What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (7 Viewers)

I’m out of my title chase, but would love to see Swift get some run in the final weeks. He’s really fun to watch.

And kudos to Campbell for not just deciding to shut him down when he could have easily done so without much criticism at all.

I’m out of my title chase, but would love to see Swift get some run in the final weeks. He’s really fun to watch.

And kudos to Campbell for not just deciding to shut him down when he could have easily done so without much criticism at all.
They are trying to teach these guys to never give up. Regardless of who is hurt/out, if they play complimentary football, they can hang with anyone. Talent wise they’re near the bottom - we’ve played like 10 cornerbacks & the WR room is the worst. They don’t care, and they don’t care who they’re playing. They play hard. You’ve never seen a 2-11-1 locker room that is more upbeat and positive.

That’s why I said upthread they would not shut Swift down. Would look like hypocritical frauds if they did. They would rather have these kids learn how to close out games than protect draft position. Who cares if we draft 3rd or 5th or 7th, it’s more important to get the right guy anyway. They drafted a guy this year who could be their OT for 12-15 years at #7.

If you’re going to change a losing culture it’s going to look different. It takes everyone buying into that plan. They’ve never gotten it right. 60+ years, through different executives and coaches and players. But they’ve never had a GM like Brad Holmes or a HC like Dan Campbell.

Lions fans are the biggest cynics in the NFL but people are starting to believe this big, goofy cornball (MCDC aka The Real Ted Lasso) just might be the answer. I don’t think there’s a more fun team to root for right now. I watch those clips of him giving speeches and I wanna go punch somebody for no reason.

:lol:

Swift usual role, Reynolds in the Williams role is the obvious answer so you can find out if you want to cut Williams and save a couple bucks this spring. Also I did make a semi and need that to happen so let’s do it.

Reynolds has shown well. Let him and Williams fight it out for mostly running inside and use Swift as pass catcher and mostly on the outside. My sense is that Swift will not hold up to high volume use that includes lots of running inside.

Reynolds has shown well. Let him and Williams fight it out for mostly running inside and use Swift as pass catcher and mostly on the outside. My sense is that Swift will not hold up to high volume use that includes lots of running inside.
I own Swift & Reynolds (have never used Craig but don’t want him on the WW.) I might just roll with Javonte as my RB2 and Pollard as the Flex.

Bur if Cooks doesn’t test out that’s one less boom/bust player. If we get good reports from practice this week I might tempted to use D’Andre. He can do a lot with low volume and Atlanta’s defense is dog ####.

I own Swift & Reynolds (have never used Craig but don’t want him on the WW.) I might just roll with Javonte as my RB2 and Pollard as the Flex.

Bur if Cooks doesn’t test out that’s one less boom/bust player. If we get good reports from practice this week I might tempted to use D’Andre. He can do a lot with low volume and Atlanta’s defense is dog ####.
Puts me in a pickle

Swift/Reynolds

Ekeler/Jackson

Mixon/Perine

Yes I've been hording handcuffs, and it might finally pay off

Puts me in a pickle

Swift/Reynolds

Ekeler/Jackson

Mixon/Perine

Yes I've been hording handcuffs, and it might finally pay off

Mixon seems like he'll be a go. With Detroit's uncertain QB status you maybe could roll with both Ekeler and Jackson?

Such a weird couple weeks. Last week with the fewest Sunday touchdowns in decades, and this week with the revolving door on the Reserve/COVID list.

Thing about Detroit....there is always the possibility they carry 3 RBs instead of 4. Really depends how things shake out at other position groups and the COVID list. Unlikely but if they did carry 3, then Reynolds is probably the odd man out because Igwebuike is a special teamer (none of the other four backs are.) But if they carry four then maybe it shakes out like @Moonlight speculated above.

If you Flex Swift I think it should only be if you're a dog and need upside. There are probably safer options if you are the favorite and are looking for the best floor.

D'Andre Swift (shoulder) remained "limited" for Thursday's practice. 

Two limited practices do not a return guarantee, but Swift is definitely on the right track after not playing since Week 12. In some ways it seems counterintuitive to bring Swift back for three ultimately meaningless games, but the Lions are playing their best football right now, and with Jared Goff (COVID-19) beginning to look doubtful for Sunday, they are going to need all the help they can get vs. Atlanta. We would install Swift on the RB2/FLEX borderline if he suits up. Neither Jamaal Williams nor Craig Reynolds would be trustworthy RB3s.  

Dec 23, 2021, 7:04 PM ET

Limited in practice today. Couple beat writers noted he did not participate in a ball security drill during the observable portion of practice (usually 15-20 minutes.)

Campbell wasn’t available to the media as the 3 coordinators had pressers along with a few players. A Lynn said Swift’s getting increased reps but didn’t say anything definitive about him being active or his role.

Every reason to think Goff won’t test out and Boyle will start in Atlanta, so probably best to avoid Detroit players this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Limited in practice today. Couple beat writers noted he did not participate in a ball security drill during the observable portion of practice (usually 15-20 minutes.)

Campbell wasn’t available to the media as the 3 coordinators had pressers along with a few players. A Lynn said Swift’s getting increased reps but didn’t say anything definitive about him being active or his role.

Every reason to think Goff won’t test out and Boyle will start in Atlanta, so probably best to avoid Detroit players this week.
Anything on J. Williams? Reynolds?

Anything on J. Williams? Reynolds?
Just that they’re glad to have Jamaal back.

It’s crazy to think Reynolds could be put back on the shelf. Second most rushing yards in first 2 G in lclub history (Billy Sims.) Ridiculous stuff here:

Lions Craig Reynolds Weeks 14-15
• 88.3 Offensive PFF Grade (1st along RBs)
• 171 Yards After Contact (1st)
• 10 Missed Tackles Forced (1st)
• 4 10+ Yard Runs (4th)
• 3 15+ Yard Runs (2nd)
• 78 Breakaway Yards (3rd)
• 9 Runs for 1st Down (2nd)
• 115.5 Elusive Rating (6th)

But that’s life as a replacement level player. Stars don’t usually lose their role bc of injury. I *think* they roll with 3 RBs Sunday and #46 is inactive.

We’ll see how it plays out. As tuned in as I am to the Lions, at least half my predictions are still wrong. 

Nothing direct from the team but beat writer Dave Birkett (Free Press) seems dubious they’ll be leaning on Swift today. Goff did not test out AFAIK. Best to avoid all Detroit players.

IMO

Inactive

Lions declared RB D’Andre Swift (shoulder), OLB Julian Okwara, LB Josh Woods, RB Jermar Jefferson, and S Jalen Elliott inactive for Week 16 against the Falcons.

Swift looked like he had a real chance to play but will now be targeting a Week 17 return when the Lions face the Seahawks. The Lions will now form a committee around Craig Reynolds, Jamaal Williams, and Godwin Igwebuike. Reynold and Williams are in play as RB2 fill-in options.

Dan Campbell says Swift should be ready to go this week, and ‘we will shut him down after week 18’.  Said Swift wanted to go last week.  Mentions ‘cutting him loose’.  

HArd to trust him this week
Depends on your alternatives.  It’s either he or D’onta Foreman for me, in a PPR league.  I don’t like Foreman vs the Dolphins, who are giving up the least points to RB’s since week 10.  I’d imagine he will get the same usage as early in the season, where he saw around 8-12 carries and 4-6 catches.  Maybe a tad less than that, but he produces consistently enough.  Other option is Burkhead, so again, depends on who you’ve got.  

Jaamal Williams got all the touches last week..... Why wouldnt Swift if he's healthy and the coaching wants to unleash him? Im rolling him out in the championship over Zeke ... Swift has major upside 

Depends on your alternatives.  It’s either he or D’onta Foreman for me, in a PPR league.  I don’t like Foreman vs the Dolphins, who are giving up the least points to RB’s since week 10.  I’d imagine he will get the same usage as early in the season, where he saw around 8-12 carries and 4-6 catches.  Maybe a tad less than that, but he produces consistently enough.  Other option is Burkhead, so again, depends on who you’ve got.  
Through 10 G he was 5th in touches and YFS, 1st in Targets & Receptions, 2nd in Receiving Yards, at al.

Seattle has the second worst run defense in the league. Check the game logs of the quality RBs they have faced. Have literally not been able to stop anyone all year.

O line is playing outstanding. Team is playing hard. HC loves to run the ball. The player has been chomping at the bit to get back in the field; they wanted to be sure he was fully healed and ready for contact.

”There’s room for growth there. He’s going to grow from playing in these last two games, and he’ll be a better player for it next year.” - DC 12/29/2021

Man this is a tough one. Hes just back from injury and Williams is still around.

Good match up on Seattle.

But I am leaning against him this week. Ogunbowale looks like he will be fed against the Pats.

Actually now when i type it Im leaning Swift again. AAAAAAAAAAA

Man this is a tough one. Hes just back from injury and Williams is still around.

Do you think this limits Swift?

1. RB4
  2. RB20
  3. RB5
  4. RB36
  5. RB10
  6. RB16
  7. RB1
  8. RB31 Williams out 
  9. bye
  10. RB16 Williams out - Swift has career high 33 carries
  11. RB3
  12. Swift injured (Thanksgiving)
Swift had his 7th best game from a fantasy perspective when he was given 36 touches. He had his 10th best game in the other game Jamaal did not play.

Excluding the two games Williams was out and the Thanksgiving game (during which Swift was hurt), the snap counts have been:

• Swift 372
  • Williams 180
Touches in those 8 G (Weeks 1-7 + Week 10)

• Swift 140 (17.5)
  • Williams 92 (11.5)
FF points (PPR)

• Swift 159.9 (19.99)
  • Williams 70.2 (8.78)
Swift has been much more efficient when Williams is around to take around a third of the snaps and nearly 40% of the touches. FWIW, 19.99 PPF would be good for RB4 overall, behind only Henry, Taylor and Ekeler.

Now...if you want to not roll with Swift because it's his first game back, that's a judgement call. I've done that before. Hasn't always worked out. I remember this year a lot of people sat Cook in that TNF game Week 14. This past weekend, a lot of people didn't trust AJ Brown his first game back. Those two are one end of the spectrum, there are probably just as many examples of it being the prudent play.

GL to everyone who made it to the Championship Game.

D'Andre Swift will play in Week 17. 

Swift returned to full practices this week and should serve as the Lions' primary back against the Seahawks. Even if Swift can't produce on the ground against Seattle, the excellent pass catcher could take full advantage of a Seahawks defense allowing a league-high 110 running back receptions through Week 16. The hope is Tim Boyle -- who will start with Jared Goff (knee) out -- checks down to Swift in what should be negative game script. 

SOURCE: Eric Woodyard on Twitter 

Dec 31, 2021, 11:33 AM ET

Week 17 RB Snap Counts

D’Andre Swift: 36 (57%) 
Jamaal Williams: 20 (32%)
Craig Reynolds: 14 (22%) — 19 special teams snaps (59%)
Godwin Igwebuike: 0 (0%) — 19 (59%)

Utilization

Swift - 6 touches, only 1 of which came before the Lions were down 3 scores     
Williams  - 11 carries and 3 receptions    
Netflix - 4 carries 1 reception 

Sorry if anyone was as guilable as me and started Swift. What a dud.

Week 17 RB Snap Counts

D’Andre Swift: 36 (57%) 
Jamaal Williams: 20 (32%)
Craig Reynolds: 14 (22%) — 19 special teams snaps (59%)
Godwin Igwebuike: 0 (0%) — 19 (59%)

Utilization

Swift - 6 touches, only 1 of which came before the Lions were down 3 scores     
Williams  - 11 carries and 3 receptions    
Netflix - 4 carries 1 reception 

Sorry if anyone was as guilable as me and started Swift. What a dud.
Very surprised to see the snap count that high considering the utilization figure. Clearly he was used a lot as a decoy to make the defense focus on him.

I'd love to draft him next year, no doubt. But he's missed games in both years so it feels inevitable he will miss a few. He is basically Ekeler with his role and production at times 

It's good to know however that the backup in Detroit will most likely have standalone and starter value is swift goes down, not sure if will be Jamaal though.

I'd love to draft him next year, no doubt. But he's missed games in both years so it feels inevitable he will miss a few. He is basically Ekeler with his role and production at times 

It's good to know however that the backup in Detroit will most likely have standalone and starter value is swift goes down, not sure if will be Jamaal though.
Yes and the fact that their other RBs have also done well makes one think about things like that.

Once the team gets more talent on offense it should open things up a little for Swift. It seems like he is a lightning rod for the defense every time he is on the field.

Once the team gets more talent on offense it should open things up a little for Swift. It seems like he is a lightning rod for the defense every time he is on the field.
Also seems like contrary to Campbell’s comments about unleashing  Swift, he didn’t want to risk him too much in the last few games.

The Detroit Free Press reports D'Andre Swift "looks bigger" this summer, and that one of his offseason goals was to add "bulk."

"Keep the shift and the burst, but add some muscle in order to take some of those NFL hits that kept him out of (games the past two seasons)," is how beat writer Tony Garcia described Swift's offseason goal. RBs coach Deuce Staley is hoping for fewer missed games from the third-year back this season. "Injuries happen, but one of the things Swift and I had a conversation about is you’ve got to be able to play through some of these injuries as a running back," Staley said. "We all know there’s a difference between being injured and hurt. As soon as you step in this building as a running back, Day 1 training camp, you’re not going to feel the same." Swift has missed seven games through his first two NFL seasons. That is not an egregious number for a running back, though it is obviously more than anyone would hope. Slightly improved health is one of the only things standing between Swift and what could be high-end RB1 status. 

SOURCE: Detroit Free Press 

Jun 2, 2022, 5:36 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread