What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (2 Viewers)

My comment is largely tongue in cheek, but the injury plus other QBs make it possible. 

Unless he recovers much faster than expected he's probably the 3rd QB taken. Preferably by a team with an adequate veteran (not unlike Mahomes when drafted). 

Pats could put a package together with next year's picks. But if I were to make a serious guess, he's a Colt. And I don't like it. 
Dolphins

Colts are reportedly all over Love. 

If I had to predict the 1st round:

Burrow: CIN

Tua: MIA

Herbert: SD

Love: IND
God I hope the Colts don’t take Love.  Wasn’t there some recent off the field issues with him?  If yes, Ballard won’t have anything to do with him.

[Rapoport] One reason #Bama QB Tua Tagovailoa declared for the NFL Draft: I’m told his visit to NY to get an update on his medical situation was all positive. He has more tests at 12 and 16 weeks, but he got a solid before saying he was NFL bound.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1214238738211061760

Rotoworld:

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa announced he will forego his senior season and enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

This was always the expected outcome for Tua, though obviously the hip injury he suffered in November was a hit to his once-booming draft stock. With that in mind, it's hard to envision Tagovailoa falling too far following a miraculous Tuskaloosa tenure that included, among other accomplishments, 87 touchdown throws, a remarkable 69.3 completion percentage and a legacy-defining performance in the 2018 title game. The 21-year-old is a tad undersized at 6'1" but his relatively short stature—at least for an NFL quarterback—is more than offset by his accuracy and impressive leadership qualities. He could be in play for the QB-needy Dolphins at pick No. 5.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 6, 2020, 12:18 PM ET

Agreed. Good decision. I’m happy he got positive reports on his follow up with the doctors. 

I think some team will pay to move ahead of Miami to get Tua. If Miami wants Tua, they will need to move up from 5 to 2. Chase is very logical pick for WASH, but they need everything, so I could see them moving out of that slot, and trading to a QB-needy team ( MIA, INDY, SD are good examples).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some team will pay to move ahead of Miami to get Tua. If Miami wants Tua, they will need to move up from 5 to 2. Chase is very logical pick for WASH, but they need everything, so I could see them moving out of that slot, and trading to a QB-needy team ( MIA, INDY, SD are good examples).
A team is going to have to give a lot to move to 2. Borderline crazy offer. 

As much as i like tua, I just don't see giving enough unless he gets healthy quick.

-OZ- said:
A team is going to have to give a lot to move to 2. Borderline crazy offer. 

As much as i like tua, I just don't see giving enough unless he gets healthy quick.
As a life long Skins fan I am praying someone offers us an RG3 type package to give up 1.2 pick.  Its not that I don’t want Chase, but this team has a lot of needs (line, TE, CB, WR, RB if Guice can’t stay healthy) 

I'd root for Tua all day long, but right now its hard for me to see him returning value to a team for the spot he will be taken. But taking stock of the position as a whole, maybe you don't even need value from a top pick at QB, just someone who can legitimately play the position, as so few can.

Dr. Dan said:

From everything I heard they are sticking with the QB they currently have on the roster. They feel he’s proven that he vlcen when and want to give him a full off season to prepare and a full season to see how he does. They are going to give him next 2020 to make it or break it. If he does they’ll give him a contract extension. Which makes total since to me.

The real shark move is to grab this guy NOW!

Tex

I will rephrase: I see a lot of teams trying really hard to trade up to get a qb

irsnvery possible he doesn't like to trade down, or won't, but I think a very good offer may be there to tempt him to. This is a year to trade up for a qb
yup. there's always a first time.  

Just seems weird that when injury happened some were saying possible career ending or in the least career changing and now he’s being talked about as #2 or top5 pick like injury never happened 

In Mike McCarthy, the Cowboys Get Experience and a Proven Track Record

Excerpt:

Tua Tagovailoa’s decision to declare for the 2020 draft was met with affirmation from across the NFL that he made the obvious (and correct) call after dislocating his hip in mid-November. Another injury would have effectively ended his hopes of being a first-rounder, and cost him not only money but perhaps opportunity to have a team install him as a long-term answer at the position. As it stands now, injuries are still a concern, but he has good, recent tape, and reasonable results from his medicals at the combine should keep him in the Day 1 discussion. 

“If his hip clears, I still think first round—I’d say third quarterback off the board if healthy,” said one NFC exec. “His mobility, ability to run the RPOs, his playmaking ability, that’s all there. Very calm demeanor on the field. Command. And he’s an accurate passer with good touch and a very good deep ball thrower.” 

An NFC college scouting director added, “He’s very talented. I think the injury history is obviously going to be a major factor on where he ends up and it should be. If you are a team that needs a guy to go on day 1, turn the thing around and help you compete for 16 weeks, he may not be for you. He hasn’t been able to stay healthy for 12. If you have an aging vet, and you draft him for the future and let him get healthy, and continue to grow as a player, I think that would be best case scenario for him and the drafting team.” 

I think Tagovailoa has a shot to maybe even be the second quarterback to go— he’ll battle for position with Oregon’s Justin Herbert. To me, that’s more than enough to justify a move to the NFL, and leave all the risk he’d face otherwise behind.

Just seems weird that when injury happened some were saying possible career ending or in the least career changing and now he’s being talked about as #2 or top5 pick like injury never happened 
He had a very important medical meeting last Friday, which showed he was progressing very well...I think there's a ton of uncertainty in this injury, but if he's healing and moving well...likely worth the shot.

He had a very important medical meeting last Friday, which showed he was progressing very well...I think there's a ton of uncertainty in this injury, but if he's healing and moving well...likely worth the shot.
Right. If he keeps progressing he'll be top 5 easily. 

I've been pessimistic about the injury, but if he does continue to show good recovery, a team is going to take him high. 

I think teams are still willing to gamble.  And I know that everything has been positive on him so far post operation. That said, I still would not touch him in the first round. Period. The orthopedic surgeon I work with said the odds are against him returning to elite status, and that if he does return to top form, there is a very high risk of the NFL life wearing out that previously injured hip in short order. It’s truly a time will tell scenario. Just a devastating injury for him and I feel terrible for him. Tua says that he still projects to try and play next year. Honestly I think we all know that is extremely unlikely. 

Someone bring me up to speed on his injury and was it different from Bo Jackson's football career ending injury.  Yes, he's a QB and not a RB but.......

How long has Tua Tagovailoa been? Injury timeline, return date, latest updates in Alabama QB

Excerpt:

What is Tagovailoa's injury?

Tagovailoa, by the way, has a dislocated hip, an injury that is generally not seen on the soccer field; It is a high impact injury that is most typically seen in car accidents. It is also an injury more associated with former Auburn and Los Angeles Raiders runner Bo Jackson, although former Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley, who is still playing in the NFL, suffered a dislocated hip in the 2012 BCS championship game.

One of the immediate questions related to Tagovailoa's injury is whether he has a similar prognosis to Jackson, who never played football after suffering the injury against the Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC divisional round of the 1990 season. Later It was discovered that he had cartilage damage in the area and finally it was an avascular necrosis of the hip joint.

While Tagovailoa is still in tests and evaluation, one potentially noticeable difference Between his injury and Jackson's, his hip was immediately treated by trained professionals on the site, while Jackson reportedly returned his hip to the side, damaging the blood vessels in the area, and continued playing in it (although no other play was recorded) Dr. Lyle Cain, orthopedic surgeon of the Alabama team, said Tagovailoa's injury was reduced on Saturday inside Davis Wade Stadium, which means that Tagovailoa's hip was damaged minimum.

"TUA TAGOVAILOA SUFFERED A DISLOCATION OF THE RIGHT HIP THAT WAS IMMEDIATELY REDUCED IN THE STADIUM," CAIN SAID. "HE UNDERGOES MORE TESTS TO DETERMINE THE BEST COURSE OF TREATMENT. HE IS EXPECTED TO RECOVER COMPLETELY, BUT THE REST OF THE SEASON WILL BE LOST."

However, one possible complication with Tagovailoa recovery is a posterior wall fracture (another similarity with Jackson's injury): here is the definition of posterior wall fracture, from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons:

"FRACTURES OF THE POSTERIOR WALL OF THE ACETABULUM (HIP CAVITY) ARE THE MOST COMMON TYPE OF ACETABULAR FRACTURE, AND REPRESENT APPROXIMATELY 25 PERCENT OF ALL ACETABULAR FRACTURES. THE SIMPLE APPEARANCE OF THE FRACTURE OF THE POSTERIOR WALL IN SIMPLE RADIOGRAPHS UNDERESTIMATES ITS POTENTIAL COMPLEXITY INSTEAD OF HAVING A SINGLE FRACTURE FRAGMENT, MOST POSTERIOR WALL FRACTURES ARE COMMINUTED OR HAVE AREAS WHERE THE JOINT SURFACE ALONG THE MARGIN OF THE PRIMARY FRACTURE LINE IS IMPACTED IN THE UNDERLYING SPONGY BONE IN GENERAL, FRACTURES OF THE POSTERIOR WALL ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO NON-SURGICAL TREATMENT IF THE REST, THE INTACT PART OF THE ACETABULUM IS LARGE ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN THE STABILITY AND CONGRUENCE OF THE HIP JOINT; HOWEVER, THIS SITUATION IS OFTEN DIFFICULT TO DETERMINE. IT HAS BEEN SHOWN THAT THE CLINICAL OUTCOME IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE PREC REDUCTION ISION, BUT WITH PRECISE REPOSITIONING OF ALL SMALL POSTERIOR SEGMENTS. WALL FRAGMENTS IS OFTEN A DIFFICULT TASK. "

The reported recovery periods for a dislocated hip are 6 to 8 weeks, while the acetabular fracture is three to four months.

To me the comparison while not the same injury is Drew Brees. He was basically said to have a career ending injury, medical staff for teams (ie Dolphins) balked at the risk of injuring it again or ever being fully right. Instead they picked the balky knee of Duante Culpepper and what seemed like routine injury to recover from.  Yea that worked out well. If there are no glaring red flags and you are a team that isn't going to win the Super Bowl next year and can afford to let him sit if needed I say he has far more upside then a Herbert, you take the chance.

I get your point, but it won't be like the injury never happened. If the injury never happened he'd go 1 or 2, but the difference is we'd all just be debating which teams gives up a bunch of 1sts to move up and get 2 for him or Burrow. 

Anything is possible 2-3-4...

Washington, hard to not take Chase Young, seems like a can't miss DE that could be a potential HoF type of playaer. They just don't come along very often and it can change your whole defense. I would think RIvera would have an easy time grabbing him, Snyder's decision to hold off on a GM until he and Rivera take who they want at #2 and I believe they are not interested in coming off this pick, just my opinion but the tea leaves are lining up. 

Detroit's Matt Stafford was on pace for about 5,000/38-40 TDs, that's an awful lot and towards the beginning of the season I thought we had an improved team but then the wheels came off and Stafford ended up missing half the season. His contract also would not allow for him to not see the field for at least 2020 and into 2021 so I guess they could draft Tua and let him rest for a couple years but that seems like an odd choice for a head coach likely coaching for his career at least in Detroit next season. 

And then the Giants are simply in great position to trade down if someone like oh say San Diego wanted to move ahead to take their future or present QB for 2020? They are probably in a race with Miami move up. 

And as a Phinsfan I would prefer we sit this one out. It's a deep draft class and we could find another later on in the same draft. I know Tua is super accurate, I am slightly scared of his injury and possible other injuries that could happen to a guy that might not be the biggest on the field and perhaps cannot handle the wear and tear. He's been a deligh in college prior to the injury. 

I think the injury kind of distracts from the question of if Tua is really that great of a prospect to begin with. I am far from an expert but I didn't think he looked like a top 10 QB. 

Isn’t that like Kathy Bates explaining to us why Kate Beckensale isn’t that good looking?
Maybe but it's also unfair because we haven't seen Tua in the NFL yet either. It's not going to take much to have a better pro career than Leaf but at this point they are pretty equal- Heisman contenders, led great teams in tough conferences to successful seasons, being projected as top 5 picks. So Leaf might look like Kathy Bates now but when he was the same age as Tua, he was looking like Terri Hatcher. 

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (hip) will reportedly throw for NFL teams before the 2020 NFL Draft.

Tagovailoa is on track to be "healthy" by April and is planning on participating in a 40-minute throwing session for NFL teams. If things go as planned, Tua will throw between 60-80 passes during that time. The Alabama stud has the potential to be drafted inside the top-three picks but needs to prove that his dislocated hip can hold up in the NFL. Team doctors will obviously play a major role in Tagovailoa's draft process. On the field, Tua is one of the most accurate and accomplished passers to enter the draft in recent memory.

SOURCE: AL.com

Jan 14, 2020, 8:15 PM ET

What 'could' take place if he's healthy.

Planned PR tour to boost Leigh Steinberg's status at Super Bowl.  He'll attend the Combine only to interview then his day could be in March at Alabama's pro day or in April closer to the draft.  He's expected to be able to do individual team drills after his day.  Steinberg says he could sit for a year and throws out draft comps.

Alabama Football Tua Tagovailoa expected to be healthy, throwing for NFL teams by April

...Longtime NFL agent Leigh Steinberg, whom Tagovailoa hired last week, told AL.com on Tuesday that Tagovailoa is expected to hold about a 40-minute session in which he makes 60-80 throws in front of scouts.

If Tagovailoa is ready, that session could happen at Alabama’s pro day in March. If not, he could hold a separate pro day closer to the draft, which begins April 23 in Las Vegas.

“The [intention] there is the ball never touches the ground and I think he’s gonna blow away teams in that process,” Steinberg said.

...Tagovailoa continues to rest. He will travel to the Super Bowl in Miami next month with teammate Jerry Jeudy, who also signed with Steinberg, and take part in Steinberg’s party as well as radio row interviews.

...Steinberg stressed that he will maintain “very steady communication” and “transparency” with NFL teams during Tagovailoa’s recovery and pre-draft process.

“It’s total honesty with teams,” he said.

That will continue at the combine in Indianapolis beginning Feb. 25, where Tagovailoa will go through interviews with teams but will not participate in drills or throw.

But as the draft approaches, the expectation is Tagovailoa will be able to participate in a pro day and take part in individual on-campus workouts for teams.

As for where Tagovailoa will be drafted, Steinberg was open to a similar path to that of another of his clients, Patrick Mahomes. The Kansas City Chiefs selected Mahomes at No. 10 in 2017 and he sat behind starter Alex Smith for a year before exploding onto the scene last season.

“The position is so critical now, and there are a number of teams that you would think would be in market for quarterbacks," he said. "Then it’s just going to be a match. Our hope is not simply that he goes high, but he goes to a team with great ownership, good management, great coaching -- that puts him in a position to have a long-term future filled with success.

"If he ends up going somewhere and would have to sit for a year -- that’s what Patrick Mahomes did, that’s what Aaron Rodgers did, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer -- that’s not the worst thing in the world either.”

I think the injury kind of distracts from the question of if Tua is really that great of a prospect to begin with. I am far from an expert but I didn't think he looked like a top 10 QB. 
Ok then. 

Just curious, how often did you watch him play? 

He could definitely fail in the NFL, but the guy can ball. 

If I could choose his destination, he's a Charger. They'd probably have to move to 3, maybe 2. But a year behind Rivers could be very beneficial. Or Miami if they keep Fitz a year.

Ok then. 

Just curious, how often did you watch him play? 

He could definitely fail in the NFL, but the guy can ball. 

If I could choose his destination, he's a Charger. They'd probably have to move to 3, maybe 2. But a year behind Rivers could be very beneficial. Or Miami if they keep Fitz a year.
A good amount since they are always on TV. Again, I’m far from an expert. He’s just not that impressive to me considering he has maybe the best WR trio ever.

Rotoworld:

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa is expected to be able to throw for NFL teams in April.

Tagovailoa's agent, Leigh Steinberg, said his client is expected to make 60-80 throws over 40 minutes in front of scouts in advance of the 2020 draft in April. Steinberg said the NFL could even see Tua throw at Alabama's pro day in March if he's ready. If not, he figures to be by April. In November, Tua underwent surgery to repair a dislocated and fractured hip. Per Steinberg, doctors are "quite sure" Tagovailoa will make a full recovery.

SOURCE: AL.com

Jan 15, 2020, 6:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread