What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (3 Viewers)

So no witnesses and a quick acquittal. That was the first part of my prediction, the easy part. 

The more important part of my prediction, the hard part, is that the public remembers this going into November, and the initial celebratory mood Republicans feel this weekend will dissipate into uneasiness as they know they allowed this guy to get away with it. And a lot of them will stay home. But we’ll see.  
But between acquittal and November, our dear leader will be able to marshall the forces of Russia, China, you name it, to help him win the election. No need for covert action, he’ll have a blank check. I don’t know how to quantify the effect of whatever kind of election assistance he’s going to be able to muster but it might be enough to swing some key states. Free and fair elections? That’s so quaint. 

But between acquittal and November, our dear leader will be able to marshall the forces of Russia, China, you name it, to help him win the election. No need for covert action, he’ll have a blank check. I don’t know how to quantify the effect of whatever kind of election assistance he’s going to be able to muster but it might be enough to swing some key states. Free and fair elections? That’s so quaint. 
That parts true. He can do what he wants now, break any law with impunity. What’s to stop him? 

I can’t imagine the absolute disgrace the State of the Union will be. Republicans giving President Trump a standing ovation when he enters the room? 

Her head on a pike? Who said that?  Did somebody threaten her?
I’m sure you’re very much aware where that phrase comes from. And it’s in keeping with how President Trump has been willing to destroy any Republican who defies his wishes. 

Donald Trump is now the most powerful person in the entire history of the Republican Party. It wasn’t a difficult conquest. In 4 short years he has simply taken over. He’s faced no opposition in doing so. 

I can’t imagine the absolute disgrace the State of the Union will be. Republicans giving President Trump a standing ovation when he enters the room? 
He who laughs last ... I agree the lack of witnesses and the likely disclosure of more QPQ evidence against Trump will hurt those Senators in the long run. I'm hoping our highly popular Secretary of Agriculture (3rd highest role in the state) , Nikki Fried, mounts a campaign against Rubio in 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyhow I predicted it but it’s still infuriating. They’re letting him get away with it. They’re not even allowing witnesses. The United States Senate. They’ve dishonored themselves. 
So now they go from around 20% favorable down to maybe under 10%?

So now that Dershowitz says a President can do everything he wants because his personal interests are the public interest, where does it become unacceptable?  Is it now acceptable to directly and openly coordinate with Russia to run a disinformation campaign to smear a political rival?
This is the worst excuse I’ve ever heard and I’ve been teaching junior high for 24 years.

It looks like the unitary executive means something a bit different than I thought it did. I assumed it was a form of constitutional monarchy. It seems to be simply a textual reading of the first lines of Article II. I guess I've always conflated the two, though they may walk hand in hand.

What is stunning is that they indeed have gone to monarchical powers. That beggars belief, both in political hubris and in scholarship.

I’m sure you’re very much aware where that phrase comes from. And it’s in keeping with how President Trump has been willing to destroy any Republican who defies his wishes. 

Donald Trump is now the most powerful person in the entire history of the Republican Party. It wasn’t a difficult conquest. In 4 short years he has simply taken over. He’s faced no opposition in doing so. 
Actually I'm not sure.  That's why I'm asking.

Also, I think you're way over exaggerating with Trump and the Republican party.  Seems to be a pattern with those who don't like Trump. It gets amped up every week The next thing you know he's killing babies and blowing up the world.

It looks like the unitary executive means something a bit different than I thought it did. I assumed it was a form of constitutional monarchy. It seems to be simply a textual reading of the first lines of Article II. I guess I've always conflated the two, though they may walk hand in hand.

What is stunning is that they indeed have gone to monarchical powers. That beggars belief, both in political hubris and in scholarship.
I see a lot of people saying this. Why is this surprising for the Trump administration to argue?

Interesting article. I wonder if we'll ever know who this Trump confidant is.
Does it matter? We have a pretty long history over the past several years of Trump’s tweets and statements so much so that we know already that whoever it is, they’re merely imitating the guy in charge. 

I see a lot of people saying this. Why is this surprising for the Trump administration to argue?
Good point. I suppose if I was in the position he was in, I'd want people to believe what he is arguing.

I guess hearing the Dershowitz arguments was like a cold slap, really. 

In retrospect nearly all of Nancy Pelosi’s decisions from the beginning of this affair look pretty brilliant. She knew from the start that any impeachment would lead to an acquittal in the Senate; her goal therefore was not to remove Trump (impossible) but to damage both Trump and the Republicans so badly that they would not recover by November. This seems to be a pretty good bet. Her master stroke was to withhold the articles of impeachment for nearly 3 weeks in order to put before the public the issues of witnesses and a fair trial. This she has succeeded to do and McConnell has fallen right into her trap. The public is not going to like this cover up at all. 

Of course Pelosi could still lose this situation: progressives inside her party might force a Bernie Sanders nomination which would effectively upend everything she’s achieved here. Or something else unexpected might occur. But her strategy has been quite solid. 

I guess hearing the Dershowitz arguments was like a cold slap, really. 
Richard Nixon essentially made the same argument in 1975 in his first David Frost interview: “I have always held that if the President does it it is not against the law.” But at the time nobody took him seriously. 

Dems need to run Dershowitz words in ever Senate race across the country. Say this is what your Republican Senator supported. Flood the airwaves.
“With the impeachment trial over without even calling witnesses, Senator x wouldn’t do the bare minimum to protect the country against Donald Trump. Why would he/she ever do anything to protect you?”

Threw up in my mouth a little bit. It will be interesting if he can get through the speech without more dementia slurring. Glitched out again last night at a rally. I have my doubts if he can stand the stress of another campaign. Incredibly hard work even for a healthy person. 

Threw up in my mouth a little bit. It will be interesting if he can get through the speech without more dementia slurring. Glitched out again last night at a rally. I have my doubts if he can stand the stress of another campaign. Incredibly hard work even for a healthy person. 
From the way that Clinton, W, and Obama aged during their presidencies, I think being President is more stress than campaigning, but maybe Trump is immune to that because he doesn't read anything or think critically very often.

In retrospect nearly all of Nancy Pelosi’s decisions from the beginning of this affair look pretty brilliant. She knew from the start that any impeachment would lead to an acquittal in the Senate; her goal therefore was not to remove Trump (impossible) but to damage both Trump and the Republicans so badly that they would not recover by November. This seems to be a pretty good bet. Her master stroke was to withhold the articles of impeachment for nearly 3 weeks in order to put before the public the issues of witnesses and a fair trial. This she has succeeded to do and McConnell has fallen right into her trap. The public is not going to like this cover up at all. 

Of course Pelosi could still lose this situation: progressives inside her party might force a Bernie Sanders nomination which would effectively upend everything she’s achieved here. Or something else unexpected might occur. But her strategy has been quite solid. 
Why is the three weeks significant?  

From the way that Clinton, W, and Obama aged during their presidencies, I think being President is more stress than campaigning, but maybe Trump is immune to that because he doesn't read anything or think critically very often.
Zumba should be part of the Presidential Fitness Test. Not sure if that's even a thing any more but it should be.  Their calves would be KA-POW! 

Actually I'm not sure.  That's why I'm asking.

Also, I think you're way over exaggerating with Trump and the Republican party.  Seems to be a pattern with those who don't like Trump. It gets amped up every week The next thing you know he's killing babies and blowing up the world.
He would likely still have a 90% approval rating with Republicans

No offense Tim, but this reads like a HUGE stretch to try and find some sort of silver lining in a fiasco that doesn't have one and clearly didn't have one from the beginning.  It's now a "master stroke" to "withhold" the articles over Christmas break when  no one was there anyway?  This was ALWAYS going to come down to the people holding our politicians accountable at the ballot box.  It's the only group left with any semblance of integrity left and even that is waning.  NONE of her actions change that reality.  It's absolutely absurd from my POV is that the Democrats have not been pounding this message of "If things go as planned, Congress has failed you and you need to get out and vote in November to make it right" for the last several months.  Should have started the minute Trump instructed anyone and everyone to not cooperate with the investigation.

No offense Tim, but this reads like a HUGE stretch to try and find some sort of silver lining in a fiasco that doesn't have one and clearly didn't have one from the beginning.  It's not a "master stroke" to "withhold" the articles over Christmas break when  no one was there anyway?  This was ALWAYS going to come down to the people holding our politicians accountable at the ballot box.  It's the only group left with any semblance of integrity left and even that is waning.  NONE of her actions change that reality.  It's absolutely absurd from my POV is that the Democrats have not been pounding this message of "If things go as planned, Congress has failed you and you need to get out and vote in November to make it right" for the last several months.  Should have started the minute Trump instructed anyone and everyone to not cooperate with the investigation.
I mostly agree but I think the impeachment has brought to light just how corrupt Trump is and how the GOP congress and senate turn a blind eye to it.   As someone that has voted for Republicans for President, senate and congress numerous times in the past I can tell you that will not vote for another in a national election for at least 8-10 years until this current crop are all or mostly gone.   

I have no idea how they can sleep at night.

Assuming no witnesses and acquittal, it seems like Trump could continue to send people like Rudy or whoever else he comes up with to any country we give aid to and extort whatever he feels. Rudy never stopped what he was doing anyway, so now what? What a precedent, regardless of who is in power.

How about if Biden becomes president, can he then withhold arms to Saudi Arabia unless they investigate Jared Kushner and make public any information they might have hacked off his phone?

What if SA had said info and coordinated its release thru the Washington post to help Biden (for whatever reason.) And Hunter meets with some saudis thst are offering dirt.

They age poorly because of all the corruption they are leading, knowing that they are a slip up from prison. Trump doesn't have that problem, as evidence by the fact that he looks the same as the day he won.

I mostly agree but I think the impeachment has brought to light just how corrupt Trump is and how the GOP congress and senate turn a blind eye to it.   As someone that has voted for Republicans for President, senate and congress numerous times in the past I can tell you that will not vote for another in a national election for at least 8-10 years until this current crop are all or mostly gone.   

I have no idea how they can sleep at night.
It's definitely been an illustration in corruption.  The question has always been "will people care?"  In all the polling well over 80% of the country made up their minds before impeachment ever started.  During this entire fiasco, those numbers didn't change all that much.  And I am sad to say, if someone doesn't already have an opinion one way or the other by now, I doubt they are paying attention to ANY of what's going on to make up their minds.  They will most likely be deciding on policy direction and the like.  Perhaps I am wrong.  There's no question the actions here will make fantastic political commercials.  My question is, will the DNC be organized enough and be able to provide a single coherent message enough to utilize the events?  We'll see.  I've been able to vote since 1992 and this will be the first time I ever vote for a Democrat for President.  I've been a third party voter til now.  

They age poorly because of all the corruption they are leading, knowing that they are a slip up from prison. Trump doesn't have that problem, as evidence by the fact that he looks the same as the day he won.
I really don’t understand the supporter who is incapable of criticizing his candidate. Maybe you have somewhere and I have just missed it, but your posts (that I’ve read) are  100% Trump can do no wrong. 

For those putting in the work to be President, sure.  But let's be honest, all he's really been doing is campaigning since he took office.  Well, that and golfing.  And I am NOT complaining about that.  I am very thankful that the only thing he got accomplished with complete control was the tax bill.  It could have been significantly worse if he knew what he was doing.

I really don’t understand the supporter who is incapable of criticizing his candidate. Maybe you have somewhere and I have just missed it, but your posts (that I’ve read) are  100% Trump can do no wrong. 
It amazes me that someone can hear and see all of the evidence and come to the conclusion this president hasn't done some shady things.  Even if you feel it was justified and/or doesn't rise to the level for impeachment it is beyond me how anyone can believe that Trump's actions were entirely above board.

It is like we live in a bizarro world where lies=truth, corruption=integrity.

He may also not be so great with looking at possible consequences of actions

Looks like some of the excitement today will be Rand Paul trying to name the whistleblower. He reported submitted a question last night to Roberts but Roberts wouldn’t read the question. Rand said he would pursue today. 

Users who are viewing this thread