What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moving Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

My mom grew up as an Army brat. Moved all of the time. Get this, she liked it. So it stuck. Growing up my mom would move every few years. I got good at it. She remarried in the early 90s and I’m not sure my step dad knew what he was getting into. From the time I was in Middle School to when I graduated from college she moved 7 times, including 3 times in a 7 month period when they were building their dream home. 

After I graduated, I would still help them move. That dream house? It is 20 years sold and 4 houses ago. Their last move I said no way am I helping, and convinced them to do the professional mover thing. It was great. The funny thing is my Mom hated the entire experience because “It took all of the fun out of it”

My mom grew up as an Army brat. Moved all of the time. Get this, she liked it. So it stuck. Growing up my mom would move every few years. I got good at it. She remarried in the early 90s and I’m not sure my step dad knew what he was getting into. From the time I was in Middle School to when I graduated from college she moved 7 times, including 3 times in a 7 month period when they were building their dream home. 

After I graduated, I would still help them move. That dream house? It is 20 years sold and 4 houses ago. Their last move I said no way am I helping, and convinced them to do the professional mover thing. It was great. The funny thing is my Mom hated the entire experience because “It took all of the fun out of it”
Your mom is weird.

We moved 8 days ago.

Not even close to unpacking all the boxes.

This is what happens when someone in the house gets two Amazon packages a day for 7.5 years.  :kicksrock:

We close on a second home (condo) 2500 miles away at the end of December that we'll transition to a primary residence over the next year or two. All the furniture will be new and we plan on bringing other things over about once a month. We hope to hitch a trailer to our SUV for the final move and drive across country but might not even need it as we don't expect to bring anything too big with us. We'll sell or give away most furniture, electronics and houseware. We've only moved once before, having lived in our house for 25 years now, and it does suck. Trying to make this as painless as possible.
Well, when I posted this there was no way to know what was coming in 2020.

But it still came together pretty well. We managed to get all of our new furniture, appliances and TV's into the condo just before the virus hit. Just sold our house. We'll probably take one more flight to Boise where we'll bring some more stuff in suitcases. Starting in May 2020, we took a trip there every other month and brought some stuff with us. We expect to close on our house in late June/early July and it looks like whatever we have left will fit in our SUV with no problem for the drive. 

Thankfully neither of us are collectors of junk. If anything, I had more crap to get rid of than her.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Wife and I moved from NY to NC in March. It was the single hardest thing I have ever done.

We were in our old house 21 years, so we accumulated a lot of stuff. And we moved to a larger house, so while we purged a lot of the "why are we keeping this?" junk, a LOT of stuff came with us. We also don't have kids, so over the years, our money went to "us" / hobbies / etc - I have nice audio equipment, a large collection of vinyl, a movie collection that rivals a video store, tons of tools, etc. - it all came with us. 

We packed ourselves, but hired movers to move everything. Took us a month to pack up after closing on the new house (we bought the new house, then quickly sold the old privately after we closed - thank you NYC-influenced super hot real estate market). In retrospect, I should have hired the movers to pack too because it was really hard. But I was so firmly entrenched in my mancave/office that I (stupidly) felt I was the only one who could properly dismantle/pack it. I also took two truckloads down myself of things I didn't trust the movers with (audio gear/computers/etc).  One truckload for the closing trip, and one for the final move a month later.  

Unpacking took a month, and there's still a little left to do, but it's stuff that can wait until we get things painted / get some electrical work done (now that we closed on the old house, we can pour some money into this house making it the way we want.) My wife had to go find a new job (she did - got a great work at home job in mortgage closings - she started this week). I work for myself at home, so my work came with me. I took a week off to move, but started back up again amongst boxes of stuff (I still don't have a proper desk - it's coming next week, hopefully).

We were wondering how her job search would go, as we just up and moved without health insurance / job for her in place. She's 59, but a solid background in real estate closings / paralegal, so we didn't feel it would be too risky (when we closed, the closing attorney offered her a job, but the 45 min commute would have made her miserable fast.) We bought health insurance ourselves until she got something she wanted (i.e. work at home if possible, which happened).  

I actually worked myself into a double hernia from all this - between throwing out tons of junk from the old house to carrying things up to my new upstairs bonus room/office, my body said "err, you're not 35 anymore". Got that handled last week, and am well on the mend. 

So we're here in NC, new life, new adventure, waaay less snow, but still 4 seasons - exactly what we were after. Wife has a great new job, solid bennies, great house / yard / neighborhood / etc. Good place to grow old.  

But yea, moving itself sucks. If I could do it over again, I'd be a little less "only I can do that" and just let the movers pack it all up.

I am learning this... 
I will miss my home theater the most. Trying to sell my sub so I can move on to the rest. My projector is old but I'm actually hoping the new owners might want it along with the screen and rear speakers. I'm at the end of selling off my CD's on ebay. Sold my vinyl years ago, probably could have gotten a lot more now. Gave my DVD's to Good Will, they are worthless. I didn't have too many though. 

Oh, and I'll miss my Big Green Egg. The new owner was thrilled that I would leave it. 

Big downsize from our house to a one bedroom condo. We don't have kids either but our money went to expensive trips, not stuff. It'll be easy for whoever has to get rid of our stuff when we're gone. Congrats on the move! We're looking forward to the adventure too. No more shoveling for me even though it rarely snows more than 2 or 3 inches at a time. I'm glad to have all four seasons too. 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
jamny said:
Thankfully neither of us are collectors of junk.
We moved a year ago and it really wasn't that bad.  We are in our late 40's with 4 kids and while we had a lot of furniture, clothes, etc.  We didn't have a ton of "stuff" - we are both about as far from being pack rats as you can get.  I look forward to throwing things out and I've never really collected things.  Wife is pretty much the same way.  Now, having said that - I told her this was my final move until I'm well in to retirement and want to downsize.  I'm hoping to get 15-25 years here.

We moved a year ago and it really wasn't that bad.  We are in our late 40's with 4 kids and while we had a lot of furniture, clothes, etc.  We didn't have a ton of "stuff" - we are both about as far from being pack rats as you can get.  I look forward to throwing things out and I've never really collected things.  Wife is pretty much the same way.  Now, having said that - I told her this was my final move until I'm well in to retirement and want to downsize.  I'm hoping to get 15-25 years here.
We might actually upsize a bit to a 2 bedroom condo eventually. We took this one because it was about the last one in a newly constructed building right in downtown Boise. We figure we'll live there for a couple of years before deciding what to do. Lots of construction in and around the city. We might sell this one or rent it out if we move to a larger one. Right now, it's all about enjoying the city and the amazing surrounding area.

I will be looking for a small commercial space to set up a voiceover studio. My wife wants half of her walk-in closet back...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like this is worse than moving. We've been putting off the clutter for years.  Well son is getting married end of month.

So we have gone through almost every room, closests, dressers.  Moved almost everything into basement.  Got our carpets redone. And my daughter is switching bedrooms. So now I am in the process of disassemble, then moving everything into her new room.  

Oh, and we are playing bed shuffle as our new bed is coming Saturday.  We still have to bring everything back upstairs and have a couple more cabinets.

The big one is this weekend as our hoarder storage area in the basement will finally be tackled. It's going to suck.  Then the garage need to be done.   All this by June.

Oh and a stone guy is coming for our front walk in 2 weeks. It's been dizzying.

At least it will be clean when done lol

I'm sure your mother is a lovely person, but no way I could stay married to someone like this.  The thought of moving again sends shivers down my spine.

Moved across country multiple (3) times. Once solo and twice with wife and 2 kids. Absolutely one of the worst things imaginable. 

My advice, whatever you pay a reputable mover is money extremely well spent.

Retired Air Force so we have moved many times since the late 80s.  Most times the gov did the packing/moving but it is still a pain in the rump.  Once or twice we moved ourselves.  

Planning to move closer to the grandkids this fall once our house is ready.  In my mid-50s now and have no plans of trying to move myself.  Will hire a moving company.

Users who are viewing this thread