What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Watchmen HBO Series** (1 Viewer)

OrtonToOlsen

Footballguy
First EP 10/20

• Not really similar to the movie (never read the comic, sorry)
  • Solid AF cast
  • Great production value
  • A gigantic crap-ton of “wait..what’s going on”. Which is good.
  • As a huge fan of Alternative History...it had me hooked from the get-go.  

Nixon on Mount Rushmore? President Robert Redford?  Oh hell yeah.  

Big fan of the original comic which may put me at a disadvantage with respect to preconceptions. 

I assume Lindelof is going to reveal details that will merge his vision with the universe created by Moore and Gibbons but one hour in, there are pretty drastic differences between 1985 and 2019.

First EP 10/20

• Not really similar to the movie (never read the comic, sorry)
  • Solid AF cast
  • Great production value
  • A gigantic crap-ton of “wait..what’s going on”. Which is good.
  • As a huge fan of Alternative History...it had me hooked from the get-go.  

Nixon on Mount Rushmore? President Robert Redford?  Oh hell yeah.  
And whitey still gotta whitey.

And Jeremy irons.

Yes..never read the comic, so lots of wtf for me, but so far so good. Even if Don johnson riding solo in that moment seems completely inexplicable.

Ok I need to check it out. I never saw the movies and don’t do comic books but reviews sound really good. Also odd that RT has the critics loving it and the audience hating it. Is it just all the nerds who are mad because it’s not exactly how it happened in their picture book?

Very in, tho the "crash" was a hard  :rolleyes: .  Watched it with my daughter, who hasn't seen the original, so there was a bunch of half-assed 'splainin needed.  

Never seen the movie, never read the (or any) comic, and had no prior knowledge. 

I thought the episode was great, I really enjoyed it. Do you think it’s better to stay in the dark or read up on stuff?

Ok I need to check it out. I never saw the movies and don’t do comic books but reviews sound really good. Also odd that RT has the critics loving it and the audience hating it. Is it just all the nerds who are mad because it’s not exactly how it happened in their picture book?
I could also see being confused by it of no picture books were read. People who don't like to be confused and need everythimg plainly explained right away network tv-style would probably not like this either.

As far as I know there was only one movie previously.

This sounds intriguing, but I really hated the last couple seasons of Lost and Leftovers was definitely not my thing, so I’m a little wary of this showrunner. Looking forward to continuing to read your guys’ reviews. 

I have very little frame of reference - I might have seen the movie - not sure...

Is this horror genre?

hmmm still unsure  :lol:

I think I recall the movie Kelly Leak was the main guy.... but the plot and movie is fuzzy. I m sure I watched it once

Wait, a show OrtontoOlsen actually likes?  May have to watch just for that. 

Do I have to have seen the movie?

Found my copy of the original graphic novel today.  I think I last read it around 15 years ago.  I can't recommend it highly enough, even for people who don't normally read comic books. 

The e-reader version is currently on Comixology/Amazon for only $5.99.  Comics on a tablet with Guided View enabled is a very immersive experience.

Found my copy of the original graphic novel today.  I think I last read it around 15 years ago.  I can't recommend it highly enough, even for people who don't normally read comic books. 

The e-reader version is currently on Comixology/Amazon for only $5.99.  Comics on a tablet with Guided View enabled is a very immersive experience.
It's also free on the Libby app through your local public library

lots of people think so, which is why I said it wasn’t my thing and not “objectively terrible.”
Fwiw, this has a different feel than leftovers, imo. I sense that this is going to be less psychological and more action/sci-fi-political.

I loved leftovers , fwiw. But this looks like it could be interesting and quality. Hopefully a better Man in the High Castle meets...dunno. something

bigmarc27 said:
Never seen the movie, never read the (or any) comic, and had no prior knowledge. 

I thought the episode was great, I really enjoyed it. Do you think it’s better to stay in the dark or read up on stuff?
I am in same boat on this.  Never read comics or watched movie.  The squid "rain" had me baffled....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in same boat on this.  Never read comics or watched movie.  The squid "rain" had me baffled....
Prince and the revolution b-side.

They said or showed something about inter/extra-dimensional something or other, which I took in the moment to be talking about the squid. Seems like there's a lot going on with the art direction in the background explaining things that needs closer examination.

Have to figure that silent movie at the beginning is reflected in the series... Cops aren't who they seem, etc.

Thought it was very weird. Liked the movie but I'm not sure this did it for me. Will DVR the next episode but I'm not close to hooked yet.

Did they reference that in the show at all and I missed it? Cause otherwise it’s just squid all over the place.
They didn't directly reference the specific event from the comic.  In addition to the rain shower, there was a squid poster in the classroom where Angela Abar was speaking.

They didn't directly reference the specific event from the comic.  In addition to the rain shower, there was a squid poster in the classroom where Angela Abar was speaking.
I think that also had "interdimensional" written on it

Watched the premiere and will keep watching it. Very high production value and great cast so will give it a shot. Saw the movie but basically forgot what happened in it.

Squid thing was very bizarre and I hope they explain it. 

Right.  In the book, Veidt fakes the "interdimensional" squid attack and kills millions to force the world to come together in fear and back off from the brink of nuclear extinction.  And Dr. Manhattan kills Rohrsach so that he cannot unveil the truth.  But Rorsach has sent his diary to his favorite nutty right wing publisher (like a proto-Alex Jones).  

So in the series' 2019, the Seventh Cavalry has grown out of that paranoid tradition (which is why they don Rohrsach masks).  And it's why the Tim Blake Nelson character asks the guy if he believes the interdimensional attacks are government fakes. 

I really liked the pilot.  I thought it was a lot more interesting than a straight adaptation of some pretty dated material could be.  The world building is really interesting in that it borrows elements of what Moore thought of but then extrapolates it into surprising and new directions 35 years on.  

Thought it was great, looking forward to more. The world building is amazingly done. Thought the Sheriff might be an aged Nite Owl especially when they unveiled Archie, but apparently not as they made it a point to mention his name at the end.

It’s been ages since I read the original graphic novel and never read any of the others, so no idea what is going on, but you know it’s not going to be a simple explanation given the source material and the showrunner.

Maybe just me... But while I hope they explain all this stuff, I'd prefer to enjoy the ride and let the show do the explaining- and not have the comic or other source material transcribed here until afterwards, when it's clear the show isn't going to get around to it.

Right.  In the book, Veidt fakes the "interdimensional" squid attack and kills millions to force the world to come together in fear and back off from the brink of nuclear extinction.  And Dr. Manhattan kills Rohrsach so that he cannot unveil the truth.  But Rorsach has sent his diary to his favorite nutty right wing publisher (like a proto-Alex Jones).  

So in the series' 2019, the Seventh Cavalry has grown out of that paranoid tradition (which is why they don Rohrsach masks).  And it's why the Tim Blake Nelson character asks the guy if he believes the interdimensional attacks are government fakes. 

I really liked the pilot.  I thought it was a lot more interesting than a straight adaptation of some pretty dated material could be.  The world building is really interesting in that it borrows elements of what Moore thought of but then extrapolates it into surprising and new directions 35 years on.  
ok, this means nothing to me.  I hope they unwrap it a bit in the show. 

Maybe just me... But while I hope they explain all this stuff, I'd prefer to enjoy the ride and let the show do the explaining- and not have the comic or other source material transcribed here until afterwards, when it's clear the show isn't going to get around to it.
Should we edit the title to say "Graphic Novels do not Exist!" :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, the squid is so central to the story they might not feel like explaining it. Kinda like how ESPN has stopped explaining a flush beats a straight when they show poker on TV now. I guess they're willing to lose the same people that walk into Rambo 2 wondering "why does this guy have so much PTSD? They never explain it?" or go into Wrath of Khan and wonder "How come this Spock guy is suck a logical d-bag all the time? Why doesn't he just follow his heart?""

Or they could spend an hour next week filling in all the blanks. Could go either way.
:lol:

Kinda where I was going with this...we've had one episode. The show just might provide some further explanation of stuff over the rest of the season.

Wait, a show OrtontoOlsen actually likes?  May have to watch just for that. 

Do I have to have seen the movie?
I've only seen one episode, Siskel.  Not sure how good it is.

And, no, you do NOT have to see the movie or read the graphic "novel".  

Users who are viewing this thread