What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

R.I.P. Ric Ocasek (2 Viewers)

that would make a pretty good thread

:nerd:
It would, but definitive answers would be hard to come by because producers have almost as wide an array of talents as artists. There were the guys in the beginning who figured out the tech to get the sounds the artists wanted, the guys who could get the best out of artists, those who could make things commercial, those who could do so without losing the validity, the coaxers, the cleaners, the in-betweeners. I had the pleasure of seeing Todd Rundgren at work and this is the ideal producer. The chops to be respected, the creativity to add, the technical capacity to make it happen, the ear for what's missing and the contagious belief in newness that makes everyone outdo themselves.

Orr's voice was smooth and sexy. Ocasek's voice was more spoken. Kind of like for Pink Floyd, Gilmour's voice was smoother, and Waters' voice was more spoken.
I think the differences in Gilmour and Waters are more noticeable. With the Cars, if I didn't look I would probably assume most of the vocals were Ric. However I do get your descriptions.

Any of you guitar guys play any Cars songs on acoustic?   I like the Cars but was never a huge fan and am not sure which of their songs works well acoustically.  I have heard Drive done on the acoustic but it's a little boring to me.   

I think the differences in Gilmour and Waters are more noticeable. With the Cars, if I didn't look I would probably assume most of the vocals were Ric. However I do get your descriptions.
Also the Floyd guys sang the songs they wrote (I think - maybe Waters handed some over to Gilmour..?) 

Ocasek wrote all the Cars stuff and decided which ones Ben would sing.. usually the best ones..

My favorite that Ric sang is probably Dangerous Type.  Off the top of my head Ben got at least 5 that are better.

(I made a CD of all the Ben songs back when he died.. and it was ####### awesome.. and yeah many times I was like "oh wow that is Ben isn't it?".. ie Cruiser and Candy-O)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the Cars, pure musicians that sounded recording studio crisp live. Too many great songs to mention, I thought they had a perfect intro album.
The live shows were odd, although my sample size is only 2 and both were a very long time ago.  They had a reputation for being a terrible live band, and I think its somewhat justified. But if you just wanted to hear the songs played exactly as they sound on the record, and weren't interested in dancing girls and pyrotechnics, their shows were perfect.

The Cars had a great look about them.  They fielded an unmatched pair of singers, a pretty boy and a unique looking one.   Besides being the master of the eight-bar guitar solo, Elliot Easton's looks fall somewhere on the axis of Mick Jagger and Nigel Tufnel.  Greg Hawkes was the uber nerdy synth programmer.  David Robinson looked pretty normal for a drummer but he was in the Modern Lovers for godssake.  Their clothes look a little more ridiculous now but it was the late 70s-early 80s.

The visual image of a band became much more important during The Cars' original run.  They figured that out early and chose a style that fit their music.

The live shows were odd, although my sample size is only 2 and both were a very long time ago.  They had a reputation for being a terrible live band, and I think its somewhat justified. But if you just wanted to hear the songs played exactly as they sound on the record, and weren't interested in dancing girls and pyrotechnics, their shows were perfect.
The vocals were double-tracked, which is very difficult to replicate on stage. 

Besides being the master of the eight-bar guitar solo, Elliot Easton's looks fall somewhere on the axis of Mick Jagger and Nigel Tufnel. 
I had Easton's solo record in like 9th grade and even weirder than that I actually really liked it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBRc4pLkMlM

I don't think Ric liked the stage much

But Greg sure did

I feel a cold coming on and may be geeking out to some old live videos this weekend.. thanks Soulseek..

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the Floyd guys sang the songs they wrote (I think - maybe Waters handed some over to Gilmour..?) 
Eh, that is not really accurate at all.  Floyd pretty much let whoever's voice was best suited for the song sing it, regardless of who wrote it, although Waters dominated the vocals on both The Wall and The Final Cut, which were very personal albums to him.  Plus, the band was splintering at that point, and I suspect Gilmour didn't have a lot of interest in singing a lot of those songs (and Wright was so out of it on coke during The Wall, and was then out of the band for The Final Cut). 

Any of you guitar guys play any Cars songs on acoustic?   I like the Cars but was never a huge fan and am not sure which of their songs works well acoustically.  I have heard Drive done on the acoustic but it's a little boring to me.   
I thought about this for a bit and I think you could do good acoustic renditions of both "Bye Bye Love" and "Magic" with one guitar if you arranged the part to cover some of the keyboard parts (and Orr's prominent bassline elements) as well.  Two acoustic guitars would sound really good.  

Eh, that is not really accurate at all.  Floyd pretty much let whoever's voice was best suited for the song sing it, regardless of who wrote it, although Waters dominated the vocals on both The Wall and The Final Cut, which were very personal albums to him.  Plus, the band was splintering at that point, and I suspect Gilmour didn't have a lot of interest in singing a lot of those songs (and Wright was so out of it on coke during The Wall, and was then out of the band for The Final Cut). 
I'll stand corrected on that, my point on the Cars being Ocasek's baby still stands

The Cars had a great look about them.  They fielded an unmatched pair of singers, a pretty boy and a unique looking one.   Besides being the master of the eight-bar guitar solo, Elliot Easton's looks fall somewhere on the axis of Mick Jagger and Nigel Tufnel.  Greg Hawkes was the uber nerdy synth programmer.  David Robinson looked pretty normal for a drummer but he was in the Modern Lovers for godssake.  Their clothes look a little more ridiculous now but it was the late 70s-early 80s.

The visual image of a band became much more important during The Cars' original run.  They figured that out early and chose a style that fit their music.
Greg could also play any instrument well enough to record within five minutes of your putting it in his hands, like Brian Jones. When he was in Martin Mull's Fabulous Furniture (yes, Mull got famous doing comedy songs on the same old folk circuit as Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Leo Kottke and others started on), his boss would regularly challenge him to solo on various things that he'd give him at soundcheck, if not later. Ocasek employed him thusly for many pre-Car years as well.

CletiusMaximus said:
Yes they did sound album perfect and I get the criticism of it being somewhat robotic in that aspect, but I do not want to hear a reggae version of Roxanne if I am buying a ticket to come see a show either. Some adaptation is good, but some bands are just are so tired of their own songs that they play things that you never heard before and that bites.

Users who are viewing this thread