What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (1 Viewer)

Jrob owner who ended up trading for ETN during draft with the guy who (I correctly assumed reluctantly) picked ETN at 1.5

Any other JRob owners in position to grab him and did so?

I feel ETN has suppressed value right now given the Jax backfield but so did Swift last year. 

Having Jrob at least helps to provide insurance that you have a potential rb1 if one gets hurt, otherwise you've got a rb2 with hopefully big play potential. 

Jrob owner who ended up trading for ETN during draft with the guy who (I correctly assumed reluctantly) picked ETN at 1.5

I feel ETN has suppressed value right now given the Jax backfield but so did Swift last year. 

Having Jrob at least helps to provide insurance that you have a potential rb1 if one gets hurt, otherwise you've got a rb2 with hopefully big play potential. 
I am in the reverse situation. Drafted ETN and am curious what the cost for JRob would be just to secure the backfield. 

I am sending offer in all my leagues for ETN where he was drafted after 1.3 hoping just this... his owner undervalues him because he won't be undervalued by mid season is my guess. When we see his usage I think it will be too late to get him.

I would think a future 2nd.  He is not worth more than that.
As an owner and a buyer this feels right. I tend to believe Jrob still has a future as a fringe rb1 so even without ETN I would probably still hold but I think many owners would move him for a second. 

Seems like Urban is serious about making ETN a true dual threat. He's working out at WR during rookie minicamp. Coach said "Worst case scenario you have a running back with the skillset of a WR, best case scenario you have a hyrbid player that can do both."

I got ETN in a trade after he was drafted last week. My CEH and 2.06 for ETN and 2.02 OTC. I took Marshall and the move hinged on that or I wouldn't have done it. But I do have Robinson so I guess it qualifies. 

Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said RB Travis Etienne is working mostly as a receiver in rookie camp. 

It's officially the time of year where every running back is also a wideout. Meyer said the team has faith in Etienne's rushing abilities, and the “best case scenario” is that he could be used as both a runner and a pass catcher in Jacksonville's offense. “Worst case scenario you have a running back that's elite with receiver skills,” Meyer said, hinting Etienne could continue as a wideout in training camp. The 25th pick in the NFL Draft, Etienne -- who Meyer refers to as "slash" -- is set as the team's primary pass-catching back with a path to some or most of the team's early-down duties while James Robinson and Carlos Hyde pick up the scraps. If Etienne is used strictly as a pass catcher, Robinson could have value as an early-down banger who might see goal line touches. Etienne could be a PPR dynamo if the Jaguars are chasing points for most of the 2021 season, forced into pass-heavy game scripts. He's going in the third round of 12-team best ball drafts. Robinson, meanwhile, is being drafted in the fourth round. 

RELATED: 

James Robinson

, Carlos Hyde

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

May 15, 2021, 2:38 PM ET

Sounds like he's going to be used in a Sproles, Hines, James White, Cohen type role at least for the first season, while they still use Robinson as the main lead back.  This might bolt him over Harris in full PPR leagues.

If this path holds, doesn't seem totally unrealistic that this develops into a situation where both ETN and JRob are startable as RB2s. I love the idea of ETN as a familiar safety value for his rookie QB. Wish I had him in full ppr instead of 0.5. :)

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

I trust John and he says: "The Jaguars asking Etienne to learn more about the receiver position and aspect of his role actually increases his value to the offense because it isn't like he won't still carry the ball...That doesn't mean they won't still let him mainly be a RB"

--------------------------------------------

Jaguars Mailbag: What Do We Make of Travis Etienne's Role?

: What in the world is Urban Meyer doing with Etienne?

A: I really don't think it is that surprising. Clemson didn't use Etienne creatively in the passing game, limiting his routes to a few basic ones out of the backfield and some screens, but he has the kind of stop/start ability, balance, and agility to be a tough matchup when split out wide against linebackers. The Jaguars asking Etienne to learn more about the receiver position and aspect of his role actually increases his value to the offense because it isn't like he won't still carry the ball. The Jaguars sticking Etienne in a running back committee and not utilizing his speed in the passing game as a mismatch would be a mistake.

Sounds like he's going to be used in a Sproles, Hines, James White, Cohen type role at least for the first season, while they still use Robinson as the main lead back.  This might bolt him over Harris in full PPR leagues.
Twitter seems to be really in a tizzy over this. Some think this is a total disaster for ETN and think this means he's being converted into a slot WR. Others think this is best case scenario and a sign he's headed for Kamara like career path. It's a little odd because every year we hear about coaches planning to line their RBs up as WRs (and it almost never actually happens) and everyone gets excited. However their seems to be a lot of people who don't like ETN or Urban and are using every blurb as a sign of their impending failure. 

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

I trust John and he says: "The Jaguars asking Etienne to learn more about the receiver position and aspect of his role actually increases his value to the offense because it isn't like he won't still carry the ball...That doesn't mean they won't still let him mainly be a RB"

--------------------------------------------

Jaguars Mailbag: What Do We Make of Travis Etienne's Role?

: What in the world is Urban Meyer doing with Etienne?

A: I really don't think it is that surprising. Clemson didn't use Etienne creatively in the passing game, limiting his routes to a few basic ones out of the backfield and some screens, but he has the kind of stop/start ability, balance, and agility to be a tough matchup when split out wide against linebackers. The Jaguars asking Etienne to learn more about the receiver position and aspect of his role actually increases his value to the offense because it isn't like he won't still carry the ball. The Jaguars sticking Etienne in a running back committee and not utilizing his speed in the passing game as a mismatch would be a mistake.
I agree with this obviously. Worst case scenario for ETN was him going to a team that was going to call 20 up the middle runs. I want to see him used like David Johnson in Arizona or Kamara in NO. This could be a brief buy window for him because as I noted above, lots of people are looking at this like ETN isn't a RB anymore. 

Twitter seems to be really in a tizzy over this. Some think this is a total disaster for ETN and think this means he's being converted into a slot WR. Others think this is best case scenario and a sign he's headed for Kamara like career path. It's a little odd because every year we hear about coaches planning to line their RBs up as WRs (and it almost never actually happens) and everyone gets excited. However their seems to be a lot of people who don't like ETN or Urban and are using every blurb as a sign of their impending failure. 
I’m trying to take advantage of any ETN owners that don’t like the sounds of it but with little luck this far

Exactly. This news is literally the first smart thing I've read about Meyer's current tenure. It was pretty dumb on the surface to draft a RB in the first, but if he is actually going to put his players in position to best maximize their talent and wants to use ETN as a 50/50 runner and pass catcher, that is fantasy nirvana.

I’m trying to take advantage of any ETN owners that don’t like the sounds of it but with little luck this far
I think if a guy took ETN top 3 then they are probably excited about this news. I would think you have to find the guy who drafted him 6-9 range and felt like they were obligated to take him due to the value.

Exactly. This news is literally the first smart thing I've read about Meyer's current tenure. It was pretty dumb on the surface to draft a RB in the first, but if he is actually going to put his players in position to best maximize their talent and wants to use ETN as a 50/50 runner and pass catcher, that is fantasy nirvana.
Yep, getting 150 carries and 80 receptions is so much better than 200 carries and 30 receptions. 

... lots of people are looking at this like ETN isn't a RB anymore. 
If he were moved to WR and got listed as a WR instead of RB his fantasy value would increase as he'd get carries added to WR production but its doubtful the WR work will go that far.

I look at this as more of a positive for James Robinson owners since it looks like he will still get a lot of work.

If he were moved to WR and got listed as a WR instead of RB his fantasy value would increase as he'd get carries added to WR production but its doubtful the WR work will go that far.

I look at this as more of a positive for James Robinson owners since it looks like he will still get a lot of work.
Depends. If he’s converted to WR and gets 50 carries and 50 receptions, that’s not what I drafted a top 3 dynasty pick for. ETN as a pure wide receiver is a major projection. 

As for JRob, he still has some value. But losing receptions and being the focus of the interior run game isn’t a path to significant ppr value. 

Depends. If he’s converted to WR and gets 50 carries and 50 receptions, that’s not what I drafted a top 3 dynasty pick for. ETN as a pure wide receiver is a major projection. 

As for JRob, he still has some value. But losing receptions and being the focus of the interior run game isn’t a path to significant ppr value. 
I think JRob basically becomes a very decent guaranteed touches bye week plug verging on low end RB2 if Trevor is the real deal and the Jax offense is top 10.

I think JRob basically becomes a very decent guaranteed touches bye week plug verging on low end RB2 if Trevor is the real deal and the Jax offense is top 10.
Lawrence being great right away certainly could boost him up. Also how they distribute touches near the GL will matter a ton. 

Funny how everyone in this thread rated cmc higher than etn as a prospect coming out of college.  Cuz if you read this forum back when cmc was a rookie he was gonna be lucky to carve out a Danny woodhead type role
FWIW I had Dalvin Cook ahead of CMC and both of them ahead of Fournette although all in the same tier. Top 12 fantasy upside. 

I think ETN is a tier one RB prospect as well. To be honest Im more confident in ETN working out than I was CMC who I thought was like Reggie Bush.

ESPN suggesting that the plan is still to utilize Etienne in a hybrid/offensive weapon type of role:

Tim Tebow makes transition for Jaguars; Trevor Lawrence makes rookie mistakes

Excerpt:

One of the players impacted by Lawrence’s limitations during rookie minicamp was running back Travis Etienne. The Jaguars gave him most of his reps at receiver then -- the Jaguars want to use him in a Percy Harvin/slash role -- but he was back at running back on Thursday.

Urban Meyer updates Travis Etienne's position, progress at Jacksonville Jaguars minicamp

The Jacksonville Jaguars used a first-round 2021 NFL Draft pick at No. 25 overall on Travis Etienne, and first-year head coach Urban Meyer sees potential for theformer Clemson Tigers star as both a running back and wide receiver. Monday at Jaguars minicamp, Meyer provided an update on the 5-foot-10, 215-pounder's offseason progress.

"Good — I saw flashes of what I remember seeing in college here, the last week and a half," Meyer said. "The Jaguars, when you look at statistically, big plays were very hard to find last year. And this guy's a big play written all over it. He's a space player. So, ideally, we're going to be one of those multiple offenses that has spread elements as well as the Y, Y or the two tights. I think that's going to be hard to defend, if you do both, and he is a space player — and you could see that the last few practices."

In 45 games at Clemson from 2017-20, Etienne turned 788 touches (686 rushes, 102 receptions) into 6,107 yards (4,952 rushing, 1,555 receiving) and 78 touchdowns (70 rushing, eight receiving). A four-star recruit out of Jennings (La.) High, Etienne was the industry-generated 247Sports Composite's No. 213 overall prospect and No. 15 running back in 2017.

"It was very important, especially for the way the position is headed," Etienne said April 30 at an introductory press conference with the Jaguars, when he was asked about his 2020 season's versatile production. "For running backs, an every-down back, three-down back, be out there on third down, so you can get the little dump offs that turn to 10-, 20-yard gains. And now, I feel as if my transition, it really was amazing to just have (quarterback Trevor Lawrence). He's here again, so we kind of worked on that every day after practice, got on the JUGGS machine. We just really owned it. We wanted to be better. So we got in there and just worked after practice and just it happened."

Etienne is in a position group with the likes of Nathan Cottrell, Carlos Hyde, Dare Ogunbowale, Devine Ozigbo and James Robinson. Jaguars general manager Trent Baalke, though, sees Etienne earning a role — perhaps more than one — in the offense for 2021 and beyond.

"Well, I think if you go back to his college film, I think you see an explosive player and multi-aligned," Baalke said April 30. "Can catch, he can come out of the backfield. So he offers a tremendous amount of versatility in the pass game, as well as that explosive playmaking ability that you covet."

People are really going to wonder why they didn't trust their eyes more and wish they hadn't gone deep in the weeds with overanalysis here.
I'm seeing him ranked as a high end RB3 while every sign points to him being used as a dual threat back. In PPR if healthy he is a high RB2 with insane upside. 

People are really going to wonder why they didn't trust their eyes more and wish they hadn't gone deep in the weeds with overanalysis here.
I've never watched him, not even a highlight.  What jumps out at you when you watched this kid play?  Analysis on him has been all over the board, Waldman has him in Tier 3 among rookie RBs.

I've never watched him, not even a highlight.  What jumps out at you when you watched this kid play?  Analysis on him has been all over the board, Waldman has him in Tier 3 among rookie RBs.
I tend not to over think things. He tore it up against high level competition and improved year over year in college.

Etienne truly broke out during his sophomore season at age 19 when he ran for 24 touchdowns and 1,658 yards. He improved on his receiving skills during his junior and senior seasons (85 catches, 1,020 yards, six scores through the air in 2019-20) while amassing massive rushing numbers (over 2,500 yards).

Etienne left Clemson as a two-time ACC Player of the Year (2018-19), the ACC's all-time leading rusher (4,952 yards) and as the NCAA's all-time leader in games with a touchdown (46).
He has what I consider to be ideal size for an NFL RB. I also don't need an RB to run a 4.3 but I love acceleration - which he is elite at.

Explosive accelerator with breakaway speed, prototypical size. Adept pass catcher. Did it at a young age and against the best competition at the college level. Fastest Power 5 player of the millennium to 6000 yards, ACC all time leading rusher, NCAA record for games with a rushing or reading TD (39). 7.2 ypc for his career. He’s THE big play threat in recent memory. 

Waldman is so wrong again then.

If you ever watched young Clinton Portis that is who ETN reminds me of as a runner. ETN may be a better receiver than Portis was.

Portis is my ideal RB by the way.

So we need to consider him at the 1.3 in a 1 QB, PPR rookie draft? Thought that decision was going to be made for me with what was left from Najee, Chase and Pitts. 

In a Keeper / Dynasty you have to consider in my opinion.  
I’m talking dynasty and I get people are doing it but he’s a TE so I won’t. I get the long term upside at a scarce position but it also means he has to be Kelce/Gronk/Kittle level elite pretty quickly and at a very young age at a position that is notoriously slow or else it’s just a waste. There is a lot of risk. Look at current dynasty rankings for the TE, RB and WR position. It’s easy to see that unless a TE is truly elite, he’s not all that highly valued. Mark Andrews for example is 25 and has had a really high end first 3 years in the league is only ranked as the 59th player in Fantasy Pros for dynasty. He’s behind Woods, Lamar and Devonta Smith. A 29 year old WR with no upside, a QB and a rookie WR. Miles Sanders who has been disappointing is ranked much higher than Andrews. Hock who was a top 10 pick and had a 700 yard season at age 22 is behind Chris Carson who probably has 1 more year left as a starter. I’m not saying I fully agree with all these ranks but they represent a consensus of opinions on value. Value matters because dynasty usually has a lot of trades.

Any player at any position can disappoint or become a difference maker but going TE or QB at 1.01 in a traditional format leaves zero room for error. 

Explosive accelerator with breakaway speed, prototypical size. Adept pass catcher. Did it at a young age and against the best competition at the college level. Fastest Power 5 player of the millennium to 6000 yards, ACC all time leading rusher, NCAA record for games with a rushing or reading TD (39). 7.2 ypc for his career. He’s THE big play threat in recent memory. 
I’ve always like him. One Q though - and this is a silly metric which should NOT be overemphasized, it’s not the best indicator of what happened in the game - why was his YPC a relatively low 5.4 last year? The other elite ACC backs, Carter & Williams, were 8.0 & 7.3 last year.

I’ve always like him. One Q though - and this is a silly metric which should NOT be overemphasized, it’s not the best indicator of what happened in the game - why was his YPC a relatively low 5.4 last year? The other elite ACC backs, Carter & Williams, were 8.0 & 7.3 last year.
I don’t know for sure but my guess would be the Clemson offense wasn’t as good as it had been in the few years prior. Lawrence missed 2 games. Their top 2 WRs were small and slow Amari Rodgers who is a slot player who hadn’t broken out until his senior year and Cornell Powell, who was a slow 5th year senior who had never passed 122 yards in his 4 prior seasons with Clemson. Maybe teams loaded up to stop the run and so the team adjusted and used ETN as a receiving weapon more than ever, getting him the ball out wide and in space so he didn’t have to deal with jammed running lanes. On the other hand, the UNC backs had a future NFL top pick QB, Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome who have combined for 3 1000 yard seasons. 

I also found this PFF blurb about the Clemson IOL:

Clemson’s run blocking has been disappointing. The interior offensive line ranks at a lowly 83rd in run-blocking grade among FBS team. 

Though they also noted the UNC offensive line was terrible so more props to Carter and Williams for their great years.

Not sure its a correlation but, his receptions total and per game were up pretty big, and he played 3 less games. So maybe it was a slight change in the offensive approach possibly? Oline issues? Lack of a super stud WR making running lanes a little narrower?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/travis-etienne-1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of great reports out of camp. Beat writers saying he looks like a natural at RB and WR. Coaches said he’s a big play waiting to happen and they are seeing what they saw of him in college. Love to see the positive momentum.

Ilov80s said:
I encourage you to check him out and tell us what you think. Would love to hear from someone less "tainted"

ETN vs Miami 2020

ETN vs UVA 2020

ETN 2017-2019 Highlights

ETN 2020 Highlights
To be brutally honest, I have no idea what to look for which is why I don't do any player evaluations.  In general, college defenses are complete ####, which skews the results even if the process was bad.

My impressions:

Miami - he got a ton of dumpoffs and did almost nothing with them.  Running plays were nearly all stuffed or losses.  2nd quarter TD was not so much him doing anything well, he benefited from terrible tackling after running hopelessly up the gut. I saw what appeared to be two separate holding violations (OL and WR) on the play.

To end the 1st half he had one good run on an RPO (I think?) and a good gain on a designed screen pass.

3rd quarter long TD was a nice play to show his speed, but holy hell what an atrocious defensive call and lackadaisical attempts at tackles (see comment above about college defenses being complete ####). #21 gave up on it thinking his teammate would make the play.

4th quarter shuffle pass was an exhibition in showing me a player who doesn't want to do the dirty work.  He completely gave himself up instead of trying to play over/around/through the defender.

I grade the game roughly a B, I guess?  He didn't do anything special.

Virginia - Looks like they didn't want to cover him at all at first.  And he still ran poorly up the middle.  Had a wide open play that he could have busted to the outside and couldn't get there, the defender ran him down easily.  Went down on first contact.

Stuffed on 2nd and 1 short of the 1st down.

Great effort and balance on the 1st quarter TD, but also terrible tacking and terrible angles by the defense (see comment above about college defenses being complete ####)

3rd quarter dumpoff huge gain was primarily poor tackling, but if you want to give him credit for breaking them I won't argue it. Again I'll critique his effort at the end of the run allowing the defender to push him out of bounds.

3rd quarter run from the 8 yard line - couldn't accelerate through a HUGE hole and was taken down at the five.  TD catch on the next play was either a great play call or horrific defense, he did nothing special himself.  I credit Lawrence on that one.

I'll go through the other two videos if you want, but if these are examples of his 'great play', then call me unconvinced.

To be brutally honest, I have no idea what to look for which is why I don't do any player evaluations.  In general, college defenses are complete ####, which skews the results even if the process was bad.
I completely agree with this. Whenever I watch college football there is an adjustment compared to pro football you have to make and its mostly because of incompetence on defense.

As far as what to look for with a RB I try to ignore everything besides just the RB and what they do. Context is important of course, you have to recognize what the RB is reacting to and it is helpful to understand the play they are running, thats not always easy to do but it helps a lot if you understand the play and what the rules are for the RB on such plays as part of the evaluation.

When I was doing the trait based charting I had like 13 different things I was looking for and I would just check the box if the player demonstrated one or more of those things on a play. Some plays are more impressive than others, so for instance if you see a RB using power to gain extra yards after contact, not all of those plays are the same effort or feat of doing this, so in some cases it would be worth more than one check, maybe two for a really exceptional play.

Similarly if a player does something bad that would be a negative check for that trait on that play. I rarely had these most of my checks were when the player did something positive.

Honestly its a time consuming process and its a lot harder than people think. Even for folks who have been watching football for decades, if you sit down and actually try to take evaluating these players seriously, you begin to realize there is a lot you dont know about football and you may have to stop and study some of those things to make better sense of what you are watching. That is what happened with me anyways.

I did learn a lot. There is still a lot I do not know.

Users who are viewing this thread