What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shep Smith dome at Fox news (1 Viewer)

From Forbes:

Fox News announced Friday that Shepard Smith would be stepping down from his role as Chief News Anchor and Managing Editor of the network’s breaking news unit and anchor of Shepard Smith Reporting. Smith’s last time anchoring was today.

Smith, in a statement, said he had asked Fox to be released from his contract. “Recently I asked the company to allow me to leave Fox News and begin a new chapter,” Smith said. “After requesting that I stay, they graciously obliged. The opportunities afforded this guy from small town Mississippi have been many. It’s been an honor and a privilege to report the news each day to our loyal audience in context and with perspective, without fear or favor. I’ve worked with the most talented, dedicated and focused professionals I know and I’m proud to have anchored their work each day — I will deeply miss them.”

Seems abrupt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he resign, or was he fired?
JUST IN: On air, Shepard Smith says he has asked to be released from his Fox News contract, a request Fox has granted. "Even in our polarized nation, it's my hope that the facts will win the day..." he says in an on-air farewell.
CBS

- It's awfully polite (he's from Mississippi...) but they probably offered him a #### ton load of money, and let's face it the AG (!) personally just visited Murdoch just yesterday or the day before.

More importantly he was managing editor of the breaking news department.

Apparently he has a non-compete so he's still in a deal of some kind.

CBS

- It's awfully polite (he's from Mississippi...) but they probably offered him a #### ton load of money, and let's face it the AG (!) personally just visited Murdoch just yesterday or the day before.
This is what I think, too. Murdoch got something from Barr and used it to rid himself of Smith, who was hurting ratings from the people who don't watch Fox for news. Well, news news.

So he asked Fox for permission to leave and they said yes, but under their agreement he won't be reporting elsewhere in the near future?

That seems weird. He doesn't need their permission to leave. People are allowed to quit their jobs. If he wants their permission for something, it should be to let him out of his non-compete agreement (which seems of possibly dubious enforceability in New York anyway).

I wonder what their discussion actually entailed...

Last edited by a moderator:
So he asked Fox for permission to leave and they said yes, but under their agreement he won't be reporting elsewhere in the near future?

That seems weird. He doesn't need their permission to leave. People are allowed to quit their jobs. If he wants their permission for something, it should be to let him out of his non-compete agreement (which seems of possibly dubious enforceability in New York anyway).

I wonder what their discussion actually entailed...
A generous buyout in exchange for keeping his non-compete and a non-disclosure agreement, I would expect.

Users who are viewing this thread