What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Per WaPo:

On the cusp of the second impeachment battle in just over a year, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is circulating a memo to Republican senators that outlines how a potential Senate trial would work for President Trump — proceedings that would all but certainly occur after he leaves the White House.

In the memo, obtained by The Washington Post, McConnell’s office notes that the Senate will not reconvene for substantive business until Jan. 19, which means the earliest possible date that impeachment trial proceedings can begin in the Senate is the day before President-elect Joe Biden is inaugurated.

Although the Senate will hold two pro forma sessions next week, on Jan. 12 and Jan. 15, it is barred from conducting any kind of business during those days — including “beginning to act on received articles of impeachment from the House” — without agreement from all 100 senators. With a cadre of Trump-allied senators in the Republican conference, that unanimous consent is highly unlikely.

“Again, it would require the consent of all 100 Senators to conduct any business of any kind during the scheduled pro forma sessions prior to January 19, and therefore the consent of all 100 Senators to begin acting on any articles of impeachment during those sessions,” the memo from McConnell emphasized.

In effect, that makes the matter of an impeachment trial an issue that will need to be taken up by Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), the incoming majority leader, in the first days of the Biden presidency — a move that would almost certainly distract from the president-elect’s immediate agenda to battle the coronavirus pandemic and ensure that his Cabinet nominees get confirmed.

Absent a unanimous agreement before Jan. 19 to formally begin acting on any articles of impeachment, the McConnell memo outlines an expected scenario should the House impeach Trump in the coming days:

●On Jan. 19, the Senate would receive a message from the House that it has appointed impeachment managers, and that the Senate would be ready to receive it.

●On Jan. 19 or 20, the House impeachment managers would exhibit the articles.

●On Jan. 20 or 21, the Senate would proceed to consideration of the impeachment articles at 1 p.m., and officially begin the trial. McConnell’s memo noted that the “Senate trial would therefore begin after President Trump’s term has expired — either one hour after its expiration on January 20, or twenty-five hours after its expiration on January 21.”
Mitch McConnell: "We really shouldn't move forward on impeachment proceedings -- not enough time, it's too distracting for a new president taking office."

Also Mitch McConnell: "Getting a SCOTUS confirmed 8 days before an election? No probs!"

Long.... but this was probably the best read I've seen about how this happened: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55592332

The 65 days that led to chaos at the Capitol

By Shayan Sardarizadeh and Jessica Lussenhop
BBC Monitoring and BBC News Washington

Published

2 hours ago

It ends with this: 

Arrests of those who stormed the Capitol continue. But most of the rioters still live in a parallel online universe - a subterranean world filled with alternative facts.

They have already come up with fanciful explanations to dismiss Mr Trump's video statement, posted on Twitter the day after the riots, in which he acknowledged for the first time that "a new administration will be inaugurated on 20 January".

He can't possibly be giving up, they contend. Among their new theories - it's not really him in the video but a computer-generated "deep fake". Or perhaps the president is being held hostage.

Many still believe Mr Trump will prevail.

There's no evidence behind any of this, but it does prove one thing.

No matter what happens to Donald Trump, the rioters who stormed the US Capitol are not backing down anytime soon.

Donald W Obama @DonaldWObama

Democrats won't impeach Trump. Instead, they'll continue using what happened at the Capitol to fundraise while simultaneously backing down on promises they made to voters, like healthcare and $2k stimulus checks.
The political move here is not to impeach him, so he can run again in 2024 and further split/decimate the Republican party.  

The "I care about America move" is to impeach him and make it so the he can't run again.

The political move here is not to impeach him, so he can run again in 2024 and further split/decimate the Republican party.  

The "I care about America move" is to impeach him and make it so the he can't run again.
Also a good political move.  It forces the GOP in the Senate to choose their allegiance.  This is a decision that none of them want to be put to.  It will also cause fracture.

It's nice when the 'right' move is also the one that bears the most fruit politically.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would ask if he was such an incredibly awful president and individual, why you are apparently not particularly confident that democrats can put out a good enough candidate to beat him? (and I'd prefer to say beat him handily, but we'll go with the lower bar here)

I would ask if he was such an incredibly awful president and individual, why you are apparently not particularly confident that democrats can put out a good enough candidate to beat him? (and I'd prefer to say beat him handily, but we'll go with the lower bar here)
A candidate did beat him handily, just a couple months ago.

You're reading his post backwards.  He's saying the Democrats can beat him (and/or he'll screw up the GOP primary so badly that Democrats win regardless), so the political move would be to not impeach.  By impeaching and preventing him from running, Democrats remove that possibility.

You're reading his post backwards.  He's saying the Democrats can beat him (and/or he'll screw up the GOP primary so badly that Democrats win regardless), so the political move would be to not impeach.  By impeaching and preventing him from running, Democrats remove that possibility.
No, I get that.

I’m just saying if the Dems really care about the country, you impeach him. 

We’ve seen that anything can happen.  And he’s got an extraordinarily large following.  

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Donald W Obama @DonaldWObama

Democrats won't impeach Trump. Instead, they'll continue using what happened at the Capitol to fundraise while simultaneously backing down on promises they made to voters, like healthcare and $2k stimulus checks.

Lots of labels there.  Cant it be "lets try and do the right thing?"

Of course he needs to be impeached.  Has a president ever committed a greater offense than this?  If this action isn't impeached, what would be the standard?  Bill Clinton got impeached for a BJ.  
Technically for lying to Congress about the BJ. But speaking of lying to Congress and the American people in the most dangerous manner possible, check out President #45.

The interesting angle to me is what do certain republican senators do if it comes up to a vote and included in the vote is a ban on holding future office. Certainly some senators who are looking at taking a run in 2024 would not want Trump to be able to also run, but they also need to be afraid of Trump loyal voters no way in hell voting for them. So say you are Marco Rubio, who probably has another run in 2024 in him, but who also probably has no shot if Trump is in the field. Do you stick your political neck out there and vote for impeachment to thin the field, or do you vote against and hope that either Trump does not run in 2024 or doesn't have enough support to grab the nomination?

The interesting angle to me is what do certain republican senators do if it comes up to a vote and included in the vote is a ban on holding future office. Certainly some senators who are looking at taking a run in 2024 would not want Trump to be able to also run, but they also need to be afraid of Trump loyal voters no way in hell voting for them. So say you are Marco Rubio, who probably has another run in 2024 in him, but who also probably has no shot if Trump is in the field. Do you stick your political neck out there and vote for impeachment to thin the field, or do you vote against and hope that either Trump does not run in 2024 or doesn't have enough support to grab the nomination?
It would be nice if people void of integrity would not run for president. Political ramifications should not be a factor.

• Love
Maybe frame it as herd immunity and all the would-be 2024 GOP candidates will hop aboard.

I am now. I hadn’t heard some of the things he said. Plus, I wasn’t taking into account what he’s been saying for over a month now. 
Let me give you a scenario....

Imagine you are an old lady and you are upset that an employee at a business wouldn't let you return something without a receipt. So you wait until he gets off work and as he is walking in the parking lot you scream "STOP!!! HE'S STEALING MY PURSE!!! STOP!!!!"

People come running to see you and you point to the guy you are upset with. The guy now sees people coming after him, so he runs. The people who came to help you run after him, and tackle him to the ground. He ends up being severely injured in the violent tackle. 

There was no stolen purse. You lied. Your lie convinced others to help you, who in turn caused violent harm, even though you didn't do any harm yourself. 

What would you be guilty of? Anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
President Trump is expected to be represented by his personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, in the event of an impeachment trial, two sources said, and is also considering hiring controversial attorney Alan Dershowitz for his impeachment defense team.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/09/politics/donald-trump-impeachment-lawyers-dershowitz-giuliani/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link&utm_content=2021-01-09T23%3A14%3A05
According to Dershowitz (on tv), Trump can’t be impeached. By rule, the Senate would have to vote unanimously to have a special session (apparently they are not in session). By the time they would be able to take up the articles of impeachment, Biden would already have been sworn in. AD insists they cannot impeach a former president and current general citizen. He said there is no wiggle room for different interpretations of Senate rules and the constitution. 

Anarchy99 said:
According to Dershowitz (on tv), Trump can’t be impeached. By rule, the Senate would have to vote unanimously to have a special session (apparently they are not in session). By the time they would be able to take up the articles of impeachment, Biden would already have been sworn in. AD insists they cannot impeach a former president and current general citizen. He said there is no wiggle room for different interpretations of Senate rules and the constitution. 
The House impeaches, the Senate convicts.  

Anarchy99 said:
He can be impeached as soon as tomorrow. 

Anarchy99 said:
There is precedent for impeaching someone who is out of office. In 1876, Secretary Of War William Belknap resigned before he could be impeached. The House went ahead and impeached him anyway, and the Senate subsequently held a trial. He wasn't convicted, however.

• Thanks
Anarchy99 said:
Um, no.

Sen Toomey also said on the Sunday morning shows that he doesn't think you can impeach someone after they left office. He's a R saying Trump should resign who has already declared he will not seek reelection in 22, so has nothing to lose more or less. He also stated he felt Trump has ruined his legacy enough that a future run was not possible anyway.

If not impeachment, then what is the remedy to punish an ex president if conduct deemed highly impeachable is discovered after they leave office? 

Sen Toomey also said on the Sunday morning shows that he doesn't think you can impeach someone after they left office. He's a R saying Trump should resign who has already declared he will not seek reelection in 22, so has nothing to lose more or less. He also stated he felt Trump has ruined his legacy enough that a future run was not possible anyway.
How about we impeach him just to make sure. 

Wolf Blitzer reporting that the House is going to call on Pence and the cabinet to invite 25th amendment tomorrow am.
Any snowball chance in heck that GOP leadership approaches Trump and gives him an ultimatum. Either you resign or we invoke the 25th or impeach? Any chance Trump would take this?

Any snowball chance in heck that GOP leadership approaches Trump and gives him an ultimatum. Either you resign or we invoke the 25th or impeach? Any chance Trump would take this?
Maybe if that snowball was given a thick coat of asbestos. I guess we might find out tomorrow.

I don't see the 25th getting invoked. Even if Pence was on board, you wouldn't get 8 out of 15 cabinet members to sign off.

No - on impeachment 

No - on 25th Amendment

and, No way in hell would Trump resign under any circumstances.

Look, Trump knows that the GOP cannot/will not remove him prior to Biden's inauguration.  The GOP have no leverage here, and Trump knows that.

hmmm:

Kasie Hunt @kasie

An important note from a former GOP Senate lawyer —>

Quote Tweet

Gregg Nunziata @greggnunziata · 19m

Just FYI, the Senate needs a two-thirds vote to convict on impeachment, but disqualification from ever again holding office is a straight-up majority vote.

I don't know if that is true, but the source seems legit.  If true, that would seem to be a pretty straight forward proposition, and would provide some cover for GOP members who wish to remain Pro-Trump.

hmmm:

Kasie Hunt @kasie

Quote Tweet

Just FYI, the Senate needs a two-thirds vote to convict on impeachment, but disqualification from ever again holding office is a straight-up majority vote.

I don't know if that is true, but the source seems legit.  If true, that would seem to be a pretty straight forward proposition, and would provide some cover for GOP members who wish to remain Pro-Trump.
That is true, BUT. You can only vote on disqualification if he’s convicted (under the 2/3 majority)

hmmm:

Kasie Hunt @kasie

Quote Tweet

Really hard to imagine that is true.

hmmm:

Kasie Hunt @kasie

Quote Tweet

If they get the votes to convict it won’t matter. The damage will be done the and the vote to prevent him from future elections will be 90-10, it won’t even be close. Gotta get the 2/3rds to convict though.

NEWS: Impeachment vote will officially be held WEDNESDAY, per @heatherscope @sarahnferris

Dems apparently have the votes line up, and it may include some Republicans 

Tomorrow they will vote on a resolution calling on Pence to invoke the 25th. Not sure exactly what that means. Is that basically just saying (assuming it passes): "We think you should invoke the 25th"? I assume it doesn't have any teeth? This is the House continuing to hope the Executive office does the right thing?

Users who are viewing this thread