What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Road to the 2020 Belmont Stakes * * * MAXFIELD OUT (1 Viewer)

King Guillermo

Equibase slapped a 110 speed fig on his 49-1 romp home, third highest number since the race began, back in 1991.

checking his next probable start ... it's the Kentucky Derby on 5/2 - no immediate plans to wheel this cat prior to.   

it will be an 8 week layoff for a horse who just ran (and convincingly won) his first ever dirt route this past Saturday - it was his first out in 4 months (last was a turf route in November), and first dirt try since his maiden, which was a 6th place finish in a 5.5f sprint back in September!

:deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York unsealed indictments against Thoroughbred veterinarians and trainers, including Jason Servis and Jorge Navarro Monday in Manhattan. A total of 27 defendants were named in four separate indictments, alleging that the two trainers and 25 others engaged in a “widespread, corrupt scheme by racehorse trainers, veterinarians, PED distributors and others to manufacture, distribute, and receive adulterated and misbranded PEDs and to secretly administer those PEDs to racehorses under scheme participants’ control.”

full article:

horrible optics for an already besieged sport

death knells keep clanging ... the game as we know it is in great peril.

hard to be fan amidst #### like this ... oh, and Servis can go #### himself - guess the Max Security DQ was karma   :bye:

look, we all know this #### is rampant, we accept it as part of the gig, as ####ed up as that is, it's truth - hell, i know for damn sure a great deal of my winnings were procured by jacked animals -  not entirely cool with that at all this morning ... complicit in my wagering and patronizing of tracks, etc.   the ol' *winkwink* #### is tough to swallow.  wtf to make of this. 

silver lining?  perhaps the game gets cleaned up - something's gotta give, no?

breath is not being held. 

####. 

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York unsealed indictments against Thoroughbred veterinarians and trainers, including Jason Servis and Jorge Navarro Monday in Manhattan. A total of 27 defendants were named in four separate indictments, alleging that the two trainers and 25 others engaged in a “widespread, corrupt scheme by racehorse trainers, veterinarians, PED distributors and others to manufacture, distribute, and receive adulterated and misbranded PEDs and to secretly administer those PEDs to racehorses under scheme participants’ control.”

full article:

horrible optics for an already besieged sport

death knells keep clanging ... the game as we know it is in great peril.

hard to be fan amidst #### like this ... oh, and Servis can go #### himself - guess the Max Security DQ was karma   :bye:

look, we all know this #### is rampant, we accept it as part of the gig, as ####ed up as that is, it's truth - hell, i know for damn sure a great deal of my winnings were procured by jacked animals -  not entirely cool with that at all this morning ... complicit in my wagering and patronizing of tracks, etc.   the ol' *winkwink* #### is tough to swallow.  wtf to make of this. 

silver lining?  perhaps the game gets cleaned up - something's gotta give, no?

breath is not being held. 

####. 
Yeah. I feel pretty bad about this #### too. It has been big on the news here in town. ☹️

Yeah. I feel pretty bad about this #### too. It has been big on the news here in town. ☹️
Ete ***** just ran a lights the #### out Fountain of Youth, some 10 days ago ... his trainer,  Biancone, was popped about 12 yrs ago for having cobra venom in his barn ... now, not saying something was foul in Gulfstream, but masking agents have been perfected over time.  

not good.  

makes ya think. 

It's always been this way, will always be this way in a business that is half a celebration of a singular beauty and half about fleecing people who have more dollars than sense. Having grown up spending half my summers on the New England fair circuit - where i'd make the odd dollar sleeping in stalls to keep watch over tomorrow's favorites against bettors w knee-freezing needles - i'm as much used to the uglies as the beauties.

Simple fact is, there is not much genius to training thoroughbreds - care & luck, mostly. The equine heart is an organ behind only the human brain in its magnificence and it is virtually impossible to stress without raising major hell in horses' locomotive parts, esp the elongated cannon bones of the thoroughbred and the joints which must support it. Having patter for the owners is a much more refined art than innovating new ways to prepare horses for the track. The same % of owners as bettors lose their shirts in the business, and excuses only go so far. So results will be sought any ol way, by good trainers having a bad run as much as by genuine crooks & hustlers. This stuff blows up now & again. #### happens.

It's always been this way, will always be this way in a business that is half a celebration of a singular beauty and half about fleecing people who have more dollars than sense. Having grown up spending half my summers on the New England fair circuit - where i'd make the odd dollar sleeping in stalls to keep watch over tomorrow's favorites against bettors w knee-freezing needles - i'm as much used to the uglies as the beauties.

Simple fact is, there is not much genius to training thoroughbreds - care & luck, mostly. The equine heart is an organ behind only the human brain in its magnificence and it is virtually impossible to stress without raising major hell in horses' locomotive parts, esp the elongated cannon bones of the thoroughbred and the joints which must support it. Having patter for the owners is a much more refined art than innovating new ways to prepare horses for the track. The same % of owners as bettors lose their shirts in the business, and excuses only go so far. So results will be sought any ol way, by good trainers having a bad run as much as by genuine crooks & hustlers. This stuff blows up now & again. #### happens.
:hifive:

thing is, the world has shrunk a whole hell of a lot, in regards to disseminating info, etc ... our lovely lil' niche corner of the globe is pressured from so many sides, and folks who normally wouldn't have had a ####### clue about the dark entries in the sport now have it at their fingertips.

this is seismic given the current landscape, especially when the trainer of the horse that just won the world's richest purse is in them crosshairs. 

Man of Constant Sorrow said:
30+% trainers for a reason. Worse than the standard milkshakers we have out here like O'Neil and Mullins. 

Have to think the microscope will be out here on to the triple crown. Anyone known to be cleaner than the average trainer?

top 7, as per latest Vegas odds:

Tiz  6-1 

Authentic  8-1

Charlatan  10-1

Honor A.P.  10-1

Maxfield  10-1

Nadal  10-1

Sole Volante  10-1

they're doing the prudent thing by not discounting Sole Volante - that TB Derby is gonna prove to be an outlier for King G, i assure you.   SV is a fantastic clunk up candidate for KD exotics.  

Charlatan getting a ton of love, with no race scheduled, even as a probable, yet ... methinks Baffert ships to Sunland w/Azul Coast. 

Honor A.P. ran as well as one could hope off a 5 month sit.  BIG things on the come for this one ... i will use him against the Bafferts on 4/4.

Max is not running in Churchill. simple enough. 

i am plunking on Nadal toot sweet, think he zooms over Tiz after this Saturday's Rebel, and i  expect him to be Derby day fave in roughly 3-1, 5/2 vicinity.  

get him while you can - this is a gift, if one is so inclined.

i sure am. 

At least Santa Anita got cleared today. Blamed it all on the rain and pre existing conditions. 
funny cause Los Al just shut down racing through Friday night cause of the rain. Obviously the horses aren't anywhere near the same caliber but the home of California Chrome is already running on fumes and can't handle too many missed nights.

Looks like none of my horses are affiliated with any of the 27 trainers indicted. Whew.
Mandella looks to be clean on this one ... how is shipping working out with Tizmagician- any restrictions?

Have to think the microscope will be out here on to the triple crown. Anyone known to be cleaner than the average trainer?
Graham Motion and Mark Casse come to mind ... 

Worked 4 days ago and should ship out on the 17th. He'll get in one more work in Dubai after that. No idea if there are any complications coming up, though.
more or less basing on coronavirus restrictions, not so much the horse - who knows where we're gonna be tomorrow, let alone the 17th.  

hope he makes it over and back soundly ... appears as if Remsen winner/F.o.Y. show horse Shotski is following suit and shipping to UAE, as well. 

Charlatan 

entered in a 1m 80k AOC n1x

stretching the big boy out, will be race 6 tomorrow at Santa Anita ... we see how that 101 fig translates with 2 extra panels. S.A. will run to empty stands. 

Rebel Stakes

Oaklawn will also run to empty stands for the foreseeable future ... how loud are Nadal's thunderous strides gonna echo?  more on this race tomorrow morning.  

Jeff Ruby Stakes 

over the synth at Turfway tomorrow - THE RETURN OF FINNICK THE FIERCE, our one eyed nutless wonder!!

yeah, Derby winner isn't coming outta here, winner will more than likely be an easy toss on May 2nd. 

R.I.P. to 2002 KD/Preakness  winner War Emblem ... "fatal paddock accident" is being sourced as cause of passing. 

:sadbanana:

Is this a couple weeks from canceling? No fans in the infield/stands?
7 weeks 'til the race ... so we have a huge cushion here, gotta believe it would be run sans attendees if it were this weekend, or perhaps even the two after that. 

preps are showing zero risk of being outright cancelled - it's like the betting public was tossed this one measly bone, the "dregs", as it were.  

LA. Derby next week, Fla. on the 28th, Arky/S.A./ Wood on 4/4 - if they are all run without incident ya gotta think KD is safe. 

i truly believe that we will be in a much better spot, vis a vis fighting/containing/vaccinating this thing within the next 4 weeks. 

onward and upward! 

2020 Rebel Stakes

this would be a rather nondescript affair without the star power that is Nadal/Baffert ... there are some very capable entrants otherwise, and they are familiar with this track.   our big boy is stretching out for the first time, shipping,  and will be sans blinks ... so, if one is of the "bet against a favorite trying something new", well, Nadal is 3 deep in that axiom. 

1) Nadal  5/2 ml

sprint debut in mid January, hung a 94 up in that race, then wheeled back some 3 weeks later to take down the 7f San Vicente (96 fig).  has been working ridiculously well, and is clearly the story in this one.  Baffert has had great success down here, winning 6 of the previous 11 (but none of the last 3) ... BB is also hitting at a 31% clip this year with his shippers.   this beast is outta Blame, with the Pulpit line underneath ... he should relish the added distances he has coming up.  5/2 is very tepid for such a ballyhooed horse, but, as i stated up top, he does have a few questions to answer today.   the ml is an absolute GIFT if you believe in him, and i reallyreallyreally do ... he has the best speed figs up in here (along w/Basin, Silver Prospector), and can control the pace from his rail slot.  i expect nothing short of a scintillating victory.   YES.  

2) Excession 30/1

first of the 3 Asmussen entrants, and easily the weakest. was 7th and 8th his last 2 out (Lecomte/Risen Star). seasoned animal, this will be his 9th career start ... consistent mid 80s grinder, very outclassed here today.  one plus for him was a 3rd place finish behind Maxfield (under 2 lengths) back in September.  

3) Basin 3/1

Asmussen #2, and damn near co- favorite.  matches Nadal's top speed effort, and was runaway winner (6+ lengths!) his last out (G1 Hopeful) ... problem is, that was SIX months ago.   so, we got a yuuuuuge layoff, and first stab at a route. tall orders here, best case scenario would be similar to Honor A.P. in last week's San Felipe - an honest effort behind a Baffert Bullet, but too much to overcome, all things considered.  will be interesting to see if they gun him out that 3 hole to pinch Nadal in somewhat, seeing as how the 2 horse has no answer for Nadal's burst. lotta love being tossed his way, and if big boy falters ... ?  really? 

4) Silver Prospector 7/2

Asmussen #3 ... howzabout that draw, all 3 flanking Baffert? hmmm ...couldn't have asked for better, a lil' home cooking, perhaps.   THIS is a very intriguing horse, and that price is definitely right.  has been banging around this track since January, where he came in as fave in the Smarty Jones, which was well deserved after his taking down of the Kentucky Jockey Cup in November, where he beat current Derby fave Tiz the Law by 2 lengths. the Smarty was a muddy affair, and Santana stayed too far off a soft pace ... was a very well beaten 4th by 7 lengths.  followed that up some 3 weeks later with huge win (his 96 fig) in the Southwest - stayed closer (never further back than 3rd by 2 lengths) to the quick fractions set by Wells Bayou, and closed with authority to take it by a full length.  started his career on turf, then took his first dirt outing easily at Keeneland ... this will be his 5th dirt stakes in a row, he is battle tested with the top class, and seasoned as #### - his works have not exactly been stellar, but this cat seems to always be honest in the afternoons.  Santana/Asmussen are crushing it down there atm, and this is the biggest threat to Nadal's coronation, imo.   forecast is looking kinda wet for later on, but don't expect the same bull#### we saw in the Smarty ... Asmussen knows better.  also note his KJC win was over a sloppy surface.  if we get a hot pace today, he'll be on Nadal's ### -  LOVE/LIVE. 

5) No Parole 8/1

has been demoloshing LA. breds down in the Bayou state ... won his first 2 races at the Fairgrounds  by 14 and 13 lengths (95 figs in both 6f) ... shipped to Delta for a stretch out (1m) in the Premier Prince, and was a comfy 7 length winner in that one.  he is working very well, last was a :47.3 4f on 3/9.  this is a big step up in class, his top speed fits here, but he dropped to a 90 when he tried his first route.  was a needed foundation springboard, no doubt ... Amoss and Talamo are hot in these conditions, but, again - these are some upper class horses to tangle with today - he has the oooomph to hustle outta there and force the pace ... whether he can hang or not is the big question - Nadal can cook him.   not a horrible price for the more adventurous chaps out there - i wouldn't be shocked if he took this down, but it would be surprising. 

6) Three Technique 7/2 

ya want the "wiseguy" horse? well, here he is!  finished 2nd in that sloppy Smarty, closing fast on winner Gold Street ... again, soft pace assisted that victory, but 3Tech made a very sweet late move down the center, looked to be fresh and ready to go a few more furlongs ... his top speed fig fits with these, and he fired the top 2020 Oaklawn 4f workout with a dazzling :46! some 2 weeks ago ... he's ready for this asking - 3 tries to break the maiden (up at the Spa), but was beaten by Basin on that same track.  Englehart is hitting at 32% when wheeling back a beaten favorite - but we have a 50 day layoff, and Englehart's paltry 7% mark in graded stakes to toss some cold water on this hotshot.  if this thing melts, even in the slop, this cat is primed to benefit.  live.  

7) Coach Bahe 30/1 

ya wanna dream? KING GUILLERMO redux??? ok - broke his maiden last out at the FG, a 1m muddy affair which bagged gim a respectable 90 fig.  first time lasix today ... GO AHEAD! I DARE YA!

8) American Theorem 6/1

son of American Pharoah, so we got that going for him - hell, he even came in 2nd in his pops G1 namesake stakes race out at S.A., going the same distance they will try today, finishing ahead of one time darling, and eventual Juvey winner, Storm the Court.  but, yeah ... that was six months ago.  working great coming in, but top speed is a cut below the best here ... gonna need a huge step forward to make a ruckus here today.  

it's Nadal's day to stamp his dominance cred ... sloppy track gives slight pause ( though Blame's sire #s in slop are very good), as we have wet chops up in this mutha - will Baffert send him?  will the Asmussen's pinch?  can No Parole get over first? 

pretty decent field, certainly gonna test the favorite.

gimme 1/4/6 as of now, will revisit when we see conditions later on, but that rail, coupled with his sire Blame flashing slop chops, has me sticking bigly on the chalk.  

2020 Rebel Stakes

this would be a rather nondescript affair without the star power that is Nadal/Baffert ... there are some very capable entrants otherwise, and they are familiar with this track.   our big boy is stretching out for the first time, shipping,  and will be sans blinks ... so, if one is of the "bet against a favorite trying something new", well, Nadal is 3 deep in that axiom. 

1) Nadal  5/2 ml

sprint debut in mid January, hung a 94 up in that race, then wheeled back some 3 weeks later to take down the 7f San Vicente (96 fig).  has been working ridiculously well, and is clearly the story in this one.  Baffert has had great success down here, winning 6 of the previous 11 (but none of the last 3) ... BB is also hitting at a 31% clip this year with his shippers.   this beast is outta Blame, with the Pulpit line underneath ... he should relish the added distances he has coming up.  5/2 is very tepid for such a ballyhooed horse, but, as i stated up top, he does have a few questions to answer today.   the ml is an absolute GIFT if you believe in him, and i reallyreallyreally do ... he has the best speed figs up in here (along w/Basin, Silver Prospector), and can control the pace from his rail slot.  i expect nothing short of a scintillating victory.   YES.  

2) Excession 30/1

first of the 3 Asmussen entrants, and easily the weakest. was 7th and 8th his last 2 out (Lecomte/Risen Star). seasoned animal, this will be his 9th career start ... consistent mid 80s grinder, very outclassed here today.  one plus for him was a 3rd place finish behind Maxfield (under 2 lengths) back in September.  

3) Basin 3/1

Asmussen #2, and damn near co- favorite.  matches Nadal's top speed effort, and was runaway winner (6+ lengths!) his last out (G1 Hopeful) ... problem is, that was SIX months ago.   so, we got a yuuuuuge layoff, and first stab at a route. tall orders here, best case scenario would be similar to Honor A.P. in last week's San Felipe - an honest effort behind a Baffert Bullet, but too much to overcome, all things considered.  will be interesting to see if they gun him out that 3 hole to pinch Nadal in somewhat, seeing as how the 2 horse has no answer for Nadal's burst. lotta love being tossed his way, and if big boy falters ... ?  really? 

4) Silver Prospector 7/2

Asmussen #3 ... howzabout that draw, all 3 flanking Baffert? hmmm ...couldn't have asked for better, a lil' home cooking, perhaps.   THIS is a very intriguing horse, and that price is definitely right.  has been banging around this track since January, where he came in as fave in the Smarty Jones, which was well deserved after his taking down of the Kentucky Jockey Cup in November, where he beat current Derby fave Tiz the Law by 2 lengths. the Smarty was a muddy affair, and Santana stayed too far off a soft pace ... was a very well beaten 4th by 7 lengths.  followed that up some 3 weeks later with huge win (his 96 fig) in the Southwest - stayed closer (never further back than 3rd by 2 lengths) to the quick fractions set by Wells Bayou, and closed with authority to take it by a full length.  started his career on turf, then took his first dirt outing easily at Keeneland ... this will be his 5th dirt stakes in a row, he is battle tested with the top class, and seasoned as #### - his works have not exactly been stellar, but this cat seems to always be honest in the afternoons.  Santana/Asmussen are crushing it down there atm, and this is the biggest threat to Nadal's coronation, imo.   forecast is looking kinda wet for later on, but don't expect the same bull#### we saw in the Smarty ... Asmussen knows better.  also note his KJC win was over a sloppy surface.  if we get a hot pace today, he'll be on Nadal's ### -  LOVE/LIVE. 

5) No Parole 8/1

has been demoloshing LA. breds down in the Bayou state ... won his first 2 races at the Fairgrounds  by 14 and 13 lengths (95 figs in both 6f) ... shipped to Delta for a stretch out (1m) in the Premier Prince, and was a comfy 7 length winner in that one.  he is working very well, last was a :47.3 4f on 3/9.  this is a big step up in class, his top speed fits here, but he dropped to a 90 when he tried his first route.  was a needed foundation springboard, no doubt ... Amoss and Talamo are hot in these conditions, but, again - these are some upper class horses to tangle with today - he has the oooomph to hustle outta there and force the pace ... whether he can hang or not is the big question - Nadal can cook him.   not a horrible price for the more adventurous chaps out there - i wouldn't be shocked if he took this down, but it would be surprising. 

6) Three Technique 7/2 

ya want the "wiseguy" horse? well, here he is!  finished 2nd in that sloppy Smarty, closing fast on winner Gold Street ... again, soft pace assisted that victory, but 3Tech made a very sweet late move down the center, looked to be fresh and ready to go a few more furlongs ... his top speed fig fits with these, and he fired the top 2020 Oaklawn 4f workout with a dazzling :46! some 2 weeks ago ... he's ready for this asking - 3 tries to break the maiden (up at the Spa), but was beaten by Basin on that same track.  Englehart is hitting at 32% when wheeling back a beaten favorite - but we have a 50 day layoff, and Englehart's paltry 7% mark in graded stakes to toss some cold water on this hotshot.  if this thing melts, even in the slop, this cat is primed to benefit.  live.  

7) Coach Bahe 30/1 

ya wanna dream? KING GUILLERMO redux??? ok - broke his maiden last out at the FG, a 1m muddy affair which bagged gim a respectable 90 fig.  first time lasix today ... GO AHEAD! I DARE YA!

😎 American Theorem 6/1

son of American Pharoah, so we got that going for him - hell, he even came in 2nd in his pops G1 namesake stakes race out at S.A., going the same distance they will try today, finishing ahead of one time darling, and eventual Juvey winner, Storm the Court.  but, yeah ... that was six months ago.  working great coming in, but top speed is a cut below the best here ... gonna need a huge step forward to make a ruckus here today.  

it's Nadal's day to stamp his dominance cred ... sloppy track gives slight pause ( though Blame's sire #s in slop are very good), as we have wet chops up in this mutha - will Baffert send him?  will the Asmussen's pinch?  can No Parole get over first? 

pretty decent field, certainly gonna test the favorite.

gimme 1/4/6 as of now, will revisit when we see conditions later on, but that rail, coupled with his sire Blame flashing slop chops, has me sticking bigly on the chalk.  
Keep bringing it OTB as you do great work.  Last futures pool i have quite a bit of exposure with both  Nadal and Charlatan on top of some nice exactas and I need at least one of them to pop today. 

Nadal was mighty impressive - broke a bit slowly, was pressured by No Parole, then American Theorom ... he buried both, while setting brisk fractions in the slop ... came free turning for home, then was tested by 82-1 Excession, who ran his ever loving ### OFF - but Nadal still had enough in the tank to take it home. 

first ship, first route, first two turns, first without blinkers, first in the slop - all PASSED with flying colors ... had the grit to hang on through his swift early panels - this is what ya wanna see when a horse is tested this much.  great job. 

meanwhile, out at Santa Anita, Charlatan looked like the greatest we've seen in years ... hyperbole?  wait for the replay, then you tell me.  

won by 12 lengths in his route (1m) debut, clocking his final 2 furlongs in :25.1 without being asked for anything (after setting very quick early fractions). was never in danger, and just flat out ROMPED. this horse is an absolute FREAK, and i expect him to toy with the S.A. Derby field - he will dust Authentic, mark my words.  this cat is on another level right now. 

i'd say Baffert had himself a damn good day ... can't imagine these 2 not shooting up as co-faves on the Vegas boards come tomorrow.  

Nadal was mighty impressive - broke a bit slowly, was pressured by No Parole, then American Theorom ... he buried both, while setting brisk fractions in the slop ... came free turning for home, then was tested by 82-1 Excession, who ran his ever loving ### OFF - but Nadal still had enough in the tank to take it home. 

first ship, first route, first two turns, first without blinkers, first in the slop - all PASSED with flying colors ... had the grit to hang on through his swift early panels - this is what ya wanna see when a horse is tested this much.  great job. 

meanwhile, out at Santa Anita, Charlatan looked like the greatest we've seen in years ... hyperbole?  wait for the replay, then you tell me.  

won by 12 lengths in his route (1m) debut, clocking his final 2 furlongs in :25.1 without being asked for anything (after setting very quick early fractions). was never in danger, and just flat out ROMPED. this horse is an absolute FREAK, and i expect him to toy with the S.A. Derby field - he will dust Authentic, mark my words.  this cat is on another level right now. 

i'd say Baffert had himself a damn good day ... can't imagine these 2 not shooting up as co-faves on the Vegas boards come tomorrow.  
pretty damn impressive

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Charlatan_looks_Justify_esque_dazzling_at_Santa_Anita_Park_123

:thumbup:

see my previous post for the gushing ... hell, i'll gush a bit more: HOLY. #######. ####. 

3 weeks 'til the S.A. Derby ... think Baffert better ship Thousand Words to the Wood, 'cuz there's no room for him any longer in Cali ... Charlatan will crush that field, leaving minor spoils for Authentic and Honor A.P., but all will be heading to Churchill. 

2020 Rebel - NADAL!

he was tested every.inch.of. the.way.  showed a ton of grit, turned back every challenger, and checked off all the boxes: shipping, no blinks, slop, two turn route - all conquered.   that's a Derby winning look right there - we've seen off tracks quite a bit lately in May, and now we know the Blame slop pedigree is legit. awarded a 97 fig for his muddy victory - not as flashy as Charlatan (who the #### is??), but impressive in his own damn right in answering all that was asked.  

someone made a funny - these kids and their memes, eh?

meanwhile, over at Turfway ...

2020 Jeff Ruby Stakes

first off, our boy (and one eyed nutless wonder) Finnick the Fierce scratched  :sadbanana:  seriously? make a #### race even ####tier? THANKS!

but, ehhhhh ... pretty damn entertaining, i'll give it that  - Fancy Liquor ground fave Invader down enough to allow Field Pass to make a nifty closing move down the middle, nipping Invader by a neck. 

Field pass only bags 20 pts for this one, and rightfully so - bullring poly mashups at this stage of the game should not be rubber stamping a Derby gate. period. 

was this cat's first start on poly, after going 2 for 6 over the spinach - lotta turf route chops, and his win yesterday was pretty damn sweet, but - yeah, if they do pursue the KD it's a clunk up to bottom of the high five if he runs the race of his life and 12 others flip their jocks mid race.  

:bye:

so, did Baffert have a day? ya think?

this is shaping up to be the deepest/best crop since Street Sense/Curlin/Hard Spun/Scat Daddy/Rags to Riches back in '07.  

just hope we get to see it all unfold - LA. and Sunland Derby next week, Fla. Derby on the 28th, followed by Wood/Arky/S.A. on 4/4.

been a very enjoyable prep season thus far ... and it's only gonna get better - we're loaded!

:thumbup:

see my previous post for the gushing ... hell, i'll gush a bit more: HOLY. #######. ####. 

3 weeks 'til the S.A. Derby ... think Baffert better ship Thousand Words to the Wood, 'cuz there's no room for him any longer in Cali ... Charlatan will crush that field, leaving minor spoils for Authentic and Honor A.P., but all will be heading to Churchill. 

2020 Rebel - NADAL!

he was tested every.inch.of. the.way.  showed a ton of grit, turned back every challenger, and checked off all the boxes: shipping, no blinks, slop, two turn route - all conquered.   that's a Derby winning look right there - we've seen off tracks quite a bit lately in May, and now we know the Blame slop pedigree is legit. awarded a 97 fig for his muddy victory - not as flashy as Charlatan (who the #### is??), but impressive in his own damn right in answering all that was asked.  

someone made a funny - these kids and their memes, eh?

meanwhile, over at Turfway ...

2020 Jeff Ruby Stakes

first off, our boy (and one eyed nutless wonder) Finnick the Fierce scratched  :sadbanana:  seriously? make a #### race even ####tier? THANKS!

but, ehhhhh ... pretty damn entertaining, i'll give it that  - Fancy Liquor ground fave Invader down enough to allow Field Pass to make a nifty closing move down the middle, nipping Invader by a neck. 

Field pass only bags 20 pts for this one, and rightfully so - bullring poly mashups at this stage of the game should not be rubber stamping a Derby gate. period. 

was this cat's first start on poly, after going 2 for 6 over the spinach - lotta turf route chops, and his win yesterday was pretty damn sweet, but - yeah, if they do pursue the KD it's a clunk up to bottom of the high five if he runs the race of his life and 12 others flip their jocks mid race.  

:bye:

so, did Baffert have a day? ya think?

this is shaping up to be the deepest/best crop since Street Sense/Curlin/Hard Spun/Scat Daddy/Rags to Riches back in '07.  

just hope we get to see it all unfold - LA. and Sunland Derby next week, Fla. Derby on the 28th, followed by Wood/Arky/S.A. on 4/4.

been a very enjoyable prep season thus far ... and it's only gonna get better - we're loaded!

You have to think Baffert ships Charlatan out (Sunland?) and Authentic stays home for the SA Derby. 

You have to think Baffert ships Charlatan out (Sunland?) and Authentic stays home for the SA Derby. 
i said i thought Thousand Words might ship ... Charlatan will not ship to Sunland, as it's being run next Sunday  

Azul Coast is already shipping to Sunland for him - maybe Eight Rings, as well, who has been back working up a storm,  but hasn't been out since the Juvey.  

so ...

Authentic/Charlatan - S.A. Detby

Thousand Words - Wood/Arky/Bluegrass?

Nadal - Arky

Azul Coast/Eight Rings - Sunland

:shrug:

ETA: he may not wanna pit Authentic/Charlatan 'til the KD ... so maybe Authentic does ship, if owners can get with that kinda move. 

I'm hearing that Charlatan ran a 106 Beyer yesterday to go along with the 105 he ran in Feb.  Does anyone know if there is another 3yr old number comparable?  

otb_lifer said:
i said i thought Thousand Words might ship ... Charlatan will not ship to Sunland, as it's being run next Sunday  

Azul Coast is already shipping to Sunland for him - maybe Eight Rings, as well, who has been back working up a storm,  but hasn't been out since the Juvey.  

so ...

Authentic/Charlatan - S.A. Detby

Thousand Words - Wood/Arky/Bluegrass?

Nadal - Arky

Azul Coast/Eight Rings - Sunland

:shrug:

ETA: he may not wanna pit Authentic/Charlatan 'til the KD ... so maybe Authentic does ship, if owners can get with that kinda move. 
since the 3 Baffy wunderkind are all frontrunners, dont think you'd want them to collide til they have to, for the owners' sake. let the already established part of the stable take their chances. if this all isnt moot, of course *knock wood*

watching Charlatan run is like watching Roger Clemens pitch - he gets so much push from his hind quarters that his front action is almost incidental

You sure about that as I thought Nadal had run a 98 then a 91 for the SV.   I'm talking Beyer and not Time Form 
not sure at all. just remember seeing the number. dont play any more - pretty ridiculous to have multiple brands of figs cuz it defeats the original purpose of having a universal #

You sure about that as I thought Nadal had run a 98 then a 91 for the SV.   I'm talking Beyer and not Time Form 
top ten 3 y.o. BSF thus far ...

horse/fig/distance/date

Charlatan 106  1m  3/14

Charlatan  105  6f  2/16

Tiz the Law  100  1 1/16  3/1

Chance It  99  1m  1/4

King Guillermo  99 1 1/16  3/7

As Seen on TV  98  1m  1/4

Authentic  98  1 1/16  3/7

Nadal  98  6.5  1/19

Ete *****  97  1 1/16  2/29

Silver Prospector  97 1 1/16  2/17

watching Charlatan run is like watching Roger Clemens pitch - he gets so much push from his hind quarters that his front action is almost incidental
he hasn't even really been asked yet, either  :excited:   it's ridiculous how smoove he looks ... so much fun to watch.  and so great for a game under fire, once again. 

since the 3 Baffy wunderkind are all frontrunners, dont think you'd want them to collide til they have to, for the owners' sake. let the already established part of the stable take their chances. if this all isnt moot, of course *knock wood*
ya know, back when i first bought him up i mentioned the Justy race map/freak similarities, and it's all playing out so remarkably similar - carbon copy, tbh.

BB has one shot to land this beast a Derby gate, and all he needs is a place outing to bag 50 pts and a berth. 

one of that 3 (Authentic, Charly, TWords) gotta ship ... i think TW gotta be coming east ... maybe Baffert airlifts him into the Bluegrass to keep him in Kentucky for 6/7 weeks, though i do think the Wood is the softer landing spot.  

Honor A.P. and Authentic are stellar horses, no doubt ... but i really don't think they come within a length of Charly in the S.A. Derby   :shrug:

Authentic is actually the one whose running style reminds me most of Justy. Tall but clever-footed. But Justy never had anyone like the other two (not to mention Tiz) challenge him up front. You may be right about this crop - reminds me of a routine a comic used to do about walking the Sunset Strip, "my god....that's the most beautiful woman i've ever se.....no, wait!"

SUNLAND DERBY CANCELLED

... and now we gotta slot Azul Coast, Shoplifted, As Seen on TV elsewhere.

Eight Rings was not gonna ship, apparently not ready yet.

all that aside, this is a bad harbinger for these remaining preps - hadn't heard that New Mexico was even on the radar yet.  

lookin' a bit bleak at the moment.  

I hope I’m wrong but I think there is a 0% chance the Derby is run this year

😔
i'd say atm there is 80% chance it's not run on May 2nd - if these preps start getting cancelled, look out.  

looking like it definitely will be pushed back ... i'd say 50/50 it's run at some time this spring. 

more on Nadal:

>>> As most bettors predicted, the Bob Baffert-trained 3-year-old Nadal won the Rebel Stakes (G2) at Oaklawn Park to keep his undefeated record alive. But once again, he prevailed by a small margin, crossing the wire by only ¾ of a length over the 82-1 Excession.

To some, that might leave questions. However, the difference between the two 3-year-olds is worlds apart.

Consider the talent Nadal needed to endure on the front, versus Excession's trip.

Rather than risk a pocket position over a sloppy track, jockey Joel Rosario asked Nadal to go to set the pace, where he met No Parole into the first turn. The two of them briefly locked heads.

But as No Parole backed down and settled into a pressing position, American Theorem decided to step on the gas pedal hard and challenge Nadal. Nadal and American Theorem met eye to eye as they separated from the field.

Basin settled inside of No Parole, and Three Technique raced outside.

Approaching the far turn, American Theorem still kept breathing down Nadal's neck as best as he could. He ran like a horse on a mission. 

Nadal eventually put him away after grueling opening fractions of 22.89 and 46. But not long afterwards, Nadal had to face his third wave when Three Technique came looming outside and Silver Prospector threatened on the rail.

Nadal disposed of those two by the top of the stretch. Surprisingly, neither of them could even get on even terms with Nadal.

In the fourth wave, Nadal faced a late bid from Excession, who had lagged toward the back early as Nadal handled all those other charges. On the far turn, he saved ground and ran up the rail when Three Technique and Silver Prospector began to flatten. Silver Prospector gave Excession some room. 

Excession enjoyed a dream scenario by settling several lengths off a supersonic pace led by a horse who defended the lead at different points.

After Excession tipped out and took dead aim in the stretch, though, Nadal found more. Somehow, Nadal managed to keep himself in front and win.

Most regular speed horses would lose the scenario Nadal faced. But Nadal tackled four different waves of challenges and still captured the race.

Can Nadal face different scenarios besides setting the pace on the rail? As his campaign progresses, that is one question handicappers will ask.

Regardless, his winning Rebel effort finally gave the hype behind him more substance. Forget the ¾-length margin. Nadal ran an exceptional race surviving the pace and deserves all the praise, at least for now. <<<

Sunland officially down. 

Turf Paradise closed out, they usually run 'til Preakness weekend, iirc. 

Parx is shut. 

seeing reports of Maryland closing all casinos, tracks and otbs indefinitely, effective tomorrow - the Preakness is in peril. 

rumors of Gulfstream locking it all up, as well ... Fla. Derby is in severe trouble atm. 

the TC as we know it is a pipe dream for 2020 ... this is gonna get a hell of a lot worse before it gets any better.

greatest crop in years ... but we gotta do what we gotta do  :shrug:

"On the same day Churchill Downs announced it’s considering “the timing of the 146th Kentucky Derby this year” given the coronavirus pandemic, five-time winner Bob Baffert said he’s hearing the Run for the Roses could be moved to the summer or fall."

Full Article

the contest value of the Triple Crown - as a test of both brilliance & precocity - will hold thru September. traditionally, that's when racing secretaries stop writing 3yo races. technically, when horses start coating for their 3rd winter, they are considered mature animals (orthopedically, this is when they're supposed to begin training) and the sporting value (advancement of the breed, brilliant over thorough-going, and all that good rot) of their achievements are cast in a different light

the contest value of the Triple Crown - as a test of both brilliance & precocity - will hold thru September. traditionally, that's when racing secretaries stop writing 3yo races. technically, when horses start coating for their 3rd winter, they are considered mature animals (orthopedically, this is when they're supposed to begin training) and the sporting value (advancement of the breed, brilliant over thorough-going, and all that good rot) of their achievements are cast in a different light
🐎

maybe those mid to later summer affairs (Haskell, Jim Dandy, Travers , Pacific Coast Classic, etc) can be used as the prep races to shore things back up, both points and fitness wise, 'cuz it's all over but the shouting for this Spring season. 

Postponed until Sept 5th
official word coming at 9 a.m. presser from Churchill. 

best crop since '07, and that was with Maxfield sitting down ... now he's back in play, as he should be ready to rock come Labor Day. 

no idea when the #### will start to get real again ... just gotta wait and see - bigger problems facing us all now - pushing this back, or even canceling (had it come to that) is small potatoes in the grand scheme. 

will be here the minute it gets back on track ... had a great prep season thus far, couldn't have asked for better - time to hunker down now. 

it's been a ride, fellas!

FLORIDA DERBY DAY!

what the hell, they gonna run it, we gonna bet it ...

going the 1 1/8th today - 

return of #7 Tiz the Law and #12 Ete ***** and #1 As Seen on TV and #5 Governour Morris and #9 Independence Hall. 

nice field.   should be a good test for the 6-5 ml fave Tiz. 

Ete ***** is the horse to watch here ... breaking out that 12 hole again (13 horse field), same as last out over this track when he wired the Fountain of Youth.  

previous to that, he attempted the same in the Holy Bull, but was run down by winner Tiz ... was 5 clear of the pack behind them. 

the ***** will have no such ease today in hustling that early lead off that mega quick first turn ... speed to contend with to his inside, he will have to work much harder today to control this pace from jump - if they use him too early in this field he'll most certainly be cooked by the 3/4 mark.  he has been working brilliantly, firing the fastest 7f turf work in the game thus far in 2020.

Tiz is the best horse here, there's no question ... if he stays within himself, and controls from midpack, he should take this without question. 

Governour Morris and Independence Hall are stragglers who had a ton of hype coming into '20 ... it hasn't translated to any stakes hits yet, but Indy H can stay close and nuzzle up for a surprise if we melt here ... he's a decent tryer, but the distance today may say otherwise. 

the Gov is second off the bench for Pletcher, debuting on Valentine's Day with an OC score to get the feet wet.  he's worked impressively, and is fit for the gig ... his $600,000 tag gotta run up to expectations sooner or later, no?

ASoTV can really be the wildcard from that rail ... he ran a sizzling Mucho Macho here in January, and will have every opportunity to run his race from that 1 hole  ... has never been off the board in 5 starts - not the best horse here, but may have the best trip of the lot. 

Tiz's 108 fig towers over the rest, but the ***** has hit three 100+ figs in a row. 

toss ASoTV in with them. 

Users who are viewing this thread