What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who did you target/avoid based on playoff schedule? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Example - Zeke has Bears/Rams/Eagles in the playoffs.  Factor or not?  Who did you give additional weight to based on playoff schedule and who did you avoid based on "red" matchups?

Nobody.  Schedule strength changes so much from year to year that who we think will be tough may not be come playoff time.  Playoff schedule doesn't come into my evaluation of whether to take a player or not. 
Agree.  Plus, you have to get their before you can worry about the playoff schedule.  

None. I drafted the best available players. 

If I had a tough choice,  I did have SOS listed with a value 1 to 10 in a column. Fortunately, I did not have to refer to that once during any of my drafts as I had a pretty clear choice of player every round. 

I did go back and look after the draft, and my playoff matchups are pretty well averaged out from good to bad. 

To get to the playoffs, you have to have the best players possible though. So that’s how I draft. 

Avoiding Davante Adams vs. others in that tier (CHI/MIN)
I get that. But I picked 8th. 

My tier was Hopkins/Julio/Adams

hopkins went 5th, Julio 7th.

i took Adams. 

No way I drop a tier because of a perceived SOS matchup in August. Who knows what  The health of the secondaries will be like during weeks 15 & 16.  

Strength of schedule is only as relevant as the health of the players on the defenses that your guys are facing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that. But I picked 8th. 

My tier was Hopkins/Julio/Adams

hopkins went 5th, Julio 7th.

i took Adams. 

No way I drop a tier because of a perceived SOS matchup in August. Who knows what  The health of the secondaries will be like during weeks 15 & 16.  

Strength of schedule is only as relevant as the health of the players on the defenses that your guys are facing. 
Totally fair. It's just that when you have a choice of all three in the tier you have to break the tie somehow.

Example - Zeke has Bears/Rams/Eagles in the playoffs.  Factor or not?  Who did you give additional weight to based on playoff schedule and who did you avoid based on "red" matchups?
Are you saying that's good or bad for Zeke?  I can see the Bears game as being a downgrade for Zeke as the Bears D isn't bad at all, but both the Rams and Eagles games project to be shootouts, even more so than last year in the case of the Eagles and their upgraded offense. So that's an upgrade for Zeke in those 2 games.  So would you avoid or target Zeke based on playoff schedule?

Nobody.  Schedule strength changes so much from year to year that who we think will be tough may not be come playoff time.  Playoff schedule doesn't come into my evaluation of whether to take a player or not. 
It does change from year to year but that doesn't necessarily mean one can't account for those changes done properly and it can be highly beneficial.

Here's who I targeted/ drafted with strength of schedule for the regular season and the playoff weeks. The first number is for regular season the second number is playoff.

This includes our Contest on this site:

QBs: Goff 1/13, Wentz 2/9 and Brady 3/19 in that order

RBs: Zeke 4/25, Bell 1/16, Mixon 6/10, Cook 7/6, Johnson 9/19, Guice 11/2

WRs: Julio 1/11, Elderman 4/2, Thomas 6/14, Allen 12/19, ( Washington has a cream puff schedule for WRs but their situation is so cloudy I couldn't pull the trigger).

TEs: Andrews 2/20, Eifert 3/6, Walker 4/1, Henry 7/5, (I know I'm missing a few).

Tex

By my ranking Zeke playoff schedule is ranked #25 mostly due to Chicago being #32 but during the regular season he's weighing in at #4 so if you can find a few running backs that have an "easy" playoff schedule then you're golden. Sanders, Barkley, Cook, Mixon, Guice, and Bell should be on the top of that list.

Tex

Gally said:
Agreed but I do keep my eye on guys who have back-to-back road or home games during weeks 15/16.

Dome games too.

Gally said:
This.

A couple weeks before my leagues trade deadline? Yea ... that’s when I take a look at playoff matchups for my starters. Try to move some depth for something. 

I wouldn’t drop a tier, but I keep a constant look at it.  Houston was a team I was looking at as an offensively gifted team and with a good week 14-16 schedule.

Judge Smails said:
I do not even look at the playoff schedules. These things do not often turn out how they seem. There are no '85 Bears or '00 Ravens in the NFL anymore anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread