What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (3 Viewers)

Georgia HC Kirby Smart said on Monday that he's hopeful junior RB D'Andre Swift (shoulder) will be able to play in Saturday's SEC Championship Game.

Swift (5'9/215) suffered the injury during the third quarter of this past weekend's win at Georgia Tech, leaving the game and not returning. What's interesting here is that following the game Smart sounded optimistic that the junior running back would be good to go for the matchup with LSU. While Swift hasn't been ruled out, there is a difference between saying that a player will be "fine" and saying that you're hopeful that he'll be able to play. Swift's status is arguably the biggest storyline heading into the SEC Championship Game.

SOURCE: Seth Emerson on Twitter

Dec 2, 2019, 1:01 PM ET

Georgia junior RB D'Andre Swift (shoulder) is expected to be able to play in Saturday's SEC Championship Game.

Swift (5'9/215) banged up his shoulder against Georgia Tech this past weekend, but has been able to practice -- albeit with soreness -- in the interim. Barring a setback down the stretch, the standout junior looks like he will try to give it a go upcoming. Swift rushed for 1,203 yards (6.2 YPC) and seven touchdowns across 12 games played during the regular season.

SOURCE: Anthony Dasher on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 10:44 AM ET

Georgia HC Kirby Smart said that junior RB D'Andre Swift (shoulder) will play in Saturday's SEC Championship Game showdown with LSU.

"He's done everything we've asked him to do (during the practice week)," Smart said. "I'm excited to see him play. I have the expectation that he'll play well." Swift (5'9/215) injured his shoulder in last weekend's win over Georgia Tech. The junior back rushed for 1,203 yards (6.2 YPC) and seven touchdowns while playing in the full 12-game slate for the regular season. UGA figures to need a strong effort out of the future NFL-er on Saturday if they are to keep pace with LSU's prolific offense.

Dec 6, 2019, 3:02 PM ET

Georgia junior RB D'Andre Swift (shoulder) rushed for 13 yards on two carries while catching three passes for 18 yards in Saturday's 37-10 loss to LSU in the SEC Championship Game.

Swift (5'9/215) came into the weekend nursing a banged up shoulder, but was able to play versus the Tigers. He just didn't do much when on the field. Without a big game out of the junior, Georgia's offense proved incredibly problematic throughout, failing to even crack the red zone until the third quarter. The Bulldogs still have a bowl game ahead of them -- a Sugar Bowl matchup against Baylor is in play -- but whether Swift actually plays in that game should be considered an open question, as he'll be eligible to declare for the draft (there's smoke around that possibility) and could potentially end up sitting if he wants to preserve a clean bill of health as he looks to land as a potential first-round pick in the spring.

Dec 7, 2019, 8:03 PM ET

Georgia junior RB D'Andre Swift said that his shoulder is "not 100 percent," but that he wants to play in the Allstate Sugar Bowl against Baylor anyway.

Officially, Swift is still considered questionable, but it sounds like he is doing everything possible to play despite the risk of injury hurting his draft stock. Swift mentioned that he would regret not trying to play. We'll see what Georgia's medical and coaching staff decide come Wednesday, but the 5-foot-9, 215-pound junior sounds like someone who doesn't want to miss what may be his last game with the Bulldogs. Swift is expected to be one of the top three RBs in the class, if he declares.

Dec 29, 2019, 11:20 AM ET

Kind of a shame we got to see Etienne and Dobbins in 1 game, and we have to wait for Swift against no RB of note.  

Georgia junior RB D'Andre Swift said that his shoulder is "not 100 percent," but that he wants to play in the Allstate Sugar Bowl against Baylor anyway.

Officially, Swift is still considered questionable, but it sounds like he is doing everything possible to play despite the risk of injury hurting his draft stock. Swift mentioned that he would regret not trying to play. We'll see what Georgia's medical and coaching staff decide come Wednesday, but the 5-foot-9, 215-pound junior sounds like someone who doesn't want to miss what may be his last game with the Bulldogs. Swift is expected to be one of the top three RBs in the class, if he declares.

Dec 29, 2019, 11:20 AM ET
One of these top RBs could pull a stunner and go back to college for another year.  I hope it doesn't happen, but since I don't own Swift in my devy leagues I would get a chuckle out of it.

Georgia RB D'Andre Swift has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Swift (5'9/215) finished his Georgia career in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, playing a bit role in the Bulldogs' win over Baylor due to a shoulder injury suffered in late November. Despite the injury, the Philadelphia native still rushed for 1,218 yards and seven touchdowns, averaging 6.2 yards per carry. Swift was also a credible option in the passing game, as he caught 24 passes for 216 yards and a touchdown. He's been projected to be a Day 1 draft pick by multiple draft analysts, including ESPN's Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. Given the projections it should come as no surprise that Swift has decided to turn pro.

SOURCE: D'Andre Swift on Twitter

Jan 3, 2020, 5:47 PM ET

Turned down Swift for A J Brown in a devy league.  Hmm...... maybe I will regret that.  It was a smart offer by this owner.  However, one that made me pause.   It is so hard sometimes deciding on players.  We are definitely influenced by recency bias and that is definitely the case with Brown.

Turned down Swift for A J Brown in a devy league.  Hmm...... maybe I will regret that.  It was a smart offer by this owner.  However, one that made me pause.   It is so hard sometimes deciding on players.  We are definitely influenced by recency bias and that is definitely the case with Brown.
I own AJ and would have a hard time doing that trade as well. Depends where Swift lands and I love AJ going forward. I don’t see how AJ disappoints unless injury or QB issues. He is too versatile to fail.

Can't fault you for that. AJ has had success at this level. I own Swift in my Devy league, but he still an unknown.  

Can't fault you for that. AJ has had success at this level. I own Swift in my Devy league, but he still an unknown.  
I wholeheartedly agree.  Brown has proven himself at the NFL level.  Swift is a complete unknown on where lands and if he can even transition to the NFL.  Additionally, I'd rather have a proven WR and be searching in future drafts for the RB as it's easier to find those that pan out.

hil

One of these top RBs could pull a stunner and go back to college for another year.  I hope it doesn't happen, but since I don't own Swift in my devy leagues I would get a chuckle out of it.
Obviously it could happen, and some may have legit reasons for doing so, but imo going back to school for additional punishment (and adding another year of age before your second NFL contract) is not a wise business decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously it could happen, and some may have legit reasons for doing so, but imo going back to school for additional punishment (and adding another year of age before your second NFL contract) is not a wise business decision.
I can see Etienne coming back.  I hope he doesn't.

I can see Etienne coming back.  I hope he doesn't.
Agreed and I too hopes he declares. I’ve said once before he’s the running back whom I can see deciding to return to school especially if they lose to LSU.

Tex

Agreed and I too hopes he declares. I’ve said once before he’s the running back whom I can see deciding to return to school especially if they lose to LSU.

Tex
I don’t think losing to LSU will have any effect on his decision.  After all he already has a national title.

I’d take Swift 3x over without hesitation.

Tex
Can you explain a bit as to why? I'm sincerely asking, as I have the 1.1 and am trying to evaluate Swift. This is a strong stance, so curious as to your reasoning. 

Can you explain a bit as to why? I'm sincerely asking, as I have the 1.1 and am trying to evaluate Swift. This is a strong stance, so curious as to your reasoning. 
Swift’s skillset is remarkable. He could be the most complete running back we’ve seen in a long time. He’s very talented and it doesn’t matter where he’s being drafted. Personally I’m hoping Pitt, KC, BAL, ATL or Indy drafts him. There’s no way I’d take any WR from last year or this year over Swift.

As I’ve mentioned before over the last several years the #1 RB has outperformed the #1 WR (rookie) by a wide margin over the course of their contract and it’s not even close. Now that the year has ended the #1 rookie RB was Jacob who finished as the #14 running back with 172.6 points. The #1 rookie WR was AJ Brown as the #10 WR with 165.1 points. This with Jacobs missing 3 of the last 4 game with injuries yet people constantly draft WR over RB even though the tide has turned. I know we’re talking about two different draft classes but the same rule applies. Jacobs at one point before the injury was ranked #6 in my Dynasty league.

2015 Gurley (188.4 points) he didn’t start until week 3 and sat out week 17 vs Amari Cooper (141.7 points)

2016 Zeke (294.4 points) vs Treadwell, Doctson, Coleman and Fuller (Doesn’t matter)

2017 Kamara (234.4) vs Corey Davis (36.5)

2018 Barkley (294.8) vs C. Ridley (143.8)

I use 3-5 window to evaluate the trend and Running backs dominate WRs at every turn. As much as I love Jeudy, Higgins, Lamb, and Ruggs recent history shows they’ll be outperformed by their running back rivals and I like this years WRs vs 2019 WRs. Swift, Etienne, Taylor and Dobbins are studs in their own right. IMHO Swift looks to be the next running back to carry that 200-250 torch.

Tex

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Swift’s skillset is remarkable. He could be the most complete running back we’ve seen in a long time.
I just hate hearing this every year.  It's not true.  A long time?  Come on.  You remember a guy named Barkley from only 2 years ago?  Barkley is the best to ever come out of college.  The production (rushing and pass catching), the size, the athleticism is all better than anyone.  Gurley before that, probably Adrian Peterson before that, maybe Reggie Bush.  Swift is absolutely close to the prospect that Barkley was, but come on.  The stretched out "we've seen in a long time" is just annoying.  Nobody, and I actually mean nobody, can measure up as a prospect to Barkley was.  

Swift has size concerns, load management concerns, route running concerns.  I love Swift as a prospect.  Undisputed #1 for me.  

Agree with the rest of your post though  :D

I just hate hearing this every year.  It's not true.  A long time?  Come on.  You remember a guy named Barkley from only 2 years ago?  Barkley is the best to ever come out of college.  The production (rushing and pass catching), the size, the athleticism is all better than anyone.  Gurley before that, probably Adrian Peterson before that, maybe Reggie Bush.  Swift is absolutely close to the prospect that Barkley was, but come on.  The stretched out "we've seen in a long time" is just annoying.  Nobody, and I actually mean nobody, can measure up as a prospect to Barkley was.  

Swift has size concerns, load management concerns, route running concerns.  I love Swift as a prospect.  Undisputed #1 for me.  

Agree with the rest of your post though  :D
I didn’t say Best, I didn’t say explosive, I didn’t say dynamic. I said complete. Swift doesn’t have size concerns, why because he’s 5’9? I’ve only seen one person say something negative about his route running which is comical considering we’re talking about a running back not a wide receiver. When has a running ever been critique about his route running....probably never. It’s normally if he can catch or not. That fact that Swift is being criticized for his route running just shows someone is reaching to find something to criticize him for. At the end of the day he can catch, run and I’d put him right next to Barkley. But I stand by what I said. IMHO he’s the most complete coming out of college. More complete than the one you mentioned.

Tex

5-foot-9, 215 pounds (Great size), only 3 drops out of 70+ catches....but we bring up his route running?!?!? Shall I continue?

Tex

I didn’t say Best, I didn’t say explosive, I didn’t say dynamic. I said complete. Swift doesn’t have size concerns, why because he’s 5’9? I’ve only seen one person say something negative about his route running which is comical considering we’re talking about a running back not a wide receiver. When has a running ever been critique about his route running....probably never. It’s normally if he can catch or not. That fact that Swift is being criticized for his route running just shows someone is reaching to find something to criticize him for. At the end of the day he can catch, run and I’d put him right next to Barkley. But I stand by what I said. IMHO he’s the most complete coming out of college. More complete than the one you mentioned.

Tex
Route running matters for anyone who catches passes.  TE's, WR's and yes it might be a shock to you, RB's as well.  Barkley, great route runner.  Or are you claiming Swift is better at that? 

You thinking he's more of a "complete" player than Barkley is just comical.  I'll leave it there.  

Tex
It sounds like you’re describing Melvin Gordon.

That writer completely forgot about Devin Singletary. 
That doesn’t stop teams from drafting rbs.  Also, it’s not like Singletary is a world beater.  Remember Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams?  Hill and Bernard?  I’m sure there are several teams willing to have a 1a and 1b.

Route running matters for anyone who catches passes.  TE's, WR's and yes it might be a shock to you, RB's as well.  Barkley, great route runner.  Or are you claiming Swift is better at that? 

You thinking he's more of a "complete" player than Barkley is just comical.  I'll leave it there.  
Yes, I am and he is. Comparing both while in college. Barkley is not “complete” but I’d say McCafrrey is more complete a LT, Marshall Faulk type of complete. Barkley is the most talented, strong like a bull, works hard a three down monster but that doesn’t make him “complete” guess I’ll leave it there.

Tex

ESPN's Todd McShay writes that Georgia RB D'Andre Swift "dances a little too much sometimes and gets into trouble."

Count this as a relatively minor critique of Swift, as the tendency to dance a bit much is one which we see out of a fair number of backs. McShay gushes poetic about much of the rest of the UGA standout's game, noting that the 5-foot-9, 215-pounder is "well-built with good strength, and if he gets going, he can be a real problem for opponents." The analyst additionally calls Swift's playing style "all about explosion." Swift dances (see what we did there?) onto McShay's big board as his No. 15 prospect for April's draft.

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Jan 30, 2020, 6:16 PM ET

Watch his Florida game and tell me that doesn't concern you.  It was recently uploaded, after I already kind of made up my mind about him.  Now it puts some worry into my eval.  

ETA:  Still some good things in that video, like the last play of the video.  There was something that he did that I absolutely love seeing from prospects.  You'll know it when you see it. 

Zyphros said:
Watch his Florida game and tell me that doesn't concern you.  It was recently uploaded, after I already kind of made up my mind about him.  Now it puts some worry into my eval.  

ETA:  Still some good things in that video, like the last play of the video.  There was something that he did that I absolutely love seeing from prospects.  You'll know it when you see it. 
I watched a ~6-minute video of the Florida game and I didn't see anything particularly concerning.  :shrug:

Yesterday I listened to the Destination Devy podcast and Ray's guest was Curtis Patrick.  He said his 1.01 is Jonathan Taylor.  I disagree with him, but each to their own flavor.

The only back in this draft that is landing spot proof is Swift.  At worst, he'll be used like Kamara. 
Of course I hate how the Saints use Kamara. He has like 3 carries inside the 10

Why is that?  Do the Bills feel that way?
Bills do not feel that way. Everyone I know in Buffalo thinks he looks really good. Bills are not spending a high pick on a RB. Definitely not a first. Would be beyond shocked if that happened

I watched a ~6-minute video of the Florida game and I didn't see anything particularly concerning.  :shrug:
Literally the 1st play on that clip is a bad vision read.... 

at 0:21 he gets thrown around easily off his route

at 0:32 he makes a better read but it's pretty late and only gets a few yards.  Maybe that was the goal though, be patient and get the 1st.  I'll let it slide.

at 0:42 bad blocking, stopped in his tracks

at 0 :51 bad blitz pickup, but maybe it was suppose to just be a chip

at 1:01 I expect a few yards rather than 1 yard if he speeds up his read

at 1:12 he slows his feet down after he runs into linemen, for only 1 yard

really good blitz pickup at 1:22

and that's just the first minute and a half.  There are a lot of just meh plays that I expect a special player to do better on and get a few rather than 1 yard.  

I'm officially moving him out of my Tier1 list, and into Tier2.  He isn't a special player.  Very good, very solid, but not generational.  

The more I dive into Swift, the less I actually like about him.  He is not a favorite of mine anymore.  

Literally the 1st play on that clip is a bad vision read.... 

at 0:21 he gets thrown around easily off his route

at 0:32 he makes a better read but it's pretty late and only gets a few yards.  Maybe that was the goal though, be patient and get the 1st.  I'll let it slide.

at 0:42 bad blocking, stopped in his tracks

at 0 :51 bad blitz pickup, but maybe it was suppose to just be a chip

at 1:01 I expect a few yards rather than 1 yard if he speeds up his read

at 1:12 he slows his feet down after he runs into linemen, for only 1 yard

really good blitz pickup at 1:22

and that's just the first minute and a half.  There are a lot of just meh plays that I expect a special player to do better on and get a few rather than 1 yard.  

I'm officially moving him out of my Tier1 list, and into Tier2.  He isn't a special player.  Very good, very solid, but not generational.  

The more I dive into Swift, the less I actually like about him.  He is not a favorite of mine anymore.  
I'll have to watch it again with those things in mind, but my first impression was that Florida was bottling him up.

Users who are viewing this thread