What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concert in a cemetery? Yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

Do you consider this offensive or in bad taste?

• I'm totally fine with it. People need to lighten up.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I'm fine with it but I can see how others might be offended

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I'm on the fence.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I think it would be pretty tasteless but I don't think the cemetery meant any harm.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Absolutely disrespectful towards the deceased and their families.

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters

McJose

Footballguy
A local "memorial park" hosted a concert yesterday.  This cemetery is the resting place of Buck Owens.  The band that played is fronted by Buck's son, Johnny.  

https://www.bakersfield.com/entertainment/greenlawn-to-host-bakersfield-sound-concert-on-oct/article_9069e0f2-e0ac-11e9-bce1-4f03c6152366.html

This was NOT marketed as somber tribute but "family fun" https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/1e7dad38/dms3rep/multi/tablet/Popup+Art.jpg  

The concert was right in the middle of the burial plots...not in the parking lot or on some adjacent piece of land.  The crowd literally set up chairs etc among the headstones.

A lot of people thought this was very disrespectful to the families of the other people that are buried there.  

Thoughts? 

There's a big cemetery here in Indianapolis. Lots of famous people in it and such. This coming Saturday we are going to "ghost stories in the park" and at other times have gone to a Halloween themed music performance in the chapel there. 

Great use of the space, imo, and great fun. Only difference for the ghost stories is that a big tent is set up in a field that is currently empty but there are graves surrounding the whole area. 

Probably no worse than DJs and hipster movie screenings every other weekend at a cemetery, projected onto the mausoleum (like, for example, The Exorcist)
Those screenings are in a grave free area of the cemetery though. It's a big, empty lawn, not sitting on or next to headstones.

I think if you're sitting right on top of graves it's kind of weird. I don't see it as disrespectful though, just odd.

It's better as the band has a current member of the club. But still pretty  tasteless

Is the concert happening while the cemetery is open and people can visit nearby graves?  If so, it's probably in bad taste.  If it's during off hours when the only people who could be bothered by it are in the ground dead and people still have a problem, they are being ridiculous.  

how do you feel about it, what was your vote
I didn’t vote but I would have said “pretty tasteless” leaning towards “absolutely disrespectful”.

1.There are dozens of other venues for concerts but only a handful of cemeteries. I commented on FB “does this mean I can be buried at Crystal Palace?”  (the restaurant/concert venue that Buck Owens founded)

2. Imagine someone showing up at the cemetery to put flowers on a loved one’s grave and there’s a damn hoe-down going on.

3.  Country music blows for the most part.

Tasteless and trashy. Gravesites are hallowed ground. Don't be trampling around and sticking your ####ing folding chaise lounges on top of the graves of people you don't even know.

Or sent into space. That's an idea. Someone should jump on that. Funeral home that sends your loved ones bodies or ashes into space.  :moneybag:

I’m not religious and think cemeteries are pretty dumb (I tell my wife if it was legal I’d just have her toss my corpse in the trash) but voted absolutely disrespectful 

I’m pretty sure the cemetery near me had a small concert/dance hall way way back in the day. Long since converted to a maintenance area though, but at the time there would have been active visitors to many of the graves in the vicinity.

I think if I were coming to visit a gravesite, it might be nice to have more of a park like atmosphere, minus screaming kids, heroin addicts and murder dogs though.

yeah, so on second thought, gonna go with a solid “nope”.

Also, don’t know if this is typical of cemeteries, but in the one I referenced, if a headstone topples, I’ve been told if they can’t contact a living relative, they can’t  or won’t repair it or set it upright. I guess the cemetery doesn’t  technically “own” that plot anymore or something.

Also, don’t know if this is typical of cemeteries, but in the one I referenced, if a headstone topples, I’ve been told if they can’t contact a living relative, they can’t  or won’t repair it or set it upright. I guess the cemetery doesn’t  technically “own” that plot anymore or something.
For whatever reason all of the cemeteries around here (except the olde tyme pioneer one) have flat stones that are flush with the ground.  

Users who are viewing this thread