What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Boys on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

:shrug: I never try to think too much while watching super hero stuff. There's holes in every one of them if you want to find them.
I never get this argument. 

There's superhero/zombie/sci-fi/fantasy/whatever stuff that's full of holes, which I may enjoy briefly and then forget (or just stop watching)...and there's stuff where there aren't these holes- or they aren't as gaping or distracting. The latter makes for memorable, quality tv. The former is just time-filler/killer/why bother (for me). I want everything to hit quality writing standards, especially when the show starts off strong, like this. Why not aspire to have things make sense and we'll thought out- regardless of the genre? 

bigbottom said:
Can you remind me of some examples. I’m sure I’ve just forgotten. 
Empathy and conscience might be overstating it, he's had a couple kind of funny, humanizing scenes.  This season they showed him sobbing when he found out Compound V made the superheroes, and last season I think they showed him playing the piano at the holiday party.

Anybody else think that black noir was doing independent research about homelander/butcher because his motivation was actually in the right place and saw something that didn't look right?

was a little disappointed to see it was vought ceo pulling the strings 
I didn't, I am pretty sure there was a little get Black Noir for me an episode or two ago.

Empathy and conscience might be overstating it, he's had a couple kind of funny, humanizing scenes.  This season they showed him sobbing when he found out Compound V made the superheroes, and last season I think they showed him playing the piano at the holiday party.
Was he sobbing or laughing?

That's a fair point. I think he gave a kid a stuffed animal too. 

‘The Boys’ Spinoff Put On Fast-Track Development At Amazon Following Mothership’s Record Season 2 Launch

Amazon’s superhero series The Boys is getting a spinoff set in superhero college.

The project, written by The Boys executive producer Craig Rosenberg, had been in the works for awhile. It is being fast-tracked in light of the success of the original series’ second season which marked the most-watched global launch of an Amazon Original series ever. The Boys’ first season already had set a high viewership mark for Amazon when it debuted in summer 2019. In its first two weeks, Season 2 has nearly doubled the Season 1 worldwide audience (+89%), drawing millions of new viewers each week.

Set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (and run by Vought International), the Untitled Boys Spinoff is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys.

The spinoff is from the entities behind the original series — Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television in association with Point Grey Pictures, Kripke Enterprises and Original Film.

Rosenberg is writing the pilot and will serve as executive producer/showrunner on the spinoff under his overall deal with Sony Pictures TV. The Boys developer/executive producer Eric Kripke and fellow The Boys EPs, Point Grey Pictures’ Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and James Weaver; and Original Film’s Neal H. Moritz and Pavun Shetty, also executive produce.

Based on The New York Times best-selling comic by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, The Boys is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes – who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as gods – abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It’s the powerless against the super-powerful as the Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about The Seven, and Vought – the multibillion-dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes and covers up all of their dirty secrets.

The series’ Season Two finale is slated for Oct. 9 on Prime Video.

UPDATE: After news of the success of the pending spinoff and The Boys’ success broke, Kripke, Rogen and lead studio Sony Pictures TV confirmed it on Twitter, with Kripke also thanking fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
‘The Boys’ Spinoff Put On Fast-Track Development At Amazon Following Mothership’s Record Season 2 Launch

Amazon’s superhero series The Boys is getting a spinoff set in superhero college.

The project, written by The Boys executive producer Craig Rosenberg, had been in the works for awhile. It is being fast-tracked in light of the success of the original series’ second season which marked the most-watched global launch of an Amazon Original series ever. The Boys’ first season already had set a high viewership mark for Amazon when it debuted in summer 2019. In its first two weeks, Season 2 has nearly doubled the Season 1 worldwide audience (+89%), drawing millions of new viewers each week.

Set at America’s only college exclusively for young adult superheroes (and run by Vought International), the Untitled Boys Spinoff is described as an irreverent, R-rated series that explores the lives of hormonal, competitive Supes as they put their physical, sexual, and moral boundaries to the test, competing for the best contracts in the best cities. Part college show, part Hunger Games — with all the heart, satire and raunch of The Boys.

The spinoff is from the entities behind the original series — Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television in association with Point Grey Pictures, Kripke Enterprises and Original Film.

Rosenberg is writing the pilot and will serve as executive producer/showrunner on the spinoff under his overall deal with Sony Pictures TV. The Boys developer/executive producer Eric Kripke and fellow The Boys EPs, Point Grey Pictures’ Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and James Weaver; and Original Film’s Neal H. Moritz and Pavun Shetty, also executive produce.

Based on The New York Times best-selling comic by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, The Boys is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes – who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as gods – abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It’s the powerless against the super-powerful as the Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about The Seven, and Vought – the multibillion-dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes and covers up all of their dirty secrets.

The series’ Season Two finale is slated for Oct. 9 on Prime Video.

UPDATE: After news of the success of the pending spinoff and The Boys’ success broke, Kripke, Rogen and lead studio Sony Pictures TV confirmed it on Twitter, with Kripke also thanking fans.
Guess it shows there hasn't been a golden egg-laying goose that hasn't been killed yet.

"Part college show, part Hunger Games" Please don't do this.

Who wouldn't want to watch Hungry Animals Game House? 
I should have checked the link; it goes right back to this thread.  Either it was a case of copying the wrong tab or a fishing trip.

:fishing: <-----I feel like this guy right now.

As for the proposed spin-off, if true: what I dread seeing is the plethora of callbacks to 80's and 90's college/school-related movies and TV shows.  Dustin Diamond will play a teacher named Screech with corresponding powers, maybe try to get Booger from Revenge of the Nerds in there, and I'm sure Steven Furst, a.k.a. Flounder from Animal House, is game for a comeback as well.

I'm not against expanding the Vought universe, it's just that the term "fast-track development" is a red flag to me.

I never get this argument. 

There's superhero/zombie/sci-fi/fantasy/whatever stuff that's full of holes, which I may enjoy briefly and then forget (or just stop watching)...and there's stuff where there aren't these holes- or they aren't as gaping or distracting. The latter makes for memorable, quality tv. The former is just time-filler/killer/why bother (for me). I want everything to hit quality writing standards, especially when the show starts off strong, like this. Why not aspire to have things make sense and we'll thought out- regardless of the genre? 
We are of the same opinion, and I think this is why I stopped bothering with most shows.  Too much of a time sink for TV shows that lose steam after a season or two.  

I'm fairly immune when it comes to screen violence, and I really enjoy this show, but, I gotta say, my biggest complaint is that it seems in each episode they try to outdo the gore of the previous one. Two recent scenes stick out to me: In the flashback to the '50s when

Liberty punched that kid in front of the car,
I didn't need to see the closeup of his face, and when Kimiko goes into that bar to take out those three guys, I actually turned away when she

peeled the guy's skin from his face.
Just seems over the top and unnecessary to me. There's only so many head explosions I can take. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions about Stormfront...

1.  How did her breasts endure Homelander's eye laser beams? Is she truly indestructible with absolutely no weaknesses? Maybe stab her with a silver dreidel?

2. Do you think her daughter that died had super powers?

1.  How did her breasts endure Homelander's eye laser beams? Is she truly indestructible with absolutely no weaknesses? Maybe stab her with a silver dreidel?

1. Pretty sure you answered question a with question b, but not sure how to answer question c.

2. I'm gonna say no.

eoMMan said:
I didn't get the Fresca reference. I saw the scene but was there more to it? Was there V in that can or something?
I don't seem to remember Fresca in the comics, so I'm at a loss.

Maybe, like the fly that keeps showing up, it's either a visual quirk/running gag the showrunners and producers like to throw in there, or it will be part of the plot.

I don't seem to remember Fresca in the comics, so I'm at a loss.

Maybe, like the fly that keeps showing up, it's either a visual quirk/running gag the showrunners and producers like to throw in there, or it will be part of the plot.
I assume it's like a recruiting tool. They used it on the Deep a couple times. Sort of like relaxing someone or just an opening line so they'll sit down and listen to their spiel. Just a way to break the ice, nothing more, but definitely the calling card of the church.

I assume it's like a recruiting tool. They used it on the Deep a couple times. Sort of like relaxing someone or just an opening line so they'll sit down and listen to their spiel. Just a way to break the ice, nothing more, but definitely the calling card of the church.
Maybe. It's along the line of thought @eoMMan had that it may contain something that actually has an effect, or to your point, is just a calming placebo. 

It just may be a really obvious allegory for "drinking the Kool-Aid" of a cult.

Will be interesting to see what amounts from it.

Maybe. It's along the line of thought @eoMMan had that it may contain something that actually has an effect, or to your point, is just a calming placebo. 

Yeah, don't think it's going to be anything actually causing an effect. I think it's just a way to break the ice to start talking and obviously, converting. Like a sales tactic or an opening line at a bar. Just something to get a foot in the door.

I read somewhere that it's an inside joke and it just made it into the show.  It was like "What kind of drink would a church cult have?" and someone said Fresca and they rolled with it.

eoMMan said:

I don't think she's indestructible, she seemed genuinely scared when Homelander confronted her about lying about her meeting at the tower.  But she appears to be very tough obviously.  As for her daughter, it didn't seem like it.

I don't think she's indestructible, she seemed genuinely scared when Homelander confronted her about lying about her meeting at the tower.  But she appears to be very tough obviously.  As for her daughter, it didn't seem like it.

I'm not sure how much of that reaction was legitimate fear. If it was genuine, how much that was fear that HL would blow her plan.  He could destroy everything she's worked for, even if she wouldn't die.

I'm not sure how much of that reaction was legitimate fear. If it was genuine, how much that was fear that HL would blow her plan.  He could destroy everything she's worked for, even if she wouldn't die.
I think I agree with Foos. When she’s lying she’s a bit more sarcastic and confident. I’ll have to watch again but it looked like a legitimate reaction. He may be one of the very few threats to her.

Good stuff on the stormfront front, guys.

I had to laugh at HLs big surprise for her...heart shaped floral arrangement. He seemed so earnest about it, and so hurt.

I think I agree with Foos. When she’s lying she’s a bit more sarcastic and confident. I’ll have to watch again but it looked like a legitimate reaction. He may be one of the very few threats to her.
We'll see. 

Both are crazy and incredibly unlikable. Maybe they'll kill each other. 

He’s emotionally a child. His facial expressions are money. 
He absolutely is a petulant child. I was so hoping that it was real when he lasered that crowd. The utter #### show would have been amazing. I expect something like that for real at some point. Kind of disappointed it wasn’t real.

I got the impression she was genuinely afraid of him. There was the line about him being Vought’s dream realized, and he’s supposed to be The Boys equivalent of Superman and the most powerful Supe. His laser eyes did hurt her, just didn’t cut her in half immediately, no doubt he could take her out if he wanted.

Also that episode was awesome.

Also, LOL last week with the “the Joss rewrites are going great” line or whatever. Loved the in-joke there and nod to Justice League.

Homelander is played by an actor from New Zealand (Antony Starr). Crazy how these guys can do an American accent so well but I guess it's no different than us doing their accent.  :shrug:
I think we see so many non-Americans able to nail American accents is because for the decades we have been exposed to 98% American TV and 2% TV from other countries, but other countries grow up watching 30% of native TV and 70% American TV. 

I'm fairly immune when it comes to screen violence, and I really enjoy this show, but, I gotta say, my biggest complaint is that it seems in each episode they try to outdo the gore of the previous one. Two recent scenes stick out to me: In the flashback to the '50s when

Liberty punched that kid in front of the car,
I didn't need to see the closeup of his face, and when Kimiko goes into that bar to take out those three guys, I actually turned away when she

peeled the guy's skin from his face.
Just seems over the top and unnecessary to me. There's only so many head explosions I can take. 
They doubled down for you in Ep 7!

Users who are viewing this thread