What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (7 Viewers)

official 4.39....
I thought of this. Not 4.3 so not quite what you said but you'd have won the bet I proposed. I offered.

I'd also add his stock his up. I really thought he'd be more in the 4.45 range. Sub 4.4 is one of those difference making speeds that teams can't ignore.

I said hed run in the 4.3s, he did. 

But, regardless, it was a good day for JT, Swift, Akers. JT is still 3rd for me of those guys due to ppr and 3 down ability 

I had Taylor in the 4.45 range so today helped,  but fast guy running a little faster then I thought moves the needle a little, not a lot and not enough to move my top 5 RB  rankings.

IMoss was 6th and the official 4.65 helped but he still is sagging off the mark and what was a Big 6 RB's is now a big 5. 

But that also means nothing really because if one goes to say the Chiefs and one goes to say the Lions I'm not going to act like that does not matter. I still have Taylor at #5 but need to see Dobbins perform at his pro day and perform reasonably well or he'll drop to 5 if not out of the big 5. I still have Swift clearly as number one and would take likely take a vast difference in landing spot for him vs another one of these RB's to not have him remain in that spot.

I'm not trying to make a hot take. If I was grading these RB's just on rushing ability Taylor would likely be #1. I said something similar earlier in this thread but I'm the kind of guy who struggles to warm up to Derrick Henry types. Taylor might pull a Fournette and surprise me on what he offers as an everydown back, but right now he remains at #5, Swift at #1 but again I don't plant a flag because landing spot matters.

Rotoworld:

Georgia RB D'Andre Swift ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Swift (5'8/212) didn't blow the doors off the 40-yard dash, but was plenty respectable, tying for sixth-best among testing running backs. The Georgia standout might be the most well-rounded player in the position group and ranks almost uniformly as either RB1 or RB2 on various evaluators' boards. Whether Swift is able to land as a Day 1 selection is an open question -- it wouldn't stun if no backs are drafted in the first round, at all -- but should he be forced to wait until Day 2, he's not going to be waiting around for too long.

SOURCE: PFF on Twitter

Feb 28, 2020, 8:30 PM ET

After today, IMO, there should be little debate on Swift vs Taylor. I think it's obvious between those 2 Swift is the 1.01. Akers... that's another story. He is shooting up my board like a rocket. 
No two people seem to agree on any RBs this season, what is it about Swift that makes him head and shoulders above of Taylor (and everyone else) after these athletic results?

I think if you came into today preferring one of the top few guys, nothing happened to dissuade you from that opinion.  And there's nothing wrong with that, but I chuckle every time I see that something appears obvious.

I had Taylor in the 4.45 range so today helped,  but fast guy running a little faster then I thought moves the needle a little, not a lot and not enough to move my top 5 RB  rankings.

IMoss was 6th and the official 4.65 helped but he still is sagging off the mark and what was a Big 6 RB's is now a big 5. 

But that also means nothing really because if one goes to say the Chiefs and one goes to say the Lions I'm not going to act like that does not matter. I still have Taylor at #5 but need to see Dobbins perform at his pro day and perform reasonably well or he'll drop to 5 if not out of the big 5. I still have Swift clearly as number one and would take likely take a vast difference in landing spot for him vs another one of these RB's to not have him remain in that spot.

I'm not trying to make a hot take. If I was grading these RB's just on rushing ability Taylor would likely be #1. I said something similar earlier in this thread but I'm the kind of guy who struggles to warm up to Derrick Henry types. Taylor might pull a Fournette and surprise me on what he offers as an everydown back, but right now he remains at #5, Swift at #1 but again I don't plant a flag because landing spot matters.
Taylor is not a bad receiver.  they never used him as a receiver his first couple years.  Last year he was involved more and ran quite a few longer routes making good catches.

Swift looks bigger than them as well. I have zero concerns about Swift. I'd be happy to draft him 1.01 or 1.02
I am wondering why all the draftniks are down. You were right about Taylor, too. I remembered that when I saw what he ran.

Depends where Swift lands. I have 1.01 in my new league. We'll see...

I figured Taylor would show well and climb above Swift. Swift would do what people expected but wouldnt wow. 

Taylor is fast. He showed he could catch the ball, sure, but I still see him average and Swift better than him at it. Itll be a debate we will have until April, with Taylor being the consensus 1.01. I dont understand the hate on Swift, but at this point I'll take him 1.02... I think he is the more destination proof of the 2. 
I liked Swift just from highlights alone. It seemed to me that Taylor found a lot of backs of his OL in the stuff I watched of him. Hardly scientific, but that's how the decision might get made. 

CEH is nowhere near the tier of Taylor/Swift/Dobbins/Akers for me.  

I'm also going to be putting a lot of stock in what the NFL thinks in terms of draft capital and landing spot here, as all four of these guys are fantastic prospects. 

Taylor is leading the pack for sure IMO, but let's see draft capital and go from there. 

Not that Swift didnt have a good OL/good team, but WI has had a long history of stellar OL, and it could be one reason why weve seen WI RBs fail in the NFL. Gordon was good, not great. White found a nitch. Other than that you've got Ball, Bennett, Dayne... all great WI RBs who were massive busts. 
Gordon was an elite fantasy asset though....

He isn't even in the same stratosphere as a prospect as Taylor is.  And Gordon is a stud in the NFL who got top 10 draft capital. 

I don't think Taylor goes as high in the draft as Gordon did, but he's a far better prospect IMO. 

Not that Swift didnt have a good OL/good team, but WI has had a long history of stellar OL, and it could be one reason why weve seen WI RBs fail in the NFL. Gordon was good, not great. White found a nitch. Other than that you've got Ball, Bennett, Dayne... all great WI RBs who were massive busts. 
ron dayne won me an ffl title......so....

He isn't even in the same stratosphere as a prospect as Taylor is.  And Gordon is a stud in the NFL who got top 10 draft capital. 

I don't think Taylor goes as high in the draft as Gordon did, but he's a far better prospect IMO. 

Gordon went 15th, still quite high of course but for accuracy sake not top 10.

Don't share your opinion he was not in same stratosphere as a prospect at Taylor. Think it's debatable and would go team by team scout by scout who they prefer. More equal then different stratosphere's.

And while Gordon has at times been a fantasy stud he's been more solid then a stud in real life. His career average YPC is 4, only went over 4 once. What's made him a fantasy stud since his rookie year was averaging 4.2 receptions and close .87 TD's a game giving him a solid base of 9.4 fantasy points on average before factoring in yardage.

If you like a good player comp Jeremiah has been touting DeAngelo Williams as a Swift comp for a few weeks and tweeted this out last night(spoiler, they are almost identical) https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1233585170386767872/photo/1
Matt Waldman also comped Swift to Williams

are his rankings behind a paywall? I had read.someone heard a rumor that Waldman had Swift outside his top 5 RBs
He hasn’t released his RSP yet but this was off a podcast where he said it. And he either said Swift was his #5 or outside his 5. Can’t remember exactly 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like his breakdown of film for RBs but I'm not fond of his rankings... Not that we need to beat this dead horse again
He’s great on RBs and a free thinker. He’s one of the few people who I can say is 100% independent. Everyone gets things wrong sometimes. Take the best, leave the rest

menobrown said:
If you like a good player comp Jeremiah has been touting DeAngelo Williams as a Swift comp for a few weeks and tweeted this out last night(spoiler, they are almost identical) https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1233585170386767872/photo/1
This link links back to your post. Would have liked to see that.

Got to watch more highlights and runs by Swift and am coming to my original conclusion that I just like how he moves the best of all the backs in the draft. Taylor's stats and experience and combine are killing me, though. What more does Taylor need to do?

I guess he needs to look like Swift. 

That all said, does Swift's 5'8" 1/4 scare anybody just a little? Like you wouldn't be more comfortable at a true 5'9" or even a little taller?

It looked like he was carrying a little too much extra weight at the combine, though he looked absolutely ripped in his arms at the forty. I could, however, see a coach asking him to cut ten and then using him in a DeAngelo Williams role, something you certainly wouldn't really want out of the 1.01-1.04.

Least I'm just spitballing here. 

That all said, does Swift's 5'8" 1/4 scare anybody just a little? Like you wouldn't be more comfortable at a true 5'9" or even a little taller?

It looked like he was carrying a little too much extra weight at the combine, though he looked absolutely ripped in his arms at the forty. I could, however, see a coach asking him to cut ten and then using him in a DeAngelo Williams role, something you certainly wouldn't really want out of the 1.01-1.04.

It does give me slight concern, the same way it does with CEH and McFarland as potential workhorse guys.  But he's still built well at 212 and comes very close to the average of a top30 fantasy RB (weight wise) over the last 3 years.  CEH, McFarland and Swift, all kind of shared the backfield in college.  If he were a true 5'9 it would make it a lot easier for sure.  That's usually the minimum I like my RB's, which is why I have Akers jumping ahead of Swift in my rankings.  On the other hand Swift is such a good RB prospect that he should be drafted a good ~20 picks before CEH or McFarland in the NFL draft.  Closer to Taylor/Akers I would imagine.  If that's not the case, I think Swift moves down closer to mid 1st territory rather than early 1st.  

The real debate for me is Taylor vs Akers at 1.01 and I really just don't know which way I lean.  The fantasy community as a whole prefers Taylor (mostly) and I understand why.  I love Akers' game but he doesn't carry the same value Taylor seems to (yes already I know).  

No it does not scare or concern me.

It's hard for me to say he was carrying to much weight because he ran well.

I think DeAngelo Williams was used in that role just because that's how that team liked to utilize their RB's, not that he was unable to be more of a bell cow. They made a concentrated effort and used premium draft capital to obtain two RB's.

Granted a case can be made I'm using game samples and he could not have done this for an entire season but at an advanced age of 31 he basically won me a dynasty championship in 2015 after I picked him in the last round of the startup as a backwards substitute for Gurley since Bell was suspended and I thought Gurley would not be ready who I had taken in round one. That year DWILl started 10 games, averaged 17.3 carries and 3.3 receptions per start. Again 10 games not quite a full 16 but he was also 31. He then followed up the next season when Bell was out two games getting 29 carries and 5 catches a game the first two weeks. Very long winded way of saying I don't think DWILL was handicapped as a feature back because of his size, just the teams gameplan.

It's hard for me to say he was carrying to much weight because he ran well.
Sorry I edited your post so much (mouse sort of got away from me) but I take your points and agree with the quoted box here. I was being really, really nitpicky about weight. It's just a bad nightmarish scenario where I could ostensibly see a coach asking him to cut ten like you'd ask a wrestler or boxer to cut ten and then using him in a non-every down role, which would be awful for his stock.

I guess I really have him first among backs, I'm just waiting on the NFL Draft and free agency and everything, so I don't know if I'll draft him yet or where I'll be able to.  

CEH, McFarland and Swift, all kind of shared the backfield in college.
PFF dropped him sixth and then promptly admitted that they missed Jacobs by their formula and that one of the reasons was the timeshare backfield Jacobs had, much like Swift. I mean, if you're gonna compare the two like PFF did, you might as well go out on the limb...

DeAngelo Williams for some weird reason split time with Jonathan Stewart. I still don't get why the Panthers did that.
*sighs*

There were two years he really didn't. He averaged 1,300 yards those years.

But that's neither here nor there. What's concerning is that a team takes Swift and wants to get him into an SF timeshare of some sort. 

It does give me slight concern, the same way it does with CEH and McFarland as potential workhorse guys.  But he's still built well at 212 and comes very close to the average of a top30 fantasy RB (weight wise) over the last 3 years.  CEH, McFarland and Swift, all kind of shared the backfield in college.  If he were a true 5'9 it would make it a lot easier for sure.  That's usually the minimum I like my RB's, which is why I have Akers jumping ahead of Swift in my rankings.  On the other hand Swift is such a good RB prospect that he should be drafted a good ~20 picks before CEH or McFarland in the NFL draft.  Closer to Taylor/Akers I would imagine.  If that's not the case, I think Swift moves down closer to mid 1st territory rather than early 1st.  

The real debate for me is Taylor vs Akers at 1.01 and I really just don't know which way I lean.  The fantasy community as a whole prefers Taylor (mostly) and I understand why.  I love Akers' game but he doesn't carry the same value Taylor seems to (yes already I know).  
I think you'll be able to measure the difference in where Swift is drafted in the NFL vs McFarland in rounds, not picks.I respect you going outside the box and being so high on him,  I got a firm top 8 RB's right now and working down the list but McFarland for sure not in that top 8 but again respect you going against the grain.

I don't think it's accurate to just say CEH shared the backfield in college. He did some years, he did not last year. McFarland always was in a timeshare.

I know the fantasy community is a buzz with Taylor but I believe the actual NFL community is still higher on Swift. Granted it's a community I'm not privy to but just trying to glean information from people who used to work in the league or have legit connections they are continuing to say things such as Swift is still likely the top RB chosen or only one who merits round one consideration. Question is if that comes to fruition and we Swift carry higher draft capital will that sway the fantasy community? Not sure, I think so with landing spot playing a role(I think Ravens in late round one would be awesome for Taylor myself), but for sure right now in redrafts at least Taylor has jumped the pack for most of fantasy community.

*sighs*

There were two years he really didn't. He averaged 1,300 yards those years.

But that's neither here nor there. What's concerning is that a team takes Swift and wants to get him into an SF timeshare of some sort. 
Not sure what the sigh is for. Three two years he didn't he split time with a still spry DeShaun Foster.

A time share is problematic for any back. I'm not sure it's relevant to project that on Swift just because he compares to a guy that was in one.

A time share is problematic for any back. I'm not sure it's relevant to project that on Swift just because he compares to a guy that was in one.
It's relevant, but not completely determinative. What I can say is this: When they put you in a time share purely because of situation, it's one thing. It's another when they put you there because of preconceived notions of your physical attributes. It's the NFL that worries me with Swift, and Williams was the comp upthread that spurred it. I think they took Stewart a year after Williams ran about 150 times while averaging five a carry, so it would seem to point not to a situation he walked into, but concerns about his own talent, size, and durability. At least that's how I'd see it. 

It's relevant, but not completely determinative. What I can say is this: When they put you in a time share purely because of situation, it's one thing. It's another when they put you there because of preconceived notions of your physical attributes. It's the NFL that worries me with Swift, and Williams was the comp upthread that spurred it. I think they took Stewart a year after Williams ran about 150 times while averaging five a carry, so it would seem to point not to a situation he walked into, but concerns about his own talent, size, and durability. At least that's how I'd see it. 
I get what you're saying now.

Jonathan Stewart was very good when he was young and healthy.
Yes but was a luxury pick, IMO.

Thought it was interesting that @NextGenStats didn't even have Swift in their top 5 after the combine. Anyone else so low on him?  Or know why their methods would have him so low? 

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Georgia RB D'Andre Swift to free agent RB Frank Gore.

Swift (5'8/212) was excellent in his three years with the Bulldogs, and is considered one of the top tailbacks in this class. Zierlein's biggest concern is ball security; noting that his fumbles-per-touch are well-below NFL standards. The positives outweigh the negatives, however. "Swift possesses the play traits and running style of a skillful NFL veteran and is the latest in an avalanche of talented Georgia backs," Zierlein writes. There's at least a chance he's the first running back off the board -- although we'd bet that honor goes to Wisconsin's Jonathan Taylor -- but if he's not, he won't have to wait too long to hear his name called late on Day 1 or early on Day 2.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 15, 2020, 11:11 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread