What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (1 Viewer)

I don’t know this one very well, have previous RBs been able to return to form, or has it been a career killer?
Julio Jones fractured his Lisfranc in the 2013 season. His next two seasons were career best at the time (albeit with Roddy White retiring) with 104/1593/6 in 2014 and 136/1871/8 in 2015.

Brian Westbrook injured his Lisfranc in 2005. His next two seasons were career best rushing 240/1217/7 and receiving 77/699/4 in 2006 and rushing 278/1333/7 and receiving 90/771/5 in 2007 while only playing 15 games each season.

Le’Veon Bell suffered a minor injury to his Lisfranc in 2013. His next two seasons he rushed 290/1361/8 and received 83/854/3 in 2014 and rushed 113/556/3 and received 24/136/0 over 6 games in 2015.

MJD injured his Lisfranc in 2012. He only played one full season after that and his production dipped by nearly 50% in 2013 when he rushed 234/803/5 and received 43/314/0.

Santonio Holmes severely injured his Lisfranc in 2012. The next season he had a sharp decline receiving 23/456/1 over 11 games in 2013. In 2014, he played less than 250 snaps and retired.

Cedric Benson injured his Lisfranc in 2012. He never played another snap after that.

Ronnie Brown injured his Lisfranc in 2009. He declined in 2010 by rushing 200/734/5 and receiving 33/242/0. He was relegated to backup duties in 2011 and never regained the job.

After a breakout year, Darren McFadden injured his Lisfranc in 2011. His next season he declined sharply rushing for 215/707/2 and receiving for 42/258/1.

After being drafted 9th overall in 2007, Ted Ginn Jr. injured his Lisfranc prior to his rookie season. He never reached his potential and put up less than 40 catches and 500 yards in 5 of his first 6 seasons while battling injuries.

Overall, it all comes down to the severity of the injury, how it is treated, and player’s ability to overcome injury setbacks. It can be a devastating injury if it is a severe case (Holmes) or mishandled (McFadden), but it is not a certain death-wish as seen by Julio, Bell, and Westbrook.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DynastyFF/comments/b95put/what_current_and_past_players_have_had_lisfranc/

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall, it all comes down to the severity of the injury, how it is treated, and player’s ability to overcome injury setbacks. It can be a devastating injury if it is a severe case (Holmes) or mishandled (McFadden), but it is not a certain death-wish as seen by Julio, Bell, and Westbrook.
Thank you for the player comps! 

Given that we have a tweet saying "significant tear" and that he's already declared out for the season, is he a complete DND going forward?  I have a panicked owner trying to offload him at significant discount in dynasty, I'm wondering if he's on the right side of the fence or if I should take a chance on the distressed asset.

Given that we have a tweet saying "significant tear" and that he's already declared out for the season, is he a complete DND going forward?  I have a panicked owner trying to offload him at significant discount in dynasty, I'm wondering if he's on the right side of the fence or if I should take a chance on the distressed asset.
It depends on the price of course but ETN is young and younger players do have a better chance at full recovery than older ones.

I will likely be looking to buy him in dynasty as long as it doesnt impact my starting line up much.

I suppose it depends on the risk you're willing to take. In dynasty leagues, my guess is giving a future 2nd is the type of risk worth taking if you believe that 2nd will be no better than mid to late.

It's not a luxury pick.  Basically keep 8 guys each year so round 1 ends up being almost all rookies. Have pick #2 and #14.  Javonte or Pitts at #2 and maybe I still take him at #14 if he slips?
If you only keep 8 guys each year then I wouldn't waste a pick on him.  You can find better guys to keep that have actually shown at the NFL level.  

Julio Jones fractured his Lisfranc in the 2013 season. His next two seasons were career best at the time (albeit with Roddy White retiring) with 104/1593/6 in 2014 and 136/1871/8 in 2015.

Brian Westbrook injured his Lisfranc in 2005. His next two seasons were career best rushing 240/1217/7 and receiving 77/699/4 in 2006 and rushing 278/1333/7 and receiving 90/771/5 in 2007 while only playing 15 games each season.

Le’Veon Bell suffered a minor injury to his Lisfranc in 2013. His next two seasons he rushed 290/1361/8 and received 83/854/3 in 2014 and rushed 113/556/3 and received 24/136/0 over 6 games in 2015.

MJD injured his Lisfranc in 2012. He only played one full season after that and his production dipped by nearly 50% in 2013 when he rushed 234/803/5 and received 43/314/0.

Santonio Holmes severely injured his Lisfranc in 2012. The next season he had a sharp decline receiving 23/456/1 over 11 games in 2013. In 2014, he played less than 250 snaps and retired.

Cedric Benson injured his Lisfranc in 2012. He never played another snap after that.

Ronnie Brown injured his Lisfranc in 2009. He declined in 2010 by rushing 200/734/5 and receiving 33/242/0. He was relegated to backup duties in 2011 and never regained the job.

After a breakout year, Darren McFadden injured his Lisfranc in 2011. His next season he declined sharply rushing for 215/707/2 and receiving for 42/258/1.

After being drafted 9th overall in 2007, Ted Ginn Jr. injured his Lisfranc prior to his rookie season. He never reached his potential and put up less than 40 catches and 500 yards in 5 of his first 6 seasons while battling injuries.

Overall, it all comes down to the severity of the injury, how it is treated, and player’s ability to overcome injury setbacks. It can be a devastating injury if it is a severe case (Holmes) or mishandled (McFadden), but it is not a certain death-wish as seen by Julio, Bell, and Westbrook

Great work and I appreciate it. Impossible to say how much the injury played in some of those declines. Ginn might never have worked out regardless of his foot injury. Benson was 30, on his 3rd team and wasn't playing well before the foot injury but yeah it's a really bad injury. 

Just sucks all around for FF.

• for those who drafted him already. 
• for those who intended to draft hiM

• for those (like me) who weren’t planning to draft him, but wanted someone else to do so in the 5th-Ish so someone I did want would fall to me. 

Medicine technology continues to evolve quickly with sports injuries. Most of those comps listed above (thanks for the list, that is nice to have) should be noted that they are nearly a decade old or longer. 

It's hard to say because Etienne hasn't done anything in the league, yet he has a lot of hype and very young. 

At some point, ACLs went from automatic career killers to nearly no impact beyond 10 months or so.  

My gut says to optimistically hold. 

didn't Robert Smith have a Lisfranc injury, as well as H.A.S and other ailments? FINALLY put it all together to lead the league in rushing but it took a long time.

Feel horrible for the kid...

Stayed in school,  now another year lost to injury, 23 going on 24 next season.  Peak years disappearing from his career...

FreeBaGeL said:
Well now instead someone will draft Jrob in the 2nd/3rd so that should be even better in terms of pushing talent down a bit. 
Mocking tonight he’s been consistently going in the 4th. 

I like him less than some of the 5th round RBs.

So good point. 👍🏼

Tanner9919 said:
didn't Robert Smith have a Lisfranc injury, as well as H.A.S and other ailments? FINALLY put it all together to lead the league in rushing but it took a long time.
I can’t find anything with Smith having a Lisfranc injury, only knee injuries.  Do you have a link you could share?

JohnnyU said:
I suppose it depends on the risk you're willing to take. In dynasty leagues, my guess is giving a future 2nd is the type of risk worth taking if you believe that 2nd will be no better than mid to late.
How far do you think he falls in Dynasty drafts that haven't happened yet? 

Knowing he’s missing a year, plus the nature of the injury being a little dicey, I wouldn’t draft him until the 3rd.

He’s probably going to go mid-to-late 2nd?  Speculating of course. 

I really liked what I saw in Gaskin. Looked explosive & clearly the best RB in that backfield. It wasn’t close. 

Henderson as well. I think he has more opportunity in a better offense. 
Gaskin did look really really good. I don’t think Henderson has a 5th round ADP. Thanks for the response.

Gaskin did look really really good. I don’t think Henderson has a 5th round ADP. Thanks for the response.
I’ve been live mocking for the last 3 hours. He’s gone 5th 4x and 4th once. In a draft to the guy who started Kelce/Kittle 1.12/2.01, so take that with a grain of salt. 

Interesting question, I have my draft this Sunday and have the 4th and 10th pick. He’ll likely fall to me, if I had to guess it will be between Pitts and ETN or in another case Chase and ETN. It’s a TE premo and I’m set at RB so I don’t need him or I can afford let him sit a year to heal with no worries.

Tex

I’ve been live mocking for the last 3 hours. He’s gone 5th 4x and 4th once. In a draft to the guy who started Kelce/Kittle 1.12/2.01, so take that with a grain of salt. 
Live mocking is fun and all but ultimately anyone’s personal experience is a tiny tiny tiny sample compared to the ADPs across thousands of drafts. He’s at 35 on FFCalc and 45 on Sleeper.

Interesting question, I have my draft this Sunday and have the 4th and 10th pick. He’ll likely fall to me, if I had to guess it will be between Pitts and ETN or in another case Chase and ETN. It’s a TE premo and I’m set at RB so I don’t need him or I can afford let him sit a year to heal with no worries.

Tex
I’d take him at 10 easily.

Live mocking is fun and all but ultimately anyone’s personal experience is a tiny tiny tiny sample compared to the ADPs across thousands of drafts. He’s at 35 on FFCalc and 45 on Sleeper.
that’s 3rd round? crazy.  I’d never take Henderson that high. I’ve done probably 100 mocks and haven’t seen him go higher than 4th round. 

Tex

If its a TE premium league, (and it seems like it is from what you say) I'd take Pitts at 4 and not hesitate. Especially if you are set at RB. Then you can debate Etienne or someone else at 10.

I'm generally not a big dynasty player, but here is a case where you might be able to acquire the next great TE, and lock him down for 10 years.  In a TE premium league?  Having an uber stud at TE for years to come (In a TE premium league) is as strong as rat poison.

TZM

Tex
Would be shocked if Pitts fell to 4 in a dynasty TE premium league.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Just sucks all around for FF.

• for those who drafted him already. 
• for those who intended to draft hiM

• for those (like me) who weren’t planning to draft him, but wanted someone else to do so in the 5th-Ish so someone I did want would fall to me. 
Not quite all around . 😉

I’m part of a small but happy (but still kinda sad, ‘cause we’re human after all and this is a young man’s life for Pete’s sake!) group who only own Robinson.

Feeling much better about Swift-Robinson as my RB 2-3 than I was just yesterday(dynasty).

Not quite all around . 😉

I’m part of a small but happy (but still kinda sad, ‘cause we’re human after all and this is a young man’s life for Pete’s sake!) group who only own Robinson.

Feeling much better about Swift-Robinson as my RB 2-3 than I was just yesterday(dynasty).

well, Swift isn’t exactly a sure thing right now but I get it. Robinson owners can’t be too upset. 

well, Swift isn’t exactly a sure thing right now but I get it. Robinson owners can’t be too upset. 
You’ve got that right about Swift.  Which is why Robinson now feels safer at least to me. I do wonder how much of this might be some Dan Campbell tough love trying to get the best out of his young back but I digress…

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jaguars RB Travis Etienne (Lisfranc) will undergo foot surgery Thursday.

The procedure will be performed by noted expert Dr. Robert Anderson, who has performed hundreds of foot and ankle surgeries on NFL athletes from his offices in Wisconsin. 23-year-old Etienne, who has already been placed on season-ending IR, is expected to recover for up to four months, plenty of time to return to training camp next year in full health. James Robinson remains a middle-of-the-road RB2 in his short-term stead.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 2, 2021, 7:46 AM ET

One thing missing from Faust’s update is  that James Robinson fantasy owners have set-up a gofundme page to pay for the surgery.

It happened.  Fell to me at 12.  Was going to go QB but Lawrence/Fields went before me.  

With Robinson having torn his Achilles and the severity unknown, Etienne’s own Lisfranc recovery may be an even bigger story in the off-season now.

Jaguars RB Travis Etienne (foot) said he could have returned this season but doctors wanted to make sure he was 100 percent recovered from September Lisfranc surgery. 

Etienne underwent foot surgery after suffering the season-ending injury in a preseason game against the Saints. The rookie first-round pick may have made a late-season comeback if the Jaguars were a competitive team. Unfortunately, they are not. James Robinson muscled his way into an every-down role despite disgraced former head coach Urban Meyer continually trying to make Carlos Hyde the Jags' primary back. Etienne was expected to be used as something of a hybrid player in Meyers' offense. Whether he'll be used on early downs as well as in passing situations will be up to the team's next head coach. Robinson, meanwhile, is signed through the 2022 NFL season. 

RELATED: 

James Robinson

SOURCE: Eugene Frenette on Twitter 

Jan 10, 2022, 10:32 AM ET

Jaguars RB Travis Etienne (Lisfranc surgery) expects to be ready for offseason workouts. 

Etienne was cleared to ramp up his workouts last week and has been running since January. The second-year back put his health in the "80 percent range." With James Robinson (Achilles) sidelined, Etienne should get the majority of reps in OTAs after a lost rookie year. There was talk of moving Etienne to receiver before his injury, a role Jamal Agnew played under Urban Meyer. How quickly Robinson returns will determine how Etienne is used in 2022.

SOURCE: The Players Podcast

Feb 18, 2022, 6:29 PM ET

Jaguars' Travis Etienne on rookie season: 'If there was any year to miss, I missed a great one'

Excerpt:

Tuesday, Etienne met with reporters to update them on his recovery. He said he was 85 to 90 percent recovered from his Lisfranc injury, via 1010 XL, which shows his rehab has him on the right track. Etienne also had an interesting comment about missing his rookie season.

The 2021 campaign for the Jaguars was more about off-field issues as opposed to their on-field issues. Head coach Urban Meyer was fired less than one year into his new gig, and provided plenty of distractions that hurt this team. When Etienne was asked by a reporter if he was glad he didn't have to go through the week-to-week grind in what was not the best environment, Etienne admitted he somewhat was. 

"Na, na, definitely. That's just the human element of it, just seeing the results you're definitely like, 'Phew, if there was any year to miss, I missed a great one,'" Etienne said with a smile. 

Etienne was a formidable dual-threat weapon during his time in Clemson, and helped the Tigers win four ACC titles and a national title in 2018. According to Clemson's official website, Etienne is the NCAA FBS record holder for most career games scoring a touchdown -- 46 of his 55 career games. In all, he rushed for 4,952 yards and 70 touchdowns in four seasons. 

With Robinson having torn his Achilles and the severity unknown, Etienne’s own Lisfranc recovery may be an even bigger story in the off-season now.
I'd want to know what the market is for one of them. The Jags are in rebuild mode and an oft losing team doesn't need (if) two top backs playing from behind. 

Probably the market is poor as RBs are cheap and they're overcoming injury BUT I would absolutely see if one could be traded. Turning that into another starter is most important

I'd want to know what the market is for one of them. The Jags are in rebuild mode and an oft losing team doesn't need (if) two top backs playing from behind. 

Probably the market is poor as RBs are cheap and they're overcoming injury BUT I would absolutely see if one could be traded. Turning that into another starter is most important
Would he fetch a 3rd?  Would the Jags accept anything less?

There’s no market for Robinson. He tore his Achilles, he’s not a great talent, there’s not a ton of teams in major need for a RB, there’s a lot of RBs in this draft and this is the last year of his contract. 

And why would the Jags trade ETN? Who is going to play RB for them? Aren’t they trying to help Lawrence develop? Isn’t ETN Lawrence’s security blanket and friend? 

There’s no market for Robinson. He tore his Achilles, he’s not a great talent, there’s not a ton of teams in major need for a RB, there’s a lot of RBs in this draft and this is the last year of his contract. 

And why would the Jags trade ETN? Who is going to play RB for them? Aren’t they trying to help Lawrence develop? Isn’t ETN Lawrence’s security blanket and friend? 
Frankly, I think there is a better chance that they add another RB (like a 3rd/4th round guy) than trade anyone. 

Ilov80s said:
I started typing something really similar late-night last night and just deleted it. Trade? Who wants Robinson for a third? No way. He's a UDFA who runs about a 4.65 in the last year of his contract coming off an Achilles' heel injury. I've had a hard time restraining myself from commenting over people giving up early second-round picks for him in fantasy. 

Makes no sense.

I've had a hard time restraining myself from commenting over people giving up early second-round picks for him in fantasy. 

Makes no sense.
Feel like that's what he's worth myself, certainly would not give him up for less but I feel like I've been arguing against him being some kind of compiler for a long time now. 

Feel like that's what he's worth myself, certainly would not give him up for less but I feel like I've been arguing against him being some kind of compiler for a long time now. 
Fair enough. We’ve discussed it before and have slightly different conclusions. He didn’t have enough burst to lose, IMO. 

So maybe it doesn't affect him as much then? :shrug:
I think I'd break it down this way: 

Slow for a pro guy blows out ACL. Does anyone think that adds to his speed and his game or does it push him closer to being just too slow?  Don't forget, even the best athletes can slip out of the pro range of speed. 

Guy with good burst but slow for a pro blows out Achilles' heel. Do you really think it adds to his game or does it more likely decrease his burst and push him closer to being not bursty enough and too slow? Same thing applies. 

Really, you have to use common sense and think that pro athletes have to achieve an athletic baseline and they can slip below that baseline for a myriad of reasons, injury being one of them. Especially if they were on the negative cusp of that line to begin with. 

I don't know. Just seems like a lot of wishcasting for Robinson to be as effective as he was. Will that be enough? Maybe. I'm not betting on it, though. 

But modern science is a marvel. Perhaps he returns just as strong. If he does, he's clearly worth a second-round rookie pick. And you should bet on modern science. You'll reap rewards if you do. Just not with this particular injury at running back yet, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread