Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty: QB Gardner Minshew II, Jaguars - The clock has struck midnight on Minshew Mania!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it is only one game and the NFL is a tough place to make long shots come true, but Minshew has been an overcomer his entire life. He started at my local high school in Brandon Mississippi his last thr

Put me in the crowd that thinks this isn't even a question right now. Would have said Minshew heading into the season. The only thing anyone can hold against Minshew is his draft position. Minshe

Anybody call this guy Fu Minshew yet? I think that may be perfect.

Fun Friday: Jaguars Training Camp Observations

Excerpt:

Minshew posts a fine outing:

At training camp practices, all eyes are constantly on the quarterback. As the most important position on the team, it makes sense. Minshew posted a solid outing today, and while there was one interception by second-year safety Andrew Wingard on an under-thrown football, the good easily outweighed the bad. 

Early on in practice, Minshew had probably two of the most on-target deep passes a Jaguars quarterback has had in quite some time. The arm strength training was evident as he wasn’t afraid to unleash the deep ball, and his release didn’t appear to be exaggerated. 

There were two deep passes that stood out today. On the first throw, Minshew hit fourth-year receiver Dede Westbrook in stride down the middle of the Jaguars’ defense:

https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1294285302547218433?s=21

On the second throw, easily the play-of-the-day for the Jaguars and Minshew, the second-year quarterback threw a beauty of a deep ball down the left sideline, hitting Chark in stride, a perfect pitch and catch:

https://twitter.com/miaobrientv/status/1294313972833951744?s=21

NFL training camp 2020: Good news for Alex Smith, Gardner Minshew

Excerpt:

New Jaguars offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said he's been impressed with how second-year QB Gardner Minshew has picked up the offense and how smooth he looked in the first week of practices. That's not a surprise, though, considering Minshew is on his seventh offensive system since the 2014 high school season and has thrived at most stops.

"We're starting to install the meat and potatoes of our offense and Gardner's been great," Gruden said. "He's a hard worker. He's willing to learn. ... He's got a huge upside and we're excited to tap into that."

Minshew didn't seem to have any confusion on Sunday. He held the ball a little too long a couple times while trying to find a receiver in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills, but his throws were crisp. While he might not completely know the offense at this point, he was calling out checks and re-aligning players before the snap. In one instance he moved rookie WR Laviska Shenault across the formation into a different spot.

"I like where his mind's at," Gruden said. "We're trying ... challenge him with these concepts and protections and so far it's been great." -- Michael DiRocco

• 2 weeks later...

Gardner Minshew @GardnerMinshew5

I’ve been working hard to be your first pick in fantasy this year, and @BudLight is making your decision easier. When you pick me first, tweet a screenshot of your pick with #budlightminshewdraft and #sweepstakes and you could win a case worth of Bud Light!

https://twitter.com/gardnerminshew5/status/1298357822376247297?s=21

17 minutes ago, Faust said:

When you pick me first, tweet a screenshot of your pick with #budlightminshewdraft and #sweepstakes and you could win a case worth of Bud Light!

"I like where his mind's at," Gruden said

Edited by rockaction
  • Laughing 1

He is the discount Kyler Murray. 2nd year player. His rookie year wasn't bad, basically scored the same per game as Aaron Rogers. Tom Brady, Jimmy G and Goff. He was 4th amongst QBs in rushing attempts per game and rushing yards per game. He also didn't rush for a TD which seems like a bad luck. I think we could expect him to have 350 and 3 on the ground which is an extra 3 points per game that could be the difference between QB 20 and QB 10. 

So you could win

• A case of Bud Light for drafting him in the first round
  • A year's worth of Bud Light for winning your league with him as your starting QB

I'll predict now that barring an absurdly QB-heavy scoring system, nobody will hit on both of those no matter how good of a year he has. 

eta - excluding a league comprised mostly of children and household pets

Edited by heckmanm
On 8/12/2020 at 7:04 PM, RushHour said:

Can't believe how underrated this guy is.

Solid QB2 with upside for more. Maybe that isn't worth a lot in many 1QB leagues, but there are plenty of leagues where that has value and people are treating him like he doesn't exist and will be replaced at the first opportunity. 

I'm rooting for him and I believe he has talent but it's not inconceivable that he gets figured out this season and the Jags are likely going to be in position to draft Trevor Lawrence even if Gardner plays well. Their defense should be very bad.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I'm rooting for him and I believe he has talent but it's not inconceivable that he gets figured out this season and the Jags are likely going to be in position to draft Trevor Lawrence even if Gardner plays well. Their defense should be very bad.

I'm also rooting for him.  Really enjoyed watching him play last year and eager to see what he looks like with a "full" off-season preparing as the unequivocal starter.

I could see a scenario in which he plays well, the Jags don't do well overall, and they trade him to a QB-needy team not in position to grab a top QB in the draft.

4 minutes ago, Longtucky Lemmings said:

I'm also rooting for him.  Really enjoyed watching him play last year and eager to see what he looks like with a "full" off-season preparing as the unequivocal starter.

I could see a scenario in which he plays well, the Jags don't do well overall, and they trade him to a QB-needy team not in position to grab a top QB in the draft.

That sounds like a Jags thing to do. Trade him to Pittsburgh where he goes on to have a great career and draft a bust with the #3 pick. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, heckmanm said:

So you could win

• A case of Bud Light for drafting him in the first round
  • A year's worth of Bud Light for winning your league with him as your starting QB

I'll predict now that barring an absurdly QB-heavy scoring system, nobody will hit on both of those no matter how good of a year he has. 

eta - excluding a league comprised mostly of children and household pets

Uncle Rico and Bud Light?!  The League I Commish actually forbids making a pick for any external incentive such as this.

• Laughing 2
21 minutes ago, socrates said:

Uncle Rico and Bud Light?!  The League I Commish actually forbids making a pick for any external incentive such as this.

If anyone took Minshew in Round 1 just for a chance at winning a case of But Light, they're already being punished with a tiny brain.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
17 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

If anyone took Minshew in Round 1 just for a chance at winning a case of But Light, they're already being punished with a tiny brain.

Yeah I'm thinking of offering to double it up for them in my local friendly league. I'll buy you a case of *good* beer if you take Minshew. Mind you it is a 6pts per passing TD league and QBs do go in the 1st occasionally. Lol.

I'm sold. Pocket awareness , mobility and acvuracy. The coach. The weapons are there and the defense is bad. I drafted him in my 16 team league, #1 among backup QBs.

I expect him to do better than Mayfiield, Cousins, Garrapolo, Goff and Jones who are ranked a little higher.

Sigmund Bloom @SigmundBloom

"With the presence of Fournette no longer dictating JAX offensive scheme, could they finally become a more pass-oriented team? 

"Everyone wants to be able to run the football when they need to, but I think the most important thing is scoring points," Marrone said on Monday"

https://twitter.com/sigmundbloom/status/1300532987247894529?s=21

Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew aims to build on 2019 mania

Excerpt:

Gardner Minshew found himself playing catch-up again, this time reminding Jacksonville’s starting quarterback of his childhood in Mississippi.

Sick days weren’t a big deal back in grade school. In the NFL during the age of coronavirus, the illness potentially could derail seasons and stall the incredible momentum Minshew built on the fly last season.

After a two-day stint on the COVID-19 list due to interaction with an infected teammate and two negative tests, Minshew was ready to return to work earlier this month and reconnect with teammates.

“It was like the first day of school,” Minshew joked. “I had my outfit picked out and everything. I had to stay at home and that sucks. I missed out on playing with all of my friends.”

In the end, though, Minshew is still well ahead of schedule.

The 24-year-old made fast friends in the locker room last season and inspired a movement in the community, where faux-mustachioed fans cheered Minshew’s unexpected rise from sixth-round draft pick to possible franchise savior.

The Jaguars are banking on Minshew Mania to be more than a passing phase and rather a sea change on the First Coast to build on during the 2020 season and beyond.

Skeptics remain outside the football complex of a team that followed a 2017 AFC Championship game appearance with consecutive losing seasons, including 6-10 in 2019. Minshew still has his share of critics who wonder if whether a quarterback lacking prototypical size and a cannon-like arm strength can survive on grit, guile and a high football IQ.

“I think you hear all those things and you hear what people are saying against you,” Minshew said. “But at the end of the day you know what you can do and you know what the guys around you can do. We are going to focus on the things we can do and not what we can’t do.

“I think if we do that, if we focus on ourselves, we’ll have a chance to be pretty damn good.”

With Minshew under center, the 2019 Jags had their moments despite preparing the entire preseason with another quarterback.

When high-priced free-agent quarterback Nick Foles broke his collarbone during Week 1 when hit while throwing a touchdown, Minshew stepped in and split the team’s next eight games. When Foles floundered during the third game of his return, Minshew replaced him and closed the season’s final month with a 2-2 record.

Minshew’s finishing 6-6 mark, highlighted by three-game-winning drives, and leadership led the Jags to trade Foles to Chicago for a fourth-round pick despite being on the hook for $21 in guaranteed money.

While he is unlikely to follow the career trajectory fellow sixth-round pick Tom Brady did nearly 20 years ago, Minshew outperformed fellow 2019 rookies Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones — two of the draft’s top six selections.

Along the way, Minshew matured and improved where coaches had hoped to see.

“The one area that we have talked about before was ball security,” coach Doug Marrone said. “I thought that was an issue when he was playing early on and I think that’s something that he really did a good job of during the season and correcting that.”

The game before Marrone went back to Foles on Nov. 17, Minshew threw two interceptions during a 26-3 loss to AFC South foe Houston. After returning to the starting role, Minshew threw one pick the rest of the season.

He finished 2019 with just six interceptions against 21 touchdowns. Minshew, though, tied for second in the NFL with seven fumbles lost.

Looking to keep the mania going in 2020, Minshew is eager to clean up those mistakes.

“I have definitely made that a focus,” he said in early August. “More than anything, it’s just about awareness. Realizing how much faster these guys get on you, realizing when you have the ball in bad positions and trying to eliminate those as much as you can.

“I think more than anything it just shows I’m going to do everything I can to improve my game because the better I am the better the team’s going to be.”

58 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

He is set up for success this year.

Chark, Shenault, EIfert, Westbrook, Thompson, Conley, Cole...

bad D and RBs will set up a lot of passing opportunities 

Also, Jay Gruden QBs have had success in most years, aside from 2018 in Washington when Alex Smith was QB before getting hurt... 33 TDs from Dalton, the Cousins success, even last year before being Haskins came in, 7 TDs in 3 games from Keenum.

• Like 1

The more I look at Uncle Rico's sitch, the more I like him, especially in my start two QB league, as my 3rd......no more 2 yards and a cloud of dust with Fournette.....they will be behind most games......I see lots of footballs thrown over mountains.

Edited by Manster

Yeah going to try and call my shot here - I just don't think they're trying to tank. I think, like so many other teams, they're going to try their best to put their best team out there and compete. I think people are sleeping on Minshew big time. They have a bit of a clown show element to them but I really don't think they're playing the Tank for Trevor #### that everyone seems to say. Sometimes clubs are just mediocre. I think they'll be much better (on offense) than people think. 

• Like 2

I'm one of those that think that professional NFL teams have or will have an awfully hard time tanking. Look at Miami last year. They were supposedly so bad that 0-16 was a lock for them. They wound up winning enough to climb to only the fifth pick in the draft, and it could have been more if Preston Williams hadn't gotten hurt. I mean, they dumped Tunsil and Minkah and all they could muster, yet still wound up, while not average, a reasonable/passable football franchise.

Pro tip: Never sign Fitzmagic if you want to finish last. He's a poor man's Brett Favre, but when he's on, he'll win you at least two or three games because he chucks and ducks and runs. The Bengals, if they were indeed tanking, clearly knew what they had in Ryan Finley as their quarterback and they refused to let Andy Dalton and Mixon win a few games, appropriately switching to Ryan Finley to cement their status as bottom-dwellers. (Yes, I know Dalton came back in to start. It was too little too late. Or a stroke of genius. We'll never know.) My main point is that tanking takes a whole lot of circumstances and usually those suspected of tanking manage to win a few in football. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I'm one of those that think that professional NFL teams have or will have an awfully hard time tanking. Look at Miami last year. They were supposedly so bad that 0-16 was a lock for them. They wound up winning enough to climb to only the fifth pick in the draft, and it could have been more if Preston Williams hadn't gotten hurt. I mean, they dumped Tansil and Minkah and all they could muster, yet still wound up, while not average, a reasonable/passable football franchise.

Pro tip: Never sign Fitzmagic if you want to finish last. He's a poor man's Brett Favre, but when he's on, he'll win you at least two or three games because he chucks and ducks and runs. The Bengals, if they were indeed tanking, clearly knew what they had in Ryan Finley as their quarterback and they refused to let Andy Dalton and Mixon win a few games, appropriately switching to Ryan Finley to cement their status as bottom-dwellers. (Yes, I know Dalton came back in to start. It was too little too late. Or a stroke of genius. We'll never know.) My main point is that tanking takes a whole lot of circumstances and usually those suspected of tanking manage to win a few in football. 

Yes, and the nature of the sport is such that anything less than competing to win is a recipe for getting your ####### head broken.

3 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Yes, and the nature of the sport is such that anything less than competing to win is a recipe for getting your ####### head broken.

I agree. From the owners on down, you can't lead men to play on Sundays with the idea of tanking, IMHO. It's too brutal a sport on every play to ask players to tank and be successful at tanking without coming out seriously worse for wear.

• Like 2
Just now, rockaction said:

I agree. From the owners on down, you can't lead men to play on Sundays with the idea of tanking, IMHO. It's too brutal a sport on every play to ask players to tank and be successful at tanking without coming out seriously worse for wear.

Yep. GMs can tank and make moves that don't help the win column, but coaches and players just don't work that way. And I suspect less GMs are into that than most think.

• Like 1

I find it amusing too that apparently everyone thinks Fournette is mediocre, yet when they dump him it's 'tanking'. If he's so ordinary, it should have no impact. Trading Ronnie Harrison means nothing - he's a 'name' safety but fairly average. They've lost a handful of other players, most of whom will make not much difference. It's not like they have zero talent left either. 

I agree that they are going to be one of the worst teams in the NFL, mostly because they are too experienced, especially on defense. But I don't believe they're 'tanking'.

12 minutes ago, RushHour said:

I find it amusing too that apparently everyone thinks Fournette is mediocre, yet when they dump him it's 'tanking'. If he's so ordinary, it should have no impact.

I think there's a tacit admission there that the offense ran through Fournette and that as mediocre talent as he was, it was his performance keeping them in games. I watched a lot last year and don't concur, though Minshew looked a little lost from Houston on. I think the league adjusted to him. Let's see if he adjusts to their adjustment.

Top fantasy football targets ranked outside the top-150

Excerpt:

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS QB GARDNER MINSHEW

Minshew largely functioned as an average to above-average passer in everything other than raw completion percentage as a rookie:

Completion rate: 60.6% (No. 29 among 32 qualified QBs)

TD rate: 4.5% (No. 16)

INT rate: 1.3% (No. 8 )

QB rating: 91.2 (No. 16)

Yards per attempt: 7 (No. 18)

Adjusted yards per attempt: 7.3 (No. 13)

Adjusted net yards per attempt: 6.44 (No. 14)

QB rating kept clean: 96.7 (No. 25)

QB rating under pressure: 77.7 (No. 10)

QB rating throwing deep: 129 (No. 1)

That's right: Minshew was the only QB rated higher than Patrick Mahomes when throwing 20-plus yards downfield on a per-attempt basis. He also flashed similar improvisation skills on a number of occasions in 2019.

Minshew has the type of YOLO-ball attitude to draw comparisons to Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has been godsend for fantasy investors in recent seasons. The main difference is Minshew actually provides an elite rushing floor: Only Lamar Jackson (1,206 rush yards), Kyler Murray (544), Josh Allen (510) and Deshaun Watson (413) had more yards on the ground than Minshew (344) last season. This isn't to say that Minshew is the same-caliber threat on the ground as those other QBs; he literally picked up all of his rush yards on scrambles. Still, it's clear he's far from a statue under center.

There’s no reason for Minshew to be anyone’s starting QB in a single-QB re-draft format, but he’s a prime late-round option to utilize as a backup or QB2 in all other league sizes. Minshew is easy to root for and might just be a pretty damn good fantasy option as well — just listen to the man himself.

https://twitter.com/pff_fantasy/status/1298362141397913601?s=21

Edited by Faust
  • Like 1

Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew completed 19-of-20 passes for 173 yards and three scores, adding five carries for 19 yards in Jacksonville's 27-20 Week 1 upset over the Colts.

Trailing 20-17 with 6:04 remaining in the fourth quarter, Minshew extended the play outside of the pocket — a common theme on Sunday — and hit Keelan Cole (5/47/1) for the 22-yard go-ahead score over Indy. The second-year signal-caller was decisive in Week 1, hitting 10 different receivers and adding fantasy points with his legs. Sunday was arguably Minshew's toughest test for the next five games as the Jaguars prep to face the Titans, Dolphins, Bengals, Texans, and Lions through Week 6. He'll be a mid-range QB2 with rushing upside in Tennessee (and moving forward).

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

They really didn't run that many plays and only gained ~250 or so. But I've been saying all along this team is not tanking. I wish they showed more of this game on RedZone. I saw zero Robinson snaps until tonight when I searched (he looks good).

Colts ran a bazillion plays and Rivers threw for 363 and they ran for 88 more, so it would seem that game script is going to continue to favor Minshew for fantasy purposes. 19 for 20 is pretty not bad.

• Like 1

Gardner Minshew completed 30-of-45 passes for 339 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions in a Week 2 loss to the Titans.

Minshew struggled early with the Jaguars going down two scores. He rallied late to tie it in the fourth quarter with a touchdown to Chris Thompson. The Titans took the lead on back on a field goal and Minshew threw an interception that was tipped at the line on the final drive.  Minshew was less effective this week after throwing only one incompletion in the opener. Minshew has a 6:2 TD/INT ratio through two games. He's a streaming option for a Week 3 matchup against Miami. 

Sep 20, 2020, 4:26 PM ET