Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Boys on Amazon Prime


bigmarc27

Recommended Posts

The title doesn’t really do it justice. It’s a show about a world where super heroes are known and real, and are treated as celebrities. It’s a hard M show, lots of language, sex, and violence. 

 

Only one episode in, but it was much different than I was expecting. 

IMDB has it as an 8.9/10 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190634/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Much like Colin Hanks,  the main guy in this sometimes looks like Dennis Quaid and sometimes looks like Meg Ryan.

Whoa, had no idea that's who his parents were. Only just dawned on me after a few episodes he was one of the kids in the Hunger Games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Definitely worth it's own thread.

I went in not knowing much other than "superheroes" and came out liking it a lot more than I ever expected...even after watching a couple episodes. 

The tv show for Ennis’s other huge comic hit sucked, but if you like comics at all and like The Boys, you should read Preacher. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

The tv show for Ennis’s other huge comic hit sucked, but if you like comics at all and like The Boys, you should read Preacher. 

fwiw, I enjoyed Preacher the TV show. watched a season IIRC, but never found it again.

I'm not a graphic novel/comics guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

fwiw, I enjoyed Preacher the TV show. watched a season IIRC, but never found it again.

I'm not a graphic novel/comics guy.

It was probably fine if you didn’t expect the comic. The comic is probably my favorite comic of all time.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stumbled onto the Boys the day it was released, and binged it all within a week or two.  Its been a while, but a question came up in a discussion recently:

Butcher believes Homelander raped his wife.  I thought it was later suggested that tryst was more likely consensual.  Agreed?  Or is it up in the air? or definitely rape? I don't recall the specifics, but the issue came up in a discussion with a friend last weekend and we disagreed. For whatever reason, I was pretty certain the flashback scenes suggested it was consensual.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I stumbled onto the Boys the day it was released, and binged it all within a week or two.  Its been a while, but a question came up in a discussion recently:

 

  Hide contents

Butcher believes Homelander raped his wife.  I thought it was later suggested that tryst was more likely consensual.  Agreed?  Or is it up in the air? or definitely rape? I don't recall the specifics, but the issue came up in a discussion with a friend last weekend and we disagreed. For whatever reason, I was pretty certain the flashback scenes suggested it was consensual.

 

 

I think it’s still ambiguous. Homelander claimed it was consensual, but IIRC the wife looks a little shaken up on the video of her leaving the apartment.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the show was fantastic. Can't wait for season 2. The only downfall is when my kids come downstairs and see me watching something about costumed super heroes they plop down on the couch and say, "this should be good." Uh, nope. Outta here. Not for kids under 12 (which all of my kids are). Git. Skedaddle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rare that a show completely blows away expectations. Maybe it was that expectations were low to begin with, as I expected it to be a cheesy knock-off of The Watchmen (good supes gone bad) riding the coat-tails of everything super-hero in media these days. But man did this show grow on me. Can't wait for next season.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Rare that a show completely blows away expectations. Maybe it was that expectations were low to begin with, as I expected it to be a cheesy knock-off of The Watchmen (good supes gone bad) riding the coat-tails of everything super-hero in media these days. But man did this show grow on me. Can't wait for next season.

These were my thoughts exactly going into this.  I love The Watchmen and thought this was Amazon's attempt to beat HBO to the punch with a similar show.  But was pleasantly surprised when I was completely wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

These were my thoughts exactly going into this.  I love The Watchmen and thought this was Amazon's attempt to beat HBO to the punch with a similar show.  But was pleasantly surprised when I was completely wrong.

Same. I wasn't expecting much but they really went all out and got really dark. So well done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Buckna said:

Whoa, had no idea that's who his parents were. Only just dawned on me after a few episodes he was one of the kids in the Hunger Games.

Had the same experience when I learned the new female character in Stranger Things Season 3 (ice cream shop employee) was the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. Once you know it the resemblance is all you see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Rare that a show completely blows away expectations. Maybe it was that expectations were low to begin with, as I expected it to be a cheesy knock-off of The Watchmen (good supes gone bad) riding the coat-tails of everything super-hero in media these days. But man did this show grow on me. Can't wait for next season.

I thought it was going a completely different direction than the watchman. I thought it was going to be like the tick on Amazon more of a satire comedy. I was happy to be wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

It was probably fine if you didn’t expect the comic. The comic is probably my favorite comic of all time.  

Haven't read the comic and don't think I will. Heard it was a LOT more graphic, sexually and violence wise.

Like the sexual attack on Starlight was way more graphic in the comics. Don't need to see that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, badmojo1006 said:

Haven't read the comic and don't think I will. Heard it was a LOT more graphic, sexually and violence wise.

Like the sexual attack on Starlight was way more graphic in the comics. Don't need to see that

Yeah. Preacher is a bit more muted than Boys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

Liked it. Looking forward to next season.

 

I thought the ending was a LITTLE predictable (after what was revealed to Homelander prior to that) but still good.

Maybe a little, but so few shows are completely unpredictable and still make sense. This was nicely put together I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Surprised this thread didn't gain more traction. We just finished Season 1. Really really good show. The characters are mostly fantastic, the plot is well done, and it is a fun show to watch.

Homelander is really incredible in his role. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Worm said:

Surprised this thread didn't gain more traction. We just finished Season 1. Really really good show. The characters are mostly fantastic, the plot is well done, and it is a fun show to watch.

Homelander is really incredible in his role. 

It was a great show and I’m looking forward to the next season. It likely didn’t get much traction because there’s not much to talk about. No mystery or hidden meanings. It’s kind of like Jack Ryan, most people binge and there’s no real question mark so it’s more about it being a good show or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It was a great show and I’m looking forward to the next season. It likely didn’t get much traction because there’s not much to talk about. No mystery or hidden meanings. It’s kind of like Jack Ryan, most people binge and there’s no real question mark so it’s more about it being a good show or not. 

Yeah, probably right. Long gone are the *** OFFICIAL LOST *** type threads because of the binge-y nature of TV now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Worm said:

Yeah, probably right. Long gone are the *** OFFICIAL LOST *** type threads because of the binge-y nature of TV now.

Yep. Imagine how little there’d be to discuss if you binged Lost or GOT.

I’m sort of surprised at how Netflix and Prime don’t go to a weekly format for some shows. I love binging on shows that have already come out and that I haven’t seen but I don’t like the having to wait a whole year thing. I’ll admit that I’m a hypocrite in that I’ll binge a show but I won’t lie that I’ll be disappointed in terms of having to wait so long.

Disney’s doing it with Mandalorian although I’m almost losing interest because it’s a half hour a week. When you get that little and it’s not a comedy, it can be too short.

Edited by stbugs
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder what the overall audience view of the release schedule issue is. I see a lot of people advocating online for weekly releases, but Amazon and Netflix keep dumping everything at once, and they’d have the data to know what consumer preference is, I would think. Frankly, the only show in recent memory I’ve really wanted to engage in episode by episode discussion about is Thrones, and in retrospect those discussions probably made me enjoy the last couple seasons a lot less than I otherwise would have. 

Edited by thecatch
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Yeah, it's the dumping an entire season all at once that kills the discussion more than anything else.

I enjoy the weekly release, slow watch. Gives the show a chance to breath and allows for better discussion.

I’ve gone back in this direction. On one hand, for shows I’ve missed I really enjoy be able to binge. Over the last few years though, and starting with GoT, I’ve gained a lot of enjoyment from watching an episode and then listening to podcasts during the week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thecatch said:

I wonder what the overall audience view of the release schedule issue is. I see a lot of people advocating online for weekly releases, but Amazon and Netflix keep dumping everything at once, and they’d have the data to know what consumer preference is, I would think. Frankly, the only show in recent memory I’ve really wanted to engage in episode by episode discussion about is Thrones, and in retrospect those discussions probably made me enjoy the last couple seasons a lot less than I otherwise would have. 

Umm, I don’t think it was the discussion that was the problem. All of us in there loved the show. An epic ending and I would have rewatched it at least once by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Umm, I don’t think it was the discussion that was the problem. All of us in there loved the show. An epic ending and I would have rewatched it at least once by now.

Yes, but I personally wouldn’t have closely interrogated the show enough to be aware of/bothered by some of the flaws if I were left to my own devices. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Worm said:

Surprised this thread didn't gain more traction. We just finished Season 1. Really really good show. The characters are mostly fantastic, the plot is well done, and it is a fun show to watch.

Homelander is really incredible in his role. 

There was some more discussion in the Prime and other streaming threads before a dedicated thread was created. It's tough to do dedicated threads for these binge shows sometimes because as you said, not a ton of episode discussion in between each week.

 

Edit: Looking forward to the next season!

Edited by Buckna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Buckna said:

There was some more discussion in the Prime and other streaming threads before a dedicated thread was created. It's tough to do dedicated threads for these binge shows sometimes because as you said, not a ton of episode discussion in between each week.

 

Edit: Looking forward to the next season!

:goodposting: yeah, so shut it Worm. (happy holidays gb)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, thecatch said:

I wonder what the overall audience view of the release schedule issue is. I see a lot of people advocating online for weekly releases, but Amazon and Netflix keep dumping everything at once, and they’d have the data to know what consumer preference is, I would think. Frankly, the only show in recent memory I’ve really wanted to engage in episode by episode discussion about is Thrones, and in retrospect those discussions probably made me enjoy the last couple seasons a lot less than I otherwise would have. 

I guess I’m in the minority but I love getting whole seasons dropped. I’d be very disappointed if it goes the way of broadcast (as I’ve read rumblings of elsewhere).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2019 at 10:16 AM, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Rare that a show completely blows away expectations. Maybe it was that expectations were low to begin with, as I expected it to be a cheesy knock-off of The Watchmen (good supes gone bad) riding the coat-tails of everything super-hero in media these days. But man did this show grow on me. Can't wait for next season.

Same here.  I went into this with zero expectations and ended up really enjoying it.  Part of that is probably because I like that it turns a grossly over-saturated genre upside down. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...