What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to sell Rams, has McVay been figured out? (1 Viewer)

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
Lost in all of the discussion about Todd Gurley and whatnot is that the Rams offense has been pretty pedestrian for quite some time now, and a lot of people don't seem to have adjusted to that new reality when ranking Rams' fantasy players.

The Rams' offense the first 11 games of last year and the 10 games since (counting playoffs) almost could not be more different.  Some have noticed but assumed it was Cooper Kupp's absence causing problems (with is an issue of its own, if one of these WRs getting hurt can tank an entire offense), but things don't appear to be much better so far this year.  You have to wonder if the NFL hasn't figured out Sean McVay to some extent.  This has not been an elite offense in a while now but people are still treating it as an elite unit that can support 3 strong fantasy WRs and multiple fantasy RBs.

Here are some of the numbers comparing the first 11 games of last year with the 10 games since.

First 11:
35ppg
Scored over 30 points in 8 out of 11 games
Multiple TD passes in 9 out of 11 games
9.3 yards per attempt passing

Last 10:
26ppg
Scored over 30 points in 1 out of 10 games
Multiple TD passes in 1 out of 10 games
6.5 yards per attempt passing

And how has that affected the fantasy numbers?

Jared Goff last 10 games
2322 yards, 9 TD, 9 INT
16 game pace: 3751 yards, 14 TD, 14 INT

Brandin Cooks last 10 games
45-645-3
16 game pace: 72-1032-5

Robert Woods last 10 games
54-590-2
16 game pace: 86-944-3

Value-wise Goff has taken a hit, but remains an elite piece in Superflex leagues even though he's been worse than a poor man's Joe Flacco for quite a while now.

Cooks and Woods retain value far exceeding the numbers they've put up the last 10 games even as the general consensus among forum posters is that both are underrated, if anything.

It's still a good offense we are talking about here.  But the difference between being on the Chiefs' level versus being on the Chargers/Seahawks/Falcons level is being able to support a bunch of strong fantasy assets versus being able to support one or two.  And without a true alpha among those multiple guys on the Rams, that one that gets supported could be oft changing and quite the headache from week to week.

Point being, This used to be an offense where all of these guys could go out and get theirs alongside each other.  It no longer is, yet none of these guys have really lost value even as their numbers have declined along with the offense.  Is it time to sell these guys before people start to notice?  They play on national TV tonight so if they struggle again, people might start downgrading them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's 2-0 and has scored 30 and 27 points against quality teams. I don't think anything has been figured out but defenses generally take a few weeks to get going anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if every team had a drop-off.

Not sure we can put all of the blame on him, but Goff has noticeably dropped off, just not in the numbers; using the eye test, he hasn't looked like the same QB he did for the first 2/3 of the season last year. 

Not sure we can put all of the blame on him, but Goff has noticeably dropped off, just not in the numbers; using the eye test, he hasn't looked like the same QB he did for the first 2/3 of the season last year. 
I think he’s the biggest problem. He lost Kupp and I think he lost his confidence more than anything. And it’s really hard to forget that he couldn’t hardly get a first down in the super bowl. I was worried in the offseason that he’d recover from that kind of an embarrassment. That’s a big blow to anyone’s confidence. He as really exposed.

I think he’s the biggest problem. He lost Kupp and I think he lost his confidence more than anything. And it’s really hard to forget that he couldn’t hardly get a first down in the super bowl. I was worried in the offseason that he’d recover from that kind of an embarrassment. That’s a big blow to anyone’s confidence. He as really exposed.
couldn't hardly? you mean could hardly

Lost in all of the discussion about Todd Gurley and whatnot is that the Rams offense has been pretty pedestrian for quite some time now, and a lot of people don't seem to have adjusted to that new reality when ranking Rams' fantasy players.

The Rams' offense the first 11 games of last year and the 10 games since (counting playoffs) almost could not be more different.  Some have noticed but assumed it was Cooper Kupp's absence causing problems (with is an issue of its own, if one of these WRs getting hurt can tank an entire offense), but things don't appear to be much better so far this year.  You have to wonder if the NFL hasn't figured out Sean McVay to some extent.  This has not been an elite offense in a while now but people are still treating it as an elite unit that can support 3 strong fantasy WRs and multiple fantasy RBs.
lol I like how you made the cut right after they scored 54 against KC.

Two of the those last 10 games were on the road against the #1 defense in the cold (Goff's H/A splits are already noticeable, but bigger problem is he has always been terrible in the cold) and another game where the greatest coach in NFL history had two weeks to prepare.

lol I like how you made the cut right after they scored 54 against KC.
It's not like this is two subsets that are close and one big game on one side changes things.

Here are Goff's YPA in each game, in order, starting with week 1 last year.

It was a very sudden and consistent dropoff.

Pass TDs in order

Again, it's not just a game here or there.

I'm not sure how McVeigh wasn't figured out a long time ago.  It's not like his offense is some revolution the way its cracked up to be. 

Jared always seemed a 'bit off' if you dug down on him before that draft.  

I felt something wasn't quite right but then I saw this.

Jared Goff Diet: How His Enzyme Deficiency Was Discovered

According to Fox Sports, Ryan Flaherty, a strength and speed coach, studied Jared Goff’s blood work and discovered that Goff “has an enzyme deficiency that didn’t allow him to break down proteins.” 
I don't know if his deficiency has anything to do with his slow start but when I found out he was dealing with this and 'apparently' had it under control I thought that was part of the reason for his rookie struggles.

Its an interesting observation.

Does the drop off coincide with Gurleys injury?

I do not find the ypa or TD splits to be very convincing. Those seem like a normally random distribution.

Its an interesting observation.

Does the drop off coincide with Gurleys injury?

I do not find the ypa or TD splits to be very convincing. Those seem like a normally random distribution.
9 of 11 multiple TD games in one set and 1 of 10 in the other is normally random distribution?

9.3ypa in one set and 6.5ypa in the other is normally random distribution?

0 of 11 games under 7ypa in one set and 6 of 10 games under 7 ypa in the other is normally random distribution?

I would disagree on that.  And if we were to stretch random distribution that far we could equally say that Gurley's huge dropoff in TDs, yards, carries, ypc, etc is all just normally random distribution and the knee is not actually a problem and he is still the fantasy #1 RB.  But we know that not to be true.

9 of 11 multiple TD games in one set and 1 of 10 in the other is normally random distribution?
TD are pretty random to begin with and if the team is scoring TD in other ways than passing TD (they did) then yes I would say it is pretty random and normal.

9.3ypa in one set and 6.5ypa in the other is normally random distribution?
As you laid out on a game by game basis there was a 9.0 ypa game and a 10.1 ypa game in the second sample which is right there with the average in the first set.

0 of 11 games under 7ypa in one set and 6 of 10 games under 7 ypa is normally random distribution?
Yes. Stats such as ypa have pretty wild swings from game to game. Similar to ypc it is a stat that gets better for comparative purposes over more than one season of games.

Jared Goff currently has a career 7.7 ypa so games above or below that is pretty normal.

I would disagree on that.  And if we were to stretch random distribution that far we could equally say that Gurley's huge dropoff in TDs, yards, carries, ypc, etc is all just normally random distribution and the knee is not actually a problem and he is still the fantasy #1 RB.  But we know that not to be true.
Well you make a good point here that I agree with that there are other causes for the changes in the individual players stats than opposing defenses figuring things out.

Well, the value of every Rams' offensive player outside of Cooper Kupp and maybe Gerald Everett (since it had nowhere to go but up for him) has basically fallen off a cliff right now.  If you got stuck holding Goff, Gurley, Cooks, or Woods their value has tanked.  

But nothing fixes short-term fantasy value like a game against the Falcons defense.  There could be a short sell window for at least a small value boost later today.  But if they can't get it done against the Falcons then may God have mercy on our souls.

The Rams are one of the stranger stories as far as falls from grace. The genius turned dunce thing with McVay.

They still have the potential to turn it around, but it makes you wonder...

Goff is not good but a total rhythm guy that needs the short pass to Kupp to get rolling. The 49ers were all over Kupp and it really made me wonder why this hasn't been so doable for other teams. Kudos to Kupp but...

I’ll just put this here.  Nobody succeeds under these circumstances.  

PFF rankings through last week....

LT Andrew Whitworth 32nd/75 OTs

LG Jamil Demby 76th/77 OGs

C Brian Allen 31st/33 Cs

RG Austin Blythe 72nd/77 OGs

RT Rob Havenstein 74th/75 OTs
woah

I’ll just put this here.  Nobody succeeds under these circumstances.  

PFF rankings through last week....

LT Andrew Whitworth 32nd/75 OTs

LG Jamil Demby 76th/77 OGs

C Brian Allen 31st/33 Cs

RG Austin Blythe 72nd/77 OGs

RT Rob Havenstein 74th/75 OTs
Never have been a fan (well, Rams fan, yes;  Goff fan, not so much), but my goodness, the poor fellow is being served up on a silver platter.  

Rams' offensive struggles ... explained! Plus, Derek Carr's revival

Excerpt:

What's wrong with Sean McVay and the Los Angeles Rams' offense?

That's the million-dollar question floating around league circles, with the defending NFC champions now sitting at 5-4 following another dismal offensive performance in last Sunday's 17-12 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Rams' play this season has observers scratching their heads when watching an offense that looks nothing like the unit that dominated opponents during McVay's first two years at the helm. After averaging 32.9 points and 421.1 total yards per game in 2018, those Rams figures have plummeted to 25.1 points and 375.8 yards in 2019. That's a significant decline in production for an offense that appeared unstoppable during the early part of the McVay era.

What happened? Did the NFL finally catch up to the creative schemes dreamed up by the ballyhooed young coach?

"McVay's gotten too cute," a former NFL defensive coordinator told me. "He's gotten too far away from the 'bread and butter' schemes that made the offense pop. They're not using Todd Gurley as the focal point of the offense. The fly-sweep motion and runs to various perimeter players have diminished. And the passing game has become more dropback than play-action-based. ... Plus, the offensive line isn't nearly as good as it once was.

"They're a completely different offense than the one that took the league by storm."

Rams fans might not want to hear that kind of cold, hard truth, but the veteran defensive coach is simply pointing out the flaws that stand out on tape. McVay's offense looks nothing like the version that pummeled opponents during his first two years on the job. Just over halfway through the 2019 season, the Rams already have more games with fewer than 30 points (6), fewer than 400 total yards (6) and fewer than 100 rush yards (6) than they had during the entire 2018 campaign. They're just not nearly as explosive, dynamic or consistent on offense this season -- and their decline has been utterly apparent to anyone who has studied the film.

Reviewing the All-22 Coaches Film, the first thing that stands out is the lack of punch in the running game, and McVay's waning commitment to Gurley. I've heard all the theories on Gurley and his arthritic knee. Obviously, I don't have all of the medical information that Gurley and the Rams have at their disposal. But at times this season, the 25-year-old back has run quite effectively. He just hasn't received anywhere near the workload he used to get. I don't know if this is some kind of "load management" plan or just a change in strategy. Bottom line: Gurley's no longer the center of gravity in this offense. From 2015 through '18, Gurley averaged 21.2 touches and 110.9 scrimmage yards per game, tallying 56 total touchdown in the process. He's not even close to sniffing those bell-cow figures this season, averaging 14.9 touches and 63.6 scrimmage yards per game, with seven scores through eight outings. (Gurley missed L.A.'s Week 6 loss to San Francisco with a quad injury.) After opening the season with 14 rushes for 97 yards against the Panthers, Gurley has averaged just 12.9 carries and 47.3 rushing yards per game since. His percentage of the team's scrimmage yards is the lowest of his career (27.2, 27th overall) after ranking third (44.3) and sixth (38.1) in this category during each of McVay's first two seasons. 

With Gurley not as involved in the offensive game plan, the Rams have suffered the second-largest decrease in rushing yards from 2018 to '19, posting 43.2 fewer ground yards per game this season. This has dropped Los Angeles' run game from third in 2018 to 20th this year. And this significantly impacts the entire offense. Although the Rams appeared to be a high-flying attack fueled on big plays in the passing game over the past couple seasons, the ground game was actually the foundation of the offense, with Gurley creasing defenses on an assortment of outside-zone runs with wide receivers racing across the formation on fly-sweep action prior to the snap. But Gurley's usage -- and Los Angeles' implementation of the fly sweep -- have decreased drastically.

"The fly sweep was a big part of their offense in McVay's early years," said the former NFL defensive coordinator. "McVay would give the ball to any of their receivers (Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods), so you had to stay home on the edges, which created lanes for Gurley. Without the persistent threat of the sweep, defenders can lock in on No. 30 and keep him under control in the box."

The fly sweep not only helped Gurley enjoy success, but it was a big driver in Jared Goff's ascension as a quarterback. The Rams featured a play-action passing game during those early years with the young quarterback thriving from the pocket, thanks to defenders being left dazed and confused by the misdirection action the backfield. Defensive hesitation created huge voids at intermediate range, which led to easy completions from the pocket for No. 16.

Without the threat of the running game creating easy throws for Goff, though, the former No. 1 overall pick hasn't been nearly as effective as a passer. He is one of only six quarterbacks with at least three more giveaways than passing touchdowns (14 giveaways, 11 touchdowns). In fact, Goff has seen his numbers decline in every major statistical category, including completion percentage (-4.6), yards per attempt (-1.0) and passer rating (-18.4). With an 82.7 passer rating, Goff has the lowest mark of the 11 active quarterbacks who started a playoff game in 2018. Yes, even lower than much-maligned BearsQB Mitchell Trubisky (85.2).

Considering Goff's disappointing performance, you wonder why the Rams have attempted to put so much on his shoulders when he is also playing behind a porous offensive line. Goff has been pressured on 30.5 percent of his dropbacks, which is the highest rate that he's faced since his rookie season under Jeff Fisher. With the 25-year-old QB also suddenly struggling against the blitz (53.4 percent completion rate, 7.0 yards per attempt, 2:2 TD-to-INT ratio and a 74.4 passer rating, per Next Gen Stats) -- after torching blitz pressure in 2017 and '18 (58.3 percent completion rate, 8.9 yards per attempt, 19:4 TD-to-INT ratio and 103.4 passer rating) -- questions should persist over the Rams' offense approach.

"We have to get back to the basics," a Rams official told me. "It's not too late, but we have to play the right way to turn things around."

If playing the right way means leaning on the running game, the Rams will need to get a better performance from the front five. L.A.'s offensive line has struggled following the losses of Rodger Saffold (free-agent departure) and John Sullivan (contract option declined). Without as much deception and misdirection in the offense, the Rams have been unable to block defenders at the point of attack and the resulting traffic jam at the line of scrimmage has left the offense stuck in neutral. Not to mention, the New England Patriots' Super Bowl-winning blueprint -- which featured a variety of exotic stunts, line games and fronts -- has been copied by defensive coordinators, and the Ramshaven't come up with solid counters.

If the Rams are going to re-emerge as contenders in a loaded NFC field, McVay will need to come up with answers to the league's copycat tactics while returning the offense to the "bread and butter" approach that used deception, misdirection and a strong, Gurley-led ground attack. Let's see if the offensive wizard can rediscover his magical powers and fix the league's most disappointing attack.

Users who are viewing this thread