What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (9 Viewers)

Would you prefer him over Taylor in PPR?
I'm not a college aficionado, so all I get are highlights and my opinion needs to be taken with grains of salt. That said, there's something to be said for Taylor's accomplishments and combine. They're stellar. Freakish. But boy does Swift ever pass an eye test. I'd go with Swift, but what do I know? 

I also have the 1.01. Looking at the landscape and my team, I might try and trade down for two firsts. That might also be an implication that Swift isn't Barkley or Elliott coming out of colllege. He's more Josh Jacobs - measurables aren't crazy off-the-charts and production was shared in college -- than those two.  

I'm not a college aficionado, so all I get are highlights and my opinion needs to be taken with grains of salt. That said, there's something to be said for Taylor's accomplishments and combine. They're stellar. Freakish. But boy does Swift ever pass an eye test. I'd go with Swift, but what do I know? 

I also have the 1.01. Looking at the landscape and my team, I might try and trade down for two firsts. That might also be an implication that Swift isn't Barkley or Elliott coming out of colllege. He's more Josh Jacobs - measurables aren't crazy off-the-charts and production was shared in college -- than those two.  
I agree about the level of prospects at the top and have been trying to trade down or out as well.  I am not overly concerned as we have a lot of time, but I have gone back and forth for the past month on who is my 1.01 (Swift/Taylor).

I have the 1.1 and 1.2 in a PPR and 1.1 and 1.4 in a non-PPR.

What also drives me crazy is considering the top WRs since their careers are longer.

I'll probably split the difference in PPR and go RB/WR with landing spot deciding who's who.

Waldman is awesome. 

Everyone is wrong, a lot.  Waldman gives you a fresh perspective that is an entirely different data point from the regular circle jerk. 

He thinks about a lot of things in interesting and thought provoking ways, and I love his thought process.  He's nuanced and thorough. 

I try to stay away from that one or two players a year he's on an island loving, but I always want Matt Waldmans perspective.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Waldman breaks down Swift.  35 minute session. 

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/06/21/matt-waldmans-rsp-film-room-no-148-rb-dandre-swift-georgia/

This is why he's fully legit. Check this move out.

https://youtu.be/49sL6iLGAqM?t=479
Did anybody else look at "the move" in the 2nd link above and think, "Uhhhh yeah, that whole play was an illegal block in the back."  The "move" that Swift made would have gotten him killed and lost yardage--he wouldn't have made anyone miss on that play without the illegal block.

With that said, it's one play.  I haven't seen Swift a ton, so he's probably a good one.  It's just that that one play did not make me think so.

In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. mocked Georgia RB D'Andre Swift to the Miami Dolphins at pick No. 18.

Swift (5'8/212) is the only running back to land on Day 1 in Kiper's mock. Not only that, but Kiper pushes him into the top-20 in this thought exercise. The Georgia standout is not a lock for Round 1 -- and certainly not a lock for the top 20 -- but ranks as RB1 for many evaluators thanks to his sweet combination of patience and explosiveness. 

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Mar 25, 2020, 1:05 PM ET

ESPN's Matt Bowen wrote that Georgia RB D'Andre Swift fits today's NFL well due to his ability as a receiver out of the backfield. 

"Swift's pro impact jumps even more because of his receiving traits," Bowen wrote. "He shows the sudden ability to change direction and the immediate burst to separate from coverage when put in an NFL scheme that features the running back in the pass game." Swift (5'8/212) has been projected to be a first round pick by some draft analysts, including ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., but he plays a position where a Day 1 projection is anything but a lock. Bowen compared the Bulldog to another former SEC standout, Saints RB Alvin Kamara. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Apr 7, 2020, 6:33 PM ET

He doesn't quite have Kamara's speed, it seems. Kamara is longer and leaner. Swift reminds me of a faster, more balanced, chop-stepping DeVonta Freeman in body type. 

I comp Swift to Brian Westbrook.  Same height, Swift is a little heavier with slightly better top end speed.  They both have a patient, darting running style with good receiving ability. He is my favorite back this year.  I expect him to be a PPR monster with likes of McCaffrey, Barkley, Kamara, Le'Veon.

Last year this time a heated debate was had over Darrell Henderson and his size meani g he can't be a work horse in the NFL

Even though Swift was only 4 pounds heavier, and tested the same in many things as Henderson, that debate isn't happening for Swift... why?
It is with me and I guarantee it is with coaching staffs in the NFL.

Last year this time a heated debate was had over Darrell Henderson and his size meani g he can't be a work horse in the NFL

Even though Swift was only 4 pounds heavier, and tested the same in many things as Henderson, that debate isn't happening for Swift... why?
He’s 212 pounds and at 5’8” that doesn’t seem small to me. It’s actually very compact. But then again I wasn’t one who though Henderson was too small either.

I think it's pretty solid too. Guy looked like a beast at the combine. 

He does have a history of minor injuries though. I have this feeling hes going to always be hurt in the NFL... and then I have a feeling following that he will be one of those backs that is hurt in college then goes on to have a fairly injury free nfl career.

idk what to think anymore.... I've over-thought these RBs and now none of them are the right choice. 
I'm trying to trade down and throw darts. Yeeha!

He does have a history of minor injuries though. I have this feeling hes going to always be hurt in the NFL... and then I have a feeling following that he will be one of those backs that is hurt in college then goes on to have a fairly injury free nfl career.

idk what to think anymore.... I've over-thought these RBs and now none of them are the right choice. 
You have 1.01? Go with CeeDee or Jeudy and just go WR down the board. Have fun with it.

I think you could pick apart almost any prospect if you really wanted to - and even "can't miss" guys miss. The best you can do is gather all the analytics, watch them play, see who drafts them and when and make your choices when OTC. There's no need to work yourself into paralysis by over analysis.

That's what I do, I can thank my father for that trait. 

I'm antsy for the draft because that will work things out for me a lot. TB and IND are my two spots that whomever ends up there likely are my top 2 backs
IND is gonna draft a back with Mack and Hines and Wilkins and Williams there? Huh. Quite possibly, but doesn't seem like a glaring need.

That's what I do, I can thank my father for that trait. 

I'm antsy for the draft because that will work things out for me a lot. TB and IND are my two spots that whomever ends up there likely are my top 2 backs
The draft couldn't come fast enough!

Tex

100% how I feel. I have two picks in the top 8 but the draft will play a huge role in who I end up targeting. The problem nowadays is that there is just too much information available. You can literally find a way to counter-argue anything. This is why I will probably use the draft and eyeball test as my biggest factors this year. 

He doesn't quite have Kamara's speed, it seems.
FWIW and I understand play speed may not always match up to game speed but Swift ran a 4.48 combine 40 and Kamara ran a 4.57.

Kamara, who I love, is actually not quite the big play performer I think we sometimes think him to be. Has only 11 carries in his career over 20 yards, 3 of which went for 40 plus. Kamara to me is someone often viewed as a homerun hitter but really he's out there slapping doubles all day.

My feelings on the top RB's have barely moved a needle. But were I expect to have my mind blown is where they land. It's kind of a unique year in that a lot of attractive spots have competition right now but it's with RB's on last year of deals and these spots could be awesome in 2021. Probably forgetting a few but Colts, Steelers, Falcons, Chiefs and Arizona come to mind. All potentially great RB spots, all with fairly decent RB's on contracts that don't go into 2021.  Will be a lot to process post NFL draft.

FWIW and I understand play speed may not always match up to game speed but Swift ran a 4.48 combine 40 and Kamara ran a 4.57.

Kamara, who I love, is actually not quite the big play performer I think we sometimes think him to be. Has only 11 carries in his career over 20 yards, 3 of which went for 40 plus. Kamara to me is someone often viewed as a homerun hitter but really he's out there slapping doubles all day.
Thank you. I've been saying this but didn't actually have the numbers to back it up.

Thank you. I've been saying this but didn't actually have the numbers to back it up.

Actually you are the one who got me to look it up when you referenced it a few weeks ago. Made me curious and was not what I expected, not how I seemed to remember his first few years.

Actually you are the one who got me to look it up when you referenced it a few weeks ago. Made me curious and was not what I expected, not how I seemed to remember his first few years.
He is my one and only keeper in my big redraft auction league. I swear he never gets big gains. Consistently hits doubles like you say.

Oh, please spare me the edit.

Hwarf. Kamara and CEH. My God, you're not going to let that go. CEH slides further down both draft and fantasy ladders, BTW. 

Oh, please spare me the edit.

Hwarf. Kamara and CEH. My God, you're not going to let that go. CEH slides further down both draft and fantasy ladders, BTW. 
Whoa. Chill. That's completely uncalled for and had nothing to do with our CEH debate. I was simply clarifying my data I provided on Kamara and in doing so noticed he and CEH ran slow fairly slow 40's and both had verticals of 39. Was editing a post and not even directing it at you but someone sure can't let it go and it's not me. 

I think I'm done with you.

Whoa. Chill. That's completely uncalled for and had nothing to do with our CEH debate. I was simply clarifying my data I provided on Kamara and in doing so noticed he and CEH ran slow fairly slow 40's and both had verticals of 39. Was editing a post and not even directing it at you but someone sure can't let it go and it's not me. 

I think I'm done with you.
Oh, dude, I said it with a smile on my face. No need to think I'm playing dirty. I almost never do that anymore. 

According to Pro Football Focus, Georgia RB D'Andre Swift ranked 49th in missed tackles per attempt.

PFF speculates that Swift's (5'8/212) lack of elusiveness could pose problems at the next level. In addition to his sub-par 0.20 missed tackles per rushing attempt, he also recorded just 0.16 missed tackles per reception which ranked 73rd in the country. Swift isn't particularly big and though he posted a 4.48 40-yard dash time at the combine, he isn't a home run hitting back either. He is known as a cerebral, all-purpose back who reads blocks well and changes direction fluidly and should immediately step in as the starter for whichever team selects him. Swift is on the Day1-Day 2 borderline and will challenge Jonathan Taylor to be the first RB selected.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 17, 2020, 12:28 PM ET

Swift will be the first back off of the board and it's going to be up to those holding 1.01 whether they believe the scouts or college forecasting. Even BackCAST, Football Outsiders's projection arm, admitted that Swift and Taylor were up for debate among pro scouts and that they could be missing something.

If you want to know how I feel about production and stat forecasting, think Tebow and his excellent numbers in Florida. 

I just dont see KC as the dream destination as mostly everyone else seems to
I think we mentioned this before, actually. Tampa, too. My personal preference is to have the top backs go there. I think people would be surprised what Reid would do with another Kareem Hunt-esque back. And we know what Arians' backs are capable of.

I also don't see Ronald Jones II or Damien Williams as anything but competition to be easily brushed off; Jordan Howard, while some will argue he's just another guy, is poised to take carries away and did in Philly before last year's injury. 

I like Tampa a lot. And Miami, Indy, even ATL
Oh. Dr. Dan didn't, IIRC. Sigmund Bloom was not sold on Tampa. But I think Tampa, Indy, and ATL are all good places but Marlon Mack in Indy is still way too competent for my liking. Freeman is cooked in ATL and they don't have much so he'd get touches but their other backs are ceding touches and one was horribly concussed last year. So...we'll see.

rockaction said:
Oh. Dr. Dan didn't, IIRC. Sigmund Bloom was not sold on Tampa. But I think Tampa, Indy, and ATL are all good places but Marlon Mack in Indy is still way too competent for my liking. Freeman is cooked in ATL and they don't have much so he'd get touches but their other backs are ceding touches and one was horribly concussed last year. So...we'll see.
They signed this other guy too, in case you forgot.  Not saying it’s not a good long term landing spot, but it’s a terrible destination short term.

They signed this other guy too, in case you forgot.  Not saying it’s not a good long term landing spot, but it’s a terrible destination short term.
Oh ####. I totally forgot. I did. Gurley signed for a year. I was thinking long-term, but you're right. Mea culpa. 

Lions selected Georgia RB D'Andre Swift with the No. 35 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

The Lions' already-crowded backfield just added another capable back. Swift (5’8/212) averaged 7.8 yards per touch behind Nick Chubb and Sony Michel as a true freshmen at Georgia, then rushed for over 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns in each of his last two seasons as the team's starter. His combination of vision, patience, and 63rd-percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism made him an efficient runner as he averaged 6.6 YPC on 440 career totes. Per Pro Football Focus, he also led his class in rate of 10-plus yard gains (20%) in his final year. The Bulldogs catered to Swift's strength as a receiver, moving him all over the formation (including out wide) to assure him space to work. PFF charged him with only three dropped targets across 73 career receptions (and 9.1 yards per catch). His versatile skill set ultimately plays in any offense, making him another Georgia runner expected to produce immediately at the next level. Expect a committee of sorts between Swift and Kerryon Johnson.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 24, 2020, 7:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread