What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (12 Viewers)

Sen Collins, Sen Romney and Sen Murkowski. Nice 75 mph fastball you served up to the White House
From MSNBC legal contributor, former federal prosecutor and U of Alabama law professor, Joyce Alene:

Joyce Alene‏ @JoyceWhiteVance 6m6 minutes ago

First question is from Collins, Murkowski & Romney. They ask, if Trump had more than one motive-ie legitimate motives & illegitimate ones-for seeking a “favor” from Zelensky, how should Senators consider that in their deliberations?

This is a deceptively tricky question. We don’t know Trump’s motives because we haven’t heard from witnesses close to him. It highlights the need to hear testimony about what he was thinking from those in his orbit. This, of course, isn’t part of the answer Trump’s lawyers give.

Trump’s answer is that if he had any permissible motive, no matter what additional motives, even corrupt ones, he had, he can’t be convicted. Also, they say abuse of the public trust isn’t impeachable. Hamilton rolls over in his grave.

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1222586478712279040

Q: "Is there any way for the Senate to render a fully informed verdict in this case without hearing the testimony of Bolton, Nulvaney, and the other key eye witnesses ...?"

Schiff: "The short answer to that question is no. There's no way to have a fair trial without witnesses."

Q: "So that the record is accurate, did house impeachment investigators ask Mr. Bolton to testify?"

Schiff: "Senators, the answer is yes. Of course we asked John Bolton to testify in the House. And he refused."

They ("House and White House managers") all know the questions being asked by their party correct? (And trying to guess what questions will be asked by the opposing party).

Last edited by a moderator:
Involved yes. You don't think spreading lies and false information isn't being involved?
Alright! Please accept my heartfelt thanks for identifying yourself as just being here on a fishing trip. Shortens the amount of time it takes to dismiss your " contributions" to the thread. 

This is a joke on both sides.  Both giving their own side a chance to hit softballs and re-make points they've made. 

They ("managers") all know the questions being asked by their party correct? (And trying to guess what questions will be asked by the opposing party).
Almost assuredly.

I'm guessing The House managers and the Defense counsel wrote most of the questions.  They wrote questions to emphasize the points they felt important.  They also tried to anticipate questions that the other side would ask--and had questions to be asked so they could argue with the answers to those questions.

Gardner announces he opposes witnesses. 

GOODBYE, COREY! 
There was an article yesterday that Gardner, and also Tillis and McSally, three Senators who were supposed to be Maybe's, were instead actually lobbying fellow Senators not to vote for witnesses. Why... I guess because 1. Trump, 2. the head on pikes threat from Trump, and 3. Trump - like with Van Drew last night - is offering Maga support in fundraising for those who proxy for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
They ("managers") all know the questions being asked by their party correct? (And trying to guess what questions will be asked by the opposing party).
Most likely. I believe that the questions go to the leaders and they are the ones that decide the questions and order. I imagine they are sharing them with their side.

Yep. And some of these questions are absolutely asinine. And so far, not a single challenging question.
 I worry that none of them will be.

Let's switch it up.  Democratic Senators:  Ask the Defense questions.  Republicans:  Let's ask the House managers something. 

I was really excited for this--no more of lawyers dragging on and on.  But, so far it's just prompts to allow the lawyers to drag on and on.

The very first question asked by Collins, Romney, and Murkowski, was the most telling and problematic. It sure sounds to me like this is how the "moderate" Republicans are going to explain away acquittal: "OK sure his motives might have been bad, but there was also the possibility that they were good too. And we can never know- no witness, not even Bolton, can ever tell us FULLY what was in the President's mind, and so....we can't justify removing him."

The very first question asked by Collins, Romney, and Murkowski, was the most telling and problematic. It sure sounds to me like this is how the "moderate" Republicans are going to explain away acquittal: "OK sure his motives might have been bad, but there was also the possibility that they were good too. And we can never know- no witness, not even Bolton, can ever tell us FULLY what was in the President's mind, and so....we can't justify removing him."
2-3% of the 75% might buy that argument.

Let's switch it up.  Democratic Senators:  Ask the Defense questions.  Republicans:  Let's ask the House managers something. 

I was really excited for this--no more of lawyers dragging on and on.  But, so far it's just prompts to allow the lawyers to drag on and on.
I'm almost sure that none of them will be.

From the beginning of this process there has been no debate between the two sides. They talk past each other. The Senators listen to their own side and really aren't paying attention when the other side is talking (unless there is something said they find offensive.)

I believe they expect some this in the questioning. Like the GOP asking Schiff what he knew and when. Then likely Democrats asking questions to Dershowitz and Starr about their defense arguments.

Ken Dilanian‏Verified account @KenDilanianNBC 7m7 minutes ago

From @PeteWilliamsNBC: Despite what Patrick Philbin says on behalf of the White House lawyers, there is no standard of proof in a Senate impeachment trial, nor are there any rules of evidence.

Pete adds: Neither the Constitution nor the history of impeachments provides any standard. As the Congressional Research Service concluded, “Individual senators are guided by their own consciences.

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1222594647215747074

Wait- a question for both sides. And it's a completely uninformed question. Trump has never once raised executive privilege.
Hakeem Jeffries:

"We did not challenge any claims related to executive privilege because, as the president's own counsel admitted during this trial, the president never raised the question of executive privilege. What the president did raise was this notion of blanket defiance."

Hey guys, I will take on the task of putting together a trial exhibit book and summary of the evidence.  Just so we have it all in one place.

Here you go:

No need to thank me.

The amazing thing is that there’s 75% of the country that want witnesses. There’s very few things that 75% of the country agrees on. If that number holds true and witnesses aren’t called there’s going to be a lot of angry people when even more bombshells drop that would have been revealed in witness testimony. It might even be better if they allow the witnesses then vote to acquit.

With regard to the legitimate and lawful hold on aid, anti-corruption and burden sharing, what occurred to lift the hold and release aid?

The arguments of why all this was on the up and up seem to center around a generic “we didn’t do that, but if we did it was because of X”, but X never seems to get a proper resolution 

Is Dershowitz seriously arguing that since all Presidents believe that their own reelection is in the national interest that there can be nothing wrong with using their office to affect their reelection because they believe it is in the national interest?

Users who are viewing this thread