Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Turkey invades Syria: Update- ISIS rebuilds

On 10/9/2019 at 8:36 AM, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

@GoBirds @Don't Noonan @TripItUp

and other gop supports....

seriously what is your guys take on this move?

Been on vacation and haven't had much time to be on FBGs.  It seems like Trump was in a no win situation.  Turkey is a NATO ally and the Kurds have been an ally as well.  I can understand why Trump did what he did to stop away and hopefully save some US military lives.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not to distract. There are better ways to distract. It’s to please Erdogan or Putin for some reason related to Trump’s personal interests, as opposed to U.S. national interests.

Wait 'till the guy on the left hears about the guy on the right.

I know it's against board policy to say that Trump is a moron or idiot or whatever.  But I honestly don't know how what other conclusion I'm supposed to draw.  Whether it's an innately low IQ (doubtfu

11 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Been on vacation and haven't had much time to be on FBGs.  It seems like Trump was in a no win situation.  Turkey is a NATO ally and the Kurds have been an ally as well.  I can understand why Trump did what he did to stop away and hopefully save some US military lives.

Why would US military lives be lost if they stayed with the Kurds?

4 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

Pity the greatest negotiator that ever lived, in his great and unmatched wisdom, couldn't get his friend, the Turkish tin pot dictator, to stay aligned with US policy

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

It could of started a war with Turkey.

Why would it have?  Their presence was what was keeping an attack from happening.

Trump has praised Erdogan at times and his people are executing our allies.

6 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Of course they don’t - just repeating the lies they hear from Rush and Hannity. 

It's like logic and rational thinking has left them behind. Not only is there the whole NATO thing, Turkey would be stupid to actually start a war with us(at least with anybody but Trump in charge anyway, he'd probably threaten to sue the Turkish army and press Erdogan for dirt on political opponents).

8 minutes ago, Kal El said:

It's like logic and rational thinking has left them behind. Not only is there the whole NATO thing, Turkey would be stupid to actually start a war with us(at least with anybody but Trump in charge anyway, he'd probably threaten to sue the Turkish army and press Erdogan for dirt on political opponents).

Of course, it’s too late now. He can’t reverse course on this one because if he reverses and now goes in we are the ones who are ending NATO. 

12 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Erdogan: "We will never stop this step. We will not stop no matter what anyone says."

>> Meanwhile, US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Trump was planning to activate "very powerful" sanctions on Ankara. <<

I'm sure Turkey is positively shaking in their boots over our "commander's" threats.

6 minutes ago, Mile High said:

His defense seems to be it was a  good thing he got America troops out of the way since there is such intense fighting going on now.

Which is like saying, good thing I bailed out of the drivers seat of my car because after I jumped out, it veered off the side of the road into oncoming traffic. 

• Like 3

The atrocities that are happening in Syria today are unforgivable.

The United States was in a position to prevent all of these needless deaths - and instead we gave the green light to go ahead. 

• Sad 3
12 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

The United States was in a position to prevent all of these needless deaths - and instead we gave the green light to go ahead. 

Don't worry we are going to use the power of money to punish them for those needless deaths. 

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I agree with your point, but I dispute the use of the word "we" here.  This was the action of one person in the face of strong bipartisan and nonpartisan opposition.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Congratulations, everyone. We just started the next terrorist group. 

• Sad 3
22 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I agree with your point, but I dispute the use of the word "we" here.  This was the action of one person in the face of strong bipartisan and nonpartisan opposition.

What actions were taken to stop him? Did Congress rush back from recess and institute sanctions? 

Nothing but chaos in his wake. If I was a superstitious person, I’d describe it as “AntiChrist-ian “.

I don’t know how anyone can be forgiven for their complicity in this.

Edited by Ranethe
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I don’t think the Kurds who will inevitably seek out revenge for this will distinguish one American from another, do you? They’re going to blame all of us. 

If there was an action Trump could do to show how much he lacks the mechanism for compassion and view outside of his own myopic angle this is one of them.  When people show you how they are we should believe them.  Trump supporters really need take heed, unfortunately I fear they won’t.  

10 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

If a single member of the US armed forces is killed by “Syrian forces” during this ####show and the Benghazi Republicans don’t tear him out of the Oval Office by his extra long tie I may actually have a psychotic break. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

It could have started a war with Turkey.

I was joking when I wrote earlier this morning that I hoped Trump would offer this argument, mainly because I couldn’t imagine that such an absurd idea would ever be pushed. 

I was wrong again. Rand Paul actually made the same point on Meet the Press. He said that Turkey was going in no matter what, so Trump was wise to move our troops out of the way. Unbelievable. 

To Paul’s credit, he did criticize Trump for putting troops in Saudi Arabia. 

23 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I was joking when I wrote earlier this morning that I hoped Trump would offer this argument, mainly because I couldn’t imagine that such an absurd idea would ever be pushed. 

I was wrong again. Rand Paul actually made the same point on Meet the Press. He said that Turkey was going in no matter what, so Trump was wise to move our troops out of the way. Unbelievable. 

To Paul’s credit, he did criticize Trump for putting troops in Saudi Arabia. 

Saudi Arabia is causing trouble in Yemen anyway, if Trump is serious about bringing troops home, take them out of SA as well. If not, it just makes him into an even bigger joke, but nobody's laughing anymore.

40 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

If a single member of the US armed forces is killed by “Syrian forces” during this ####show and the Benghazi Republicans don’t tear him out of the Oval Office by his extra long tie I may actually have a psychotic break. 

For everyone's sake, let's hope no Americans are murdered by the Turks as they seek to eradicate the Kurds, your erstwhile allies. 'Cause the Benghazi Republicans will at max be "deeply troubled" and you know it

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, msommer said:

For everyone's sake, let's hope no Americans are murdered by the Turks as they seek to eradicate the Kurds, your erstwhile allies. 'Cause the Benghazi Republicans will at max be "deeply troubled" and you know it

If they get really, really outraged, expect them to dish out thoughts and prayers/

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

All with our approval and backing. 

They are paying. That’s the new deal, we are on whatever side offers to pay us the most. Russia must have dished out a pretty penny to Trump for all of this.

I cant see how anyone can defend Trump's decision here. This is worse than Obama pulling out of Iraq because anyone with half a brain could have predicted the immediate impact this decision would have. This wasn't an "endless war" situation. Our mere presence, even if just 50 troops, was preventing this from happening. Sick to my stomach over this.

• Like 1

https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/5820a186-bc70-40af-836a-7555811f145a

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – The White Helmets in Afrin have drawn backlash from some residents who are accusing the group of whitewashing Turkey’s occupation of the northwestern Syrian Kurdish enclave.

Turkish-backed Islamist militias and the Turkish army took over Afrin from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) earlier this year in a battle that lasted over two months and displaced over 137,000 civilians and evicted the local Kurdish-led administration in Afrin. 

The White Helmets, officially known as the Syrian Civil Defense, entered the Kurdish canton after Turkey took over the city on 18 March. Jamal Hafez, the head of White Helmets in Mar`a, was killed in a village of Afrin during demining operations on 6 March during Turkey’s attack.

The group has since suggested they want to ‘rebuild’ Afrin.

“The Syrian Civil Defense [the official name of the White Helmets] on the first of August launched ‘together; we can rebuild it,’ to rebuild the city of Afrin with the participation of 150 volunteers,” Khaled Khatib, a spokesperson of the White Helmets told Kurdistan 24. 

The local administration in Afrin banned the group in December 2015, and their volunteers were arrested and their equipment confiscated. The group was likely banned to its alleged links to rebel groups that, in April 2015, kidnapped 300 Kurds. 

“We have been working again in Afrin after the YPG no longer controlled the city,” Khatib said.

However, the group says it remains neutral. Kurds, on the other hand, claim the White Helmets only operates in areas controlled by the Turkish-backed rebels.

“I am in daily contact with people of Afrin. They know the reality of the White Helmets,” Roj Moussa, a journalist from Afrin told Kurdistan 24. “Turkey is trying to clean their reputation in Afrin. The White Helmets are seen as heroes in the West, in Europe, in Canada,” he said. 

“They [Turkey and rebels] killed a lot of people, burned forests, kidnapped civilians,” he said. “The White Helmets work in areas ruled by Jabhat al-Nusra [Al-Qaeda],” he said.

After Turkey took control of Afrin, the pro-Turkish government newspaper Yeni Safak, published a story headlined on 30 March, "White Helmets resume operations in liberated Afrin.”

Sinam Mohammed, representative of Syrian Democratic Council (SDC) in the US, in an interview with Kurdistan 24, accused the White Helmets of changing the demography. “It’s about 140 families, and they are changing the demography of Afrin. It’s not a solution for the solving the problem in Syria,” she said. 

“They are making ethnic cleansing in Afrin, and we don’t accept that,” she said. “The White Helmets should be focused on humanitarian issues, but they are now getting into politics, and changing the demography,” she argued. 

“Their task is humanitarian, but now they are there, accepting to be in somebody’s house, where is the humanity here,” she added. “There people who were working with the White Helmets were in places where jihadists are active, like in Idlib, Jarabulus, and they went to places where Jihadists are active.”

However, the White Helmets deny the allegations.

“We seek to work in all areas of Syria, where we can, that's why we operated in Afrin for some months, but the YPG didn't allow us for our volunteers to come to Afrin,” Khatib said. “The people there [in Afrin] need the services of the White Helmets. We always do our best to serve our community.”

The head of the White Helmets, Raed al Saleh, in November 2016, said the group had welcomed former fighters who had laid down their weapons. But he added that Syria Civil Defense members filmed holding weapons or flying the flags of terrorist groups “do not represent the organization’s general principles and humanitarian values.”

Khatib said they also have Kurds from Afrin. “Because usually, we choose the volunteers from the same areas, we work, but we don't know what percent are Arab or Kurds. They are mixed right now because you know, our volunteers who have evacuated from Homs, Daraa, Ghouta, are now working in the north,” he said.

However, journalist Roj Moussa asserted they have no Kurdish members. “They have no Kurdish members after they entered Afrin. I asked a lot of people,” he said.

Azad (54), the pseudonym civilian from Afrin told Kurdistan 24 that people in Afrin are suspicious of the group. “Some people are worried and don’t really trust them and don’t consider them neutral. But others don’t care about their existence, and some don’t even know who they are,” he added.

“The people are very confused, and the only thing they care about is to have the Turks, FSA, and Ghouta settlers to leave Afrin,” he added.

@MarkAmesExiled

Last year, White Helmets rode with Turkish invasion forces into Afrin & celebrated the Turkey-jihadi alliance’s ethnic cleansing of Kurds & Syrian minorities. No one said peep on behalf of “our Kurdish allies” then.

Our Kurdish allies “banned White Helmets due its alleged links to rebel groups that, in April 2015, kidnapped 300 Kurds...Kurds claim the White Helmets only operates in areas controlled by the Turkish-backed rebels.”

Weird, I remember people complaining about "conspiracy theories" of our Oscar-winning heroes, the White Helmets, working with Al-Nusra and other terrorist groups as a front for western regime changers.  Turns out it was the truth all along, and the fable of the White Helmets as human rights saviors was the real conspiracy theory.

Edited by ren hoek

The Secretary of Defense is telling the exact same lie on Fox. He insists that Turkey would have attacked anyhow right through our troops, right through our superior air power, and that if we hadn’t gotten out of the way we would be at war with Turkey. 

Incredible such crap. If I were Chris Wallace I would have asked, “will you release the phone call between President Trump and Erdogan in order to prove what you are claiming is correct???” 

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

The Secretary of Defense is telling the exact same lie on Fox. He insists that Turkey would have attacked anyhow right through our troops, right through our superior air power, and that if we hadn’t gotten out of the way we would be at war with Turkey. 

Incredible such crap. If I were Chris Wallace I would have asked, “will you release the phone call between President Trump and Erdogan in order to prove what you are claiming is correct???” 

You would have thought Mr Tough guy Trump would have told them you attack any American troops we will rain down hell fire on you then.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

They are paying. That’s the new deal, we are on whatever side offers to pay us the most. Russia must have dished out a pretty penny to Trump for all of this.

Nah. Probably just mentioned the kompromat