What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Boys on Amazon Prime (2 Viewers)

bigmarc27

Footballguy
The title doesn’t really do it justice. It’s a show about a world where super heroes are known and real, and are treated as celebrities. It’s a hard M show, lots of language, sex, and violence. 

Only one episode in, but it was much different than I was expecting. 

IMDB has it as an 8.9/10 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190634/

Lots of love for it in the Prime & Streaming thread's. I haven't finished it but liking it a ton so far.

Much like Colin Hanks,  the main guy in this sometimes looks like Dennis Quaid and sometimes looks like Meg Ryan.
Whoa, had no idea that's who his parents were. Only just dawned on me after a few episodes he was one of the kids in the Hunger Games.

Whoa, had no idea that's who his parents were. Only just dawned on me after a few episodes he was one of the kids in the Hunger Games.
Only reason I knew was because we paused it and we saw his last name.  After that, we couldn't unsee it. 

Definitely worth it's own thread.

I went in not knowing much other than "superheroes" and came out liking it a lot more than I ever expected...even after watching a couple episodes. 

Definitely worth it's own thread.

I went in not knowing much other than "superheroes" and came out liking it a lot more than I ever expected...even after watching a couple episodes. 
The tv show for Ennis’s other huge comic hit sucked, but if you like comics at all and like The Boys, you should read Preacher. 

The tv show for Ennis’s other huge comic hit sucked, but if you like comics at all and like The Boys, you should read Preacher. 
fwiw, I enjoyed Preacher the TV show. watched a season IIRC, but never found it again.

I'm not a graphic novel/comics guy.

I stumbled onto the Boys the day it was released, and binged it all within a week or two.  Its been a while, but a question came up in a discussion recently:

Butcher believes Homelander raped his wife.  I thought it was later suggested that tryst was more likely consensual.  Agreed?  Or is it up in the air? or definitely rape? I don't recall the specifics, but the issue came up in a discussion with a friend last weekend and we disagreed. For whatever reason, I was pretty certain the flashback scenes suggested it was consensual.

I stumbled onto the Boys the day it was released, and binged it all within a week or two.  Its been a while, but a question came up in a discussion recently:

Butcher believes Homelander raped his wife.  I thought it was later suggested that tryst was more likely consensual.  Agreed?  Or is it up in the air? or definitely rape? I don't recall the specifics, but the issue came up in a discussion with a friend last weekend and we disagreed. For whatever reason, I was pretty certain the flashback scenes suggested it was consensual.

I think it’s still ambiguous. Homelander claimed it was consensual, but IIRC the wife looks a little shaken up on the video of her leaving the apartment.

I thought the show was fantastic. Can't wait for season 2. The only downfall is when my kids come downstairs and see me watching something about costumed super heroes they plop down on the couch and say, "this should be good." Uh, nope. Outta here. Not for kids under 12 (which all of my kids are). Git. Skedaddle.

Liked it. Looking forward to next season.

I thought the ending was a LITTLE predictable (after what was revealed to Homelander prior to that) but still good.

Rare that a show completely blows away expectations. Maybe it was that expectations were low to begin with, as I expected it to be a cheesy knock-off of The Watchmen (good supes gone bad) riding the coat-tails of everything super-hero in media these days. But man did this show grow on me. Can't wait for next season.
These were my thoughts exactly going into this.  I love The Watchmen and thought this was Amazon's attempt to beat HBO to the punch with a similar show.  But was pleasantly surprised when I was completely wrong.

These were my thoughts exactly going into this.  I love The Watchmen and thought this was Amazon's attempt to beat HBO to the punch with a similar show.  But was pleasantly surprised when I was completely wrong.
Same. I wasn't expecting much but they really went all out and got really dark. So well done.

Had the same experience when I learned the new female character in Stranger Things Season 3 (ice cream shop employee) was the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. Once you know it the resemblance is all you see.

Rare that a show completely blows away expectations. Maybe it was that expectations were low to begin with, as I expected it to be a cheesy knock-off of The Watchmen (good supes gone bad) riding the coat-tails of everything super-hero in media these days. But man did this show grow on me. Can't wait for next season.
I thought it was going a completely different direction than the watchman. I thought it was going to be like the tick on Amazon more of a satire comedy. I was happy to be wrong.

It was probably fine if you didn’t expect the comic. The comic is probably my favorite comic of all time.  
Haven't read the comic and don't think I will. Heard it was a LOT more graphic, sexually and violence wise.

Like the sexual attack on Starlight was way more graphic in the comics. Don't need to see that

Haven't read the comic and don't think I will. Heard it was a LOT more graphic, sexually and violence wise.

Like the sexual attack on Starlight was way more graphic in the comics. Don't need to see that
Yeah. Preacher is a bit more muted than Boys. 

Liked it. Looking forward to next season.

I thought the ending was a LITTLE predictable (after what was revealed to Homelander prior to that) but still good.
Maybe a little, but so few shows are completely unpredictable and still make sense. This was nicely put together I think.

While watching the final episode, I finally realized that Homelander is played by the sheriff from Banshee - loved that show, and The Boys is excellent, too.

Surprised this thread didn't gain more traction. We just finished Season 1. Really really good show. The characters are mostly fantastic, the plot is well done, and it is a fun show to watch.

Homelander is really incredible in his role. 

Surprised this thread didn't gain more traction. We just finished Season 1. Really really good show. The characters are mostly fantastic, the plot is well done, and it is a fun show to watch.

It was a great show and I’m looking forward to the next season. It likely didn’t get much traction because there’s not much to talk about. No mystery or hidden meanings. It’s kind of like Jack Ryan, most people binge and there’s no real question mark so it’s more about it being a good show or not. 

It was a great show and I’m looking forward to the next season. It likely didn’t get much traction because there’s not much to talk about. No mystery or hidden meanings. It’s kind of like Jack Ryan, most people binge and there’s no real question mark so it’s more about it being a good show or not. 
Yeah, probably right. Long gone are the *** OFFICIAL LOST *** type threads because of the binge-y nature of TV now.

Yeah, probably right. Long gone are the *** OFFICIAL LOST *** type threads because of the binge-y nature of TV now.
Yep. Imagine how little there’d be to discuss if you binged Lost or GOT.

I’m sort of surprised at how Netflix and Prime don’t go to a weekly format for some shows. I love binging on shows that have already come out and that I haven’t seen but I don’t like the having to wait a whole year thing. I’ll admit that I’m a hypocrite in that I’ll binge a show but I won’t lie that I’ll be disappointed in terms of having to wait so long.

Disney’s doing it with Mandalorian although I’m almost losing interest because it’s a half hour a week. When you get that little and it’s not a comedy, it can be too short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's the dumping an entire season all at once that kills the discussion more than anything else.

I enjoy the weekly release, slow watch. Gives the show a chance to breath and allows for better discussion.

I wonder what the overall audience view of the release schedule issue is. I see a lot of people advocating online for weekly releases, but Amazon and Netflix keep dumping everything at once, and they’d have the data to know what consumer preference is, I would think. Frankly, the only show in recent memory I’ve really wanted to engage in episode by episode discussion about is Thrones, and in retrospect those discussions probably made me enjoy the last couple seasons a lot less than I otherwise would have. 

Yeah, it's the dumping an entire season all at once that kills the discussion more than anything else.

I enjoy the weekly release, slow watch. Gives the show a chance to breath and allows for better discussion.
I’ve gone back in this direction. On one hand, for shows I’ve missed I really enjoy be able to binge. Over the last few years though, and starting with GoT, I’ve gained a lot of enjoyment from watching an episode and then listening to podcasts during the week. 

I wonder what the overall audience view of the release schedule issue is. I see a lot of people advocating online for weekly releases, but Amazon and Netflix keep dumping everything at once, and they’d have the data to know what consumer preference is, I would think. Frankly, the only show in recent memory I’ve really wanted to engage in episode by episode discussion about is Thrones, and in retrospect those discussions probably made me enjoy the last couple seasons a lot less than I otherwise would have. 
Umm, I don’t think it was the discussion that was the problem. All of us in there loved the show. An epic ending and I would have rewatched it at least once by now.

Umm, I don’t think it was the discussion that was the problem. All of us in there loved the show. An epic ending and I would have rewatched it at least once by now.
Yes, but I personally wouldn’t have closely interrogated the show enough to be aware of/bothered by some of the flaws if I were left to my own devices. 

There was some more discussion in the Prime and other streaming threads before a dedicated thread was created. It's tough to do dedicated threads for these binge shows sometimes because as you said, not a ton of episode discussion in between each week.

Edit: Looking forward to the next season!

There was some more discussion in the Prime and other streaming threads before a dedicated thread was created. It's tough to do dedicated threads for these binge shows sometimes because as you said, not a ton of episode discussion in between each week.

Edit: Looking forward to the next season!
:goodposting:  yeah, so shut it Worm. (happy holidays gb)

I guess I’m in the minority but I love getting whole seasons dropped. I’d be very disappointed if it goes the way of broadcast (as I’ve read rumblings of elsewhere).

Same here.  I went into this with zero expectations and ended up really enjoying it.  Part of that is probably because I like that it turns a grossly over-saturated genre upside down. 

Users who are viewing this thread