What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (9 Viewers)

Still like the Sockeyes better
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl-seattle-doesnt-rule-out-kraken-for-team-name-after-report-suggests-it-has-already-been-chosen/

Hoven went on to suggest he’d been told by a team source that the franchise had been leaning toward “Sockeyes” as a name, but he added that was nixed because of possible legal issues. Romance novel writer Jami Davenport of Shelton has a Seattle Sockeyes book series.

In a phone interview Wednesday, Davenport told The Seattle Times she has only a book-related trademark for the name, but nonetheless had her lawyer write the team a year ago inviting officials to discuss the issue. She filed for the Seattle Sockeyes trademark Dec. 21, 2017, two weeks after the group that became NHL Seattle was given permission by the league to apply for an expansion team, which was awarded a year later.

“He (Davenport’s lawyer) let them know that I was willing to work with them,” she said. “And we haven’t heard a thing.”

Davenport said she doesn’t like talking about the issue in public because of the undue attention it brings. But as a hockey fan, she has a deposit on NHL Seattle season tickets and wants the team to do well.

“I don’t like people thinking I’m the holdup here, because I’m not,” she said.

John Gibson Kobe Tribute Goalie Mask

The last frame (back of mask), is very cool.

This Kobe Bryant tribute mask will be worn by John Gibson tonight as the #NHLDucks take on the Lightning at Honda Center. The mask features a silhouette of Kobe and his daughter, Gianna, surrounded by the names of the seven other victims of the tragedy. It also includes the years of all five of his championships and his 81-point game. The numbers 24 and 8 are prominently displayed on both sides of the mask.

this Wings team might be putting up the best tank job in the history of the cap era. with a little luck they might hit below 40. impressive.
man, they were brutal tonight. that game was tough to watch. Detroit had 16 SOG and Helm had 6 of them. Bernier was only one to show up tonight.

Bill Brasky said:
this Wings team might be putting up the best tank job in the history of the cap era. with a little luck they might hit below 40. impressive.
3 of their 12 wins against the habs. Lmao.  :wall:

JaxBill said:
man, they were brutal tonight. that game was tough to watch. Detroit had 16 SOG and Helm had 6 of them. Bernier was only one to show up tonight.
lots of lower bowl open seats last night due to corporate tickets and seasonal affective disorder, as I understand it

Man that guy must really love Detroit to leave the Lightning and this Tampa weather for dreary winter Detroit and that team that has miles to go. I guess it’s home but most people get past that. 

Man that guy must really love Detroit to leave the Lightning and this Tampa weather for dreary winter Detroit and that team that has miles to go. I guess it’s home but most people get past that. 
Easy access to Windsor strip clubs?  :unsure:

they actually aren’t into bad of a spot, especially if they land #1.  I could see them back in the playoffs within two years

they actually aren’t into bad of a spot, especially if they land #1.  I could see them back in the playoffs within two years
I know nothing at all but I thought I read it was really grim. Good prospect pool?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never root for an injury or be happy about it. But the Rangers fan in me does question if Toronto bends on Georgie now that Andersen is hurt.

Hope he is OK though

I know nothing at all but I thought I read it was really grim. Good prospect pool?
They have some fairly good prospects.  Landing Lafreniere would be huge, but they still have some major holes on defense.  Two years is probably a bit optimistic as it stands.

I grew up watching Yzerman in Detroit, but the Lightning haven't really missed a beat since he left.

Ovi trying his darndest to catch Gretzky THIS season. 3 more goals tonight in oh, about 4 and a half minutes in the 3rd period. 

14 goals in his last 7 games. 

:tebow:

Ovechkin with 0 shots through 2 periods, scores a natural hat trick in about 6 minutes in the 3rd

14 goals in last 7 games. Now at 40 for the season, 698 for the career 

Easy access to Windsor Montreal strip clubs?  :unsure:
FTFY - anyone will tell you that the extra 9 hour drive is absolutely worth it. 

I would never root for an injury or be happy about it. But the Rangers fan in me does question if Toronto bends on Georgie now that Andersen is hurt.

Hope he is OK though
It's as much as Hutchinson's total variability as it is a potential outage for Freddie that the Leafs are likely going to look much harder at Georgiev. Could see them making a play for Ryan Miller, too. As bad as this team needs a 2nd netminder, they need to find a way to shed Ceci, who continues to be a complete liability, for a serviceable RHD.

Ovechkin with 0 shots through 2 periods, scores a natural hat trick in about 6 minutes in the 3rd

14 goals in last 7 games. Now at 40 for the season, 698 for the career 
Even through his showboating, dirty days, it's really, really hard to hate on Ovie. The guy is simply superb, and his dominance only grows. 

Kal El said:
I grew up watching Yzerman in Detroit, but the Lightning haven't really missed a beat since he left.
JBB Didn't handle the goalie situation very well. And it's yet to be seen if he can continue the streak of cap friendly contracts. 

JBB Didn't handle the goalie situation very well. And it's yet to be seen if he can continue the streak of cap friendly contracts. 
Vasilevskiy is certainly one of the better goalies in the league, but the coaching for the position isn't great, and apparently hasn't been for a while.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
FTFY - anyone will tell you that the extra 9 hour drive is absolutely worth it. 
Won't disagree with you there.  :D Niagara Falls is pretty good too although I havent been to either city in years so not sure if times have changed. 

that's what Sabres fans thought too
How's Dahlin been? We dont hear much about him. Seems to be way more hype about Hughes but Dahlin was supposed to be a game changer. Just bad environment or players surrounding him? Or maybe he has been very good and only quiet because its buffalo?  

How's Dahlin been? We dont hear much about him. Seems to be way more hype about Hughes but Dahlin was supposed to be a game changer. Just bad environment or players surrounding him? Or maybe he has been very good and only quiet because its buffalo?  
he had a bad first half of the year or so, but was still putting up points on the PP. been better since then. defensemen typically take longer to develop so I'm not too worried about him. he's still really young.

he had a bad first half of the year or so, but was still putting up points on the PP. been better since then. defensemen typically take longer to develop so I'm not too worried about him. he's still really young.
Thanks. Was just curious. With Makar and Hughes getting so much press I started to wonder what's up with RD.  

Thanks. Was just curious. With Makar and Hughes getting so much press I started to wonder what's up with RD.  
yeah, he's not at their level right now but also not being asked to do too much either. I think he should probably get more time than the 19 minutes/game he's been getting.

Dach dangled Brodin so hard he toe picked into the corner last night and he's one of the best skaters in the league.  Blackhawks still suck though.  except Stan.

I'm off to UofM Friday to watch M play the Badgers.  As a Habs "fan" I'm looking forward to watch Caufield in person.  Earlier speculation was that they may try to sign him after the college season ends - although that may be doubtful now. Montreal needs him to be the scorer he looks to be.   Also want to see Dhooghe as my son used to play against him.  I'm disappointed for him that he never grew. He has so much talent. 

I'm off to UofM Friday to watch M play the Badgers.  As a Habs "fan" I'm looking forward to watch Caufield in person.  Earlier speculation was that they may try to sign him after the college season ends - although that may be doubtful now. Montreal needs him to be the scorer he looks to be.   Also want to see Dhooghe as my son used to play against him.  I'm disappointed for him that he never grew. He has so much talent. 
I can't believe the season Wisconsin is having.  what a disappointment.  Caufield has been fantastic though.

I can't believe the season Wisconsin is having.  what a disappointment.  Caufield has been fantastic though.
I don't follow US college all that much but with all their NHL drafted players and, what, 3 first rounders? I definitely would have expected them to be one of the top teams .

I don't follow US college all that much but with all their NHL drafted players and, what, 3 first rounders? I definitely would have expected them to be one of the top teams .
I think Miller is overrated and Turcotte has been underwhelming, but there is way too much talent on that roster to be sitting last in that division.  like recent years they still can't keep the puck out of their net.

Kal El said:
He hasn't been gone that long.  Not that I expect them to fall apart, but it isn't like they have made a lot of changes since he left either.

He hasn't been gone that long.  Not that I expect them to fall apart, but it isn't like they have made a lot of changes since he left either.
He was semi-retired for a few years, and JBB was making the decisions before he left to go back to Detroit.

He was semi-retired for a few years, and JBB was making the decisions before he left to go back to Detroit.
He spent one year as a senior adviser, not "a few years".  Regardless it isn't worth arguing over.  He definitely wasn't single-handedly propping them up.

Users who are viewing this thread