What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turkey invades Syria: Update- ISIS rebuilds (2 Viewers)

So we hang the Kurds out to die, watch them lose family members, then surrender on their behalf and capitulate to everything they've been fighting to stop, while at the same time turning around and bragging like this was some win and was some kind of big favor to them?

10 years from now are wondering why all these Syrians that are part of this Syrian terrorist organization that blew up some building hate America so much, look no further.

Congratulations, everyone. We just started the next terrorist group. 

So we hang the Kurds out to die, watch them lose family members, then surrender on their behalf and capitulate to everything they've been fighting to stop, while at the same time turning around and bragging like this was some win and was some kind of big favor to them?

10 years from now are wondering why all these Syrians that are part of this Syrian terrorist organization that blew up some building hate America so much, look no further.
Yep.

So... Turkey denies there is a ceasefire.  And we basically folded up like a cheap lawn chair for Erdogan on everything he wanted.  While he holds 50 of our tactical nukes hostage.

Can we assume at this point that Turkey has evidence Trump knew about Kashoggi before/during the killing, or is this about Trump Tower?
I feel like there has to more than what is public so far out there.  I'd love to see the transcript to see what transpired, or if Trump just folded like Mustafa in Austin Powers after Erdogan asked him three times.

If there is kind of quid pro quo with Turkey like there was with Ukraine, I think that is where Trump loses the Senate.  But I could be completely off, as I'm surprised they have stood by him for this long.

Trump is a foreign policy disaster.  The best he can do is write a letter that reads like it was written by a grade four student.

He is bad at everything.   Except screwing people over.  He is the best at that.   

Should I keep that part of the title that says Turkey denies the ceasefire? Because the news is not reporting that. Are we sure the denial is accurate? 

If it weren’t mid-season and I really don’t  want to get suspended, in the words of the great Cosmo Kramer I’d “ let the expletives fly!”

Trump truly has become Kim Jong Un (or Kim Jong Il).  Pretty soon Pence will be talking about how Trump walked on the sun and shot 10 straight hole-in-ones.

And beat Michael Jordan one on one :lmao:  
He doesn’t need Pence to play that roll, he already does it for himself.   Actual quote....

“I was always the best athlete. Something that nobody knew about me. ...I was the best baseball player in New York when I was young. ... But I also knew that it was very limited, because in those days you couldn't even make a lot of money playing baseball. ... Everybody wanted me to be a baseball player. But I was good in other sports too. I was good in wresting, I was very good at football. I was always the best at sports."

There are literally 3 stories TODAY that in previous administrations would have captured headlines for months.  Not sure which is most or least important, but they are all significant and it's just not possible to give them all justice.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There are literally 3 stories TODAY that in previous administrations would have captured headlines for months.  Not sure which is most or least important, but they are all significant and it's just not possible to give them all justice.  
Yup last few days have been a deluge of craziness.

I was just pondering how the President's Chief of Staff admitted that they withheld money from Ukraine in a quid pro quo for political favors and it's not even the lead story on any of the political sites/networks.

Should I keep that part of the title that says Turkey denies the ceasefire? Because the news is not reporting that. Are we sure the denial is accurate? 
From CNN:

Turkish foreign minister: "This is not a ceasefire"

From CNN's Flora Charner

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said the reached agreement between the US and Turkey to suspend military operations in Syria is not a ceasefire.

"This is not a ceasefire," Cavusoglu said during a televised news conference today.

“We will pause the operation for 120 hours in order for the terrorists to leave,” Cavusoglu said. "We will only stop the operation if our conditions are met.”

Cavusoglu said a “safe zone” would need to be established at roughly 20 miles east of the Euphrates river to the Iraqi border.
https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/syria-turkey-10-17-2019/index.html

Yup last few days have been a deluge of craziness.
They're just doing it out in the open now.  No one has stopped them, so why would they waste the time to try and hide it?  Democrats don't have the power and Republicans don't have the backbone.

Turkey

Mulvaney's Press Conference

The G7

The British parents

That's about 24 hours.  Amazing.

Cavusoglu Press Conference:

We got what we wanted.

There was an agreement that the Turkish Armed Forces will control this area.

The YPG's heavy weapons will be collected.

We will put Operation Peace Spring on hold for 120hrs so the YPG can vacate.

This is not a ceasefire
[Trump]Not just a victory, the GREATEST victory![/Trump]

Was there any indication that there was any representation from the Kurds involved in this "ceasefire"? Maybe the General that Trump mentioned in his letter?

From CNN:

Turkish foreign minister: "This is not a ceasefire"

From CNN's Flora Charner

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said the reached agreement between the US and Turkey to suspend military operations in Syria is not a ceasefire.

"This is not a ceasefire," Cavusoglu said during a televised news conference today.

“We will pause the operation for 120 hours in order for the terrorists to leave,” Cavusoglu said. "We will only stop the operation if our conditions are met.”

Cavusoglu said a “safe zone” would need to be established at roughly 20 miles east of the Euphrates river to the Iraqi border.
https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/syria-turkey-10-17-2019/index.html
Note the language used here. Our former allies in fighting ISIS are now terrorists.

Trump needs impeached like 3 years ago.

Was there any indication that there was any representation from the Kurds involved in this "ceasefire"? Maybe the General that Trump mentioned in his letter?
Thats a great question.  I asked the same thing when I saw Trump October 9 letter when he handed over the General's letter to Erdogan - I wondered if the General was expecting that.

Given Trump - I don't think there is anyway to know if this was done in consultation with the Kurds, or just done to the Kurds.  "Yeah, sorry you lost you land, homes, and farms.  Its the best we could get from Erdogan.  He is a tough negotiator.  Oh, and by the way, you need to hand over all of your weapons too.  But, you still have your health!"

He doesn’t need Pence to play that roll, he already does it for himself.   Actual quote....

“I was always the best athlete. Something that nobody knew about me. ...I was the best baseball player in New York when I was young. ... But I also knew that it was very limited, because in those days you couldn't even make a lot of money playing baseball. ... Everybody wanted me to be a baseball player. But I was good in other sports too. I was good in wresting, I was very good at football. I was always the best at sports."
Right up until he received his draft notice. Such bad timing on those bone spurs.

Probably not, but when Turkey starts attacking again in 5 days because the Kurds haven't abandoned their homes, Trump can shrug and claim it's not his fault that they didn't accept salvation.

I hate to beat a dead horse with the interesting comparison @timschochet made, but Germany/France/Britain/Italy decided the fate of Czechoslavakia in a similar fashion.  The Czech diplomats, iirc, were in an adjoining room, weren't privy to the discussions, and were told of the results of the agreement (that destroyed their nation) in an uncomfortable meeting with France and Britain afterwards.

Referring to Kurds living along Turkish border in Syria, Trump says of Turkey, "they had to have it cleaned out."

Ethnic cleansing. Totally ok with our President. It's an abomination. We should be beating down the gates of the White House. 

I don't trust this cease fire one bit.  Kim is a lunatic, there is no way diplomacy and strong arm tactics are going to work like this.  He reportedly tossed Trump's dumb letter in the trash anyways.

Did anyone really think the Kurds were just going to hand over their weapons and leave their homes, trusting that Turkey would do more "bad things" once the 120 hours was up?
They don't have a second amendment so they should be expected to to just give up their weapons voluntarily. 

Alan Sipress

@AlanSipress

The Turkish side was surprised and relieved at how easy the negotiations were, said an adviser to Turkey's foreign ministry after the talks with Pence. “We got everything we wanted...It was as easy a negotiation as we’ve ever had.”

Trump says it was good to let the Turks attack the Kurds. "Sometimes you have to let them fight like two kids,” he tells rally in Dallas. “Then you pull them apart."

Trump says it was good to let the Turks attack the Kurds. "Sometimes you have to let them fight like two kids,” he tells rally in Dallas. “Then you pull them apart."
By pull them apart...he meant take our former allies the kurds...surrender for them and tell them they need to leave their homes

Does greenlighting Turkey's plan for a genocidal campaign against the Kurds qualify as "high crimes and misdemeanors"? 

Users who are viewing this thread