fantasy phrases you could do without?

This guy is a Sleeper (when they are expected to be a Top 10 QB/RB/WR/TE). Sleepers should be that #2/#3 spot with potential to be a Top 10-12-14 finisher in your league. DEEP Sleepers are guys who are in that #4-#6 range who could end up being a #2 or #3 finisher with the right circumstances all falling into place e.g. Phillip Lindsay coming out of nowhere to outperform higher drafted teammate and lock the starting job down.

I've also always loathed the phrase Reach. ADP isn't a be-all end-all and if the guy you believe in finishes where you expect him to, why outsmart yourself to get value and miss out on taking them? Sometimes it's worth reaching for a guy you think provides value at that spot even if the ADP doesn't agree with you. Example: I take RB David Johnson at 1.06 thinking he'll finish at RB1 after 4 RBs have been taken while his ADP says he should be taken later. There's value still there if you think you've taken the #1 RB as the 5th RB overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.1 is an elite rb prospect with ideal size/speed and has good pedigree but also a lot of tread on his tires after a brief but extremely productive college career. He doesn't take a lot ot hits and knows how to get skinny between the tackles but he's even better in space. He has a three down skillset could contribute right away if he learns to pass protect.

He reminds me of another uber stud, a grizzled vet who still has something left in the tank but is getting close to the wrong side of 30.  He's in the best shape of his career and says this is the healthiest he's felt since joining the league. He doesn't have elite speed but he might be the best route runner in the NFL and he's been the quarterback's security blanket.

My favorite sleeper in a weak draft class is a raw prospect with a good catch radius who is a SPARQ score freak but he's got an opportunity to start from day one and could surprise. 

My favorite player is holding out, and i think the team should pay him.  But I'm getting frustrated and think the players should honor their contracts because they get paid millions to play a game and they have no leverage.  Another player from a team i don't like is holding out and i hope he doesn't cave because he has a chance to reset the market at a position the NFL doesn't value enough. 

I don't really like owning this last guy after the domestic child abuse rape he did while driving drunk and taking PEDa but he's appealing the suspension and he might not have done the thing i saw on tmz. Besides this is fantasy football and i get points for production not being a boy scout.  

That said this guy has been sliding down draft boards and every player has value at a certain point in the draft.  I usually go stud rb but if I can't get one of the big three I'll go zero rb this year after taking a rb in the first because you have to zig when they zag and get foundation players in the top tier then fill in the roster with high upside dart throws instead of chasing last year's production.  

Always start your studs!

I understand the concept of not getting too cute but I feel many are confused on what the definition of a stud is.

1.1 is an elite rb prospect with ideal size/speed and has good pedigree but also a lot of tread on his tires after a brief but extremely productive college career. He doesn't take a lot ot hits and knows how to get skinny between the tackles but he's even better in space. He has a three down skillset could contribute right away if he learns to pass protect.

He reminds me of another uber stud, a grizzled vet who still has something left in the tank but is getting close to the wrong side of 30.  He's in the best shape of his career and says this is the healthiest he's felt since joining the league. He doesn't have elite speed but he might be the best route runner in the NFL and he's been the quarterback's security blanket.

My favorite sleeper in a weak draft class is a raw prospect with a good catch radius who is a SPARQ score freak but he's got an opportunity to start from day one and could surprise. 

My favorite player is holding out, and i think the team should pay him.  But I'm getting frustrated and think the players should honor their contracts because they get paid millions to play a game and they have no leverage.  Another player from a team i don't like is holding out and i hope he doesn't cave because he has a chance to reset the market at a position the NFL doesn't value enough. 

I don't really like owning this last guy after the domestic child abuse rape he did while driving drunk and taking PEDa but he's appealing the suspension and he might not have done the thing i saw on tmz. Besides this is fantasy football and i get points for production not being a boy scout.  

That said this guy has been sliding down draft boards and every player has value at a certain point in the draft.  I usually go stud rb but if I can't get one of the big three I'll go zero rb this year after taking a rb in the first because you have to zig when they zag and get foundation players in the top tier then fill in the roster with high upside dart throws instead of chasing last year's production.  
This is a master class in sarcasm & cliche. Bravo, sir. Bravo I say. 🏆

• “he can make all the throws” - I think it’s a good phrase, and can be accurate, but it’s one that’s overused. 

• “he just outran the entire defense!” - c’mon. How much is that 330 lb DT really chasing him? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I've never liked "floor" and "ceiling".  His floor is Brady circa 2008, or K Hunt's performances down the stretch and playoffs last year.  Stuff can come out of nowhere.  His ceiling is Josh Gordon 2013, or Mahomes last year. 

when rotoworld or anyone else refers to a WR or RB as a WR4/5... nobod's starting requirements have 4 or 5 WR's as starters.... so in my eyes those WR's are just bench depth

also tired of particular coaches lying to the media... and the fantasy community continually eating the trash spreading the lies.... looking at you pete carroll.... 

It's been several year's since I played a more standard "start 2 w/ a flex"  It's more like start 2 RB/start 2WR and five flex spots  But I don't believe I much ever cared for anyone saying a guy is worth a "flex"  I mean shouldn't the guy already be flex worthy?  It almost seems like their meant to imply start over what is normally one of your starters or something  

I mean do you guys and especially ratings guru's all agree on what must be reached to be deemed a "flex"   Oh I suspect this man will hit 50 yd.'s so that means he's worth "flex" consideration  While he's probably drafted in such n' such round but failed somewhat miserably the last few weeks  However I expect a bounce-back this week so he's a "worthy flex" and/or worth the risk at "flex"  Yeah you probably started if you owned him last week  But this week he's worth mentioning as a "flex"  Guys listed as such n' such in the pecking order so that means he's at least work a "flex" spot  Joe Blow is on bye this week which means John Smith is worth a "flex"  

For the record, I do seem to get the designation from time to time probably even more so on the board because its usually alongside some form of projection  But man when I see my week's RB2 or even my WR3 listed as a flex?  I'm like in what an 8 man League or what exactly  Don't even get me started on times where the numbers are legit almost week in week out  I don't care to discuss where drafted etc.  But I almost fully expect to read one of Guice, Engram, and/or Lindsay listed as "flex" in the first week of the season  Is that really to say my backup could outperform my TE1?  Who/How is such a thing really relevant 

Not so much phrases for me, but I shake my fist at the following:

- Reliance on Combine 40 times as some sort of gold standard - and worse, ignoring other 40 times, like from a player's pro day.

- Setting arbitrary goals for college players' production who are going to enter the draft, then downgrading the players because they didn't meet the fantasy community's arbitrary standards.

My stud RB or WR whatever. I think my definition of a stud is too much different than others. Generally I see 5 or less true stud RB for example. My view is different than they guy who has the 20th ranked RB that thinks he is a stud. Term is too widely used and not defined.

I'm kinda enjoying all these posts   Look forward to reading more as a matter of fact   But I think it should be pointed out that some schools (maybe All) are known to fudge specifically "40 times"  In other words pro day numbers are kind of dismissed as not accurate and/or very representative    Also worth noting as per tangfoot   Whose to say how much any number really means   Earl Campbell ran something like a 4.71 in the 40   When questioned he replied he runs faster w/ a LB'er chasing him   Dude could fly!  Run thru you or around period

Honestly, I've never liked "floor" and "ceiling".  His floor is Brady circa 2008, or K Hunt's performances down the stretch and playoffs last year.  Stuff can come out of nowhere.  His ceiling is Josh Gordon 2013, or Mahomes last year. 
I've always made a point of avoiding players who have floors higher than ceilings.  They really need to see an architect.

That's actually a trading term adopted by the FF community.
Ok, so?  Are we now going to discuss the origin of every single cliché or catch phrase?  A lot of FF podcasters use it and it quickly becomes annoying hearing it multiple times a day.

Ok, so?  Are we now going to discuss the origin of every single cliché or catch phrase?  A lot of FF podcasters use it and it quickly becomes annoying hearing it multiple times a day.
Why does everything have to be an argument on here?!!  Jeesh!  I was just adding some knowledge to your post.  At no point did I mock your post or say it didn't belong.   :shrug:

Why does everything have to be an argument on here?!!  Jeesh!  I was just adding some knowledge to your post.  At no point did I mock your post or say it didn't belong.   :shrug:
I guess I’m just not understanding why you felt the need to respond and single my contribution out regarding the term’s origin in the first place.  No hard feelings.

I guess I’m just not understanding why you felt the need to respond and single my contribution out regarding the term’s origin in the first place.  No hard feelings.
No worries. I used to be a trader so I felt cool knowing the origin 😎

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
This is a good one.

I remember reading a fantasy article a few years back, I was trying to decide on a player or something. 

At the end of the article it has the little blurb about the author: "Joe Shmoe is one of our sports writers, he's been playing fantasy football for the past 4 years."

4 YEARS???? I'm taking advice from a guy who's been playing for 4 YEARS?? He should be taking MY advice!

He's an arbitrage play.  Usually used to describe a cheaper similar player. 

Another trading term, except doesn't apply at all in fantasy football.  I get annoyed whenever I hear that because whoever thought of it must not know what a real arbitrage is.   Arbitrage is buying in a market where the price is low and then selling in a market where the price is higher. I'm not aware of any leagues that allow you to trade players in a different market (league). 

The closest you can get in my mind is to sell a player in a league where that players value is higher and buy the same player in a different league where those owners value him less... And that is not how the analysts use the term. 

Eta: said sell twice, meant buy at cheaper price.  Fixed

I’m a bit over when people say they’ve been buying or selling a player “in a few places”. I think it’s irritating because it makes it sound like you can just go out and do what you want in all these leagues whereas my experience is that trading is pretty hard in a lot of leagues.

But the big one for me is saying as a throwaway piece of analysis that “I like him in best ball”. It always makes me groan because hardly anyone outside of a few industry people actually plays best ball. So it’s pointless to express that view as analysis. It’s also kind of a lazy way to hedge your bets on a player if you’re not sure (which is a lot of players).

• Smile
Reactions: -X-

Users who are viewing this thread