What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (2 Viewers)

Talbot deal makes no sense.  Dubnyk obviously on the decline but this is a marginal improvement, if at all.  instead of paying $3.6x3 + $2.1 for Dubnyk's retained salary they could have easily just rode out his last year at $4.3 and see where Kappo is at next season.  lots of better bridge options out there imo and only needed to go 2 years.  Talbot has no leverage here.

@AntSanPhilly: While the Flyers have been involved in discussions with Kevin Shattenkirk today, they are unlikely to sign him unless they decide to spend more money/go longer-term.

He has several offers right now, and I'm led to believe they are better than the Flyers are willing to spend.
@JoeSmithTB: Am told Kevin Shattenkirk won’t be returning to #tblightning. Tampa Bay offerred a three year deal late last night, but it was not enough and veteran defenseman got a lot of interest on UFA market

So far today, the Flyers have drafted guys with first names of Emil and Zayde. 

Makes me yearn for the days of traditional hockey names like Zarley.

Surprised they didn't add to their stockpile of Travises (Travi??).
The love for Zayde Wisdom is nice to see, and seems authentic. Kid does have a feisty backstory, but they really do point to the guy being a good hard working kid. He jumped 300 spots from the beginning of the season, and he likes to play physical. Kid came to a good team to help him continue to grow and would be nice to see him as a 3rd liner in a year or 2

Last edited by a moderator:
At least this makes for some interesting drama. It doesn’t seem like the Blues are going to have all that great a hockey club anymore, but at least it’s kinda fun to see how this will play out. Who the hell is even in the running for Pietrangelo now? Vegas... and Columbus?

Pietrangelo is obviously getting more than $6.5/yr.  but if they’re going to give Krug 7 years don’t you just pony up for the much better player?  oof
Not necessarily.  Pietro is too old to give the years and contract he wants.  Bummer to see him go, but it is what it is. 

TJ Brodie to the Leafs ($5MM x 4yrs)

seems like a nice pickup for them to help shore up their defense
I figured he was 3rd best available dman after Petro and Krug and given Leafs cap situation maybe this is the best case scenario (if Pietrangelo was never a realistic option). 

I think Pietrangelo is one of the most underrated defensemen of this era. He’s always been really good but especially at the little things that don’t necessarily count up in stats. Whoever gets him is gonna get a great player, probably at a discount, and probably for the entire contract. I am just dumbfounded that this happened. I don’t know if we will ever get the truth of what happened here, but I bet it’s interesting. Seems to me like Armstrong let his ego get the best of him here. 

I think Pietrangelo is one of the most underrated defensemen of this era. He’s always been really good but especially at the little things that don’t necessarily count up in stats. Whoever gets him is gonna get a great player, probably at a discount, and probably for the entire contract. I am just dumbfounded that this happened. I don’t know if we will ever get the truth of what happened here, but I bet it’s interesting. Seems to me like Armstrong let his ego get the best of him here. 
As a fellow Blues fan, not sure I agree.   He is almost 31 and wanted an 8-year contract (with some type of no-trade clause that the franchise has never given...cannot recall the specifics).  Sounds like his agent, who is a notorious negotiator, played a little too much hardball and the Blues were ready to move on.  The worst thing would have been waiting out to see what happened with him, he leaves, and they are left getting no one to replace him.  It's bittersweet to see him go this soon after winning our first Cup, but that is the way of the business.

Not necessarily.  Pietro is too old to give the years and contract he wants.  Bummer to see him go, but it is what it is. 
he’s one year older than Krug.  which was my point.  if you’re willing to give Krug 7 you might as well keep your top defenseman who also plays defense for about $2/yr more

From Dom at the Athletic:

Somehow, Jack Johnson was able to get another NHL contract. He is no longer an NHL-calibre player and is unlikely to be worth any deal at any price. Even at $1.15 million for one year, it’s a bad investment, one he outplays just 7 percent of the time. The Rangers paid a fair amount to get out of Marc Staal’s contract in what should’ve been a strong addition by subtraction move, but then went out and signed someone even worse. It’s hard to believe signings like these are still happening in 2020

From what I’ve heard, read, seen, Pietrangelo is basically in his way to Vegas. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was for 7x8.25 but with Krug getting 6x6.5, I wouldn’t be shocked at 7x7.5 for Pietrangelo. 

There’s also been rumors that Erik Haula and Vegas are interesting in reuniting. With Vegas‘a carp crunch, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Haula take a more team friendly deal. Something in the $1.5-$2m range for a year. Thornton is definitely a possibility to bring in, depending on what he wants to do. Vgk fans will hate that so much. 

Vegas will be able to have just 20 in the active roster as the AHL affiliate will be playing their games around 10 minutes away. The biggest things are making sure they can secure Pietrangelo and trading flower. 

Details of Krug's contract...I wish Krug very well...seems like a great kid and you get nothing but 100% from him but I am glad the B's did not tie him up to a long term contract, especially with 5 years of no trade in it...that being said losing him is a big loss and it's gonna be real interesting to see what they do with this nice chunk of cap space they have.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-rumors-salary-no-trade-134218139.html

Pietrangelo was reportedly caught off guard, presumably by the Blues signing of Krug.

Uh, Petro declined the Blues offer.  Were they supposed to sit around and wait for him and possibly end up with nothing if he leaves and Krug and others had already signed elsewhere? I think Petro's agent overplayed his hand big time.

Pietrangelo was reportedly caught off guard, presumably by the Blues signing of Krug.

Uh, Petro declined the Blues offer.  Were they supposed to sit around and wait for him and possibly end up with nothing if he leaves and Krug and others had already signed elsewhere? I think Petro's agent overplayed his hand big time.
He's going to get a huge deal but St. Louis and Toronto moving on to their respective plan B's might somewhat impact his negotiating power in terms of maxing out $$$

Nice solid signing by the B’s in Craig Smith...quality player at an affordable price...lot of the locals had been advocating for him:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/10/10/bruins-sign-potential-steal-in-former-predators-forward-craig-smith/

Hearing some rumors B’s may make a run at Petro (seems like the pundits feel Vegas is the front-runner)...that would be a monster move...they seem to be in on Hall as well but it seems like 75% of the NHL also is...if the B's got Hall after signing Smith gotta believe DeBrusk would probably be on the move in that scenario.

Kevin Paul Dupont

@GlobeKPD

Per Sweeney, Bruins have not engaged with Pietrangelo's camp.

Barrie took $3.75m for the one year to be with Edmonton. Pretty interesting deal there. 

@FriedgeHNIC: CHI/COL deal is Saad and Dennis Gilbert for Zadorov and Anton Lindholm. CHI retains $1M on Saad.

@SWhyno: Devils benefit from Maple Leafs clearing cap space, acquiring winger Andreas Johnsson for forward Joey Anderson.

@SWhyno: Devils benefit from Maple Leafs clearing cap space, acquiring winger Andreas Johnsson for forward Joey Anderson.
Johnsson was the obvious one for Toronto to move to make cap room for Brodie. I hope this means I never have to hear another William Nylander trade rumour but I suspect another one has been floated into the Internet in the time it took me to type this. 

Starting to think the Flyers don't sign anybody else since the "logical fits" are disappearing. Let the kids play and make a trade if it warrants.

@frank_seravalli: Trevor van Riemsdyk is joining the #caps. 1-year at $800k

So far today, the Flyers have drafted guys with first names of Emil and Zayde. 

Makes me yearn for the days of traditional hockey names like Zarley.

Surprised they didn't add to their stockpile of Travises (Travi??).
@DownGoesBrown: In just over 24 hours, the Leafs have added players named Zach, Travis, Wayne, Joey and T.J. No idea if they’re any closer to contending but they’re on the way to one hell of a boy band.

Users who are viewing this thread