• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timschochet

• SaintsInDome2006

• Henry Ford

• Sinn Fein

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The quid pro quo discussion is a red herring. Sondland’s statement and testimony is proof that the President was running a shadow diplomacy operation using his private attorney outside of normal execu

This is no longer something worth arguing about for the time being.  Until the administration puts forth some compelling evidence or allows some witness to testify as to its side of the story, there i

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

McConnell’s letter makes it clear that his decision is all about jurisdiction. He won’t touch the question of what Trump did or did not do. 
There will be perhaps 3-4 Republicans that will vote to convict, perhaps 5. 

Didn’t the Senate vote on jurisdiction? So he’s ignoring that Senate vote? Just clarifying. 

3 minutes ago, dgreen said:

Didn’t the Senate vote on jurisdiction? So he’s ignoring that Senate vote? Just clarifying. 

He doesn't have to cast a vote in line with the Senate's findings. For example, the Supreme Court can say definitively that something is constitutional. It doesn't mean that one is bound to vote affirmatively yes or no on legislation regarding that question of constitutionality. One can exercise discretion and say, "as a representative, I find this unconstitutional and therefore will not vote on it either way because I don't think we have jurisdiction or a constitutional role to play."

It's a wimp move, but it's a perfectly valid approach, and even can be sound in some instances.

Edited by rockaction
2 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Correct.

Incorrect, actually. That states too much. He's not ignoring the fact that the Senate voted that they had jurisdiction. He's dissenting from that vote in the impeachment vote, as I explained in the post above.

Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

Yay!!!

More time and money wasting and DRAMA!!!

We payed the Senate to set on their asses the last 2 years. Might as well let them fight in public for our entertainment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is quite fascinating. Witnesses will make this very dramatic despite the fact that the conclusion is still predictable. 
Biden won’t be happy, because this means that the trial is going to stretch into next week month.

Fixed that.  This could go on quite a while.  

1 hour ago, beef said:

and go to philiahdelphiah or however he said it.  Senate laughed at him and it looked like he was going to cry.  :lmao:

He's right, though.  Nothing like a pop up trial.

1 minute ago, Sand said:

Fixed that.  This could go on quite a while.  

He's right, though.  Nothing like a pop up trial.

No because the Senate will vote down almost all the witnesses the defense calls for. So none of that threat will happen. 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

No because the Senate will vote down almost all the witnesses the defense calls for. So none of that threat will happen. 

Machiavelli would be so proud.

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Optics of doing so will not look good.  Even if they are blocking irrelevant witnesses like Nancy Pelosi.   They don’t have the votes.  I don’t think this is a good idea.  They’ve won the case in the public square, which is the only place it is meaningfully being tried anyway. 

11 minutes ago, zoonation said:

Optics of doing so will not look good.  Even if they are blocking irrelevant witnesses like Nancy Pelosi.   They don’t have the votes.  I don’t think this is a good idea.  They’ve won the case in the public square, which is the only place it is meaningfully being tried anyway. 

Pelosi is relevant, shes in charge of Capitol police who were woefully unprepared. And she refused help from the national guard.  

Edited by tonydead

This is quite fascinating. Witnesses will make this very dramatic despite the fact that the conclusion is still predictable. 
Biden won’t be happy, because this means that the trial is going to stretch into next week. 

This sounds familiar.  🤔

Just now, timschochet said:

Hey man if you don’t support Trump, if you think he should be convicted here, just say so. I’ll apologize. 

Taking up a cause and making fun of someone else's cause that was doomed to fail before it started are two very different things.  

You dont apologize, you patronize.  

9 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Pelosi is relevant, shes in charge of Capitol police who were woefully unprepared. And she refused help from the national guard.  

McConnell has as much control of the capitol police as Pelosi. Which is close to zero control. But you know this

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, tonydead said:

No, she isn't. 

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9909210228

Posts falsely cite Pelosi as responsible for security during Capitol insurrection

CLAIM: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who is in charge of overseeing the Capitol Police, is responsible for security failures that allowed the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol to happen.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. Pelosi does not oversee day-to-day operations of the Capitol Police.

THE FACTS: After the deadly riot at the Capitol, social media users began sharing posts that blamed Pelosi for security shortfalls that allowed the building Capitol to be breached.

[...]

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

McConnell has as much control of the capitol police as Pelosi. Which is close to zero control. But you know this

Thanks, but we'd like to hear it from her. 

6 minutes ago, squistion said:

No, she isn't. 

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9909210228

Posts falsely cite Pelosi as responsible for security during Capitol insurrection

CLAIM: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who is in charge of overseeing the Capitol Police, is responsible for security failures that allowed the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol to happen.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. Pelosi does not oversee day-to-day operations of the Capitol Police.

THE FACTS: After the deadly riot at the Capitol, social media users began sharing posts that blamed Pelosi for security shortfalls that allowed the building Capitol to be breached.

[...]

Thanks. Good to know the background on the far-right conspiracy theories being spread here.

• Like 2

Kind of feel for the defense team.  Not like MTG feeling a cardboard penis, but in sympathy.  Pretty sure their retainer checks haven't cleared yet and now they need to donate even more of their time.  

Biden won’t be happy, because this means that the trial is going to stretch into next week. 

Exactly.

This whole thing is Political theater and a complete waste of time. 

4 minutes ago, tonydead said:

:lmao: at Republicans "demanding" witnesses in an impeachment trial. I had hopes the party would turn the page on Trump after this - like the majority of America has - but they are definitely going down with the ship.

• Laughing 1
1 minute ago, Courtjester said:

Exactly.

This whole thing is Political theater and a complete waste of time. 

I agree with the first part of your statement- every impeachment is political theater. 
But it’s not a waste of time. 

14 minutes ago, tonydead said:

No problem. Whatever. I assume you'd like to hear from McConnell, and the actual person responsible for the insurrection (Trump). Call all the witnesses you want.

1 minute ago, dozer said:
18 minutes ago, tonydead said:

No problem. Whatever. I assume you'd like to hear from McConnell, and the actual person responsible for the insurrection (Trump). Call all the witnesses you want.

You really shouldn't assume. :lol:

Now McCaskell says it’s a 50/50 proposition: either it’s entered into testimony (BFD) and it will all be done today (including a final vote on impeachment) OR there will be a 2 week delay and perhaps several witnesses. 

I suspect it’s the former. I think that sucks- if you’re going to have witnesses have witnesses. But whatever. 

The Republican Qanon lady congresswoman from Georgia just tweeted to Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler that Trump supporters "are watching" her.

What would a Trump defense be without a little witness intimidation...

The Republican threat is bogus. They don’t want witnesses; they’ll do anything to avoid it. I don’t get why the Dems would agree to allowing this into the record without live testimony. It’s got to be because Biden’s people wants this to be over. But that really sucks IMO. 

4 minutes ago, dozer said:

The Republican Qanon lady congresswoman from Georgia just tweeted to Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler that Trump supporters "are watching" her.

What would a Trump defense be without a little witness intimidation...

The new face of the GOP. Conservatives be proud!