What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (2 Viewers)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
Am I missing something?  Is there no official thread for him?

anyway, is he really such a great pro prospect that he is worth tanking for? He’s not quite on the level of Luck, for instance, is he?

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Casagrande of AL.com shared that Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa has not thrown an interception in 167 passes, the longest active streak in the FBS.

Tagovailoa's INT-less streak dates all the way back to last year's National Championship. Tagovailoa (6'1/218) did get picked off in that game, but from the tail end of that matchup until now, the presumptive No.1 pick has not been intercepted. Alabama have three non-elite defenses next up on the docket in Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Arkansas, so Tagovailoa very well could keep the streak alive for a while. Tagovailoa has 23 passing touchdowns against zero interceptions for the season.

SOURCE: Michael Casagrande on Twitter

Oct 10, 2019, 11:13 AM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa is "emerg[ing] as a legitimate franchise quarterback prospect and the clear-cut top at the position."

Miller released a new big board on Tuesday to account for what he has seen over the first month of the CFB season. At this juncture, Tagovailoa lands as his No. 4 overall prospect for the prospective spring class, trailing only Chase Young, Jerry Jeudy and A.J. Epenesa. No other quarterback prospect makes his top-10 cut. Indeed, Tua is the only quarterback among his top 20 prospects. He finally lets another in in the person of Joe Burrow at No. 21. Justin Herbert follows at No. 22, with Jordan Love (No. 29), Jake Fromm (No. 31) and Jacob Eason (No. 32) making the bottom of Miller's 32-man board. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of all of this is less that Tua holds such a lofty slot and more that Miller is playing it somewhat conservative with Herbert. For contrast's sake, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest Big Board, released last week, had Herbert all the way up at No. 6 (Tua was his No. 2).

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Oct 1, 2019, 4:40 PM ET

Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports is less certain that Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa will be the "surefire" No.1 pick after speaking with a handful of current and former NFL executives.

Make no mistake, Thamel is not making the case against Tagovailoa (6'1/218) being drafted first overall. Rather, Thamel provided insight from a number of current and former front office executives to suggest that Oregon QB Justin Herbert may also be in the running to be the first overall pick. All the talk of the Miami Dolphins' tank job has been about their quest for Tagovailoa, but with the draft seventh months away and plenty of ball left to be played, it is no certainty that Tagovailoa will be the first player off the board in late April.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports

Sep 25, 2019, 7:34 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa scored a perfect 158.3 passer rating when kept clean in the pocket against South Carolina.

One may expect a QB as good as Tagovailoa to be perfect or close to it in clean conditions, but it's easier said than done. South Carolina HC Will Muschamp is a quality defensive mind and the Gamecocks have plenty of strong SEC talent. Regardless, Tagovailoa carved up the South Carolina defense, putting forth his best performance of the season in part because he executed to perfection when given good opportunities. Tagovailoa will continue his reign of dominance against Southern Mississippi next week.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Sep 15, 2019, 11:23 AM ET

Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa (ankle) is expected to play in Saturday's game vs. LSU.

This news doesn't come as a surprise, as it was reported on Monday that Tagovailoa (6'1/218) would split first-team practice reps with backup Mac Jones. Now it's being reported that not only will the junior quarterback play, but "he'll likely look healthier and less limited than what most outsiders are probably expecting." Tagovailoa is 16 days removed from undergoing surgery on his right ankle one day after suffering a high ankle sprain during Alabama's win over Tennessee. He underwent a similar surgery on his left ankle last season ahead of the Orange Bowl, but the recovery process has been quicker this time around.

SOURCE: AL.com

Nov 5, 2019, 10:47 AM ET

Awesome arm and instincts.   The injuries scare me a bit, but I would still gamble on him being a good pro.

After watching Alabama's practice on Thursday, CBS' Gary Danielson said that junior QB Tua Tagovailoa (ankle) is "not the Tua that started the season."

"I watched Tua practice yesterday, he's not 100%. I don't care what Alabama says...he doesn't have that spring in his step, it's not natural," Danielson said. He did go on to admit that if he were Tagovailoa, he would still play against LSU on Saturday, but the question as to Tua's actual health still remains. The star junior underwent ankle surgery near the end of October and subsequently sat out against Arkansas prior to Bama's bye week. All signs have him as a likely go for Saturday's battle of unbeaten superpowers, but it's going to be fascinating to see just how he looks -- and just how long HC Nick Saban sticks by the quarterback if he does show issue health-wise.

SOURCE: Peter Burns on Twitter

Nov 8, 2019, 12:44 PM ET

To piggyback on the conversation from the college football thread - 

I like Tua, he's a fine player and certainly the best QB Alabama has on their roster.  But I don't see "it" from an NFL perspective.  He's often banged up, has problems with both ankles, and multiple times in his career - including today thus far - has totally fallen apart in big games.  This time, they don't have Hurts to bail them out like the SEC title game from last year.

It's tough to gauge how good he is vs. how good Alabama is.  They've got 4- and 5-stars across the board, including 3 receivers who will probably be first or second day picks in the 2020 NFL Draft.  Sure, he's got an NFL arm, but so do 30 other CFB starting QBs.  He's got a future in the NFL, but I just don't see it for the #1 overall "Tank for Tua" pick.

To be clear - I still think he's a very good prospect.  But I don't see a presumptive surefire "can't miss" #1 overall pick.

To piggyback on the conversation from the college football thread - 

I like Tua, he's a fine player and certainly the best QB Alabama has on their roster.  But I don't see "it" from an NFL perspective.  He's often banged up, has problems with both ankles, and multiple times in his career - including today thus far - has totally fallen apart in big games.  This time, they don't have Hurts to bail them out like the SEC title game from last year.

It's tough to gauge how good he is vs. how good Alabama is.  They've got 4- and 5-stars across the board, including 3 receivers who will probably be first or second day picks in the 2020 NFL Draft.  Sure, he's got an NFL arm, but so do 30 other CFB starting QBs.  He's got a future in the NFL, but I just don't see it for the #1 overall "Tank for Tua" pick.
And he is left handed.  Not his fault but something NFL OCs need to adjust for.

Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa (ankle) completed 21-of-40 passes for 418 yards, four touchdowns and an interception in Saturday's 46-41 loss to LSU.

Tagovailoa (6'1/218) was making his first start since Oct. 19 on Saturday, having missed Bama's last game before their bye week while rehabbing from ankle surgery. The star junior looked notably rusty early on, at one point in the first quarter fumbling -- read: just dropping the ball -- in the red zone. He also threw a rough pick with under a minute remaining in the first half which led to an LSU touchdown. As the game wore on, though, Tagovailoa began to settle in, throwing a trio of second half touchdown passes. Despite strong down-the-stretch efforts by the offense -- the Tide scored 21 points in the fourth quarter -- Alabama's defense just couldn't come up with the stops they needed. Tagovailoa and company will look to rebound against Mississippi State next weekend. We'll be interested to see how his ankle responds during the practice week.

Nov 9, 2019, 7:47 PM ET

Awesome arm and instincts.   The injuries scare me a bit, but I would still gamble on him being a good pro.
Today was my first time seeing him in a full game, and I thought he was terrific.  He's got great touch on his long to mid-range throws.  If today was one of his "off days" he's going to have a majestic career

Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa is dealing with some soreness in his right ankle after playing in Saturday's 46-41 loss to LSU.

Tagovailoa (6'1/218) was less than three weeks removed from surgery on his right ankle when he started Saturday's game, and outside of some soreness (which is to be expected) the junior quarterback hasn't had any issues per HC Nick Saban. "We did all the medical research that you could do on him to find out if he did any damage or hurt himself in any way, shape or form, and he did not," Saban said Monday. "So, we’ll manage the soreness, may give him a day off today and sort of start him back tomorrow a little bit. So, we’ll just have to manage it day-to-day, and he should respond each and every week." Tagovailoa threw for 418 yards and four touchdowns in the loss, and despite the soreness he appears on track to start the Crimson Tide's matchup with Mississippi State this weekend.

SOURCE: 247Sports.com

Nov 11, 2019, 2:30 PM ET

Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa (ankle) was not seen practicing during the open media window at Tuesday's practice.

Tagovailoa (6'1/218) was dressed out in pads and a helmet, but was not wearing practice cleats and, per AL.com's Michael Casagrande, did not warm with the other quarterbacks -- nor did he even touch a football during the open window. Alabama HC Nick Saban said on Monday that the star junior was dealing with a bit of soreness in his surgically repaired right ankle after gutting it out to throw for 418 yards and four touchdowns in Saturday's loss to LSU. We'll continue to keep a close eye on Tua's progress over the remainder of the practice week. If he ends up scratched for the weekend, Mac Jones would start in his place against Mississippi State upcoming.

SOURCE: AL.com

Nov 12, 2019, 5:50 PM ET

Certainly after watching the LSU-Bama game, Burrow was the more impressive QB. I was surprised how little zip Tua was able to get on his throws. He reminded me of a young Phillip Rivers.
Might have something to do with him throwing off one leg

Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa was carted off the field and taken to the locker room in the second quarter of Saturday's game against Mississippi State due to an undisclosed injury.

Uh oh. Tagovailoa (6'1/218) has been dealing with soreness in his surgically-repaired right ankle this week, but ended up drawing the start versus the Bulldogs. It's not immediately clear whether the injury which forced him out before halftime was an aggravation of that ankle injury, but regardless, Tagovailoa needed real assistance before being carted off. With the Crimson Tide up 35-7 in the second quarter, we would expect that Tua is done for the afternoon. Mac Jones will work the remainder of the game in his place. We'll pass along word on Tagovailoa's status and outlook as information becomes available.

SOURCE: Alex Byington on Twitter

Nov 16, 2019, 1:35 PM ET

Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa (hip) has been taken to St. Vincent Medical Center in Birmingham via helicopter after leaving Saturday's game at Mississippi State in the second quarter.

Tagovailoa (6'1/218) underwent X-rays at Davis-Wade Stadium, with the results unknown at this point in time. But for him to be taken to a hospital via helicopter is certainly a concerning development for the junior quarterback. Mac Jones filled in for the remainder of Saturday's game, and he'd be the starting moving forward if Tagovailoa is unable to return to action. Alabama hosts Western Carolina next weekend.

SOURCE: Cecil Hurt on Twitter

Nov 16, 2019, 3:25 PM ET

Per ESPN's Molly McGrath, Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa is undergoing X-rays on his right hip after being carted off the field in the second quarter of Saturday's game against Mississippi State.

Tagovailoa (6'1/218) was carted off the field in significant pain in the second quarter, with McGrath passing along that he was "screaming" in agony when later taken off the cart. He was already dealing with a sore surgically-repaired right ankle, but this new apparent hip injury sounds as though it could be a significantly larger concern. Mac Jones will fill in at quarterback for the remainder of Saturday's contest, but obviously, the larger worry here is that Tagovailoa could end up missing real down-the-stretch time. We'll stress that it's still early and we don't have all the information. But this sounds bad.

SOURCE: Creg Stephenson on Twitter

Nov 16, 2019, 1:44 PM ET

Alabama junior QB Tua Tagovailoa reportedly suffered a fractured right hip during Saturday's win over Mississippi State, according to Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy.

It goes without saying that this would qualify as terrible news. Tagovailoa (6'1/218), who was already nursing a high ankle sprain, was injured late in the second quarter and had to be carted off the field. After undergoing X-rays at Davis-Wade Stadium, the junior quarterback was taken to St. Vincent Medical Center in Birmingham via helicopter. If the injury, which Nagy compared to the one that ended Bo Jackson's football career, is as serious as reported Tagovailoa may have played his final game of the 2019 season.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Nov 16, 2019, 4:01 PM ET

Okay so he's out for the year... Does he still declare for the draft?  This injury has got to really effect his stock. Does he try to go back to school and be the 1st overall pick next season?

Obviously it's early, but I doubt a guy with a broken hip would be drafted in the top 5.  That's a bizarre injury that guys in their 20s just don't suffer unless they're in a car accident or something.  

I feel really bad for this guy.  

If the injury, which Nagy compared to the one that ended Bo Jackson's football career, is as serious as reported Tagovailoa may have played his final game of the 2019 season.
The injury sounds the same but the way it happened seems different. Bo was streaking away from a DB when he was tackled. Tua’s injury seemed like an almost normal play, though he was also running away from 2 defenders.

Bo's injury was off the top of my head the saddest most tragic one I can recall.  But this one would be on the list, this is why I never object a college kid taking whatever he can get.  He probably shouldn't even have been on the field given the time span of these ankle injuries and to his credit, he was a team first guy.  To the massive discredit of Saban and Bama, no one thought to save the kid from himself.  

I can only hope the hip technology will have progressed dramatically in the 30 years since Bo had his injury.  

Different injury, but Willis McGahee had a severe knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl national championship in 2003. His knee was bent backwards tearing his ACL and MCL. He went from a projected top 5 to projected 3rd round, but give credit to Drew Rosenhaus for a big PR  campaign and he was picked 23rd overall by Buffalo, sitting out the entire 2003 NFL season. He decided to forego a 2.5 million insurance policy to enter the draft. He had a decent NFL career, 2 pro bowls, but wasn't the same rb after the injury.

I can't imagine that Tua would have a lesser insurance policy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_McGahee

I may be wrong, but I thought that while the hip injury was a factor, Bo Jackson had some condition that was discovered that ultimately was what created the complications that ended his career.

Bo's hip injury led to a low of blood flow to the area that damaged bone and cartilage. But I think they didn't discover the problem until a few weeks after the injury.

I'm guessing 28 years later they've got better techniques and are on high alert got such things regarding Tua.

If it’s just a fracture then I would think that bone would heal. If it’s a fracture and the femoral head loses blood supply it could be catastrophic. Really hoping it’s the former.

Users who are viewing this thread