What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (10 Viewers)

Here is my concern. He barely sees the field and you draw up that play for him? Give him more reps so he is in a rhythm and gets a "feel" for the game. 

It was a bad drop. No doubt about it. But I  just feel like it was an odd situation. 
Or, you could say that he's already the RB they trust to get the team TDs, from what they've seen in practices. He catches that ball and he's got RB1 type numbers on a very limited amount of touches on the day. Kerryon is going to be phased out quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this whole “you can’t throw a rookie out there in that situation” is silly.  He’s a professional now.  And one whom by all accounts had proven a very high skill level in the receiving game in camp and has clearly been designated as their 3rd down and hurry up RB.  I’m guessing he makes that catch 95% or more of the time.  That was a perfect play and a perfect throw.  He simply took his eyes off the ball as he was looking to the end zone.  

Its a concerning play for Swift’s long term mental makeup, but everything I’ve read about him is that he works his ### off.  I think he’ll be fine, but what a complete 180 from what could’ve been.  Brutal way to start your career.

I am not at all concerned about Swift.  He made a costly mistake.  Perhaps it was nerves.  Perhaps he was thinking too much instead of just playing naturally.  In any event, we know who Swift is.  He is a tremendous receiving back.  This drop was clearly out of character for him.  This is a learning process.  Rookies are prone to making mistakes.  Had Swift dropped the ball in the middle of the field at any other point in the game, it would barely have been noticed.  Matthew Stafford and the Lions' coaching staff are highly unlikely to have lost any confidence in Swift.  In fact, they will be eager to get him back out there to prove what he is truly capable of.

I am not at all concerned about Swift.  He made a costly mistake.  Perhaps it was nerves.  Perhaps he was thinking too much instead of just playing naturally.  In any event, we know who Swift is.  He is a tremendous receiving back.  This drop was clearly out of character for him.  This is a learning process.  Rookies are prone to making mistakes.  Had Swift dropped the ball in the middle of the field at any other point in the game, it would barely have been noticed.  Matthew Stafford and the Lions' coaching staff are highly unlikely to have lost any confidence in Swift.  In fact, they will be eager to get him back out there to prove what he is truly capable of.
I'm not concerned either (not a Swift owner), but he needs to not let this get to him mentally.  I'm sure other players in the past have not get over such things and develop the yips.  Kind of like Chuck Knoblauch or Steve Sax in baseball.  At this moment I can't think of any WRs that had the yips.  Only Troy Williamson comes to mind, but he didn't have the talent of Swift.

Yeah, I don’t go to the rookie with a ####ed up off season and only a handful of nfl snaps with the game on the line. 
There are other guys on the field running routes.  He was open so Stafford threw it to him.

FWIW, TY Hilton and Zach Ertz both had game ending drops as well.  Not quite as bad because they weren't in the endzone but they were both on 4th down on the last drive, with Hilton's coming in the redzone.

D'Andre Swift rushed five times for 12 yards and caught 5-of-5 targets for 60 yards in the Lions' Week 2 loss to the Packers.

Kerryon Johnson started the game and split most ground work with Adrian Peterson, allowing Swift to handle most of the passing-down snaps. It's the most important role for fantasy purposes, but Swift has a ways to go before confidently starting. Peterson and Johnson would be goal-line vultures even if Swift's role grows in the next few weeks. It's best to take a wait-and-see approach with Swift until his snap counts climb. Hopefully that happens in a winnable matchup against the fast-paced Arizona Cardinals.

Sep 20, 2020, 4:47 PM ET

Typical loser Lions. They should have cut bait with his guy before the sun went down in the D Sunday. You have to send a message to the team that dropping game winning 4th quarter TDs is never acceptable. 
Wow, should we be looking for Julio Jones to be released?

I was pretty happy with Swift's bounce back this week.....only a matter of time before they phase out AP and I think he is much better than KJ.....definite buy low for late season/keeper/dynasty leagues

I was pretty happy with Swift's bounce back this week.....only a matter of time before they phase out AP and I think he is much better than KJ.....definite buy low for late season/keeper/dynasty leagues
I agree he is likely to eventually emerge as the top RB in Detroit, and his stock is sure to go up.  I doubt anyone is selling low in dynasty, however.

Never underestimate the stupidity of a Patricia. Nearly as dumb as a Gase but twice the size. He will continue to trot out Kerryon and Peterson just because; maybe even at the same time so the defense won't know which one will plow ahead for two yards.

Fortunately Swift will have his role as the pass catcher. Although in my opinion his upside is capped this year, he should maintain value in dynasty with his 4 or 5 grabs a game- that's ball grabs. Patricia is certainly gone after this year perhaps taking his stupidity with him. The hope: the next coach is not stupid thus providing better days for Swift. The fear: stupidity is a funk which hangs around the organization attaching itself to every person who may enter; in which case Swift has already been infected.

Never underestimate the stupidity of a Patricia. Nearly as dumb as a Gase but twice the size. He will continue to trot out Kerryon and Peterson just because; maybe even at the same time so the defense won't know which one will plow ahead for two yards.

Fortunately Swift will have his role as the pass catcher. Although in my opinion his upside is capped this year, he should maintain value in dynasty with his 4 or 5 grabs a game - ball grabs, that is. Patricia is certainly gone after this year perhaps taking his stupidity with him. The hope: the next coach is not stupid thus providing better days for Swift. The fear: stupidity is a funk which hangs around the organization attaching itself to every person who may enter; in which case Swift has already been infected.
As a Jets fan I know this too well......Gore got more carries yesterday than Bell did in just about every game last yr....mind boggling how some of these guys became head coaches

As a Jets fan I know this too well......Gore got more carries yesterday than Bell did in just about every game last yr....mind boggling how some of these guys became head coaches
Thousands of football coaches in the U.S. and these are supposed to be the best 32 out of them? Yeah, ok.

Fortunately Swift will have his role as the pass catcher. Although in my opinion his upside is capped this year, he should maintain value in dynasty with his 4 or 5 grabs a game- that's ball grabs. Patricia is certainly gone after this year perhaps taking his stupidity with him. The hope: the next coach is not stupid thus providing better days for Swift. The fear: stupidity is a funk which hangs around the organization attaching itself to every person who may enter; in which case Swift has already been infected.
Lol. Always need to put on the "Lions hyperbolic homer filter" when reading about their players.

Peterson is averaging 6.4 ypc this year. That's why Patricia keeps trotting him out there.

Lol. Always need to put on the "Lions hyperbolic homer filter" when reading about their players.

Peterson is averaging 6.4 ypc this year. That's why Patricia keeps trotting him out there.
It's so dumb that it works. The defenders are thinking 'it's got to be play action, nobody is dumb enough to hand it to him'. Their naivity bites them, they don't spend enough time in Detroit

woof!

5 snaps. looks like he got benched... 

got the first snap to start the 2nd half and... didn't realize he was the blitz safety valve and the ball hit him in the back between the numbers. hate to see those sorts of mental errors from a talented back.

strong said:
woof!

5 snaps. looks like he got benched... 

got the first snap to start the 2nd half and... didn't realize he was the blitz safety valve and the ball hit him in the back between the numbers. hate to see those sorts of mental errors from a talented back.
its not looking good for this year....hopefully new coaching staff will realize his potential and give him some run....

its not looking good for this year....hopefully new coaching staff will realize his potential and give him some run....

i was bummed when they pulled out the W. the sooner they're out of the playoffs, the sooner patricia gets the axe.

but... seeing him make a play like that makes me wonder if he's legit missing some assignments in practice, too.

i was bummed when they pulled out the W. the sooner they're out of the playoffs, the sooner patricia gets the axe.

but... seeing him make a play like that makes me wonder if he's legit missing some assignments in practice, too.
He is probably making some rookie mistakes and Patricia thinks hes Belichick so puts him in doghouse....problem with the situation is Patricia is coaching for his job and has no interest in developing a rookie until being ordered to or fired....much safer for him to go with a pro like AP....problem is it sets back the franchise as a whole as they are not a super bowl contender and wont be able to evaluate Swift properly without work....so looking like a wasted yr.  

Droppable in redraft...

...based on what his offensive coordinator, Darrell Bevell, said Tuesday, it looks as though [Peterson] might end up being the lead back for the club for the immediate future as well.

"I don't know when it's going to happen, but he wants [the ball], we want him to have it and we'll just keep continuing to go there and spell him with Kerryon, spell him with Swift and kind of go from there."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30004483/detroit-lions-roll-veteran-adrian-peterson-lead-running-back

lol this is why the lions will always suck, feeding AP like he is 24 years old. Good luck with that! all game scripts this year won't be like this past Sunday. Lions will be getting blown out this year often

Yes it's so Lions to use two high seconds on RB's and then bring in AP, fresh from getting cut by the WFT, a little more then a week before the season and make him the feature back.

They turned Swift into Theo Riddick and all I hear is he's a mismatch in the passing game, as if he did not just run for b2b 1,000 yard seasons in the SEC at 6.6 per.

Honestly at this point I'd just as well they ran the wheels of AP, spell him with Kerryon and maybe at least put Swift in position to be fresh and impactful later in the season because I'd rather have a few weeks of that then a season of Theo Riddick 2.0.

Peterson's at 4.9 YPC for the year (43/209). He's looked good.
He's looked ok to me but is still one dimensional and is not consistently picking up yardage and to both my eye and one could say stats is already looking like he's wearing down from overuse

56% of his runs have gone for 2 yards or less. I just think that's a tough way to keep drives sustained.

He's got 62% of his rushing production on 6 runs and yes those runs count and I'm not big on "throwing out" runs or plays but 4 of those runs came in week one, one in week two and one in week 3 which was his first carry. 

Good news, bad news for Swift owners to hang onto.

Good news for those, like me, who view Swift similar to Kamara.

Kamara's first 3 games vs Swifts.

Kamara: 9 carries, 10 receptions, 7.8 fantasy points a game.

Swift: 8 carries, 9 receptions, 8.8 fantasy points a game.

Bad news for Swift in redraft:

Kamara caught a bunch of passes in week 4 of his rookie year but his takeout really started taking place when the Saints got rid of Peterson and turned it from a 3 man RBBC to a 2 man RBBC.

The lesson. Bevell is not Sean Payton but I'd not overreact, might not work out this year, but I'd strongly recommend long term patience.

He's looked ok to me but is still one dimensional and is not consistently picking up yardage and to both my eye and one could say stats is already looking like he's wearing down from overuse

56% of his runs have gone for 2 yards or less. I just think that's a tough way to keep drives sustained.

He's got 62% of his rushing production on 6 runs and yes those runs count and I'm not big on "throwing out" runs or plays but 4 of those runs came in week one, one in week two and one in week 3 which was his first carry. 
The OC thinks he's looked great and practically just guaranteed him more touches. That's all that matters for the rest of us.

The OC thinks he's looked great and practically just guaranteed him more touches. That's all that matters for the rest of us.
Yup. I wonder if he ever uses that pencil?

FWIW I agree with menobrown that Peterson looks like a slower version of himself. I saw his spin move to get free for one of his highlight runs and it seemed like it took for ever to complete his rotation. 

He is still Adrian Peterson but that spin move took him twice as long as I remember it being executed before.

AP was brought in to be the bigger back to get that 3rd and one or the tough goal line carries but AP knows the schemes and pass protection assignments already.

From the local guys that cover the team it seems that Swift has not learned the whole playbook very well as of yet, ran some wrong routes, and missed blocking assignments when is pass protection, plus the huge dropped pas that cost the Lions a win.

That is why the off season camps are so important for rookies in this league.  Swift will be OK but it might not be until later in the season or maybe next season.

AP was brought in to be the bigger back to get that 3rd and one or the tough goal line carries but AP knows the schemes and pass protection assignments already.

From the local guys that cover the team it seems that Swift has not learned the whole playbook very well as of yet, ran some wrong routes, and missed blocking assignments when is pass protection, plus the huge dropped pas that cost the Lions a win.

That is why the off season camps are so important for rookies in this league.  Swift will be OK but it might not be until later in the season or maybe next season.
This all makes sense. Swift really had no training camp, certainly compared to many of the other rookie RBs.

Lions OC Darrell Bevell said D'Andre Swift will continue to “spell” Adrian Peterson.

It confirms Swift is a change-up to Peterson and Kerryon Johnson. Swift has a 29% snap share and is averaging 2.5 YPC through three weeks. At least for now, Detroit looks intent on Peterson as their workhorse back.

SOURCE: ESPN

Sep 30, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

D'Andre Swift rushed four times for 22 yards and caught all four of his targets for 30 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 4 loss to the Saints.

Swift got the scoring started with a seven-yard touchdown grab on the Lions' opening drive. Despite the dropped touchdown in Week 1, Swift has proven to be a very capable pass catcher, and that's how the Lions are using him as a rookie with Adrian Peterson handling the bulk of the rushing work. Peterson paced the Lions with 11 carries in this one, scoring a short touchdown on the ground. Kerryon Johnson appeared to get injured along the sideline late in this one. If Johnson misses time, it could open a couple more touches for Swift. We still really need to see him getting about a dozen weekly touches before considering Swift for fantasy lineups. The Lions have a Week 5 bye.

- Rotoworld

Yeah. You might actually think that they would want him more involved. Weird. 
Why would an NFL team with Adrian Peterson ever want to get a top 35 pick like Swift more involved in their offense?  Clearly the Lions are Super Bowl contenders and AP is the horse they’re going to ride on the way there.  

Users who are viewing this thread