What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyle Allen, HOU (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Kyle Allen completed 19-of-26 passes for 261 yards and four touchdowns in the Panthers' 35-20, Week 3 beatdown of the Cardinals.

Cam Newton (foot) missed this one and was dreadful Weeks 1-2 with far too many off-the-mark passes. Allen was a breath of fresh air, getting the ball in his playmakers' hands, but this Arizona defense has made every quarterback its faced look like the best passer in the league. Still, Allen played the hand he was dealt and set this defense ablaze. Greg Olsen was running free all day, catching two of Allen's touchdowns. Another was a 52-yarder to D.J. Moore, and the first was a five-yarder to Curtis Samuel. Everybody got in on the fun. It's unclear if Newton will be back in the lineup for Week 4 in Houston.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:13 PM ET

Last edited:
I believe that Rivera has already said that Cam is the automatic starter when he is healthy.  Of course, a game or two more like this and that could,change...

He's gotta be the guy right?  Cam seems to be going through a Luck style crisis.   The team had new life with him
I was wondering the same thing. Cam isn’t physically near what he used to be. Plus he mentally has regressed and seems to be focused on fashion, or lack thereof, these days. 

Seeing was believing in Kyle Allen’s improbable start for Panthers. It’s no fluke

There were times, while watching Kyle Allen in person on Sunday in Arizona, that I really couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

The way Allen would hit receivers in perfect stride, allowing them to catch the ball and do something with it. The way he scampered around in the pocket and then — when it seemed certain he was about to throw the ball out of bounds — could find a receiver.

Almost everything Allen touched turn to gold Sunday in the Panthers’ 38-20 win over Arizona. Sentences like this one were uttered about Allen in the Panthers’ locker room after the game, from tight end Greg Olsen: “All four of his touchdowns were very different.”

All four of them?! Panthers quarterback Cam Newton — who didn’t make the trip to Arizona to better rehab the foot injury that kept him out of this game — hadn’t managed a passing or rushing touchdown in any of his past four starts. And now Allen, only 23, is throwing four TD passes in a single game?

No wonder the Panthers’ locker room felt as light as one of Pennywise’s red balloons on Sunday, but without any of the residual creepiness. The Panthers finally had something go right Sunday. And then another thing. And then so many things that — after two straight home games that were embarrassments — Carolina found an embarrassment of riches. 

Much of this was due to Allen, whose poise after a first quarter strip-sack botched the Panthers’ first drive was contagious. “Kyle did a great job today,” said running back Christian McCaffrey, who contributed 153 rushing yards and a career-long 76-yard TD run himself. “He made plays all over the place.”

That he did, playing only about half an hour from where he grew up with the sort of calm demeanor that you would expect of someone with a whole lot more than the two NFL starts Allen now has.

Allen had a few bursts of emotion — particularly a high-stepping routine worthy of a collegiate drum major when he threw his fourth and final TD pass to Olsen on a beautifully lofted pass to the back of the end zone. But mostly he seemed unfazed, unhurried and unsurprised that an undrafted free agent who was out of a job for much of the 2018 season would play this well. In doing so, Allen has given Panthers fans something to talk about — and something of a quarterback controversy to debate.

“For me, it’s just football, man,” Allen shrugged. “I just kept telling myself to have a plan when you come to the line of scrimmage. Don’t make it more difficult than it is.”

Allen said he would actually talk to himself as he readied for the snap on each play, saying: “Have a plan, have a plan.”

The plan kept working. “He just stepped in the huddle with the energy, like he’d been in the huddle all season, like a veteran quarterback,” said Curtis Samuel, who caught Allen’s first TD pass. “He wasn’t nervous. He wasn’t shaken. He just delivered passes.”

Allen’s four-touchdown passing performance was the first time that had happened for Carolina since Newton threw four against Green Bay in December 2017.

Allen’s 144.4 quarterback passer rating — based on his 19-for-26 completion rate for 261 yards, four TDs and zero interceptions — was the second-highest mark ever by a Panthers quarterback in a single game (minimum 10 pass attempts). Newton, again, holds the record with a 153.3 rating against Atlanta during his MVP season of 2015.

Now let’s step back for a moment. Kyle Allen isn’t Joe Montana or Tom Brady. Postpone the coronation. No need to get the Hall of Fame gold jacket sized up quite yet. This was the Carolina Panthers (1-2) playing a very good game against a very bad team — Arizona is now 3-15-1 since the start of the 2018 season. 

What does it mean for the long term? Hard to tell. The Panthers have seen brief bursts of brilliance at the quarterback position before that flamed out — I remember watching Matt Moore once out-dueling Brett Favre. Then again, what happened Sunday is kind of the way an undrafted free agent like Jake Delhomme began his career, too.

With Allen, the Panthers have somebody who looks like they can play in the NFL. If you dismissed what happened in Week 17 of last year against New Orleans as a fluke, you couldn’t so easily dismiss this one. 

“In his second start, you have to tip your hat to how well he played,” Arizona coach Kliff Kingsbury said of Allen. 

“I think he’s real confident in who he is as a football player,” Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. “He was a very heralded player coming into college, he had a good college career and I think he’s just confident that he has that kind of ability. He’s got a lot of swag, which is kind of interesting when you watch him, and he’s been able to back it up.”

With Newton possibly sidelined for one or more weeks, Allen is going to get more opportunities. Ron Rivera is deeply loyal to Newton and he said Sunday that Newton would definitely return to being the Panthers starter again once he’s healthy.

“He’s our quarterback and he’s who we rely on,” Rivera said of Newton. “But for now, we’re going to stick with Kyle, and we’ll keep rolling and see how things unfold as we go forward.”

I was at the game, and man, this guy looked good. I’d be shocked if Cam got his job back. This will go down as one of the more famous “Wally Pipps” in recent time.

Here’s the quote from Rivera:

Now if you’re the Panthers, you’re not making a final decision on who your long-term starting quarterback is right now — and Newton is going to play again at some point. When I asked coach Ron Rivera after the game if it was “automatic” that when Newton was healthy he would return as the starting quarterback, Rivera said yes.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article235264087.html#storylink=cpy
Because he's a clueless HC.

Gonna be fun watching CAR fans boo cam at home after every overthrown pass and every bounce pass he delivers.

NFL Update‏ @MySportsUpdate 3m3 minutes ago

Kyle Allen will continue to be the starter until Cam Newton is healthy. #Panthers have ruled Cam Newton out for Sunday’s game vs Houston.

NFL Update‏ @MySportsUpdate 3m3 minutes ago

Kyle Allen will continue to be the starter until Cam Newton is healthy. #Panthers have ruled Cam Newton out for Sunday’s game vs Houston.
I have a short bench 16 team league where you basically to carry two qbs.  Cam is my next cut, something stinks here that we were pretending Thursday he might play to where he’s ruled out on Monday 

Brendan Marks @BrendanRMarks

RR on Kyle Allen: "It was really no different than what we saw last year against New Orleans." Credits Greg Olsen again for giving him someone stable, especially early, to look to.

It's not like Allen is a scrub despite being undrafted. He was highly recruited out of high school & beat out Kyler Murray at Texas A&M.

Crazy roller coaster career when you consider Allen was a street FA as late as last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumor in Pantherville is that Cam has the dreaded lisfranc injury.  He will miss many games.

Rotoworld:

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports Cam Newton (foot) is dealing with a Lisfranc injury.

Although his timetable is unclear, multiple sources told Person that surgery isn't planned for Newton at this time; the fact it's even been mentioned is concerning. A non-surgical approach to recovery from Lisfranc normally takes 4-8 weeks to heal. If the Panthers choose to keep Newton out beyond their Week 7 bye, he'll be sidelined for the next three games with potential to return in late-October (at best). At this point, it would not be shocking to see him shutdown for the second consecutive season. Kyle Allen will continue to start in his absence.

SOURCE: Joseph Person on Twitter

Sep 24, 2019, 9:57 AM ET

Does anyone believe he's a long term answer at QB?  I have a ton of Panthers fan friends but none seem convinced quite yet.  

Does anyone believe he's a long term answer at QB?  I have a ton of Panthers fan friends but none seem convinced quite yet.  
Hard to determine after just a few games. But what I like is the confident/decisive throws he has made with the football, his short/mid range accuracy (haven’t seen a deep ball yet), and his teammates seem to hold him in high regard. One to keep an eye on for sure.

He's cheap for them and if he shows something going forward  I wonder if they offer him a long term deal next season. Then again, if Cam comes back and looks good through 2020, do they offer him big bucks to stay when he becomes a UFA and is 32 years old?

He's cheap for them and if he shows something going forward  I wonder if they offer him a long term deal next season. Then again, if Cam comes back and looks good through 2020, do they offer him big bucks to stay when he becomes a UFA and is 32 years old?
I just bought into and traded in my Dyno for Allen, so I now own both Can and him, so I feel I can say this pretty impartially now..... there's like no chance of this happening. Cam's shoulder is so beyond dead at this point. No surgery, nothing is gonna bring it back. And now he's dealing with lower body stuff. It's very close to over for him IMO.

Kyle Allen completed 24-of-34 passes for 232 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Panthers' 16-10, Week 4 win over the Texans.

Allen's best plays of the day were each to Jarius Wright, the first being a beautiful strike down the seam, and the second resulting in another chunk play after Allen somehow managed to evade J.J. Watt in the pocket. The performance was otherwise forgettable, as Allen lost three fumbles on sacks and consistently looked lost if his first read wasn’t there. He deserves respect for taking numerous downfield shots to Curtis Samuel, but Allen’s lack of a rushing floor and struggle to feed anyone other than Christian McCaffrey likely won’t result in many pristine fantasy performances. Next week’s matchup against the Jaguars isn't the spot to stream Allen.

Sep 29, 2019, 4:35 PM ET

Allen looks like a legit NFL talent to me.  Good arm, solid poise, and he anticipates throws.  There's a lot to work with there.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Kyle Allen will start against the Jaguars in Week 5.

This was fully expected as Cam Newton remains without a hard timeline to return. Allen's three strip-sacks were an issue in Carolina's win over the Texans Sunday, but his ability to create on the fly is still the Panthers' best option under center until Newton comes back in '19 (which isn't guaranteed). At this point Allen should be looked to as Carolina's presumed starter until further notice.

SOURCE: Joseph Person on Twitter

Sep 30, 2019, 12:12 PM ET

Kyle Allen completed 20-of-32 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns in the Panthers' Week 6 win over the Bucs.

Allen didn't need to do much with Jameis Winston turning the ball over all game. He managed the game effectively, with his touchdowns going to Curtis Samuel and Christian McCaffrey. Allen has four straight wins since taking over for Cam Newton and has yet to throw an interception. There's a chance Allen could remain the starter even when Newton returns.

Users who are viewing this thread