What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (1 Viewer)

I am seeing that he weighed in at 215 lbs. Is that confirmed?
As long as it's not all fat like Mr. Edgar says... 😍

Wat? You thought he looked shredded?
With a gun to my head yes. He had a shirt on and to me he looked closer to the shredded end of the equation than the whatever you thought you saw side. But I mean he looks like one of the best athletes on the planet yes.

This. Maybe "fat" was a tad extreme, but he looked a soft. Definitely a different appearance than the 199 we saw him play at a few months ago.
Soft is good word.  Also, never trust a pro-day time.  It's a shame we don't have a combine and I'm thinking it really messes with the head of a lot of NFL scouts.  Two things you never believe, the schools profile page of a player's weight and a pro-day 40.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soft is good word.  Also, never trust a pro-day time.  It's a shame we don't have a combine and I'm thinking it really messes with the head of a lot of NFL scouts.  Two things you never believe, the schools profile page of a player's weight and a pro-day 40.
A combine would be great right now for an apples-to-apples comparison. Etienne's straight-line speed is his rare trait and I'd love to know just how rare it is. I will say I questioned his wiggle when he was 199lbs and now that he's added 16lbs I'm not sure that's best for his pro game. I would have preferred a chiseled 205-210lbs but maybe I'm splitting hairs. 

I'm in about a dozen or so dynasty leagues. I'm willing to bet between all those leagues we will see 3 different #1 picks. I just don't see a slam dunk consensus between the top 3 RBs and Chase....and if the hype keeps going crazy for Pitts who knows how far up he'll go! 

Here’s my take:

I’ve never seen such a complete profile and high profile RB get so much negativity. Even when he answers every question people have.

First, it was “but he doesn’t catch passes”. So he went out and turned himself into one of the premier pass catching backs in college. Then, it was “he’s just fast but too small for the NFL grind”. So he comes in at 215 and runs faster (even when we add the proper .05 to his time to account for pro day vs combine) than Akers or Swift. He’s bigger and faster than them with production that blows them off the planet. He also put up a 98th percentile broad jump at 215. Whether he plays at 208 or 215 he’s plenty big enough and explosive enough. 

So now we are left with this odd take that his body is weird or he’s fat or his gait is weird or he has bad footwork or can’t break tackles. This stuff is all so subjective. I’ve seen film watchers (Ray Garvin for example) say ETN has the best contact balance in the class. 

When you remove all the subjective stuff and just look at the facts, this is damn near as good of a RB prospect as you will find in any class. You may still like Harris or Williams better, they have a lot to offer and draft capital/landing spot matter but the negative takes on him are crazy. I’ve seen some “draft experts” on Twitter call him a day 3 pick or say he’s barely got a 3rd grade. It’s absurd.

Oh I forgot the new angle that he wasn’t good in big games. Let me remind you of 

ND 2021 Bowl game: 10/124/1

tOSU 2019 Bowl game: caught 3 passes for 98/2

LSU 2019 Bowl game 78/1 rushing with 5.2 ypc

2018 Bowl games against Bama and ND: over 200 total yards and 4 TDs

The good stuff.  He obviously has burst and and can hit a hole and take it to the house on any play.  His absolute ceiling could be someone like Dalvin Cook, or Alvin Kamara and get about 170 - 180 carries a season and do what he does in the passing game.  His improvement as a receiver the last two years was evident, I admit I don't know much about his ability to run routes however.  Was his receiving yards more from dump offs?

The bad stuff.  While he did improve getting the hard yards in 2020, he's not a power runner.  His contact balance and ability to create yards is not one of his strengths.  He doesn't really have the wiggle to make the first man miss.  He's a straight line / somewhat upright runner that must have the holes in front of him.

I acknowledge he’s not a power runner or a grinder. He isn’t going to play like Lynch or Henry in that regard but so what? If we are saying he plays more like CMC or Kamara, isn’t that better than playing like Lynch or Henry?

eta: I don’t think he is CMC or Alvin myself. I see more Jamal Charles. I do think his routes are more screens and dump offs. He catches well, he just wasn’t asked to run much else. Maybe he can, maybe he can’t. I also agree he’s linear and isn’t shifty. I just think there’s examples of RBs who win that way and ETN’s profile indicates if anyone is going to win with acceleration, it’s going to be him.

Now you guys are saying ETN doesnt have good change of direction abilities?

Oy Vey get some glasses.
Agreed. I mean he’s not Barry Sanders but saying he can’t change direction is wild. He’s not the “juke a guy out of their shoes” player but in the open field he’s able to change vectors at full speed and turn defenders into spectators. 

Agreed. I mean he’s not Barry Sanders but saying he can’t change direction is wild. He’s not the “juke a guy out of their shoes” player but in the open field he’s able to change vectors at full speed and turn defenders into spectators. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69k9H8XJt1c&ab_channel=ThePodfatherandRotoUnderworldRadio  See 22.50 on this link.  They discuss Etienne and Williams.  Both good and bad for both.  Funny with Garvin's statements about Etienne's weight gain (he's soft).  I expect him to play around 200 to 205 however.

Will definitely listen, thanks. I know Ray G has a video where he said ETN has the best contact balance in the draft but he does have ETN at RB3.
I can't see anyone saying ETN has great contact balance.  That is ridiculous.  That's a weakness with him, along with his ability to get yards after contact, probably his worse trait.  If you have a link and time spot where Garvin said that I would love to hear it.

I can't see anyone saying ETN has great contact balance.  That is ridiculous.  That's a weakness with him, along with his ability to get yards after contact, probably his worse trait.  If you have a link and time spot where Garvin said that I would love to hear it.
Cool I’ll look for it later and post for you 

Watch the video that I linked above titled Daniel Jeremiah breaks down why Travis Etienne is his top RB prospect - In that video at the 0:43 mark Daniel Jeremiah has some praise for Etienne’s contact balance.

Saquon Barkley, Baker Mayfield among interesting fifth-year option decisions; Travis Etienne team fits

Excerpt:

TRAVIS ETIENNE: Five fits for RB prospect

All eyes were on Travis Etienne at Clemson's pro day -- and the spectacular playmaker didn't disappoint. The No. 2 running back on my top-five list dazzled evaluators in attendance Thursday on the way to cementing his status as a Day 1 prospect.

Checking in at 5-foot-10 and 215 pounds, Etienne showed off a chiseled frame that appears ready to handle the rigors of being a three-down back. The Clemson standout showcased A-level athleticism and explosiveness with a 10-foot-8-inch broad jump and a 33.5-inch vertical jump. Most importantly, Etienne clocked 40-yard dash times of 4.41 and 4.43 seconds. Although some evaluators expected him to post sub-4.4 times, there aren't any questions about his game speed, burst and explosiveness in pads. And let's be honest: Can anyone really consider 4.41 disappointing?

During positional drills, Etienne's combination of balance, body control and agility was impressive. He glided through the bags without losing speed and his instant acceleration at the end of the drills suggested that he has another gear to run away from defenders at the second level.

As a pass catcher, Etienne displayed better-than-expected hands and ball skills. He plucked the ball out of the air with ease and didn't appear to have any issues adjusting to errant throws. Although he lacks refinement as a route runner, he is an A+ athlete with the potential to become a mismatch in the passing game. Even if he fails to develop into an Alvin Kamara-like all-around weapon, he'll still remain an explosive option on screens and swings.

Comparing Etienne's workout to his performance in pads, it is easy to see why he was one of the most prolific playmakers in ACC and college football history. He finished his career with 6,000-plus scrimmage yards (4,952 rush yards, 1,155 receiving yards) and 78 total touchdowns (70 rushing, eight receiving) in 1,852 career snaps over 55 games.

Etienne is a dazzling one-cut runner with exceptional speed, quickness and burst. He has the kind of zero-to-60 acceleration that leads to sleepless nights for defensive coordinators crafting game plans to defend him in the backfield. As an inside runner, he displays outstanding balance, body control and agility running through arm tackles in traffic. He powers through contact and finishes his runs with authority.

In the passing game, Etienne is a dynamic playmaker on screens and swings. He displays the patience to weave through traffic behind his blockers while avoiding defenders in pursuit. He remains a work in progress as a route runner, but his overall explosiveness is eye-popping.

Overall, Etienne is a Day 1 prospect with the potential to become a star in the right system. He has speed to burn and a combination of balance, body control and vision that makes him a threat to score whenever he touches the rock.

Here are five ideal team fits for the Clemson product:

New York Jets

Top two picks: No. 2 and No. 23

The Jets' implementation of the wide-zone running scheme (Shanahan system) could make this pairing a match made in heaven. Etienne is an explosive one-cut runner with a decisive running style that perfectly suits the system. He possesses the speed and burst to turn the corner on outside runs while also displaying the vision, balance and body control to shoot through creases on the back side against fast-flowing defenses. With new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur intent on running the rock to alleviate pressure on a young quarterback, the Jets could view the Clemson standout as the perfect playmaker to bring the running game to life.

Buffalo Bills

Top two picks: No. 30 and No. 61

The Josh Allen Show is must-see TV, but the Bills' offense needs more firepower in the backfield to knock off the heavyweights in the AFC. Etienne is not only more explosive and dynamic than the current running backs on the roster (Devin Singletaryand Zack Moss), but he is more likely to thrive as a three-down back in the Bills' wide-open offense. The prospect is an effective runner in spread formations. His combination of speed, burst and acceleration would pose problems for defenses forced to play with light boxes to account for Allen and Co. in the passing game. Given Etienne's big-play potential as a pass catcher on screens, swings and check downs, the Bills' offense could explode with this guy as the RB1.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Top two picks: No. 24 and No. 55

Fixing the running game is the No. 1 priority in Pittsburgh after the Steelers ranked dead last in rushing (84.4 rush yards per game) last season. Etienne would give the Steelers a home-run hitter in the backfield with every-down capabilities. As an explosive runner with the capacity to turn the corner or slash between the tackles, he is a nice complement to their spread passing game. As an effective runner from the shotgun, Etienne's presence would enable Ben Roethlisberger to continue to play his preferred style (dink-and-dunk passing game from wide-open formations) while adding balance to the Steelers' offense. With the speedster also showing promise as a pass catcher, particularly in the screen game, the Steelers could remake their offense into a more diverse unit. 

Miami Dolphins

Top two picks: No. 3 and No. 18

If the Dolphins want to bring out the best in Tua Tagovailoa, they must upgrade the weapons around him. From running back to wide receiver, Miami needs to add more playmakers to the mix to enable No. 1 to play like a pass-first point guard directing a fast-break offense. Etienne would certainly add some explosiveness as an electric playmaker with big-play ability as a runner-receiver. He displays the zero-to-60 acceleration and burst to take it the distance on inside or outside runs, while also flashing solid receiving skills in the passing game. If the Dolphins want to add more sizzle to the offense, Etienne should be high on their wish list.

Atlanta Falcons

Top two picks: No. 4 and No. 35

New head coach Arthur Smith revived Ryan Tannehill's career in Tennessee by blending a smashmouth running game with a dynamic aerial attack. He could help Matt Ryan regain his MVP form by utilizing similar tactics with an electric runner in the backfield. Etienne fits the bill as a speedster with exceptional stop-start quickness and burst. He has packed on the pounds to handle the rigors of running between the tackles while retaining the breakaway speed that makes him special. As Smith implements his plan to add more pop to the Falcons' offense, he certainly must consider adding a weapon like Etienne to the mix.

Ilov80s said:
You were agreeing with Johnny U about lack of COD in post just 3 hours before this one were you not?

A girl has a right to change her mind I guess. Maybe you were just in a agreeable mood at the time.

There are 2 things about RB I look for the most, because I love these traits in them. Vision and agility (COD ability) and reading this thread the past few days folks are claiming he has deficiencies in these two things and I find those opinions baseless and disconnected from reality.

You were agreeing with Johnny U about lack of COD in post just 3 hours before this one were you not?

A girl has a right to change her mind I guess. Maybe you were just in a agreeable mood at the time.

There are 2 things about RB I look for the most, because I love these traits in them. Vision and agility (COD ability) and reading this thread the past few days folks are claiming he has deficiencies in these two things and find those opinions baseless and disconnected from reality.
What do you mean? I feel like I have been pro ETN all the way. Show me the quote so I can see if I was crazy or what.

Ilov80s said:
I acknowledge he’s not a power runner or a grinder. He isn’t going to play like Lynch or Henry in that regard but so what? If we are saying he plays more like CMC or Kamara, isn’t that better than playing like Lynch or Henry?

eta: I don’t think he is CMC or Alvin myself. I see more Jamal Charles. I do think his routes are more screens and dump offs. He catches well, he just wasn’t asked to run much else. Maybe he can, maybe he can’t. I also agree he’s linear and isn’t shifty. I just think there’s examples of RBs who win that way and ETN’s profile indicates if anyone is going to win with acceleration, it’s going to be him.
FWIW I was just listening to Greg Cosell from the link Johnny posted and he is saying the same things, or agreeing with his partner about ETN lack of make you miss ability.

Yet he thinks ETN compares to Dalvin Cook....

FWIW I was just listening to Greg Cosell from the link Johnny posted and he is saying the same things, or agreeing with his partner about ETN lack of make you miss ability.

I do think he is linear and I don't think he is shifty.  That's not a big knock IMO. Different players win different ways. He is not Lesean McCoy. Shifty isn't the same as COD though. I think he can fly and he can adjust his angle without losing speed, he jusr can't stop and put on a shake and bake to lose a defender in the box. 

I spent some time watching ETN for awhile more this evening and I guess I can accept what you and Johnny U are saying about ETN not being a jitterbug stop and start type elusiveness that you see from David Montgomery for example.

I remember having a passionate disagreement about criticisms like this of Dalvin Cook as well.

Perhaps the comparison of ETN and Cook is an apt one though. There isn't a lot of wasted motion from him and he is so fast, honestly you need to watch him as half speed to be able to track the subtle change of direction he has thats not easy to see watching full speed, similar to Darrell Henderson.

I recall watching Harris a few weeks back and being impressed with his spin move that he demonstrated several times in clips I watched. To me that was a new tool in his belt I hadn't seen much from him before.

ETN has a spin move too and it is much faster and smoother than Harris when he does it. Not even close. He has great balance and control in his execution of that.

The spread offense that Clemson runs doesnt do ETN any favors in my opinion. The delayed hand offs and zone reads are often setting ETN up for failure. One play from the 2020 ND game stands out to me as it being a dead play then Lawrence just gives it to ETN for him to get hammered instead. 

I believe he said that was his celling or something like that, along with Kamara. I don't think any of us know exactly how they will perform.  It's just an evaluation of film.

There are flaws in ETN’s game but that’s true of any RB. Barry didn’t push the pile, would make negative plays looking to break the big run. Emmit didn’t have long speed. Henry doesn’t do anything in the passing game. I think it’s more important to look at what they do well and how they can win at the next level because there’s almost no such thing as a perfect player who can do everything.

There are flaws in ETN’s game but that’s true of any RB. Barry didn’t push the pile, would make negative plays looking to break the big run. Emmit didn’t have long speed. Henry doesn’t do anything in the passing game. I think it’s more important to look at what they do well and how they can win at the next level because there’s almost no such thing as a perfect player who can do everything.
I think it is so hard to really know what these guys will do in the NFL.  It might be easier to see what they don't do well.

Users who are viewing this thread