What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Tessitore - most boring announcer ever? (1 Viewer)

dbc925

Footballguy
Does anyone like this guy?  The only time he’s anything other than white bread milquetoast is when he tries to be cool (he isn’t), calling players by their nicknames - “Isn’t that right, Witt?”: “Pass down the middle to Nuk.”

It’s tough to stay awake.

I think he just tries to be too clever and emotional.  It feels contrived.

He is good on Holey Moley though.

He is the absolute worst.  Every player is great, every play is an amazing job by someone, every person is a wonderful human.  And just plug after plug for other ESPN programming.

His over the top delivery was at its best when they used to do the NYE Red Bull No Limits gimmicks.

Prefer watching a recorded version so I am mostly fast forwarding when the booger is chatting, but yes Tessatore is not good.

Yeah Tessatore is pretty damn bad and might be the worst announcer in Monday Night history. Booger doesn't bother me as much but he isn't much better.

I will argue tho that either of the two isn't the worst announcer if that's what you want to call him was when ABC in their infinite wisdom thought "yeah...let's hire Dennis Miller and put him in the booth Al Michaels and Dan Fouts"....ugggggg...so bad!!

It was uncomfortable to have to listen to his ridiculous rants and he seemingly knew nothing about football...just a horrific hire. Anyways, thankfully that experiment didn't last long. Maybe the ESPN head honchos can take a cue from that horrible hire of Miller and get a new team in the booth to replace this very weak duo of Tessatore and Booger....fingers crossed...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone like this guy?  The only time he’s anything other than white bread milquetoast is when he tries to be cool (he isn’t), calling players by their nicknames - “Isn’t that right, Witt?”: “Pass down the middle to Nuk.”

It’s tough to stay awake.
Fully agree.

And my fear, is that "Tess & Boog" goes back to "Tess, Wit, & Boog" in 2020.

I died when he told some story about his veteran cousin or whatever and Booger replied “well said Tess.....well said” in the most canned response I’ve ever heard in my life. You probably had to hear it but it was incredibly dumb. 

Some of you are too young to remember, but Gifford/Namath/OJ on MNF in the mid 80s was pretty bad. 

Yes, OJ was a broadcaster for a while after football but before the criminal life. And not a good one.

Quite the Russell Wilson for MVP campaign last night from Tess & The Booger... the red zone INT in OT kind of peed in the oatmeal for a few minures, but it picked right back up on the final drive.

"Russell Wilson comes in as the front-runner in the MVP race"

"Russell Wilson is the consensus mid-season MVP"

"Is there any doubt that Russell Wilson is the #1 choice for MVP to date"

Don't get me wrong, I like Russell Wilson as an MVP contender, but there are others, and a LOT of football to play out yet. Leave the politicking for your podcast. Even the ESPN animators got into it with the "Up" knock-off clip.

Quite the Russell Wilson for MVP campaign last night from Tess & The Booger... the red zone INT in OT kind of peed in the oatmeal for a few minures, but it picked right back up on the final drive.

"Russell Wilson comes in as the front-runner in the MVP race"

"Russell Wilson is the consensus mid-season MVP"

"Is there any doubt that Russell Wilson is the #1 choice for MVP to date"

Don't get me wrong, I like Russell Wilson as an MVP contender, but there are others, and a LOT of football to play out yet. Leave the politicking for your podcast. Even the ESPN animators got into it with the "Up" knock-off clip.
Don't worry, they have Mahomes next week.

These guys constantly say sentences that either don't mean what they think they do, or don't mean anything at all.

I realize the bar is pretty low for network commentary but ay caramba.

Yeah, I especially enjoyed the "Russell Wilson is an MVP candidate" talk as they showed his grand total of 86 passing yards on the screen.

Tess is great. He's terrible on MNF, but I don't think that's a Tess issue. Similar reasons McDonough didn't work. ESPN wants them to be something they're not.

So glad to watch games with the sound off.  Doesn't sound like I'm missing much with the Booger & Joe show.

I don't like Tessitore, but I like Booger.  Hated him when he was out in the stands, but I've grown to like him now that he's the guy.  His insight isn't great, but he's kind of fun and funny.  

I am probably the only person in the world who liked the Dennis Miller experiment. He said of Bears Coach Lovie Smith "he spent most of the 1960s married to Jim Backus."     

My main issue with MNF is that the booth seems so ordinary, like Tessitore/Booger just wound up there via process of elimination.

I know they’ve made a run at Peyton...I wonder if perhaps they make another run at him this off-season with the thought of pairing him with Eli?  They’d obviously need to replace Tessitore, but that’d be a booth that at least would produce some buzz and the banter/insight from the brothers could be real compelling.

My main issue with MNF is that the booth seems so ordinary, like Tessitore/Booger just wound up there via process of elimination.

I know they’ve made a run at Peyton...I wonder if perhaps they make another run at him this off-season with the thought of pairing him with Eli?  They’d obviously need to replace Tessitore, but that’d be a booth that at least would produce some buzz and the banter/insight from the brothers could be real compelling.
Didn't know they were after Peyton. I absolutely love listening to Tirico on PBP. Him and Peyton on color would be the dream football team. Shame ESPN let him go.

I don't like Tessitore, but I like Booger.  Hated him when he was out in the stands, but I've grown to like him now that he's the guy.  His insight isn't great, but he's kind of fun and funny.  

I am probably the only person in the world who liked the Dennis Miller experiment. He said of Bears Coach Lovie Smith "he spent most of the 1960s married to Jim Backus."     
I loved when Dennis Miller was in the booth. Since half the MNF match-ups pretty much stink, it provided some form of entertainment.

The scripted laughs in the back round by Booger in situations where nobody watching is laughing drives me nuts. Tess is a JAG at best. Also Booger with his "I love, I love, I love" about everything is annoying. 

Is this just a situation where they know people are gonna watch no matter what so why invest in a quality broadcast team? MNF used to have a classy feel to it. I used to look forward to hearing the MNF music and then the transition to the announcers who helped to create a bigger feel to the game. We have gone from Michaels and Gifford to Booger and Tess.

I do have a theory. Movies in theatres are not nearly as good as they used to be. I believe this is because the movie making talent has been spread thin due to all of the channels like Hulu, Netflix, Prime etc. Similarly, The broadcasting talent has been spread thin with all of the games being televised now. That being said, certainly they can do better than what they have now. I'm starting to think they just don't care.

I loved when Dennis Miller was in the booth. Since half the MNF match-ups pretty much stink, it provided some form of entertainment.
I appreciated the outside the box thinking regarding Miller, but two reasons I don’t think he worked (and in general an entertainer) were...

1)  Miller’s schtick has always been long-winded.  I think it fit poorly in a game where your observations and commentary need to be succinct.  So in addition to sometimes having to ‘wait for it’...it threw the rhythm of the entire booth off.

2).  I also think the PBP & color guys feel compelled to find the entertainer ‘funny’...so the laughter feels reheasred/canned...which makes the entertainer seem even less funny.

Hate to admit it as my ire was super strong towards Booger last year, but have to agree, he's shifted a little and is actually entertaining these last few weeks. Started with his lambasting the refs a few weeks ago. But I think this just might be that compared to Tessitore, a month-old rotting corpse propped up in the booth would seem more entertaining by comparison.

I liked Miller too -- it was definitely an experiment, but he did bring some game knowledge to the table and had great energy and enthusiasm. To be clear -- we seem to ALWAYS hate on the broadcasters, no matter who it is (I mean outside of Cosell, Romo, and IMO Al Michaels, they are all replaceable and seem to get on everyone's nerves). 

But @TheDirtyWord nailed it -- wasn't so much Miller's thoughts as it was the different cadence from the normal broadcast approach. It was appreciated, but definitely stood out and may have been more disruptive in getting others in the flow they are used to.

I'm not a typical basher of broadcast teams but these guys are so horrendous I can't help myself.  You guys have nailed pretty much EVERYTHING wrong with this crew (see what I did there?).  But Booger especially drives me crazy when he says something that contracts something else he said earlier.  For example, he bashed M. Rudolph for poor decision making against the Dolphins for the entire first half.  Then as they came back from half time he says he liked the way Rudolph played in the first half.  :crazy:  

Also, just found this article bashing Booger and it made me :lol:  

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/10/01/booger-mcfarland-espn-monday-night-football-praises-bengals-zac-taylor

My top 10 Best football announcers of all time:  Limiting this to play-by-play, not color commenting. 

#1 - Ray Scott

#2 - Lindsey Nelson

#3 - Curt Gowdy

#4 - Charlie Jones

#5 - **** Enberg

#6 - Marv Albert

#7 - Al Michaels

#8 - Keith Jackson

#9 - Frank Gifford

#10 - Verne Lundquist

My top 10 Best football announcers of all time:  Limiting this to play-by-play, not color commenting. 

#1 - Ray Scott

#2 - Lindsey Nelson

#3 - Curt Gowdy

#4 - Charlie Jones

#5 - **** Enberg

#6 - Marv Albert

#7 - Al Michaels

#8 - Keith Jackson

#9 - Frank Gifford

#10 - Verne Lundquist
No Pat Summerall?

Not in my top 10.  I thought he was rather boring and possibly drunk most of the time.  I never really favored CBS announcers.
Fair enough...loved Summerall’s voice.  Felt his presence alone gave the game an extra measure of gravitas, not to mention playing off Madden, giving him room to roam.

Also no Cosell...

Fair enough...loved Summerall’s voice.  Felt his presence alone gave the game an extra measure of gravitas, not to mention playing off Madden, giving him room to roam.

Also no Cosell...
Cosell wasn't play-by-play most of the time.  I loved him as a color commentator however.  I loved his voice.

Best voice ever for football was NFL Films John Facenda. 

My favorite wasn't a MNF guy other thanradio,  Frank Buck per Wiki:

Buck served as the CBS Radio voice of Monday Night Football (teaming with Hank Stram) for nearly two decades (1978–1984 and again from 1987–1995 after CBS regained the radio rights from NBC). Ironically, in 1970 ABC's Roone Arledge had asked via telephone about Buck's interests in becoming the first television play-by-play announcer for Monday Night Football, but because of personal animosity surrounding his previous stint with the network, Buck would not return their phone call. (The television play-by-play role would go to Keith Jackson instead, and later to Buck's CBS colleague, Frank Gifford.)

In addition to MNF, Buck called numerous playoff games for CBS Radio, including 17 Super Bowls (the most of any announcer).

Also no Cosell...
Even though I didn't care for Summerall as an  announcer, I did enjoy watching him and Tom Brookshier on "This week in Pro Football", hosted every Sunday morning in the late 60s and early 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread