Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

[2021] Travis Etienne - Clemson RB


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Do we still feel good about him being the #1 dynasty prospect next year (IIRC he was the presumptive #1)?

Pretty sure I can get the #1 overall pick plus another 1st (it'll cost me Chubb but it's a rebuild). Like every team I'm searching for RBs but the bird in the hand with Chubb is a nice start. 

After the debacle that was this year's RB crew, I'm leery of the guys coming out next year. 

I think it's pretty clearly Etienne or Harris at 1.01 right now. It's those 2 RB's in non-QB premium leagues. I'd flip Chubb for that in a heartbeat in a rebuild. Even more so of a smash if it's full PPR. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man...someone gave this kid TERRIBLE advice. Why in the world any running back (let alone a speed running back) would come back for his senior year when he was projected to go in 2nd round....abs

I don't think you're wrong, but I think rookie RB contracts and the reticence by GMs to pay them a big 2nd contract (obviously some exceptions) has as much or more to do with this than natural physica

Here’s my take: I’ve never seen such a complete profile and high profile RB get so much negativity. Even when he answers every question people have. First, it was “but he doesn’t catch passe

2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Do we still feel good about him being the #1 dynasty prospect next year (IIRC he was the presumptive #1)?

Pretty sure I can get the #1 overall pick plus another 1st (it'll cost me Chubb but it's a rebuild). Like every team I'm searching for RBs but the bird in the hand with Chubb is a nice start. 

After the debacle that was this year's RB crew, I'm leery of the guys coming out next year. 

I don't think it's a slam dunk but that wouldn't stop me from making that trade.  We don't know how Chubb's role will play out with as good as Hunt is.

Chase will be in the mix and I think a couple of others will as well - Bateman and Harris in particular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Do we still feel good about him being the #1 dynasty prospect next year (IIRC he was the presumptive #1)?

Pretty sure I can get the #1 overall pick plus another 1st (it'll cost me Chubb but it's a rebuild). Like every team I'm searching for RBs but the bird in the hand with Chubb is a nice start. 

After the debacle that was this year's RB crew, I'm leery of the guys coming out next year. 

I don't think it's a slam dunk but that wouldn't stop me from making that trade.  We don't know how Chubb's role will play out with as good as Hunt is.

Chase will be in the mix and I think a couple of others will as well - Bateman and Harris in particular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I don't think it's a slam dunk but that wouldn't stop me from making that trade.  We don't know how Chubb's role will play out with as good as Hunt is.

Chase will be in the mix and I think a couple of others will as well - Bateman and Harris in particular.

Hunt has kind of flopped. Chubb makes that offense go. But it's a moot point as I tried to do the trade I mentioned and was shot down. So no need to turn this into a Chubb thread, I guess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

How did he actually look last night?

Has he lost some luster this year?

He did not perform as well this year as prior, but he was so far ahead coming into it that his hold on rb1 is still firm. If anything I think this year established his floor. When he's not running well he makes up for it in the pass game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Boston said:

Good player but there are times when I watch him that he disappears...I have Najee solidly over him.

Najee has always ben a good player, but I think it's important to note that he didn't really break out til age 22. I think Etienne has turned heads with his play since his true freshman season and he broke out at age 19. More matters than just that, but it'd take a very compelling argument. The Najee > Etienne movement has recency bias alarm bells going off in my head.

I think Javonte Williams is a more interesting argument than Harris.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Najee has always ben a good player, but I think it's important to note that he didn't really break out til age 22. I think Etienne has turned heads with his play since his true freshman season and he broke out at age 19. More matters than just that, but it'd take a very compelling argument. The Najee > Etienne movement has recency bias alarm bells going off in my head.

I think Javonte Williams is a more interesting argument than Harris.

I always appreciate your knowledge but I will strongly disagree with this...just like Jacobs, Najee had been in a backfield with other high quality backs that limited his production...the two years he did not have backs like Harris and Jacobs he has rushed for a total of 2,611 yards with 37 receptions for 650 yards with 47 total TDs...this is 100% not recency bias as the kid was the top RB recruit in the nation, is a physical freak and does not have a hole in his game...oddly enough for all of Clemson's high-end talent Etienne has actually had the benefit of not having a threat to his production because he has not played with another quality, future NFL RB yet he is still putting up somewhat similar stats from his sophomore year.

Edited by Boston
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand Najee shared the ball early in his career and am not holding that against him. I thought he was an ordinary player during his first 3 years. NTTAWWT, that has value in the pros. 

This year I think he looked different. Situation and volume reigns supreme at RB (i.e. Jacobs), but I'm skeptical he's a feature back and rather a 1a. I'm not convinced there's more to him than what we saw this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Najee has always ben a good player, but I think it's important to note that he didn't really break out til age 22. I think Etienne has turned heads with his play since his true freshman season and he broke out at age 19. More matters than just that, but it'd take a very compelling argument. The Najee > Etienne movement has recency bias alarm bells going off in my head.

I think Javonte Williams is a more interesting argument than Harris.

Last year he went for 1,224 yards and 13 touchdowns rushing while catching 27 passes for 304 yards and 7 touchdowns. The year before he was behind Jacobs and Damien Harris. I'd say he broke out last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Last year he went for 1,224 yards and 13 touchdowns rushing while catching 27 passes for 304 yards and 7 touchdowns. The year before he was behind Jacobs and Damien Harris. I'd say he broke out last year.

I think you need to be careful about citing raw production at the big boy schools. He was a part of last year's offense. When Devonta Smith let him he took over games this year. It was a massive difference that is difficult to quantify without actually watching the games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think you need to be careful about citing raw production at the big boy schools. He was a part of last year's offense. When Devonta Smith let him he took over games this year. It was a massive difference that is difficult to quantify without actually watching the games. 

I don't get it. But it's okay - nobody can make you like a guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I don't get it. But it's okay - nobody can make you like a guy.

I dont exist in a world of like and don't like. I live in a world that's muddy and gray. But I do partake in a game that requires me to prioritize players over others. 

Najee is a good player. His vision alone should lead to a productive career. The subject at hand is rb1 though. Before considering situation and expected volume I don't think he is relative to his contemporaries. I still like him though. And it can be both. 

Edited by MAC_32
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAC_32 said:

I dont exist in a world of like and don't like. But I do partake in a game that requires me to prioritize players over others. 

Najee is a good player. His vision alone should lead to a productive career. The subject at hand is rb1 though. Before considering situation and expected volume I don't think he is relative to his contemporaries. I still like him though. And it can be both. 

I guess I should have said that nobody can make you like a guy the most. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I don't get it. But it's okay - nobody can make you like a guy.

Funny you say that because that is something I am working on, not having a negative bias where I don't give someone a fair shake...last year I absolutely hated Herbert and I threw him on the prospect scrap heap and I missed a chance to add a future stud in a Super-flex Dynasty league...gonna really do everything I can to have a more open mind on the prospects I have my doubts about.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I understand Najee shared the ball early in his career and am not holding that against him. I thought he was an ordinary player during his first 3 years. NTTAWWT, that has value in the pros. 

This year I think he looked different. Situation and volume reigns supreme at RB (i.e. Jacobs), but I'm skeptical he's a feature back and rather a 1a. I'm not convinced there's more to him than what we saw this year. 

I agree with you. Harris will be a productive NFL back but I do not see anyone in this class becoming a true RB1. I see him a tick below Jacobs as a pro.

Guys like Etienne, Williams, Hubbard, and Harris will all carve out meaningful roles but I don't see a "special" RB in this class. For example, I like Taylor, CEH, Dobbins, and Swift better than anyone of this class right now. This is no disrespect to this class but last year's cohort was really, really good. Of course, landing spots and surrounding competition play a role in projecting long term viability, but in this moment, without this information, operating only on my (highly speculative and by no means "expert") lens this group does not offer an elite option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

How did he actually look last night?

Has he lost some luster this year?

Etienne is a fine player and will find an important role in an NFL offense, but, from a pure draft position lens, likely lost ground by returning this year. I see him as being a quality, contributing member of some type of committee (Miami/Atlanta), but not a true 3 down RB. That is not a knock, as the subset of true, three down, 75% + touch share RB is very small. 

I think he'd be an excellent backfield partner with his fellow Clemson alum Deshaun Watson. That to me would be the best landing spot. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Quote

Robb Proffitt @BreakinDownFilm

Some of Travis Etienne stats vs non-ACC schools (namely, good teams):

Ohio St 2020 - 10 for 32
Ohio St 2019 - 10 for 36
LSU 2019 - 15 for 78 
Texas A&M 2019 - 16 for 53 
Alabama 2018 - 14 for 86 

Vs ACC schools:
203, 153, 156, 167, 205, 192, etc etc etc

https://twitter.com/breakindownfilm/status/1345353316482609153?s=21

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man...someone gave this kid TERRIBLE advice.

Why in the world any running back (let alone a speed running back) would come back for his senior year when he was projected to go in 2nd round....absolutely mind boggling.  I mean...he got the ACC rushing record, so good for him. But other than that? Yikes.  No national title....cut a year off what will already be a short career, hurt his chances of a bigger 2nd deal...likely wont be drafted any higher than last year.

Just an inexplicable decision.  Great for him if he's gonna get his degree this year (although he could have gone back and done his last year when he's 30 and likely out of the NFL) but man this was so stupid.

Hope some Clemson booster cut him a big fat check for his trouble

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Said it last year and say it now - absolutely insane he came back. These coaches who don’t push their studs out the door when they are going to get highly drafted are horrible. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

Man...someone gave this kid TERRIBLE advice.

Why in the world any running back (let alone a speed running back) would come back for his senior year when he was projected to go in 2nd round....absolutely mind boggling.  I mean...he got the ACC rushing record, so good for him. But other than that? Yikes.  No national title....cut a year off what will already be a short career, hurt his chances of a bigger 2nd deal...likely wont be drafted any higher than last year.

Just an inexplicable decision.  Great for him if he's gonna get his degree this year (although he could have gone back and done his last year when he's 30 and likely out of the NFL) but man this was so stupid.

Hope some Clemson booster cut him a big fat check for his trouble

This post is so much better when read with Kramer's voice.

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Capella said:

Said it last year and say it now - absolutely insane he came back. These coaches who don’t push their studs out the door when they are going to get highly drafted are horrible. 

Dabo seems pretty self-serving in general.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zed2283 said:

Dabo seems pretty self-serving in general.

Saban too. Seems like these guys always get a star player or two to come back each year. Don't forget Harris and Smith let season, and Damien Harris before that. 

Honestly the worst thing for Etienne (or Harris) would be sneaking into the 1st. His decision to return would end up costing him 2 years before free agency, which is a massive loss in career earnings for a RB. It's the Melvin Gordon path. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 12:30 PM, Ack88 said:

Etienne is a fine player and will find an important role in an NFL offense, but, from a pure draft position lens, likely lost ground by returning this year. I see him as being a quality, contributing member of some type of committee (Miami/Atlanta), but not a true 3 down RB. That is not a knock, as the subset of true, three down, 75% + touch share RB is very small. 

I think he'd be an excellent backfield partner with his fellow Clemson alum Deshaun Watson. That to me would be the best landing spot. 

Texans don't currently have a 1st or 2nd round pick so unlikely he ends up there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...


 

Quote

Clemson senior RB Travis Etienne declared for the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Etienne (5'10/205) leaves as one of the greatest running backs in Clemson history, rushing for 4,952 yards and 70 touchdowns while rolling up 1,155 yards receiving. He averaged an absurd 7.2 YPC on the ground and really improved his receiving acumen, going from just 135 receiving yards in his first two seasons to 1,020 yards over his final two years. The senior tailback's best asset at the next level is his acceleration and speed in the open field. He has all the tools to be an impact all-purpose back including excellent vision, instincts and quick feet. The biggest question regarding Etienne surrounds is lack of ideal NFL size, and how it could limit his effectiveness between the tackles and in short yardage situations. The star Clemson tailback is trending as a late first round-to-second round selection.

SOURCE: Travis Etienne on Twitter

Jan 15, 2021, 1:33 PM ET

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if his career turned out similar to another Clemson guy in CJ Spiller. Loads of potential but never really seizing the role of a dominant producer, except for 1 year. Spiller was on the all potential team like another famous sharkpool guy named Christine Michael except Spiller actually panned out. But the hype for him was outrageously loud. 

If there's someone who's in love with Etienne or Harris or even Javonte, I'd flip that pick in a heartbeat for any of the top4 RB's from 2020 (Akers, Dobbins, Taylor, Swift)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings 1.0

Excerpt:

Quote

17) Travis Etienne, RB

School: Clemson | Year: Senior

Etienne is a compact, muscled-up running back with outstanding burst and balance. He's at his best as a one-cut runner, putting his foot in the ground and exploding up the field. He isn't overly elusive in the hole, but he hits it at full speed and absorbs contact while keeping his balance. He has plenty of speed to capture the edge on outside runs. He rarely loses a foot race once he gets into the open field. He is very valuable in the passing game, too. He has a great sense of timing and spacing in the screen game. He also possesses the ability to run away from linebackers on seams and angle routes. He has even flashed the ability to split out wide and run double moves. He improved in pass protection in 2020. Etienne doesn't have elite vision or wiggle, but his speed is real and it's spectacular when given a runway.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 3:11 PM, TLEF316 said:

Man...someone gave this kid TERRIBLE advice.

Why in the world any running back (let alone a speed running back) would come back for his senior year when he was projected to go in 2nd round....absolutely mind boggling.  I mean...he got the ACC rushing record, so good for him. But other than that? Yikes.  No national title....cut a year off what will already be a short career, hurt his chances of a bigger 2nd deal...likely wont be drafted any higher than last year.

Just an inexplicable decision.  Great for him if he's gonna get his degree this year (although he could have gone back and done his last year when he's 30 and likely out of the NFL) but man this was so stupid.

Hope some Clemson booster cut him a big fat check for his trouble

Yes, hope he loved his time there because he made a terrible financial decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Faust said:

I agree with Jeremiah's comments in his writeup but when you really break down what he's saying it's hard for me to justify the ranking he and many others have for Etienne. I don't disagree with the positives. Fast, gets to edge easy, good pass receiver, improved pass blocker.

But when you say a RB is not elusive in the hole while also lacking elite vision and elusiveness I got concerns and I saw similar things. His skill set just screams that's he's more likely be part of RB duo or RBBC and sometimes that's fine but makes him extremely landing spot sensitive, as in he needs to go to a team planning to make him a 70+ catch RB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 9:54 PM, Zyphros said:

I wouldn't be surprised if his career turned out similar to another Clemson guy in CJ Spiller. Loads of potential but never really seizing the role of a dominant producer, except for 1 year. Spiller was on the all potential team like another famous sharkpool guy named Christine Michael except Spiller actually panned out. But the hype for him was outrageously loud. 

If there's someone who's in love with Etienne or Harris or even Javonte, I'd flip that pick in a heartbeat for any of the top4 RB's from 2020 (Akers, Dobbins, Taylor, Swift)

Spiller was more pure speed RB like early Chris Johnson. He had poor vision or spatial awareness and not very good at running inside.

I dont think ETN is as fast as Spiller was and I dont think he has the poor vision that Spiller never seemed to overcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Spiller was more pure speed RB like early Chris Johnson. He had poor vision or spatial awareness and not very good at running inside.

I dont think ETN is as fast as Spiller was and I dont think he has the poor vision that Spiller never seemed to overcome.

I'm kind of luke warm on Etienne. I like him a lot but then I have a few concerns based on his comment on pass catching a few years ago or his overall size. 

The size thing reminds me of McCaffrey concerns before he came into the league, and the pass catching thing he got a lot better at the past 2 years. That's where his stock improved to put another year of great pass catching stats/film IMO, thanks to his decision to return to school this past year. 

I'm looking at Spiller and see untapped potential his entire career, other than basically 2 years. It was all hopeful after that. I worry that's where we're heading with Etienne because of the questions. If he quells those questions, he's a poor mans McCaffrey. But that would require a landing spot that checks down to RB's enough for him to sustain success. 

Not to go too big on a tangent but that's why CEH isn't as successful as a rookie as well. Mahomes just doesn't check down all that often, and CEH doesn't have the size for the workload he needs in that offense to sustain success. Etienne has that ability to still succeed in a bad situation, but he'll be fully unlocked IF he goes to a place that uses him as a guy to get in space more often. 

The trap of landing spot, only is a trap if the player doesn't match what that offense does. CEH wasn't that talented to begin with, AND his situation doesn't utilize him to his potential. Etienne IS that talented, but we'll see where the situation can lead him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 10:36 AM, Zyphros said:

I'm kind of luke warm on Etienne. I like him a lot but then I have a few concerns based on his comment on pass catching a few years ago or his overall size. 

The size thing reminds me of McCaffrey concerns before he came into the league, and the pass catching thing he got a lot better at the past 2 years. That's where his stock improved to put another year of great pass catching stats/film IMO, thanks to his decision to return to school this past year. 

I'm looking at Spiller and see untapped potential his entire career, other than basically 2 years. It was all hopeful after that. I worry that's where we're heading with Etienne because of the questions. If he quells those questions, he's a poor mans McCaffrey. But that would require a landing spot that checks down to RB's enough for him to sustain success. 

Not to go too big on a tangent but that's why CEH isn't as successful as a rookie as well. Mahomes just doesn't check down all that often, and CEH doesn't have the size for the workload he needs in that offense to sustain success. Etienne has that ability to still succeed in a bad situation, but he'll be fully unlocked IF he goes to a place that uses him as a guy to get in space more often. 

The trap of landing spot, only is a trap if the player doesn't match what that offense does. CEH wasn't that talented to begin with, AND his situation doesn't utilize him to his potential. Etienne IS that talented, but we'll see where the situation can lead him. 

Im right these with you as far Spiller. I chased that fantastic season he had for several years after hoping he could get back to that while watching Jackson take most of the workload.

With any player I do like to see them be able to improve in areas as ETN did with his receiving ability. I am no where near to comparing him with McCaffrey but when you mention CEH I think thats maybe closer to the kind of player I think ETN is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, Dr. Octopus said:

Yes, hope he loved his time there because he made a terrible financial decision. 

LOL yep, totally obvious at the time too.  The funniest part is he thought he was be the top RB this year.  Looks like he might be number 3. 

Last year it was rumored the Chiefs were on him.  He could have been the 1.32 instead of Clyde had he declared. 

Chuba Hubbard looks like an even worse version of this. 

 

Edited by kittenmittens
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...


 

Quote

Pro Football Focus ranks Clemson RB Travis Etienne as the top RB prospect for the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Etienne is a popular pick for the top RB spot this year, which makes sense given he had an argument for the top RB spot last year before deciding to return to school. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound back is scary levels of explosive and is a threat to instantly turn any seemingly mundane run into a touchdown. Etienne leads a PFF top-five that also features UNC's Javonte Williams, Alabama's Najee Harris, UNC's Michael Carter, and Memphis' Kenneth Gainwell. If any RB is going to go in the first round this year, it should be Etienne. 

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Feb 9, 2021, 4:11 PM ET

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, Zyphros said:

I think it's pretty clearly Etienne or Harris at 1.01 right now. It's those 2 RB's in non-QB premium leagues. I'd flip Chubb for that in a heartbeat in a rebuild. Even more so of a smash if it's full PPR. 

This is pretty much a cut and past from two different posts i did with paraphrasing the 2nd part.   I would put Javonte Williams over Etienne.  To me Etienne looks like a straight line runner that I have my doubts about his vision and he may never be a bell cow RB for fantasy due to his size.  Since there will be no combine I bet his pro-day at Clemson will be giving a profile of him that is inaccurate.  Williams not only has perfect size, he is a tackle breaking monster and his contact balance is so good.  Plus he has the receiving ability you want to go along with those other traits.  I feel Etienne is more team dependent than Williams.  People will be afraid to take Williams over Etienne because of the fantasy ranking echo chamber, but if you really believe Williams is better you have to listen to your own gut and I feel he is better. 

If I'm a contender and somehow got the 1.01, I'm taking Harris.  If I'm a rebuilding team and need lots of pieces, I'm taking either Chase or Williams.  Harris will be 27 years old by the time he finishes his rookie contract and if you know you won't compete for a few years, you must take the younger player at 1.01 IMO or trade it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

This is pretty much a cut and past from two different posts i did with paraphrasing the 2nd part.

What are you talking about? This comes across that you're taking a shot at me when you've said nothing of the sort in this thread. Maybe it's somewhere else but I don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

What are you talking about? This comes across that you're taking a shot at me when you've said nothing of the sort in this thread. Maybe it's somewhere else but I don't know.

He's saying that what was coming next in HIS post was a cut & paste of something HE wrote elsewhere.

I don't know why he quoted your post. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

What are you talking about? This comes across that you're taking a shot at me when you've said nothing of the sort in this thread. Maybe it's somewhere else but I don't know.

Absolutely not.  I was just stating my opinion on the 1.01 with how I believe it isn't between Harris and Etienne and that if i was a rebuilding team that needed lots of pieces before I compete i would take either Chase or Williams or trade down.  I am sorry if you think I was directing anything negative towards you, because I wasn't.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...