What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help Needed - yahoo autodraft tips/tricks/hacks (1 Viewer)

joey

Footballguy
I have 2 drafts tomorrow night, one of which I need to autodraft on yahoo. I seem to remember an old Shark Pool thread about this subject but can’t find it. 

So, any tips/tricks/ways to game the system when doing a yahoo autodraft?

i seem to recall the yahoo autodraft will try to draft you whole starting line up first (including K and D) before it takes backups. Does anyone know if this is still the case? I thought this led to some folks to put every single kicker on the Do Not Draft list, for example. 

Thoughts on this? Much appreciated,,,,

Here's a couple of articles I found from the archives:

http://footballguys.com/05freelance_conrad01.php

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2007/07guest_mcginnis1.php

As you can tell from the names, these are a blast from the past.  Still some reliable information.  There was an article with autopick hacks that I can't find.  But from what I can remember, if you want to keep picking RBs and WRs instead of Ks and D/STs, then in your rankings do the following:

Find all the Ks in the draft list, all of them and move them all to the Do Not Draft list.

Then do the same with the D/STs.  Then, they can not be drafted.

Afterwards, when the draft is concluded, find your expendable players and replace them with a kicker and team D from the waiver wire.

As you can tell from the names, these are a blast from the past.  Still some reliable information.  There was an article with autopick hacks that I can't find.  But from what I can remember, if you want to keep picking RBs and WRs instead of Ks and D/STs, then in your rankings do the following:

Find all the Ks in the draft list, all of them and move them all to the Do Not Draft list.

Afterwards, when the draft is concluded, find your expendable players and replace them with a kicker and team D from the waiver wire.
thanks. that's along the lines of what I remember (do not draft all K and DST). And thanks for linking the old articles.

Since it's a 10 team league, it should be easy to find a decent K and D after the draft is over.

Why not just set up your draft queue beforehand?
I will but, as mentioned in my original post, I believe yahoo's system drafts your starters before drafting bench players (ie. it'll take a K and D in the middle rounds) which is very undesirable.  So the tactic of putting ALL K and D into your do not draft list will, in theory, have it skip those positions and start drafting offensive skill position backups instead.

Yep, just tested it out.  Edit Pre-Draft Rankings, sort by position and add all to DND one-by-one.   There are extra kickers, so be sure to hit Load More Players a couple of times until all are added.

Yep, just tested it out.  Edit Pre-Draft Rankings, sort by position and add all to DND one-by-one.   There are extra kickers, so be sure to hit Load More Players a couple of times until all are added.
Yup. Exactly what I’m doing now. Except it errors out on me after 50-75 clicks on the  players I’m moving to DND, and then says "request denied" for about 5-10 minutes. I wonder if it's yahoo thinking I’m a bot or something by doing such a repetitive click over and over again on their site.  Either way, I’ll chip away at it. 

You want to hear food for thought?  I mean depending on how you feel about the QB position I could really see your team benefitting from taking Mahomes w/ your 1st pick?  Obviously, to some degree, you should hope to have players listed in tiers   It's one thing to get stuck w/ both DK and Deebo quite another IF Jacobs is still available  (tbh) I'd even consider going one further and including the Bears D to get drafted after having accounted for all your starter positions   Biggest thing is understanding that if you prioritize ranking every rookie RB for instance in your draft?  Chances are you will miss out on every rookie WR etc.  Small chance not everybody is so interested in specific players

And yes I have indeed drafted a kicker in the first round of a Dynasty league rookie draft  (Big points League tho)   Considering my passion and desire for WR's it's probably far from my worst pick  2011 Folks drafting guys like Julio Jones  Mark Ingram ||  Cam Newton  uh-huh I selected Alex Henery Kicker (Det)

Also, do a practice draft and watch how your team gets drafted  lulz  Maybe you misunderstand some fine point or something  Believe you have to include a checkmark to use your "pre-draft rankings"

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at the results of someone who had to autodraft on Yahoo. He didn't get a K or D, so must have done that. Did end up with a ridiculous number of QBs, though. Maybe bunched them in rankings, don't know, but that may be something to avoid. Good luck.

I just looked at the results of someone who had to autodraft on Yahoo. He didn't get a K or D, so must have done that. Did end up with a ridiculous number of QBs, though. Maybe bunched them in rankings, don't know, but that may be something to avoid. Good luck.
Thanks. Yeah, I DND all K, D, every TE but the top 3, every QB but the top 12. Going to add a few more TEs (6 max) back to the bottom of my draft list. 

If it’s only a 10 team league why not migrate 170 players into your draft list. Remove the guys you don’t want or would never draft near their spot., and replace them at the end. Do one or two or 3 less rounds worth of choices and leave that for computer to draft best D, K, and TE if hasn’t been chosen. (You know computer will draft them if you need them.)

I remember a couple of those threads.

You guys are on the right track, remove all the K/DEF from the list and you will be good.

Assume (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DEF)

The issue with the auto draft is the following.  Let's say you move 31 RB's all to the top, once your team has selected your 2 RB starters (assume no flex), then it will draft your remaining open positions first (QB/WR/TE/K/DEF) which means that every team will draft a TE, K and DEF before RB3.

By removing all K/DEF,  after your team has selected 2RB's 3WR's 1QB and 1TE, it will bypass the K/DEF and select the next highest rank player (Probably RB/WR) for the next 2 rounds while everyone else gets a K/DEF.  There is huge value there to be selected in rounds 8 and 9. 

Users who are viewing this thread