What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are there no NFL games on Fridays in Week 1?? (1 Viewer)

[scooter]

Footballguy
There isn't much going on in sports right now. High school football doesn't seriously kick in for another week, and very few college teams schedule games on Fridays in September, and most MLB teams are out of the playoff hunt by now. So why doesn't the NFL schedule a Friday night game for Week 1? It's like they act like there's a law against it or something.

There isn't much going on in sports right now. High school football doesn't seriously kick in for another week, and very few college teams schedule games on Fridays in September, and most MLB teams are out of the playoff hunt by now. So why doesn't the NFL schedule a Friday night game for Week 1? It's like they act like there's a law against it or something.
Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-32

Section 1293 is the relevant part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-32

Section 1293 is the relevant part.
The first paragraph of that section is even more relevant. ;)

The first paragraph of that section is even more relevant. ;)
Do you mean the “second Friday in September” wording?

Well, then I guess the answer is largely tradition and inertia. Also, an ethic that Fridays for HS football are still kind of sacred. :shrug:  

It's simple, Friday is a holy day in certain sections of this country.  Much less controversial to play most of their games on Sunday.

Bear in mind that when this act was passed into law, the NFL season traditionally started on the second or third weekend of September, depending on how the calendar fell.  Sometimes there was a Friday or Saturday game in week one in the immediate following years, but obviously they couldn’t be televised.

When they went to a 16-game schedule in 1978, week 1 was moved to Labor Day weekend or sometimes the week after, again depending on the calendar.  It stayed that way until 2001, when the current tradition began of always starting after Labor Day.  I always liked when week 1 began on Labor Day weekend, personally.

So technically they could get away with it and I wouldn’t mind seeing extra games, but I wouldn’t hold your breath on seeing it happen.

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
I love watching the NFL and I don't need another day of it during the week.  It's bad enough with Thursday and Monday already. 
Agree...never like the Thursday games and I don't think many teams do either coming off a sunday game (short week stuff).

But I've often wondered why they don't move the Superbowl to Saturdays...to the point of the OP, nothing is going on.  There's already 2 weeks between the last playoff game so still plenty of time for all the Superbowl stuff.  But the biggest reason I think it would be ideal is the fact that we all have to get up for work the next day which means, at least for me, no staying up celebrating if your team won.  I think it would be better for the bars as people would stay longer, and more people would be open to hosting or going to a Superbowl party if they knew they could sleep in the next day.  Not that ratings are hurting but I still think it would help that too.

Users who are viewing this thread