What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Boys on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

I watched the ending credits for the first time last night and saw that Hughie is played by Jack Quaid (son of Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan).  I'm sure this is general knowledge, but I had never made the connection.  He looks just like his dad.
It’s been mentioned but no biggie, always fun when someone figures it out! There was similar  :doh:  with Mesmer last year.

Greg Grunberg with the cameo when they were shooting the “Rise of the 7” movie in the tv show a few episodes ago. Wondering if there is a JJ Abrams  connection on this show? Kind of odd to have him there for a minor throwaway scene.

Edit Stupid Autocorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been mentioned but no biggie, always fun when someone figures it out! There was similar  :doh:  with Mesmer last year.

Greg Gormann with the cameo when they were shooting the “Rise of the 7” movie in the tv show a few episodes ago. Wondering if there is a JJ Abrams  connection on this show? Kind of odd to have him there for a minor throwaway scene.
JJ Abrams and Eric Kripke did the tv show Revolution together. They are likely good friends and know a lot of the same actors who are likely friends.

I just remembered something my son and I spotted and that was JJ Abrams directed an episode of The Office. Just odd but he did.

JJ Abrams and Eric Kripke did the tv show Revolution together. They are likely good friends and know a lot of the same actors who are likely friends.
Revolution...whoa. that was an almost great show- can't remember why/when it didn't work.

Fwiw, Haley Joel has a good role in Futureman too

Revolution...whoa. that was an almost great show- can't remember why/when it didn't work.

Fwiw, Haley Joel has a good role in Futureman too
It was almost great. It seemed like it had just a smidge too low of a budget. Felt like it could have been epic but there wasn’t quite enough action. Imagine a movie like The Patriot to put it into what could have been in the fight scenes.

Ah, never saw that one but it fits. I also found on the internet they wanted the filming the movie scene to be very meta hence the joke about the Vietnamese Gluten Free Crepe Food Truck backstage and having Grunberg as a cameo. They wanted that Hollywood in-joke of that dude popping up in like every big movie being true in the show’s universe too. Edit: And Grunberg is apparently a fan of the show and jumped at the chance when they reached out. Also the joke about the Joss rewrite that Homelander mentions.

Butcher wife is ####ed losing the kid like that after all these years. What's her play now?

Speaking of, Butcher/HL kid has to figure into things in the finale, and definitely next season. Will his moral base from mom evaporate immediately, or will he be a foil to HL.

There were so many heads popped in the courtroom, I completely lost track of who got done...we need a- ahem- head-count.
One of the preview scenes they've teased since season 1 is Homelander landing with his face covered with presumably blood and a shocked/sad/scared look on his face, but I don't recall seeing that happen yet.  Gotta be something bad happening to someone he cares about, doesn't it? If that's the case, there's a very short list of candidates:

1. Stormfront--she's his new girlfriend and she seems to have made herself important to him, but I wonder if even the head-burster could kill her.

2. Black Noir--Homelander's favorite member of The Seven after himself. 

3. Maeve--Homelander seems to have a grudging respect for her, even after she came out of the closet, but just like Stormfront, how do you kill someone that powerful?

4. Homelander Jr--Guess he has super strength, but is he indestructible?  Out of this group, I think this is the one that would hit him the hardest, drive him over the edge and have the biggest impact on the plot. That's pretty dark, even for this show.

I'm pretty convinced the following will happen in the finale or next season:

1. Homelander's kid kills Homelander

2. Starlight (effectively a battery) kills Stormfront (effectively a charger for said battery). Starlight can literally absorb Stormfront's powers and use them back on her. Mark it down

2. Starlight (effectively a battery) kills Stormfront (effectively a charger for said battery). Starlight can literally absorb Stormfront's powers and use them back on her. Mark it down
1. Not sure how well The Boys works without Homelander; if next season is the last one, I can see something like this.

2. Great point that's so obvious I missed it.  Maybe that's also why Stormfront didn't rat her out about leaking Compound V to the media.  

I'm not sold on 1, but you've sold me on 2.

1. Not sure how well The Boys works without Homelander; if next season is the last one, I can see something like this.

2. Great point that's so obvious I missed it.  Maybe that's also why Stormfront didn't rat her out about leaking Compound V to the media.  

I'm not sold on 1, but you've sold me on 2.
I don't think 1 happens this season, but I think it's the ultimate end of homelander, IMO. 

1. Will his kid know his "weakness"? I could see this in future season. 

Edit: Homelander tries to kill baby mama. Homelander, Jr ain't having it? 

2. Is a very good idea. Marked down. 

Great catch on 2. I’m just not sure if it happens this next episode or not until next season some time.

On 1, IDK. I’m thinking the kid gets killed in the crossfire or by another Supe or group vying for power at some point causing Homelander to REALLY go off the deep end. Like his little fantasy in his head of wiping out the crowd with his eyes, but a little more sadistic and less publicly obvious mass murder.

i would like to see a little crossover here where either thor shows up and punishes homelander in to dust or one of the gang from storage wars shows up and now guess what darrell the gambler sheets has even better superpowers than homelander and stormfront put together and he smashes them and says thats the wow factor when he sells their exploded heads for mucho dinero take that to the bank brohans 

Mark Paul-Gosselar has been great in this. Nice to see him in a role not as Zach Morris in Saved By The Bell.

Lots and lots to unpack from that one...I'll wait until critical mass has seen it to discuss further.

I will say that HL seems to be coming up on the world this episode.
Usually the climax of a story happens before the closing seconds of the entire episode.

I know it's still early, but I wanted to get some thoughts before I lose them:

1. So the head of the church is Vought's grandson but somehow has no stain of racism on him?

2. My math is kind of fuzzy re: who is and isn't in The Seven.  I was under the impression that Deep was still a member, just "exiled", and that Stormfront was Translucent's replacement, yet they're acting like Deep isn't a member any more.  With A-Train and Starlight back in, and Noir "a vegetable", they still seem a little short:

Homelander

Maeve

A-Train

Starlight

Black Noir (they called him 'a vegetable', so he's not dead but basically useless)

If they don't count Deep as still in The Seven, they're two supes shy.  

3. It was surprising that Starlight didn't redirect Stormfront's lightning back at her; I guess there's some  :nerd:  answer about amps vs. volts, but whatever. I guess it was more dramatic this way than if Starlight had been able to handle her alone, and we wouldn't have gotten the 'girls get it done' scene, and Ryan killing his mother.

4. Speaking of Stormfront's downfall, does anyone know what she was saying in German before she died? (did she die?  She was really messed up but I don't recall them showing her actually die)

5. Right before the scene where Homelander winds up with blood all over his face, I thought they were setting it up that he got that way by killing Stormfront.  When she started on her white supremacy rant to Ryan, you see Homelander kind of flinch.  To me, I thought that was him having an epiphany about her, and I figured that when he was returning to the cabin where the battle between The Boys and Stormfront took place, he was going to confront her as she was escaping the fight and blast her in mid-air.  That would have been cool.

6. The more I thought about it, the more I believe that despite the fact that it was 'only' the show's redshirts' blood that was all over Homelander, that shot of him is still a turning point in his story arc, because in that moment, he was basically powerless and didn't know how he was going to solve his problem, and we hadn't seen him that way until then, and no doubt a 'trauma' like that made something snap.

[\spoiler]

Usually the climax of a story happens before the closing seconds of the entire episode.

I know it's still early, but I wanted to get some thoughts before I lose them:

1. So the head of the church is Vought's grandson but somehow has no stain of racism on him? I completely missed that. When did that come out?

2. My math is kind of fuzzy re: who is and isn't in The Seven.  I was under the impression that Deep was still a member, just "exiled", and that Stormfront was Translucent's replacement, yet they're acting like Deep isn't a member any more.  With A-Train and Starlight back in, and Noir "a vegetable", they still seem a little short:

Homelander

Maeve

A-Train

Starlight

Black Noir (they called him 'a vegetable', so he's not dead but basically useless)

If they don't count Deep as still in The Seven, they're two supes shy.  

My memory is fuzzy...I thought translucent was "on a mission" and not officially dead? If so, storefront replaces deep, and we're all square.

3. It was surprising that Starlight didn't redirect Stormfront's lightning back at her; I guess there's some  :nerd:  answer about amps vs. volts, but whatever. I guess it was more dramatic this way than if Starlight had been able to handle her alone, and we wouldn't have gotten the 'girls get it done' scene, and Ryan killing his mother.

i thought that was a great call by the poster above who thought of it, but I liked how they used if for the kid finding his powers....I also liked how HL starts finding actual parental feelings. He's terrible at it and a sociopath, but seems to genuinely care. 

4. Speaking of Stormfront's downfall, does anyone know what she was saying in German before she died? (did she die?  She was really messed up but I don't recall them showing her actually die)

I was wondering the same...thought I heard mention what sounded like a jewish name. They said she was still alive. Her and Noir in their mash unit.

5. Right before the scene where Homelander winds up with blood all over his face, I thought they were setting it up that he got that way by killing Stormfront.  When she started on her white supremacy rant to Ryan, you see Homelander kind of flinch.  To me, I thought that was him having an epiphany about her, and I figured that when he was returning to the cabin where the battle between The Boys and Stormfront took place, he was going to confront her as she was escaping the fight and blast her in mid-air.  That would have been cool.

yeah, well written and acted there in that moment. I took it as him reacting to somebody trying to teach his kid stuff he didn't agree with...definitely not on board with that at least. Hard to say if he agreed or disagreed with the ideology though- seemed more like he was against the abstract of "nazi" more than the beliefs.

6. The more I thought about it, the more I believe that despite the fact that it was 'only' the show's redshirts' blood that was all over Homelander, that shot of him is still a turning point in his story arc, because in that moment, he was basically powerless and didn't know how he was going to solve his problem, and we hadn't seen him that way until then, and no doubt a 'trauma' like that made something snap.

again, for me, the fatherhood angle of his arc seems the big catalyst...he seems to genuinely care about the kid and wanting to do right by him. Of course, his version of right is still a work in progress 

[\spoiler]
Replies in italics in spoiler

Uh, Translucent is dead, they had the funeral and Starlight sang that song about him.

The head of the church wasn't Vought's grandson, he is the grandson of the founder of the Church

I was also disappointed by Starlight not absorbing Stormfront's energy.  That was a missed opportunity imo.

1.  During the meeting between Edgar and church leader guy, Edgar states that Stormfront was “one of your grandfather’s first followers back when the Collective was a start-up.”  I didn’t take that to mean that the church guy’s grandfather was Vaught.

2. They had a funeral for Translucent, so his death is public.

Replies to your replies:

1. Toward the end of the episode, there was a scene with Edgar and Alistair, Edgar mentions it in passing about Vought being Alistair's grandfather. Not sure if they're just familiar business rivals like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, or if they're just different arms of the same entity that's trying to take over the country.

2. Regarding who is and isn't in The Seven at the moment.  Translucent was confirmed dead at the beginning of the season; Starlight sang at his funeral, where they had a clear plexiglass coffin with nothing in it.  Stormfront was technically Translucent's replacement.  As for the Deep, he was assigned to Sandusky, but I don't recall if he was officially out once his encounter with Starlight was made public.  Plus, everything about Deep's arc this season is about him trying to get back 'in' to The Seven, and when Edgar and Alistair were negotiating his return and then switched it to getting A-Train back in instead, we're led to believe that Deep isn't in, so it's very confusing around his status.

3. @Agent 47 made the observation about Starlight v Stormfront, and I agree/agreed and was fully expecting Starlight to blast Stormfront without mercy. As for Homelander Jr, I thought it was a little rushed giving him his powers, but if you kept up with the episode notes that show up on the side during each episode, they explained that in the comics, Becca dies in that scene but not by Ryan's hand, so I guess they wanted to square up a little with the source material and this was a good opportunity. I agree with your comments about Homelander adjusting to being a father, though now that he's not raising Ryan himself, I think he's going to take on more 'deadbeat dad' qualities, as somewhat exhibited by his behavior at the very end.

4. I missed the part about Vought having Stormfront at the end, but it makes sense.  Still, I can't see any way for her to come back.  And regarding her lineage, I'd have to go back to the episode when she revealed her history to Homelander, but if she was Jewish at any point, she put that waaaaay behind her. It also makes it tough because the actress that plays Stormfront is Jewish, and I sort of get that ethnic vibe from her looks, and I don't think that was an accident, so it makes the character that much more confusing.

5. As for Homelander buying into some of what she was saying, I would guess that for him, the line is drawn between top-shelf supes like him and those worthy enough to be part of The Seven regardless of race, gender, etc., so he definitely wasn't on board with her 'white extermination' narrative.

6. Teasing that shot since season 1 created so much anticipation that a mud person like me built it up in my mind to the point where I expected it to be a defining moment in the entire story, and while it was and just not in the way I thought it would, Antony Starr really knocked it out of the park without doing anything other than maintaining that look and staying as still as a man alighting on earth could stay.  I feel cheated yet satisfied at the same time, because they subverted my subverted expectation of what they were going to do, and they did a brilliant job.  

This show is diabolical indeed.

As for the Seven

Homelander

Maeve

A-Train

Starlight

Black Noir (even if he is a vegetable)

Stormfront

Stormfront replaced Translucent.  Shockwave was supposed to replace A-Train.  I don't think we had a replacement for The Deep yet but he was definitely off The Seven.  I think that opens things up for a couple new supes for next season.

Uh, Translucent is dead, they had the funeral and Starlight sang that song about him.

The head of the church wasn't Vought's grandson, he is the grandson of the founder of the Church

I was also disappointed by Starlight not absorbing Stormfront's energy.  That was a missed opportunity imo.

1.  During the meeting between Edgar and church leader guy, Edgar states that Stormfront was “one of your grandfather’s first followers back when the Collective was a start-up.”  I didn’t take that to mean that the church guy’s grandfather was Vaught.

2. They had a funeral for Translucent, so his death is public.
Guess I need to get my comprehension skills checked.  Sorry for the bad info.

Has anybody else been watching Inside The Boys with Aisha Tyler on Prime Rewind?

I like it. She has the actors and creative team behind the scenes on to discuss each episode after it is released. Only about 30 minutes long and worth watching imo.

I think I enjoyed Ep 7 more than 8 but they were both good.

I'm wondering if Season 3 includes a fast forward in time to when Ryan is an older teen and sets up dad vs. son battles.

I think I enjoyed Ep 7 more than 8 but they were both good.

I'm wondering if Season 3 includes a fast forward in time to when Ryan is an older teen and sets up dad vs. son battles.
Interesting and wouldn’t be surprising so they don’t have to deal with a Carl situation. Either that or he’s gone for a season or two. As someone else mentioned Kripke did Supernatural and that had a pretty stable story arc with an end game over 5-6 seasons. It kept going after that but there was a long term arc. Even Revolution had a long term arc but I think the ratings forced them to end it earlier than planned.

If the former and a time jump, I’d bet the spin offs could fill in the time in between and maybe even include some of the folks in the main show.

Users who are viewing this thread