Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

RB D’Andre Swift, DET


Faust

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Adrian Peterson is a FA, for what that is worth. Says he wants to play for the Bucs.

Right - he's probably not even in the consideration for Campbell/Lynn/Staley. So the comment about needing another guy probably speaks to a lack of faith in Kerryon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

bump swift. He's going to get a ton of work on an awful Lions team....

This is from the Kenny Golladay thread, and I just wanted to respond here about this. In 14-team non-PPR mocks the last months he went from 5.01 to 4.11 average ADP. If the Lions don't add an alpha WR1 (they only have Tyrell Williams, Geronimo Allison [i think], Quintez Cephus, and Hock under contract), you have to give Swift a one round bump especially in PPR.

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love Swift, been hyping up every chance I get. But I think a window to buy him lower then his current cost is going to present itself later so I'd hold off right now if you are trying to get him.

My reason for the buy low is the Lions have said a few times they are searching for a complement to Swift. I believe this is a bigger priority for them then people might be thinking right now and that complement might be someone halfway decently valued. I If/when that happens, that's when I'd come and and get some Swift I'm thinking at less then he'll cost you today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

What menobrown is talking about is possible I suppose but if the price is late 4th round so somewhere in the 40s I like that price because I think Swift can outperform it.

I think his price is more in the first round neighborhood. I know his current FFPC startup ADP is 1.7. I'm in my 4th redraft of the year and farthest he made it was 2.7.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

What menobrown is talking about is possible I suppose but if the price is late 4th round so somewhere in the 40s I like that price because I think Swift can outperform it.

I can't see him dropping that far unless Detroit drafts one of the top 3 backs, which really would be loco. I just took him at 2.01 and was happy about it. If he gets cheaper I still can't see him getting out of the early 3rd at worst.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

I can't see him dropping that far unless Detroit drafts one of the top 3 backs, which really would be loco. I just took him at 2.01 and was happy about it. If he gets cheaper I still can't see him getting out of the early 3rd at worst.

That is more what I would expect to pay for him and I think he is still worth it.

Top of the 2nd is bullish but that might work out too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

I think his price is more in the first round neighborhood. I know his current FFPC startup ADP is 1.7. I'm in my 4th redraft of the year and farthest he made it was 2.7.

Yeah real drafts pretty different then what Frankman has seen in mocks I guess.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thoughts on the addition of Jamaal Williams?

Seems like he puts a slight dent into Swift's value. Williams is a solid RB and will probably get some passing game work, but I view him having more of a backup/complementary role. Think it says more about Kerryon Johnson as the backup.

 

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Thoughts on the addition of Jamaal Williams?

Seems like he puts a slight dent into Swift's value. Williams is a solid RB and will probably get some passing game work, but I view him having more of a backup/complementary role. Think it says more about Kerryon Johnson as the backup.

 

Yes, JW seems like more of a threat to KJ than anything. A better handcuff to Swift also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Thoughts on the addition of Jamaal Williams?

Seems like he puts a slight dent into Swift's value. Williams is a solid RB and will probably get some passing game work, but I view him having more of a backup/complementary role. Think it says more about Kerryon Johnson as the backup.

 

Is Williams really any better than Johnson? Looking at that contract, I don't think this puts any dent into Swift's value at all. Swift was never going to be a back that got 80% of a team's RB touches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Is Williams really any better than Johnson? Looking at that contract, I don't think this puts any dent into Swift's value at all. Swift was never going to be a back that got 80% of a team's RB touches.

I don't see him play a lot, but seems like Johnson lost a lot of his explosiveness after his ACL injury. Williams is a guy who seems to fit Campbell's mold - great blocker, hard nosed, good locker room guy. Skill wise, it seems like he's more workmanlike than anything, as he was the proclaimed starter to begin the season a few years ago before Jones passed him by. And of course, it's probably easier to produce with Rodgers at QB and behind that line than he'll be experiencing with Detroit.

Edited by zamboni
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a very big fan of Williams, this is an excellent signing for the Lions...if Swift is the RB many think he is this will not have a big effect on him as Williams will be a compliment like he was in GB with the ability to be the #1 for a period of time if Swift gets dinged up.

Edited by Boston
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't expect Swift to be a 350 touch RB anyway, so a good 2nd rb was expected. The only bummer is Williams is a pretty good receiver and pass blocker. I could see that dampening Swift's chances at a really high target volume. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2021 at 12:24 PM, menobrown said:

My reason for the buy low is the Lions have said a few times they are searching for a complement to Swift. I believe this is a bigger priority for them then people might be thinking right now and that complement might be someone halfway decently valued. I If/when that happens, that's when I'd come and and get some Swift I'm thinking at less then he'll cost you today.

As I was trying to say but Williams probably did not move the needle much, maybe just a tad cheaper.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Anthony Lynn is talking up Jamaal Williams as the lead back in Detroit. If any team could find a way to ruin top tier talent, it's the Lions (Sanders, Megatron, Stafford, etc). Is this a real fantasy risk, or just offseason BS? Lynn called Williams "A 3-down back, the kind you don't have to take off the field". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Anthony Lynn is talking up Jamaal Williams as the lead back in Detroit. If any team could find a way to ruin top tier talent, it's the Lions (Sanders, Megatron, Stafford, etc). Is this a real fantasy risk, or just offseason BS? Lynn called Williams "A 3-down back, the kind you don't have to take off the field". 

🤮 for people that roster Swift. That can't possibly be right, can it? This was always my worry with Swift. Well, there were two things. One was that some coaches would see his size and think "no way is he a lead back." The other issue was the fact that he's not this particular set of coaches' guys. He's just not. No amount of convincing coaches matters when they're set on bringing in guys that they like.

This worries me about talking Javonte Williams in my rookie draft. There's a slight chance the organization restructures in the FO in Denver after this year. Or that Fangio is gone and the coach coming in has a different preference. Though I don't really know who I would have taken instead of Williams at five. But this gives me a different feeling than the sick feeling in my stomach every time I think about passing on Smith for a WR last year. And not an immediate producer at WR or one likely to really produce meaningfully, anyway. I was really kicking myself for that. If Lynn does this, not so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Anthony Lynn is talking up Jamaal Williams as the lead back in Detroit. If any team could find a way to ruin top tier talent, it's the Lions (Sanders, Megatron, Stafford, etc). Is this a real fantasy risk, or just offseason BS? Lynn called Williams "A 3-down back, the kind you don't have to take off the field". 

I don't think he meant him as the lead back........just that he can do everything.  The "A" back and "B" back designations were more about style of play than RB1 vs RB2

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gally said:

I don't think he meant him as the lead back........just that he can do everything.  The "A" back and "B" back designations were more about style of play than RB1 vs RB2

“Jamaal is what I’d call a classic ‘A’ back,” Lynn said. “I like to break the backs down into A and B. My ‘A’ backs are normally my bigger backs. They can run between the tackles, block probably a little better than a ‘B’ back, they can also run the perimeter. I can leave those guys in there for all three downs."

Ooooof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's see what Lynn really does, though. I know coaches want to keep things open and foster competition, but some of the Robinson/Etienne and now this just seems a bit incredible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

“Jamaal is what I’d call a classic ‘A’ back,” Lynn said. “I like to break the backs down into A and B. My ‘A’ backs are normally my bigger backs. They can run between the tackles, block probably a little better than a ‘B’ back, they can also run the perimeter. I can leave those guys in there for all three downs."

Ooooof.

I still don't see that as being the lead back as far as number of touches.  It seems more like a description of a style of RB............and it's the off season so snippets get dissected especially when it seems to go against the narrative people are expecting.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although "....block probably a little better than...." is the most concerning part of his statement IMO. If that's the case, which of the backs is on the field on passing downs more often than not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jayded said:

Although "....block probably a little better than...." is the most concerning part of his statement IMO. If that's the case, which of the backs is on the field on passing downs more often than not?

Blocking better doesn't mean the other guy can't block.  That will be more dependent upon if Swift can block or not.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As posted in the Jamaal Williams thread:

Chris Burke(Lions beat writer-The Athletic)

@ChrisBurkeNFL

To clarify here ... "A" and "B" is just how Anthony Lynn describes his backs' skill sets -- "A" is more between the tackles; "B" is "speed in space. It wasn't an RB1 and RB2 designation for Williams and Swift. The Lions love Swift. He's going to be a focal point of the offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I wonder if a good comp here is how Lynn used Gordon and Ekeler when both available, after Ekeler broke out. Ekeler averaged about 6 carries and 7 targets a week once Gordon came back in 2019. With lesser backs to compete with, Ekeler averaged about 13 carries and 7 targets over the last 2 years. The latter usage is pretty much exactly how I want Swift used.

Let's hope Lynn sees Jamaal as something closer to a Josh Kelley A back than a 2019 Melvin Gordon A back.

Edited by jtd13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man if this keeps pushing his ADP down. Of course Jamaal Williams is going to get the ball and yes he has a 3 down skill set. It's a good thing. Swift is going to eat. Swift is already a value IMO but by all means I hope drafters push him even farther down. Because Jamaal Williams is going to be the starter. Uh huh. Coach was obviously referring to skill sets not snap shares. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, menobrown said:

As posted in the Jamaal Williams thread:

Chris Burke(Lions beat writer-The Athletic)

@ChrisBurkeNFL

To clarify here ... "A" and "B" is just how Anthony Lynn describes his backs' skill sets -- "A" is more between the tackles; "B" is "speed in space. It wasn't an RB1 and RB2 designation for Williams and Swift. The Lions love Swift. He's going to be a focal point of the offense.

Yep, I am sure Ekeler was a B back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think maybe there could be some game play here from Lynn.  He is a Parcells guy,  so he does play with the media a bit.  Shame he is not good at it though.  Could be he's unhappy with something about Swift.  Maybe not working on his blocking enough or something.  Lynn is a huge pusher on the idea of guys working hard on their blocks.  So,  maybe talking up his backup he could be trying to push Swift.  

Just pure speculation on my part,  but as a Charger fan I read a lot of these types of comments from him.  And he does like his vets...especially if they work hard on the little things. Last year getting him to complement Herbert was like extracting teeth for some reason,  and I could never figure it out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

PFF just came out today with their list of Top 32 RBs for 2021. D’Andre Swift was not on it.

If only I'd seen that list before my fantasy drafts so I could have taken Mark Ingram instead. Damn.

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of people are underestimating Swift, despite what Anthony Lynn says.  I see a rookie who averaged 4.6 ypc, had 46 catches, and 10 TDs in a 160 touches. I'd be surprised if his touch count does not exceed 225 (good health and all that).  I'm expecting him to breakout similar to how DeAngelo Williams did in his third season (with fewer rushes and more receptions).

:biased:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hu-Tang Clan said:

How would you rank Swift, Najee, ETN and Javonte for say the next 3 years?

Great question and a tough one. I have no idea. So there's food for thought. Javonte, for me, is the only one I roster and I've still got him last among those backs, who all have receiving chops and coaches determined to use them in that way. If forced, I'd go

Najee
Swift
Etienne
Williams

The only reason I don't have Etienne at the top here is because I don't know if Urban Meyer is seriously delirious or not.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

According to PFF, Swift doesn't rank in the top 32.  

That's laughable, lol. Especially if you think the Lions are going to be bad. He's going to catch a million passes.

 

Deandre Swift Rookie Year (2nd Rounder)

114 rushes / 521 yards / 8 Touchdowns & 46 receptions / 357 yards / 2 Touchdowns

 

 

Aren't we supposed to get excited about rookie RB who score double-digit touchdowns and catch 46 passes? Don't we usually forecast these players productions to produce. No clue why he's not viewed as perennial 60 catch guy going forward with room for his YPC & volume to increase. Definitely a little Jamaal Charles going on here.

Edited by Shaq90
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shaq90 said:

That's laughable, lol. Especially if you think the Lions are going to be bad. He's going to catch a million passes.

 

Deandre Swift Rookie Year (1st Rounder)

114 rushes / 521 yards / 8 Touchdowns & 46 receptions / 357 yards / 2 Touchdowns

 

 

Aren't we supposed to get excited about rookie RB who score double-digit touchdowns and catch 46 passes? Don't we usually forecast these players productions to produce. No clue why he's not viewed as perennial 60 catch guy going forward with room for his YPC & volume to increase. Definitely a little Jamaal Charles going on here.

Not to mention he did not play in all the games and was not the starter for most the season.  It is ridiculous and shows incompetence.  No more AP to compete with, instead they have Jamaal Williams which will compliment him in an offense which will most definitely emphasize the run.  A RB who could easily project to 1500 total yards and not even worthy of a mention.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shaq90 said:

Deandre Swift Rookie Year (2nd Rounder)

114 rushes / 521 yards / 8 Touchdowns & 46 receptions / 357 yards / 2 Touchdowns (13 games)

Meanwhile his counterpart:

 

Antonio Gibson Rookie Year (3rd Rounder)

170 / 795 yards / 11 Touchdowns & 36 receptions / 247 yards / 0 Touchdowns (14 games)

 

 

Per game breakdown:

Swift: 9 carries per game / 40 rushing yards per game & 3.5 catches / 27 receiving yards (0.76 Touchdowns per game)
Gibson: 12 carries per game / 56 rushing yards per game & 2.5 catches / 18 receiving yards (0.78 Touchdowns per game)


I see Gibson universally touted as this elite prospect. Swift is right there and I think his receiving upside gives him Top 5 RB potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Joe Bryant changed the title to RB D’Andre Swift, DET

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...