What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (2 Viewers)

This was my impression from reading his opening remarks:

Kyle Cheney@kyledcheney ·1m

SPEIER says Sondland has been a “mixed bag” and she isn’t sure lawmakers can trust him. She said his opening statement was “a lot of CYA.”

Ttump directed Sondland to work with his attorney,  Giuliani, as a precondition of a presidential meeting.  There's the quid.

Trump's attorney said they needed to investigate Biden as part of the "anti corruption".  That's the pro quo. 

So there's three angles Trump can take

1 acknowledge the quid but deny the pro quo.  "We never specifically said they had to dig up dirt on Biden."

2 deny that it was a precondition. "Sondland is lying! "

3 deny that the president was the one who wanted dirt on Biden. "I never asked for that, it was Giuliani!"

None of these holds any kind of water but my guess is they go with 3 and throw Giuliani under the bus, but also try to compel him not to testify and try to give him a pardon for denying participation in an unlawful witch hunt.  

So Mulvaney is giving a press conference right now and is saying that the "investigations" they wanted Ukraine to pursue were about the DNC server, not Joe Biden. WHY THE %$%#$% do these reporters not ask him what server and WTF he is talking about??? It's like they just accept that there is a server investigation in Ukraine that is happening.

So Mulvaney is giving a press conference right now and is saying that the "investigations" they wanted Ukraine to pursue were about the DNC server, not Joe Biden. WHY THE %$%#$% do these reporters not ask him what server and WTF he is talking about??? It's like they just accept that there is a server investigation in Ukraine that is happening.
Also, how is "We pressured Ukraine to investigate a rival political party" any better than "We pressured Ukraine to investigate a rival political party's candidate"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mulvaney just straight up admitted that they withheld Ukraine aid for investigations into what happened in 2016 there.

Mulvaney just straight up admitted that they withheld Ukraine aid for investigations into what happened in 2016 there.
In that Mulvaney presser, Trump's Ukraine call defense went from "no quid pro quo" to "hell yeah, quid pro quo, get over it" in the blink of an eye.

I take it back. 

They will probably go with option 4 - it doesn't matter if there was quid pro quo because the president is allowed to do whatever he wants.  

And that's a big political risk because they've been inundating their supporters with "there was no quid pro quo" until now, and those people have been parroting that message. By changing the message, some non zero portion of trump supporters will finally realize that something is not right. A lot won't.  But they're not going to acknowledge that there should be any consequences. 

In that Mulvaney presser, Trump's Ukraine call defense went from "no quid pro quo" to "hell yeah, quid pro quo, get over it" in the blink of an eye.
They must have gotten word that there’s no way to avoid admitting to quid pro quo, so they’re making what they think is a better reason. If this is the best they have, it’s gonna get ugly for everyone involved.

I take it back. 

They will probably go with option 4 - it doesn't matter if there was quid pro quo because the president is allowed to do whatever he wants.  

And that's a big political risk because they've been inundating their supporters with "there was no quid pro quo" until now, and those people have been parroting that message. By changing the message, some non zero portion of trump supporters will finally realize that something is not right. A lot won't.  But they're not going to acknowledge that there should be any consequences. 
Honestly, I think the near entirety of the non zero portion has all but moved on. You have die hards that believe every lie (or are simply ok with lying in general, at least from the POTUS), support every position (including those that he waffles and changes on... they waffle and change in lockstep), and follow him like lemmings off the cliff.

I take it back. 

Trump has been pulling the rug out from under his supporters for 4 years now. It has had zero effect on his support.

They support him because of who he represents, not because of what he does.

Honestly, I think the near entirety of the non zero portion has all but moved on. You have die hards that believe every lie (or are simply ok with lying in general, at least from the POTUS), support every position (including those that he waffles and changes on... they waffle and change in lockstep), and follow him like lemmings off the cliff.
Among presidential voters?  Maybe. But the more relevant population might be voters in close Senate races. 

Yesterday the current President of the United States accused his predecessor of being behind the hidden server affair. Without anyone challenging him on evidence on why he believes that and which he certainly doesn't have. Think about that?  I'm struggling to recall a President calling a former President a criminal without any evidence.

Can you imagine - Obama could have easily called Bush and Cheney war criminals - and had actual evidence to back up the claim at least for an investigation. How the country would have exploded if Obama had done such a thing.

Yesterday? Crickets.

Among presidential voters?  Maybe. But the more relevant population might be voters in close Senate races. 
The problem is that they have to be worried about primaries before they worry about their general elections. Public sentiment would have to move a lot before any Republican Senator risks being primaried for being too supportive of Trump.

For Trump to be removed, I almost think we have to count on Republican Senators to sacrifice their political capital in order to do the right thing.

Some will. (Some have.) But how many?

Mulvaney says the media should be ashamed of themselves for even asking these questions. 
"You think we're going to give you an honest answer and admit that the President is a criminal? You should be ashamed of yourselves."*

*Disclaimer: Not an actual quote (at least not out loud).

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1 · 27m

Mick Mulvaney acknowledges that Trump held up Ukraine aid partly over a conspiracy theory involving the 2016 election. "We do that all the time," he said. "Get over it. There's going to be political influence in foreign policy."

:lmao:

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned

Mick Mulvaney acknowledges that Trump held up Ukraine aid partly over a conspiracy theory involving the 2016 election. "We do that all the time," he said. "Get over it. There's going to be political influence in foreign policy."

This is arguably sociopathic. These guys have no idea what crime is.

Can anyone explain why the $250 million that was approved by congress swelled to $450 million in aid to Ukraine? I mean, we held up $250 million because we were worried about corruption, then release almost double that amount. Where/why did the $200 million extra get added?

• Thanks
Reactions: Ned
The problem is that they have to be worried about primaries before they worry about their general elections. Public sentiment would have to move a lot before any Republican Senator risks being primaried for being too supportive of Trump.

For Trump to be removed, I almost think we have to count on Republican Senators to sacrifice their political capital in order to do the right thing.

Some will. (Some have.) But how many?
In my opinion, that's exactly why McConnell just said he wants to get this done by the end of the year. And that's the calculus Pelosi has to weigh against the possible backlash of this going into the Democrats races.  The longer the house waits to bring this to the Senate, the less sway McConnell and trump have from the threat of primaries, and the more those senators have to worry about the general elections. Everything Pelosi and the Democrats are doing right now is to change public sentiment and put pressure on those senators to break from trump and McConnell.  It's the only way this happens in the Senate.  

Can anyone explain why the $250 million that was approved by congress swelled to $450 million in aid to Ukraine? I mean, we held up $250 million because we were worried about corruption, then release almost double that amount. Where/why did the $200 million extra get added?
I'll propose something and I don't think it's been discussed much in the media or here but I'll give it a shot. If you look at the news from the Ukraine angle a big deal that happened almost immediately after Zelensky left the White House on his personal visit was Ukraine accepted a long rejected Kremlin crafted armistice/peace deal. It's possible the extra money was a sweetener to make that happen. The Javelins and such are almost window dressing considering what just happened there. And Trump flatly and blankly said 'I had to say that' when he awkwardly interjected that Zelensky would (!) have to deal with Putin. - The peace deal has been extremely controversial, and hated by many, and it's not really clear why else that extra 250 mill would be needed or come in. No idea past this.

New Defense!!

"If the President does it - its legal and appropriate"
Shtick aside - Trump/Mulvaney just gave his loyal senator's cover with their base, when they vote to acquit despite obvious impeachable offenses.

Trump's base will take this to mean - this is normal behavior, and not impeachable.

Osama Bin Laden is more trustworthy then Trump.  Can anyone argue against that?

Not saying i think Bin Laden is a better person.  Just that he is more trustworthy.

I would buy a used car from Bin Laden before Trump.

The problem is you guys just change your definition of wrongdoing to whatever is one step beyond what the president did, and then when that new definition is hit you one-up to something one step higher and pretend like that first thing is totally normal.

@apalmer is completely right.  If irrefutable evidence came out that a quid pro quo was involved you would just move one level up, pretend that a quid pro quo is totally normal there, and say "well it's not like he <insert new higher level of wrong-doing here>".

Trump has said as much himself with the whole 5th ave quote.  He knows he has you guys wrapped around his finger to the point where nothing he can do would lose you because you will always just make excuses for him.  Though I do admit this strategy of normalizing egregious behavior and focusing the public on one level higher of corruption every time is a pretty good one.

The quid pro quo is not necessary here.  The wrongdoing occurred even without it.  But the Trump admin knows all they need to do is focus public opinion on something worse and it will give his senate lapdogs enough to deflect to in order to avoid voting for impeachment.  If the quid pro quo came out they would simply redirect to something one step worse and pretend the quid pro quo was normal and a part of his duty in defending the country or some nonsense, and you would eat it up.
I am excited to see what's next.

Mr. Mulvaney can you please tell us more about these other times you’ve done this.  How many other crimes would you like to confess?

So after all that....he just went ahead and admitted it, huh.

I'm sure there's all kinds of concrete evidence to support it so they figured might as well get ahead of it now.

These guys are so bad at being crooks.
They must not be that bad, they keep getting away with it.

Jim Acosta

@Acosta

Trump outside attorney Jay Sekulow to CNN: "The legal team was not involved in the Acting Chief of Staff's press briefing."

3:31 PM · Oct 17, 2019·Twitter Web App
Beep...Beep....Beep....Beep.

Gonna need a bigger bus

So this is the new argument I’ve been reading and hearing: 

The President can conduct foreign policy in any way he chooses. He can start deals, hold up deals, do whatever he wants. He can use whomever he wants; it doesn’t need to be the State Department. He can pursue whatever interests he thinks are important, including political interests. None of this is illegal; the Constitution grants him these powers. If we are unhappy with how the President handles foreign policy, the correct remedy is to elect someone else. But since no crime was involved, there is no impeachable offense. 

What’s the best way to refute this argument? 

Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins ·58m

Wow. A senior DOJ official tells @evanperez, “If the White House was withholding aid in regards to the cooperation of any investigation at the Department of Justice, that is news to us.”

So this is the new argument I’ve been reading and hearing: 

The President can conduct foreign policy in any way he chooses. He can start deals, hold up deals, do whatever he wants. He can use whomever he wants; it doesn’t need to be the State Department. He can pursue whatever interests he thinks are important, including political interests. None of this is illegal; the Constitution grants him these powers. If we are unhappy with how the President handles foreign policy, the correct remedy is to elect someone else. But since no crime was involved, there is no impeachable offense. 

What’s the best way to refute this argument? 
Probably ignoring the person who said it?  Because they aren’t likely to agree with what you say to refute it.

Re-writing history:

Zoe Tillman@ZoeTillman

Mick Mulvaney said today that the White House contacted DOJ "almost immediately" after Trump's July 25 call with the Ukrainian president to have them look at the transcript. DOJ spox says they were first "made aware of the transcript in mid-August."

Following up on this, DOJ spox made clear DOJ was first made aware of Trump's call with Zelensky, not just about the existence of a written record (the transcript, which isn't a verbatim transcript but is often referred to as a "transcript"), in mid-August

I think it speaks well of the legal profession that no matter his differences with Trump and the Trump Administration - George Conway still provides quality legal advice:

George Conway @gtconway3d · 19m

Mulvaney should have just stood up there and taken the Fifth.

Users who are viewing this thread