What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Robert Tonyan, CHI (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Packers could be without Jimmy Graham vs. Broncos in Week 3

Excerpt:

Another potential sign that Graham could miss Sunday’s game is that the team signed TE Evan Baylis to the 53-man roster.

That doesn’t guarantee Graham will miss the game as the Packers had an open roster spot available after trading away Trevor Davis. It could just be that they are preparing for the worst-case scenario by having Baylis available to play.

Should Graham sit out of the game, it’ll be interesting to see how the Packers use Robert Tonyan, who has so far played on just under a third of the team’s offensive snaps this season, according to Pro Football Reference. Could Tonyan see an increased role? And would he be able to give the team another receiving threat while also being relied on to block?

Last edited:
Jimmy Graham (groin) is reportedly expected to be available for the Packers' Week 3 matchup against the Broncos.

Still, Graham didn't return to practice until Friday this week, meaning a snap count is certainly a possibility. Graham has caught 3-of-6 targets for 30 yards and a score this season, functioning as one of fantasy's most touchdown-dependent players. Anyone other than Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Jones and Davante Adams is best approached with caution inside of a Packers offense presently averaging a mediocre 4.3 yards per play.

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter.

Sep 20, 2019, 1:33 PM ET

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2

If Jimmy Graham can't play Sunday, I'll be excited to see Robert Tonyan in a significant role. It's possible the offense could operate more smoothly with 85. He's just a better fit.

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman expects Robert Tonyan to open the season as the Packers' top pass-catching tight end.

Sophomore Jace Sternberger simply isn't ready after catching just three passes as a rookie and spending part of camp on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Tonyan has 14 catches for 177 yards and two scores over the last two seasons while flashing in the preseasons at times. With Jimmy Graham now in Chicago, his departure opened 60 targets from last year. Tonyan could have some spiked weeks as an athletic former college wideout.

RELATED: 

Jace Sternberger

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 2, 2020, 11:01 AM ET

Is there a "meh" emoji? 

Feels like everyone has been chasing fool's gold in GB at the TE position for years now.  It's said to be a rotation & my expectations for this dude are super low. O/U ~25 receptions, 270 yards, 1.5 TD?  meh.  :shrug:  

hmmm...maybe I'm off - he's sittin there on my dynasty FA list. I could throw a couple bucks at him. We just pared down our rosters & I don't see anyone to drop for him though. 

He's also a dude who was a UDFA in 2017, who is expected to be used in a rotation. So being the "starting receiving TE" is a bit of a misnomer. It's hard to get excited about a Packers TE since their TEs have had 5 TDs over a 2 year span. 

Everyone looking for the next Finley or Franks seems to be disappointed every year. Graham had 38/447/3 & 55/636/2 on 89 & 60 targets, respectively. 

If that's the ceiling, I'm not seeing a whole lot to get excited about here. 

Robert Tonyan caught five passes for 50 yards and a touchdown in Week 3 against the Saints.

The yards were a season high for Tonyan. He’s now started and scored in consecutive weeks with rookie TE Josiah Deguara sidelined. Tonyan would be a streaming option for a Monday night matchup with the Falcons if Deguara remains out next week.

Sep 28, 2020, 12:14 AM ET

Packers Depth Chart: Can Marquez Valdes-Scantling & others step up after Allen Lazard’s injury?

Excerpt:

Packers Depth Chart: Which tight end will rise to the top? 

The position that could benefit the most from the Allen Lazard injury would be the tight ends. The trio of Robert Tonyan, Mercedes Lewis, and Jace Sternberger played a big role in the team’s Week 3 win over the New Orleans Saints. The three of them combined for nine catches, 104 yards, and two touchdowns.

Tonyan was the biggest benefactor with five catches for 50 yards and one of the two touchdowns. Tonyan has quickly emerged as the top TE in this passing game and has scored two weeks in a row. With Lazard missing time and Tonyan becoming a trusted weapon of Rodgers, he is worth an add in fantasy. If you are playing in any sort of TE premium league, your waiver claim should already be done.

The other two tight ends, Lewis and Sternberger, will also see an increase in targets, but will likely not compare to Tonyan. Lewis is used as more of a blocking TE, so it would just be Sternberger who could vulture passes. With how much this offense likes to throw the ball, I am not overly concerned.

Not sure whether to sell high in leagues I have him or buy low in leagues I don't. Has the feel of a fluky game with top targets being out, but it does look like Rodgers likes this guy. A couple of those catches were pretty dang nice.

Robert Tonyan caught all six of his targets for 98 yards and three touchdowns in the Packers' Week 4 win over the Falcons.

The third-year former small-school college wideout entered 2020 with a career 14-177-2 line, but Tonyan has completely taken over No. 1 tight end duties in Green Bay and had his coming out party in this one. Tonyan worked out with George Kittle in the offseason and has taken advantage of his opportunity in an offense starved for pass-catching playmakers. Tonyan has scored five touchdowns over his last three contests while playing over 60% of the snaps every week. Tonyan caught 19- and 8-yard touchdowns in the second quarter Monday before scoring again from 21 yards out in the second half. Tonyan has thrown himself right into the TE1 mix with his performance through four weeks. He gets the Bucs on the road in Week 6 after the Packers' bye.

Oct 5, 2020, 11:57 PM ET

Mane.....I just picked him up since Cook was out.  Was going against Rodgers.  Cook hopefully will be my bye week fill in now.

He's also a dude who was a UDFA in 2017, who is expected to be used in a rotation. So being the "starting receiving TE" is a bit of a misnomer. It's hard to get excited about a Packers TE since their TEs have had 5 TDs over a 2 year span. 

Everyone looking for the next Finley or Franks seems to be disappointed every year. Graham had 38/447/3 & 55/636/2 on 89 & 60 targets, respectively. 

If that's the ceiling, I'm not seeing a whole lot to get excited about here. 

Well, now he has 5 in 3 games.

Wondering whether to burn my top waiver wire spot on him this week?  Already have Hockenson, Hurst and Gesicki, but I could drop one of them and he'd perhaps be a nice trade piece.

Wondering whether to burn my top waiver wire spot on him this week?  Already have Hockenson, Hurst and Gesicki, but I could drop one of them and he'd perhaps be a nice trade piece.
Acquiring players for the purpose of trading them never seems to turn out as good as expected.  I would put him on the level of those other three so you would just be banging your head against a wall each week trying to figure out who to play.  I don't think I would burn the top waiver spot on the guy in your situation but I wouldn't leave him on the waiver wire if I could get him without losing that priority (or paying big FAAB). 

Acquiring players for the purpose of trading them never seems to turn out as good as expected.  I would put him on the level of those other three so you would just be banging your head against a wall each week trying to figure out who to play.  I don't think I would burn the top waiver spot on the guy in your situation but I wouldn't leave him on the waiver wire if I could get him without losing that priority (or paying big FAAB). 
You are so right in my own personal experience. I have hardly ever had that work for me. And yet, every season, some of my teammates pull it off and make out like bandits.

Luck of the draw I guess.

Bye, then Adams comes back.. I think his production declines going forward.
Well, it's going to be hard to keep this pace for sure but I keep seeing people say this. He's earned some trust with Rodgers by this point I'd think. He won't need to pepper Adams with 15+ targets a game any more. Lazard will still be gone for a good while yet. I'd feel pretty confident in starting Tonyan if he was on my roster. Not many TE's exactly blowing up this year. 

Man, I'm sitting on Jonnu Smith and Hurst already but thinking of dropping one for this guy.  Am I crazy or what?

Man, I'm sitting on Jonnu Smith and Hurst already but thinking of dropping one for this guy.  Am I crazy or what?
I'm biased as a Packers fan, but I wouldn't hesitate to drop either of those guys for Tonyan.  Hurst for sure.

Things change since September 2nd. I added him in dynasty after week 2.

going back a month and responding to a post as though it was current is a little disingenuous, no? 

Can't really beat myself up over not starting him over Kelce, but DANG, between leaving him and Chark on the bench, I would have come out ahead. 

He looks to have Rodger's complete trust. I'm sure things change when Adams comes back, but this guy is a TE1 for sure.

I am hoping for a fun ride in dynasty. I grabbed him a couple weeks ago. I have Kittle for a few more years, but I won't hate seeing him feast on my bench or W/T slot if need be.
30.4 for me. :doh:  

luckily I won by 40-+ without him, so it didn’t really matter other than coach rating. :shrug:  

still painful psychologically. 

Not sure whether to sell high in leagues I have him or buy low in leagues I don't. Has the feel of a fluky game with top targets being out, but it does look like Rodgers likes this guy. A couple of those catches were pretty dang nice.
I'm desperate given Ertz isn't giving me much and I already have Rodgers (Plus Big Ben when needed) at QB. Rodgers seems to really like him and even if Adams comes back I think Tonyan at this point has earned not just the starting job but Rodger's trust. When you get Rodgers to trust you thats big. 

It only seems to work if you got a top Waiver spot and there's a team desperate up that is no where close to the spot. I forget who was all involved in the trade but I remember having the top waiver spot a week with 3 top big name RBs going down. I didn't desperately need an RB but I also didn't want to risk my top waiver spot grabbing a kicker with mine on the bye. The other manager came to me knowing I had first waiver claim. We came up with a trade which made sense for both of us. I think I had like 4 RBs and only 3 WRs and my flex wasn't great. I had Gronk at TE with Rodgers and Jordy Nelson. I got another solid WR as my flex and a pick the next year. The trade ended up helping me win the league as that WR became my flex and I won the league. For the life of me I can't remember who was all involved in the trade and that league folded awhile back. 

It only seems to work if you got a top Waiver spot and there's a team desperate up that is no where close to the spot. I forget who was all involved in the trade but I remember having the top waiver spot a week with 3 top big name RBs going down. I didn't desperately need an RB but I also didn't want to risk my top waiver spot grabbing a kicker with mine on the bye. The other manager came to me knowing I had first waiver claim. We came up with a trade which made sense for both of us. I think I had like 4 RBs and only 3 WRs and my flex wasn't great. I had Gronk at TE with Rodgers and Jordy Nelson. I got another solid WR as my flex and a pick the next year. The trade ended up helping me win the league as that WR became my flex and I won the league. For the life of me I can't remember who was all involved in the trade and that league folded awhile back. 
This is a different scenario than grabbing a guy with the intent to trade him.  You already had the trade finalized before you acquired the guy or you traded the priority outright.   Either way this is different than grabbing a guy that you don't really want or need because you think you can trade them for something great later on. 

This is a different scenario than grabbing a guy with the intent to trade him.  You already had the trade finalized before you acquired the guy or you traded the priority outright.   Either way this is different than grabbing a guy that you don't really want or need because you think you can trade them for something great later on. 
Agree my plan was initially to pick up the guy and trade him before the that owner came to me. I wasn't gonna waste my first priority claim on a bye week kicker. The WR's and RBs at the time for a flex were nothing special other then the RB I picked and then traded. Overall I ended up upgrading my flex anyway. He was in desperate need of the RB because his weren't great 

all right, so I picked up this dude purely as a contingency plan if KC/NE didn't play yesterday - I didn't want a goose egg from Kelce and so my only option was a TE from GB or ATL so I snagged him Sunday AM.

He is now the #2 TE in my league.

What do I do now?  I'm not going to bench Kelce (leagues #1TE) for him.  obvious answer is to flip him, but what kind of value do y'all think he has? 

all right, so I picked up this dude purely as a contingency plan if KC/NE didn't play yesterday - I didn't want a goose egg from Kelce and so my only option was a TE from GB or ATL so I snagged him Sunday AM.

What do I do now?  I'm not going to bench Kelce (leagues #1TE) for him.  obvious answer is to flip him, but what kind of value do y'all think he has? 
I think the more obvious answer is that COVID and injuries are king this year. Enjoy your depth.

If you are set on flipping him because you need the roster space or ????  then put out a league wide notice that he is available to the highest bidder.  I don't think many will believe he is for real yet (and think he will disappear when Adams comes back) so the offerings are going to be modest.  He probably has more value to you to keep at this point. 

If you are set on flipping him because you need the roster space or ????  then put out a league wide notice that he is available to the highest bidder.  I don't think many will believe he is for real yet (and think he will disappear when Adams comes back) so the offerings are going to be modest.  He probably has more value to you to keep at this point. 
my WR's suck and I currently don't have a back-up QB rostered behind Brees, who has a bye week coming up.  Our benches are relatively shallow - I typically don't carry a back-up TE.  I'm thinking of packaging him with maybe Tod Gurley for a top 10-20 WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things change since September 2nd. I added him in dynasty after week 2.

going back a month and responding to a post as though it was current is a little disingenuous, no? 
Sorry, I wasn't trying to show you up, was trying to illustrate exactly what you said. How much things can change in a few weeks!  Seems like I need to learn that lesson every year!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to show you up, was trying to illustrate exactly what you said. How much things can change in a few weeks!  Seems like I need to learn that lesson every year!
Oh! Got ya - you're exactly right. Sorry, that coulda been read either way - thanks for the clarification. :)  

Users who are viewing this thread