What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (8 Viewers)

When Igor went down, that was it IMO.  He was developing an air of confidant cockiness and the team felt it.  Then he got hurt, then Kreider goes down.  Georgiev is a backup at best and Henrik has been 38 years old.  When you don't play a guy that old, what can you expect?  Also, trotting out Smith in place of Skjei seems odd, unless Hajek isn't ready to come back.  Smith is simply dreadful, but I understand his contract situation.  Better this team doesn't make the playoffs and gets another chance at a high pick.  Also, gotta figure out why Quinn, who was hired to massage the young guys, doesn't get anything much out of Chytil , Howden and Kakko, while Lias quit and Kravtsov is buried and Gauthier gets 5 mins a game. 

When Igor went down, that was it IMO.  He was developing an air of confidant cockiness and the team felt it.  Then he got hurt, then Kreider goes down.  Georgiev is a backup at best and Henrik has been 38 years old.  When you don't play a guy that old, what can you expect?  Also, trotting out Smith in place of Skjei seems odd, unless Hajek isn't ready to come back.  Smith is simply dreadful, but I understand his contract situation.  Better this team doesn't make the playoffs and gets another chance at a high pick.  Also, gotta figure out why Quinn, who was hired to massage the young guys, doesn't get anything much out of Chytil , Howden and Kakko, while Lias quit and Kravtsov is buried and Gauthier gets 5 mins a game. 
Nobody drafts players like the Rangers do.

Yup.   

@kevindelury: Between the car accident and now the Kreider injury a few days after re-signing him the Rangers are beginning to resemble the Mets. Someone please keep Panarin away from wild boars.
All NHL teams face injury through the season, and some get more hit by the injury bug than others -- I think for those teams still in the hunt in the East, CBJ has some ridiculous amount of like 380+ man-games lost.

You look at a teams that have had a far-above amount of injury strikes this year, like the Pens (who found ways to keep winning) and the Red Wings (who didn't, if they were even winning in the first place). It's a reality in an NHL season that teams need to adjust every year because of injury.

But for all of the realities of an NHL season's inevitable injuries -- all teams are affected, it's why you need serviceable talent in 3rd/4th lines and bottom D pairings and a good farm system to call upon, etc. -- all of that doesn't always take into account the timing of injury.

For a team like the Rangers that has relatively fewer injuries this year (fourth fewest in man-games lost or so), the timing of losing a star top 6 forward and some backup goalie depth at this point of the season is arguably as meaningful as quantity of injury through a season. Let's see what they do with the two remaining emergency recalls, and who steps up -- perhaps Chytil gets promoted and shifted to wing like he did earlier on, DiGiuseppe or Lemieux move up, or a more general shuffle happens to retain balance of talent across the top 2 lines.

All NHL teams face injury through the season, and some get more hit by the injury bug than others -- I think for those teams still in the hunt in the East, CBJ has some ridiculous amount of like 380+ man-games lost.

You look at a teams that have had a far-above amount of injury strikes this year, like the Pens (who found ways to keep winning) and the Red Wings (who didn't, if they were even winning in the first place). It's a reality in an NHL season that teams need to adjust every year because of injury.

But for all of the realities of an NHL season's inevitable injuries -- all teams are affected, it's why you need serviceable talent in 3rd/4th lines and bottom D pairings and a good farm system to call upon, etc. -- all of that doesn't always take into account the timing of injury.

For a team like the Rangers that has relatively fewer injuries this year (fourth fewest in man-games lost or so), the timing of losing a star top 6 forward and some backup goalie depth at this point of the season is arguably as meaningful as quantity of injury through a season. Let's see what they do with the two remaining emergency recalls, and who steps up -- perhaps Chytil gets promoted and shifted to wing like he did earlier on, DiGiuseppe or Lemieux move up, or a more general shuffle happens to retain balance of talent across the top 2 lines.
It's not the injuries themselves, it's the timing/how they occurred is the reason for the Mets comparison.   If Igor is injured in a practice/game or Kreider is injured before the long extension, then there wouldn't be a comparison to Cespedes getting injured by a wild boar. 

Stompin' Tom Connors said:

That's just not true.   That kid is not backup depth.       

I feel like they are going to break my heart early  again.....
Probably.  Just nice to see them playing (and winning) meaningful games this time of year.

I am keeping my expectations low. If they won a series, the season would be wildly successful IMHO. If they get bounced first round, it all depends how they get bounced and by who.

That's just not true.   That kid is not backup depth.       
I think we're agreeing here. He's definitely proved he can and should be this team's starter, so my comment wasn't a slight against him but where he technically sits in the depth chart. The Rangers have three (maybe arguably two after Lundquist's poor last effort) goalies they can reliably use in rotation, and Shesterkin provides some incredible depth for the stretch.

As long as Tampa doesn't draw the Jackets in round 1 again, I'll feel okay about their chances.
I get that you have PTSD from the cannon but it's not even close to the same team.  by far the best wild card to root for, but I doubt they are getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that you have PSTD from the cannon but it's not even close to the same team.  by far the best wild card to root for, but I doubt they are getting in.
Tampa is almost guaranteed to play a Toronto in round 1. Beats getting the Metro team imo. 

I get that you have PTSD from the cannon but it's not even close to the same team.  by far the best wild card to root for, but I doubt they are getting in.
The cannon wasn't the problem, it was the complacency Tampa showed. Still, they shouldn't make that mistake again.

The cannon wasn't the problem, it was the complacency Tampa showed. Still, they shouldn't make that mistake again.
They played a horrible 30 minutes but it was a 2-2 game if Tyler wasn’t 2 MM offsides. Dumbest rule in sports history, every idiot involved with creating it should be ashamed of themselves. 

Fudge....Johnny Boychuck last night got a skate in the face and 90 stitches. Lou Said the eye was not damaged b/c he had his eyes closed. MF thats scary. I'm not liking it b/c I'm superstitious AF and I'm around hockeys skates way too much. 

They played a horrible 30 minutes but it was a 2-2 game if Tyler wasn’t 2 MM offsides. Dumbest rule in sports history, every idiot involved with creating it should be ashamed of themselves. 
I was wondering why that goal last night got disallowed, but I was referring to last year's playoff exit by the Lightning. I do understand the offsides rule, but it is annoying that they still struggle with putting together a full 60 minutes of good hockey.

Wilson doing a great job punching Hague's helmet. He must have connected 7-8 times punching the top of the helmet. Fun stuff. 

A flyers-Capitals 1st round series would be fun. I don't know if either team would want that, but they match up well with each other

Tampa is almost guaranteed to play a Toronto in round 1. Beats getting the Metro team imo. 
:blackdot: :popcorn:

Though you aren't wrong -- the first round Pens/Flyers could be a barnbuster of a series to watch (though the Battle of Alberta that's shaping up in the West is a donnybrook in waiting).

Still, we have two games left to play against each other in the regular season. That should prove to be a good preview.

Lightning shut out the Canadiens, 4-0, with Vasilevskiy notching a shutout and the Lightning sweeping Montreal for I think the 3rd time in their history.

:blackdot: :popcorn:

Though you aren't wrong -- the first round Pens/Flyers could be a barnbuster of a series to watch (though the Battle of Alberta that's shaping up in the West is a donnybrook in waiting).

Still, we have two games left to play against each other in the regular season. That should prove to be a good preview.
Bolts/Leafs would be a good series - I just feel the metro teams are a little better. Could easily be wrong though, I barely know anything about non-Bolts hockey! 

Habs legend Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard passes away today at 84. Owner of 11 Stanley Cup rings . 11!  

RIP #16  :sadbanana:

Habs legend Henri "Pocket Rocket" Richard passes away today at 84. Owner of 11 Stanley Cup rings . 11!  

RIP #16  :sadbanana:
Sad news indeed. I think only Bill Russell has as many championships in NA pro sports.

Was nowhere near as prolific as his older bro in terms of goals and points, but IMO Henri was the much better two-way player.

RIP.

Brett Cyrgalis✔@BrettCyrgalis

Kaapo Kakko down on the fourth line at #NYR practice. Julien Gauthier up on the right with Howden and Chytil. All three goalies practicing, with Georgiev and Lundqvist splitting time. Shesterkin has his own net.

Quinn said Shesterkin looked good today and there is a chance he could start tomorrow. #NYR

Edit: C'mon Panthers...let's get on a roll and knock Toronto out.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-marc-bergevin-sees-canadiens-present-future/

18. The desire to changing the offside rule to “breaking the plane” is a victory for Colin Campbell. He proposed this a few years ago, but there wasn’t enough support. That’s changed as everyone realized the onion was being sliced too thin. What also helped was data. From 2017-18 until now, 45 of 71 “skate in the air” challenges would have been good goals instead of disallowed ones. And the number of overall offside challenges would have dropped from 214 to 143.

Users who are viewing this thread