What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Gardner Minshew II - LV (1 Viewer)

the last time i started him was when he laid an egg vs MIA.

but now I'm back due to lack of options and here is jake ciely's take:

Minshew struggles mightily against man coverage, which the Lions run more than anyone. The Chargers are in the bottom third, or running a high amount of zone, and they’re also one of the best matchups for quarterbacks according to APA (26.5, which is +6.9 over league average). And as always, Minshew runs (21-for-101 this season), which we love in fantasy.

How long before we see Jake Luton? 

You can see in the body language of his receivers that they just don't have faith in him. Especially Chark, who runs great routes and Minshew misses him by  yards. 

a) Minshew is an interesting diversion on a bad team.

b)Minshew upside might be career backup 

c) Minshew is not a franchise QB.

d)Minshew should never be benched for Mike Glennon

all 4 things can be true

Gardner Minshew completed 14-of-27 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' Week 7 loss to the Chargers.

The good news is that Minshew was not benched mid-game following rumors that he's on the verge of being replaced. The bad news is that he still struggled. Minshew's arm lacks NFL-starter zip and his usual serviceable accuracy has gone missing in recent weeks. It's easy to tell that D.J. Chark and the other receivers are ready for a change, and the coaching staff could make a move at any point. That alone keeps Minshew outside of QB2 consideration even if he's been posting top-20 fantasy numbers through seven weeks.

Oct 25, 2020, 8:15 PM ET

Gardner's accuracy recently just isn't acceptable. It really stood out as a strong point for him last year along with his touch.

That said, I laughed out loud when I read the blurb this AM I think that they'd (potentially) replace him with........Mike Glennon. :lmao:  C'MON MAN!!!

Bench him for Glennon?  Lol who is writing these blurbs.

Dude is a 24 year old 2nd year starter currently on pace to throw for 4250 passing yards with 32 TDs, a completion pct near 70, YPA in the 7's, QB rtg in the 90's.

You put that on paper without a name and 2/3rd's of the league would trade their entire next draft for it.

Maybe, just maybe the Jags issue has more to do with the defense giving up 30+ points in 6 out of 7 games this year.

I had high hopes for Minshew this year and I agree he's been a bit disappointing this year, but Mike Glennon? What would be the point of that? I still think that if Minshew had draft capital behind him but was producing the same performances his leash would be much longer. That's just the way it is. For him to keep the job beyond this year, they had to win 5 or 6 games and make it unlikely that they could draft one of the top QBs. Well the team has fallen completely apart again and I guess Minshew will be the fall guy. I think it's a shame because he's good enough to have a starting job IMO, but he probably just hasn't put enough good games/wins together (not that he's had much help). 

Bench him for Glennon?  Lol who is writing these blurbs.

Dude is a 24 year old 2nd year starter currently on pace to throw for 4250 passing yards with 32 TDs, a completion pct near 70, YPA in the 7's, QB rtg in the 90's.

You put that on paper without a name and 2/3rd's of the league would trade their entire next draft for it.

Maybe, just maybe the Jags issue has more to do with the defense giving up 30+ points in 6 out of 7 games this year.
What's the goal? Trevor Lawrence or another top QB from the draft? 

On paper, Minshew looks good, but those who watch the games say he's missed some throws and has no zip on the long throws, ala Brees. Also, Chark dropped some passes, so it's definitely not all on Minshew. 

The bye week would be the time to check out the rookie... and probably lose some more games.

I had high hopes for Minshew this year and I agree he's been a bit disappointing this year, but Mike Glennon? What would be the point of that? I still think that if Minshew had draft capital behind him but was producing the same performances his leash would be much longer. That's just the way it is. For him to keep the job beyond this year, they had to win 5 or 6 games and make it unlikely that they could draft one of the top QBs. Well the team has fallen completely apart again and I guess Minshew will be the fall guy. I think it's a shame because he's good enough to have a starting job IMO, but he probably just hasn't put enough good games/wins together (not that he's had much help). 
Agreed. If you told Dolphins fans that you were from the future and Tua was going to put up a 4200 passing yards pace at a 32 TD pace with a completion percentage near 70 and QB rating in the 90's they would say OMG we finally found the next Marino.

I know we're in a new era but Minshew put up a top 10 rookie QB season all-time and has followed it up with a pretty good sophomore campaign.  The wins are missing, obviously, but that's not surprising on a team that has allowed fewer than 30 points only once all year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luton or Glennon time?
Is it though? Minshew has been playing through it, and several QBs have played through broken thumbs on their throwing hand. The writing might be on the wall (regardless of injury) but I'm not so sure it will be because of the injury.

Is it though? Minshew has been playing through it, and several QBs have played through broken thumbs on their throwing hand. The writing might be on the wall (regardless of injury) but I'm not so sure it will be because of the injury.
I was asking which would start, Luton or Glennon? ;)

Looks like Minshew will not be starting after the bye

Luton or Glennon time?
The injury gives them an excuse (I suppose) to "go to Glennon". I couldn't imagine for the life of me going to Glennon just purely on benching a healthy Minshew. 

I'd see what Luton's got if Minshew can't go or straight benching. I wouldn't bench a healthy Minshew myself. I think he'll have a very healthy market around the league if the Jags decide he's not their starter long term (more likely than not) or backup (if they bench him now...I think you say "We don't see you having a future on the team").

For a guy 1.5 year in the league and 2 different systems, there's a lot to like on film. 

If the team knew about his injuries in his hand and still made the statement that they were threatening to bench him because of his play seems bush league to me. I understand not wanting to divulge an injury to your opponents but it insinuates he isn't performing well and is fairly healthy. Like has been mentioned, he's been putting up good numbers on a bad team. It seems his downturn in play has been because of injuries. Should they bench him because of the injuries? Maybe, but at least be upfront about it.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew is expected to be inactive for Week 9 against the Texans.

One of Mike Glennon or Jake Lutton will draw the start next week. Rapoport noted that both passers have looked better than Minshew in practice at certain points. Minshew is dealing with a thumb fracture and strained ligament but his Week 9 status could also be the result of his middling play. Minshew is averaging 6.9 yards per attempt and hasn't led Jacksonville to a win since Week 1. Lutton, a sixth-round rookie, could get the start so the Jaguars can see if he has any long-term potential.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 1, 2020, 12:04 PM ET

Lutton? That's not editing or a typo, Roto. I guess he's a "lutton" for punishment. Har. Har har har. That is all.
Good to know. You were right about Minshew, who is my backup in a 16-team league and pickins are slim. Choices would be Darnold, Kyle Allen and Geno Smith, who is backup to my starter Wilson. Jets and former Jet QBs on the waiver wire!

Leaning toward Allen, could go naked. 

I like Foles a lot and think he is still very underrated but I'm not sure why anyone would assume that he'd play at a higher level or give the team a better chance to win than Minshew. If Foles is actually better than Minshew at this point, the difference would be marginal. I agree that they will probably go back to Foles (unless the Jags win this week) because this is the NFL, but I think it would be the wrong decision.
What? Foles now plays for the Bears

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said Gardner Minshew (thumb) won't play in Week 9 against the Texans.

Sixth-round rookie Jake Luton will receive the "starter reps" in practice and likely get the official nod in place of Minshew by end of week. Marrone also said that he has "no idea" how long Minshew will be out and that there's "no guarantee" Minshew would start again even if he's able to return. It's the second year in a row the coaching staff has pinned the blame under center and run from all accountability elsewhere. The team's next nine games will at least lend the organization a developmental look at Luton, who averaged a pedestrian 7.6 YPA at Oregon State, before inevitably selecting a quarterback with a top-five selection in the 2021 draft.

RELATED: 

Jake Luton

SOURCE: Mark Long on Twitter

Nov 2, 2020, 2:15 PM ET

Gardner Minshew completed 18-of-31 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' 31-10, Week 14 loss to the Jaguars. 

With Mike Glennon playing terrifyingly bad football, Minshew was called on for the final 23 minutes with the Jaguars trailing 31-3. He immediately sparked the offense to its lone touchdown drive, though he stalled inside the red zone twice. The Jags went for it both times instead of settling for field goals, failing both times. Minshew is not a franchise quarterback, but he is infinitely better than 31-year-old Glennon. If the Jags go back to Glennon for Week 15, it will be about preserving their shot at Clemson's Trevor Lawrence. If Minshew gets the call, he will lack QB2 appeal for a brutal matchup in the Ravens. 

- Rotoworld

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said Gardner Minshew will start in Week 15 against the Ravens.

Marrone previously scapegoated Minshew (rather than evaluating his own flaws) during the team's Week 8 bye only to rattle off six consecutive losses with rookie Jake Luton and Mike Glennon under center. It's admittedly an awful spot for Minshew to return for against Baltimore's nightmarish defense, but he did at least conduct a scoring drive in his mop up work over the final 23 minutes of Sunday's loss to Tennessee. Note that Keelan Cole and D.J. Chark have tied for a team-high in target share (15.4%) from Minshew this season.

SOURCE: Mark Long on Twitter

Dec 14, 2020, 1:34 PM ET

Gardner Minshew completed 22-of-29 passes for 226 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' 40-14 Week 15 loss to the Ravens. 

Minshew was nearly picked a few times in this one, and lost a fumble in the second half as the game got out of hand. Minshew, in reclaiming the starting job, faced constant pressure and consistently made desperation heaves off his back foot. His limited arm strength showed up on a couple first half throws that floated short of the target. Through it all, he put up fantasy-viable numbers, as he so often has during his run with Jacksonville. 

Dec 20, 2020, 6:32 PM ET

GARDNER MINSHEW QB, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone wouldn't name a starting quarterback for Week 16 against Chicago. 

Gardner Minshew and Mike Glennon are splitting reps in practice. Whoever has the best week between the two will start. Minshew is coming off a blowout loss to the Ravens where he took five sacks and lost a fumble, while Glennon was benched in Week 14 after averaging 3.7 YPA. Regardless who starts, Jacksonville skill players should be avoided outside of James Robinson. With the Jets winning in Week 15, the Jaguars have a 74% chance at the No. 1 overall pick. 

RELATED: 

Mike Glennon

SOURCE: jaguars.com

Dec 23, 2020, 9:16 AM ET

Gardner Minshew did not play in Jaguars' Week 17 loss to the Colts.

Minshew’s 6.9 yards per attempt and 4.9% touchdown rate from 2020 were nearly identical to his rookie season, but the Jaguars opted to start Mike Glennon and Jake Luton down the stretch while Tanking for Trevor. Minshew’s chances of being an NFL starter are essentially over, although he has some Ryan Fitzpatrick in him as a potential spark plug backup. The Jaguars have him under contract for cheap through the 2022 season.

- Rotoworld
His only chance is if Jacksonville somehow inexplicably passes on Trevor Lawrence.

His only chance is if Jacksonville somehow inexplicably passes on Trevor Lawrence.
Correct.  The discussion this week was that the Jags will actively seek to deal Minshew over the offseason.  They saw enough to know he is not an NFL-caliber starting QB, but since he was the Jags starter for parts of 2 seasons, and is a tough competitor with a big personality, keeping him around to back up Trevor would be a disservice to both guys

I feel bad for this guy.  Gives his heart and soul and plays well enough to be a starter in the league.  He's not going to be a top tier guy but he's definitely more towards the middle than the bottom of the pack.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jaguars "have received a few calls" regarding Gardner Minshew's availability.

RapSheet didn't name teams, but it makes sense teams would be interested in Minshew as a backup. He's obviously not a starter in the league, but Minshew definitely has Ryan Fitzpatrick vibes to him as an elite backup who could keep the boat afloat in a pinch. The Jaguars only currently employ Minshew and 2020 sixth-rounder Jake Luton under contract, but they're obviously picking a quarterback at No. 1 overall next month.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 17, 2021, 4:40 PM ET

Yeah he wasn't what I thought he would be - I had high hopes. I still have to wonder if his issues last year were due to THE MULTIPLE FRACTURES IN HIS THROWING THUMB THAT HE PLAYED THROUGH!!!

Obviously Lawrence is the only possible decision for the Jags but I would love to see someone else go for Minshew. I'd like to see him with another chance to be a starter.

Mike Lombardi, who is very tight with Bellichick, was talking about Minshew a few weeks ago as being dealt and he said he felt that Minshew was on par with Baker and its not the first time he'd said that. Add in Urban Meyer's relationship with BB along with the need and I'm putting NE as heavy favorite to land him.

That may not be that great but it would be the swaggiest QB room ever.

Mike Lombardi, who is very tight with Bellichick, was talking about Minshew a few weeks ago as being dealt and he said he felt that Minshew was on par with Baker and its not the first time he'd said that. Add in Urban Meyer's relationship with BB along with the need and I'm putting NE as heavy favorite to land him.

That may not be that great but it would be the swaggiest QB room ever.
I would be ecstatic if he went to NE. 

Bears are spending like $16 mil on Foles/Dalton.

I'd take Minshew over either right now. At a fraction of the cost. At worst IMO, you got a high end backup with Gardner. I think he'd be a phenomenal flier for NE.

I actually think several teams with playoff aspirations would be better in 2021 with Gardner than what they have (Chicago/NE/New Orleans). I'm not completely writing off what I saw in his rookie year because Jags tanked around him and inability to play well with a fractured thumb. I see a guy that can lead also with quite a bit of talent. Ryan Fitzpatrick, as Rotoworld indicated, probably isn't the worst comparison in the world (backups that forge their way to starting opportunities during their careers). I think Minshew is a much better decision maker at same stages of their careers. 

Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said the team is not fielding trade calls for QB Gardner Minshew "at this point." 

Meyer, who called Minshew a "competitive maniac" during his Friday morning press conference, threw a bit of cold water on the notion that Jacksonville is taking calls from NFL team looking to acquire Minshew. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Wednesday that the Jags were talking to several teams about a Minshew trade. Probably it's only a matter of time before Minshew leaves Duval County, but it looks like Meyer might wait until the NFL Draft draws near. Minshew has averaged 240.5 passing yards, 1.6 touchdown passes, and .47 interceptions in 23 games for the Jaguars since the start of the 2019 season. 

RELATED: 

Trevor Lawrence

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 19, 2021, 8:32 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread