What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Gardner Minshew II - LV (1 Viewer)

Gardner Minshew completed 22-of-25 passes for 275 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Jaguars' 40-26, Week 1 loss to the Chiefs.

Forced on in relief of an injured Nick Foles (collarbone) late in the first quarter, Minshew played shockingly well, spreading the ball around to D.J. Chark, Chris Conley and Dede Westbrook. Minshew simply wasn't missing any throws. You could say he was taking advantage of a plus matchup, but there really is no such as a plus matchup for a sixth-round rookie forced into a game mid-contest. With Foles likely out 6-8 weeks, Minshew will get a chance to sink or swim, though the Jags will be forced to sign a veteran this week. Despite today's promising showing, Minshew will be a bottom-barrel QB2 on the road in Houston next Sunday.

Sep 8, 2019, 6:16 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Washington State QB Gardner Minshew led the FBS in adjusted completion percentage at 80.9 percent.

This is a sign of light for Minshew after a poor showing at the senior bowl. Adjusted completion percentage removes dropped, batted, or passes thrown away into account making it a useful metric to know how accurate a quarterback actually is. NFL teams will need to look past his performance at the Senior Bowl and focus on his game tape to convince themselves that Minshew is worthy of a late-round pick.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Jan 27, 2019, 11:35 AM ET

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy said Washington State QB Gardner Minshew is the most underrated quarterback in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Minshew has had a quiet pre-draft process if we ignore those elite pictures of him in those jean shorts. Unless something drastic happens in the final stretch, Minshew is expected to be drafted on Day 3 as a developmental-type and potentially long-term backup. What Minshew doesn't have is ideal size or arm strength, but he was quite accurate and very productive in his lone season as the starter at Washington State.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Apr 15, 2019, 6:15 PM ET

ESPN's Todd McShay believes that Washington State QB Gardner Minshew is a Day 3 prospect at this point.

Minshew put up incredible numbers in his only season at Washington State, and he went from battling for the starting job to legitimate Heisman contender until his less-than-spectacular play against Washington in the Apple Cup. McShay notes that Minshew has plenty of confidence and energy, and he "he displays adequate arm strength and above-average accuracy on tape." The issue right now is that Minshew didn't get a chance to show off the ability to make those tight window throws he'll have to make in the NFL. "Scouts will want to see how the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder does under center with the timing of his drops and anticipating throws this week," McShay closes. "Right now, he is a Day 3 prospect."

SOURCE: ESPN

Jan 21, 2019, 4:12 PM ET

The Draft Network's Kyle Crabbs writes that Washington State QB Gardner Minshew "had the worst series of possessions out of a horrid group of 1st-half passers" during the Reese's Senior Bowl on Saturday.

Oh dear. Minshew (6'1/224) finished his afternoon in Mobile having completed just 1-of-8 passes for four yards, with Crabbs writing that the Washington State signal-caller "got lucky avoiding an interception and didn’t really have any chemistry with his receivers." The analyst notes that his film shows a tendency to settle on his receiving targets late, obviously a no-no for the pro game. All of this darkness stated, Minshew wasn't a complete mess for the practice week as a whole, though "not a complete mess" is faint praise for somebody fighting for a late-round draft selection to begin with.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Jan 26, 2019, 8:12 PM ET

It's 1 week. A rookie. Nobody has any tape on him. We've all seen this a million times before. Let's give it a few weeks.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Jaguars are "comfortable" with Gardner Minshew as their starting quarterback.

Per Mortensen, the Jaguars haven't "ruled out" signing a veteran backup, but the expectation is that Minshew will operate as the starter in Nick Foles' absence. The sixth-round rookie held his own in Sunday's debut, supplying 275 yards and two touchdowns on 22-of-25 passing (88.0 completion percentage) in a loss to Kansas City. Minshew could be a consideration in two-quarterback settings, though fantasy owners should obviously temper their expectations heading into a difficult road matchup with Houston in Week 2.

RELATED: 

Nick Foles

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Sep 9, 2019, 11:09 AM ET

He's good but I'd guess they're going to sign someone also.
They just traded for a ham sandwich to back him up. This is how you find NFL QB gems. You give them a shot, let them take the growing pains and you could end up with a Kurt Warner.

Would Coughlin call up the giants and inquire about Eli? Giants aren't going anywhere. In fact letting Eli go now may get them out of the media storm when they bring in Jones later.

Would Coughlin call up the giants and inquire about Eli? Giants aren't going anywhere. In fact letting Eli go now may get them out of the media storm when they bring in Jones later.
Only as the backup. Stick with Minshew. No reason to waste time with Eli. Perfect opp to see if you uncovered a gem at QB.

it is only one game and the NFL is a tough place to make long shots come true, but Minshew has been an overcomer his entire life. He started at my local high school in Brandon Mississippi his last three years in high school and won one state championship out of two final appearances. He was rated only a three star athlete coming out of high school, primarily due to being less than ideal size and not very fast, but he has always been a great leader. He got very few offers and spent a year at NWCC in  Mississippi, leading his team to a national junior college championship. He again received few offers and wound up at East Carolina on a very bad team. He played quite a bit, but did not have much success until late in his second season where he threw for over 300 yards three straight games. He graduated from East Carolina after spending only three years in college and was a graduate transfer to Washington State where he played very well for one season with Coach Mike Leach. He got mixed reviews in a fairly highly rated quarterback class and was not drafted until the sixth round.

He winds up sticking with the Jaguars and now has an opportunity to start for a while and I am rooting loudly for him. 

He's good but I'd guess they're going to sign someone also.
They just traded for a ham sandwich to back him up. This is how you find NFL QB gems. You give them a shot, let them take the growing pains and you could end up with a Kurt Warner.
Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you, but that's not really what happened with Kurt Warner. Warner spent 2 years in the Arena league, then 1 season in NFL Europe, then 1 year as an NFL backup. In other words, he got a lot of time to get accustomed to the pro game without experiencing any competitive pressure.

Minshew, on the other hand, was in college 9 months ago.

Not that I'm saying that Minshew can't be successful. Just that his story is more similar to someone like Gus Frerotte than Kurt Warner.

Jacksonville has exactly the kind of defense that can beat a Kansas City or New England. 

Sure Minshew may be the next Tom Brady but that doesn't mean they should do nothing to seriously shore up the position. It was Drew Bledsoe, not Tom Brady, who beat Pittsburgh on the road in the AFCCG on the way to the Patriots first Super Bowl. Is Josh Dobbs going to do that?

Minshew played shockingly well
How well?

Rookie who flashed: Gardner Minshew, QB

Gardner Minshew, QB

How the newcomer starred: Minshew completed his first 13 passes -- the most by a rookie quarterback to begin his career over the past 40 years, per Elias Sports Bureau research -- en route to 275 yards and two touchdowns. Minshew completed 22 of 25 passes, with one of the incompletions a pass that bounced off Leonard Fournette's hands and was intercepted. Minshew's completion percentage (88.0%) was the highest in league history for any player with at least 15 pass attempts making an NFL debut. It is also a franchise single-game record among players with at least 25 pass attempts. -- Mike DiRocco

Best performance by a late-round rookie QB in his first game, ever?
Best in completions to start a game and best with the highest completion percentage in NFL history.🏆

it is only one game and the NFL is a tough place to make long shots come true, but Minshew has been an overcomer his entire life. He started at my local high school in Brandon Mississippi his last three years in high school and won one state championship out of two final appearances. He was rated only a three star athlete coming out of high school, primarily due to being less than ideal size and not very fast, but he has always been a great leader. He got very few offers and spent a year at NWCC in  Mississippi, leading his team to a national junior college championship. He again received few offers and wound up at East Carolina on a very bad team. He played quite a bit, but did not have much success until late in his second season where he threw for over 300 yards three straight games. He graduated from East Carolina after spending only three years in college and was a graduate transfer to Washington State where he played very well for one season with Coach Mike Leach. He got mixed reviews in a fairly highly rated quarterback class and was not drafted until the sixth round.

He winds up sticking with the Jaguars and now has an opportunity to start for a while and I am rooting loudly for him. 
These are the kind of stories I love. Kid has been told his whole life, too small, not strong enough and now he is starting on Sundays and has a chance to really make it. I thought he looked very impressive in the pre-season vs my lowly Dolphins. What was most impressive was his poise, leadership, and accuracy.  Just looked confident and smooth. 

Great story. Let's see how far he can go.

This dude is intriguing, anyone adding?
Added Gardner Flint Minshew II in my dynasty. I like guys who look like they have played QB before. Great poise, command, confident decisions, good accuracy, some really nice pocket movement and accuracy on the run. It is very early and the league chews a lot of these guys up quickly...but he passed the game one eyeball test so I am taking a low cost flier. Fun to root for a guy like this.

Between a lot of people liking him under the radar and how he performed when he played, I'm not letting this guy go cheap in 14 Team Dynasty Superflex. 

He's probably the second coming of Kurt Warner :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember a rookie QB performance in his first game that was more impressive than this... Especially as a backup... 

He has time to Wally Pipp Foles, and the Jags can trade Foles or have an out on Foles in the post 2020 offseason... if Minschew works out at all while Foles is out. 

I'm old enough to remember Nick Mullens.  16/22 +3 TDs/0 INTs
Touche. I love Mullens.  Garoppolo better not falter, Mullens has to be breathing down his neck. 

Minshew impressed me more than Mullens did with the eye test but Mullens performance is right up there too. 

"We lost two games this year, but we haven't lost a party."
-Gardner Minshew

I just like this guy, he's kind of ridiculous but in a great way haha. 

Guys........I love this story and hope it continues....but pump the brakes on the Warner, Favre talk. He has no where near the arm and physical tools those guys had.

Think Chad Pennington folks. A solid game manager who can simply win games, be a great leader and a winning QB. He has a shot to be really successful but not like those guys stats wise or the passes they were able to pull off. 

Still,  a great story is potentially brewing and going against the Texans at Houston will be a really nice litmus test too. That is a very solid defense. It is going to be a tough task winning on the road there for his first NFL career start. 

Users who are viewing this thread