What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (1 Viewer)

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports that none of the scouts and personnel men he has spoken with believe the Washington Redskins are serious about drafting Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa.

Miller checked in with "over a dozen" trusted insiders, not one of whom buys that Washington is really, seriously looking into drafting Tua. The team met with the Alabama star at the NFL Scouting Combine, fueling an internet's worth of speculation in the process. Miller relays that one rival general manager told him that the Redskins' approach is a good one, with that GM saying, "Let it out there you are doing quarterback work and hope someone offers you three first-rounders for the pick—because that's game-changing capital." And if no trade materializes, you just draft Chase Young.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 6, 2020, 2:42 PM ET

"Let it out there you are doing quarterback work and hope someone offers you three first-rounders for the pick—because that's game-changing capital."
Brilliant piece of troll work by this hero of a GM.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa had his four-month scans on his dislocated hip and they were, "very good with no concerns."

Rapoport added, "Essentially, as positive as possible. Accordingly, he’ll now begin the slow progression of activity to get his body ready for play." It's more great news for the potential top-two pick, who has continued to reportedly receive positive updates during his recovery. Even if the Redskins ultimately decide to not pull the trigger, a clear slate of health should be enough for Tagovailoa to hear his name called within the top-five picks of the 2020 draft.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 9, 2020, 3:45 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Cole Thompson wrote that the Chargers are a potential fit for Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa.

Los Angeles will begin a new era this year, as Philip Rivers has signed with the Colts. Tyrod Taylor appears to be "the man" in 2020, which sets up well for the Chargers to select a quarterback early but not feel compelled to rush him into action. Enter Tagovailoa (6'1/218), who despite being on track to receive full medical clearance from the hip injury that ended his 2019 season prematurely may be a player that a team doesn't want to risk putting on the field immediately. "Tagovailoa’s hip injury will likely have him holding a clipboard early in 2020," Thompson wrote. "That said, the junior has all the mechanics and upside to be the top quarterback from this class when we look back on it in 15 years or so." Los Angeles currently has the sixth overall pick, one spot behind the Dolphins. Miami has long been rumored as the team most likely to pull the trigger on drafting Tagovailoa, so the Chargers may need to trade up if Tua is their man.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Mar 23, 2020, 1:04 PM ET

A former NFL GM who spoke with the South Florida Sun Sentinel's Dave Hyde is scared by Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa's injury history.

"Tua’s health/size scares me. I don’t see the Steve Young-like comparisons. I think he’s going to struggle to stay healthy," the former general manager told Hyde. Tagovailoa is currently rehabbing from a serious hip injury sustained in November. He reportedly received medical clearance for football activities at the beginning of the month and recently posted to social video a video of himself throwing. While it's stellar that Tua looks on track with the hip, he also has a history of ankle injuries, leading to the injury reticence you hear from the above general manager. Or as another former GM put it to Hyde of the possibility of the Dolphins selecting Tagovailoa at No. 5, "You could hit a home run or get nothing out of it."

SOURCE: South Florida Sun Sentinel

Mar 28, 2020, 5:44 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa (hip) underwent a medical re-check facilitated by the NFL Combine and received "overwhelmingly positive" news.  

Garafolo's colleague Ian Rapoport reports Tagovailoa has "fulfilled all medical obligations." It's the best possible news, though teams potentially drafting someone with Tagovailoa's health history would typically be put at greater ease by an in-person visit. So is life during the time of coronavirus. Tagovailoa's rehab has gone off without a hitch since his devastating November injury. He is appearing quite likely to come off the board in the first five picks, and possibly as high as No. 2 following a trade-up. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

Apr 2, 2020, 2:41 PM ET

One team in the top 10 of the draft failed Tua Tagovailoa's physical, according to Michael Lombardi on the latest episode of GM Shuffle (9:20 mark)

And Lombardi mentioned that teams are also worried about his ankle and wrist injuries, not just the hip

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1458884463/e/1586364199

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa's agent insists his client's surgically-repaired hip is not a re-injury risk. 

"(His doctors) have been very clear that Tua's health is fine," agent Leigh Steinberg insisted. "There's no recurrence that's going to happen here. ... These health concerns are overblown." Hip injuries are amongst the most difficult for football players to come back from, but by all accounts, Tagovailoa's rehab has indeed been seamless. With the coronavirus pandemic preventing in-person visits, teams may still have more questions than they would in a normal year. Nevertheless, Tagovailoa seems poised to come off the board in the first five picks. 

SOURCE: Adam Beasley on Twitter 

Apr 9, 2020, 2:30 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller spoke with one NFL source who believes that multiple teams have likely docked Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa due to health concerns.

Per Miller, this particular source's team has "failed" Tagovailoa on the medical front. And there are probably others out there, as well. Writes Miller, "[Tua] can pass the physicals now and be cleared to play, but what will his hip look like in three or five or 10 years? That's the question most people around the NFL are asking this week." The Alabama gunslinger's agent relayed that the quarterback has received full clearance from two of his doctors, but the question here seems to very much be more about the long term, rather than the short term. And the long term is simply impossible to know for certain at this stage. While the Dolphins have long been linked to Tagovailoa with the No. 5 overall pick, Miller estimates that 90% of what he has been hearing recently is that Miami prefers Oregon QB Justin Herbert. 

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 10, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

One team in the top 10 of the draft failed Tua Tagovailoa's physical, according to Michael Lombardi on the latest episode of GM Shuffle (9:20 mark)

And Lombardi mentioned that teams are also worried about his ankle and wrist injuries, not just the hip

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1458884463/e/1586364199
The GM Shuffle with Michael Lombardi and Adnan Virk

Tua has flunked two physicals so far per Michael Lombardi

“What they saw is the fact that it’s not just his hip. It’s his ankle. It’s his wrist,” Lombardi said. “He broke his wrist the first day of spring ball one year, and then they fixed it and he came back and rebroke it again. I mean, he’s brittle. He is brittle. You can’t deny it. He’s a really good player. … I’m not disputing the evaluation. I’m saying that if you’re picking a quarterback, it’s really hard to pick a good one. It’s even harder with a guy who can’t stay healthy. That’s my point. “Two teams I’ve talked to have flunked him. They flunked him on not just the hip, (but) on the multitude of injuries. The risk far outweighs the reward.”

Seems like teams are using "failed" and "flunked" pretty liberally.

It suggests "not worth the risk" more than it does "still hurt and likely to stay that way".

Which is fine, but it's inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like teams are using "failed" and "flunked" pretty liberally.

It suggests "not worth the risk" more than it does "still hurt and lonely to stay that way".

Which is fine, but it's inaccurate.
Agreed. How can one “fail a physical” that a) didn’t happen through direct contact and b) is based on a future projection? 

Yeah I don't buy any of these stories. Teams are likely jockeying for leverage in trades with Detroit. 

Agreed. How can one “fail a physical” that a) didn’t happen through direct contact and b) is based on a future projection? 
Because that's how physicals work.  They are in part predictive.  When a guy has spinal stenosis or a heart condition they aren't passed because they are fine to perform now, they are failed because there's future risk that outweighs the ratio between the cost to acquire and the benefits of having them for "a while".

Last edited by a moderator:
Because that's how physicals work.  They are in part predictive.  When a guy has spinal stenosis or a heart condition they aren't passed because they are fine to perform now, they are failed because there's future risk that outweighs the ratio between the cost to acquire and the benefits of having them for "a while".
That's reasonable. Just seems like a pretty different use of "failed," especially in a football context. 

Even then, the threshold for "failure" is subjective.

It's shocking to me that half a dozen teams are going to pass on probably the biggest star in the 2020 draft class because they can only talk to his surgeon and can't give him an in-person physical themselves. It's a weird league.

An anonymous NFL executive expressed "serious concern about the durability" of Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa to The Athletic's Bob McGinn.

McGinn has conducted these polls with executives and scouts for 36 years.  Quotes were made anonymous starting in 2015.  That executive wasn't the only one of the 18 polled to slam Tagovailoa.  "I don’t want to put my whole franchise on a left-handed, beat-up, 6-foot quarterback.  No thank you," said an AFC personnel man.  “He’s a great college player but, wow, he is fragile,” another AFC personnel man said.  “He’s a super kid and I don’t wish ill will, but there’s three, four or five red flags staring us all in the face saying, ‘You know what? This guy’s not going to be all that he’s cracked up to be.’”  Some teams have expressed concern about Tagovailoa's hip injury being a problem again in a few years, causing concern when he's due a second NFL contract.  On top of the hip, Tagovailoa has also had surgeries on both ankles for high-ankle sprains, a sprained knee, and hand surgery.  He's already been pretty banged up in his career.  At least three teams have removed Tua from their draft boards completely.  His draft night could be interesting.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 17, 2020, 9:45 AM ET

It's shocking to me that half a dozen teams are going to pass on probably the biggest star in the 2020 draft class because they can only talk to his surgeon and can't give him an in-person physical themselves. It's a weird league.
From an entertainment standpoint, I'd be pretty funny if he fell to say, New England, or at least to an area where they can afford to trade up to.

If he's still there at 14, I could see Tampa taking him as an heir apparent to Brady. 

Seems like decent chance he does fall-  never know of course only takes one team to pick him high- but would certainly add intrigue to the draft

Speaking with The Athletic's Bob McGinn on Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa, an AFC personnel director said, "[w]ow, is he fragile."

"[Tua]’s a super kid and I don’t wish ill will, but there’s three, four or five red flags staring us all in the face saying, ‘You know what? This guy’s not going to be all that he’s cracked up to be,'" the personnel director said. Another club executive explained to McGinn that while his team's doctors believe Tagovailoa's health outlook is "probably" good for the short term, the concern, here, is with long-term durability. Tagovailoa underwent procedures on both ankles, his hand and his hip during his time at Alabama. The hip injury is the most recent, but even before that serious blow sustained in the fall, Tagovailoa did not have a clean bill of health. Whether any of this leads to an outright slide early on in the draft will be determined less than a week from now.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 17, 2020, 2:11 PM ET

Faust said:
That executive wasn't the only one of the 18 polled to slam Tagovailoa.  "I don’t want to put my whole franchise on a left-handed, beat-up, 6-foot quarterback.  No thank you," said an AFC personnel man.  “He’s a great college player but, wow, he is fragile,” another AFC personnel man said
3 teams said Tua was off their draft board.  So if those teams were KC, Hou, and Sea ...  well that's pretty meaningless.  All that matters is what MIA, LAC, and JAX think of him.

King of the Jungle said:
This is going to be such a fun draft to see where the chips fall. There will be some shockers for sure. 
This is why mocks this year are so meaningless.  Starting with pick 3 anything can happen.  Trades, QBs falling, no sense of which OT or WR is best,  trying to trade virtually, MIA with so many picks ... gonna be great entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread